Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: the Ottawa concerts

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:29 pm

Ye gods, guys! What a tome. You just keep digging and digging, don't you? To add to the trivia: I wondered about the name Parmeler, but couldn't quite figure out why. The correct spelling, Parmelee, solved the puzzle: I once knew a retired Air force type who had been a mechanic on Eisenhower's helicopter, a guy named Parmelee, from the far north somewhere. I wonder if they're related. He was an aircraft conservator/restorer at Smithsonian's Silver Hill facility when I knew him.

Actually, the photo I wondered about was this one:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm

latebloomer wrote:Ye gods, guys! What a tome. You just keep digging and digging, don't you? To add to the trivia: I wondered about the name Parmeler, but couldn't quite figure out why. The correct spelling, Parmelee, solved the puzzle: I once knew a retired Air force type who had been a mechanic on Eisenhower's helicopter, a guy named Parmelee, from the far north somewhere. I wonder if they're related. He was an aircraft conservator/restorer at Smithsonian's Silver Hill facility when I knew him.

Actually, the photo I wondered about was this one:

Your photo don´t show. neither the first time you posted it nor this time. Not on my PC at least.
Anybody out there who can see the photo and repost it?

James, you´re right about it being the same medallion and not a smaller one. I believe all the photos we have from Ottawa are from the same show.
I doubt that Elvis would wear the same clothes for both the afternoon and evening shows.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Brian, I'm sorry the photo didn't come through, It shows up on ny FECC screen, and is in .jpg format. Yes, please, if anyone else can see it, try to repost?

I agree with you; I think we must have photos from only one show. I had noticed that the big medallion showed in every photo, and wondered how he could have stood to wear the same clothes for two shows. He worked up quite a sweat while performing! (In fact, one of the few things no one seems ever to have written about was how his costumes were cleaned while he was on tour, especially during 1977, when he wore the same jumpsuit over and over and over.)

The photo I sent is of Elvis in the gold coat and black slacks, but what looks like a white shirt, and is dated 3 April, Ottawa, on its face, with the Jordanaires in their plaid or checkered jackets -- but is the only one I have that is different from all the others.

Thanks,

Nancy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

latebloomer wrote:Brian, I'm sorry the photo didn't come through, It shows up on ny FECC screen, and is in .jpg format. Yes, please, if anyone else can see it, try to repost?

I agree with you; I think we must have photos from only one show. I had noticed that the big medallion showed in every photo, and wondered how he could have stood to wear the same clothes for two shows. He worked up quite a sweat while performing! (In fact, one of the few things no one seems ever to have written about was how his costumes were cleaned while he was on tour, especially during 1977, when he wore the same jumpsuit over and over and over.)

The photo I sent is of Elvis in the gold coat and black slacks, but what looks like a white shirt, and is dated 3 April, Ottawa, on its face, with the Jordanaires in their plaid or checkered jackets -- but is the only one I have that is different from all the others.

Thanks,

Nancy

From what you mention about his clothes and the Jordanaires my guess would be that the photo is from Buffalo, April 1, 1957.

SIncerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Nope just a red ex here. Can you email it? Or as Brian suggest, try checking the Buffalo page
http://scottymoore.net/buffalo.html

Right, I didn't think it logical about the same clothes either but under the mistaken premise of the medallion I had no other explanation.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm

OK, I was able to dig it out of the source. Brian was right about Buffalo. This photo has been misidentified overtime as Ottawa, sometimes Toronto but its Buffalo.
Image1.jpg

I have the uncropped version on my Buffalo page.

ottawaPC.jpg
I had to spend some time convincing the post card company that they had their card wrong.

While looking for that I noticed that I had copies of the Ottawa articles too and can now see why Ger may have mistaken the name and why I didn't catch it.
untitled11.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks, JamesVRoy, for finding a way to post that photo for me, and Brian, thanks for offering to try. We've been out all morning, so I didn't see either post until just now.

Between Elvis' costume and the Jordanaires checked coats, I wondered if the date on that photo might be erroneous. To my chagrin, I even have a nice clear copy, just like the one JamesVRoy posted -- and it was in my Toronto file! But not any longer.

JamesVRoy: Do you mean that the copy you posted is the same you and Ger had to work with all along? Why, it's nearly illegible! Anyone could have gotten anything from such a poor copy. You both stand exonerated.

Once again, gentlemen, your combined perseverence and diligence floor me. As everyone so often says: ::rocks

Nancy

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 pm

latebloomer wrote:Thanks, JamesVRoy, for finding a way to post that photo for me, and Brian, thanks for offering to try. We've been out all morning, so I didn't see either post until just now.

Between Elvis' costume and the Jordanaires checked coats, I wondered if the date on that photo might be erroneous. To my chagrin, I even have a nice clear copy, just like the one JamesVRoy posted -- and it was in my Toronto file! But not any longer.

JamesVRoy: Do you mean that the copy you posted is the same you and Ger had to work with all along? Why, it's nearly illegible! Anyone could have gotten anything from such a poor copy. You both stand exonerated.

Once again, gentlemen, your combined perseverence and diligence floor me. As everyone so often says: ::rocks

Nancy

That's the copy I got from the Ottawa library, a print from their microfilm machine that I scanned. Ger probably had something similar but I bet a lot less clear. I got the text initially from his book and used that instead of the one from the library without bothering to check. All the others I have up are from the papers I got from the library (except where noted).

By the way, I only had marginal success at getting the post card company convinced. They compromised and just relabelled it "Elvis in Canada"
http://www.valhallacards.com/detail.aspx?ID=59682

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 am

A wonderful story. Thank you, JamesVRoy.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:21 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
latebloomer wrote:Thanks, JamesVRoy, for finding a way to post that photo for me, and Brian, thanks for offering to try. We've been out all morning, so I didn't see either post until just now.

Nancy

That's the copy I got from the Ottawa library, a print from their microfilm machine that I scanned. Ger probably had something similar but I bet a lot less clear. I got the text initially from his book and used that instead of the one from the library without bothering to check. All the others I have up are from the papers I got from the library (except where noted).

By the way, I only had marginal success at getting the post card company convinced. They compromised and just relabelled it "Elvis in Canada"
http://www.valhallacards.com/detail.aspx?ID=59682

That's the same copy of the Ottawa Journal that I have James.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 am

paulsweeney wrote: That's the same copy of the Ottawa Journal that I have James.

They probably keep it on file and send it out as requested.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:40 am

paulsweeney wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:Her name was Helen Parmelee who wrote the Ottawa Journal articles. As Doc noted, the Journal ceased publishing in 1980.

After all these years we learn the transcribed name in Ger's book was wrong. Wow!

I found this on Helen, who also worked at the Toronto Telegram:

Peter Worthington married in 1957 to Helen Parmelee, a fellow reporter at the Toronto Telegram. They had one son, Casey Vickers Worthington, born in 1964, but divorced in 1967. He married another fellow reporter at the Tely, Yvonne Crittenden, in 1970. She had two children, Guy and Danielle, from a previous marriage. Danielle Crittenden is also a journalist and is married to journalist and author David Frum.

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_archives/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng&rec_nbr=4105200&back_url=%28%29

Shame on Ger ;-)

This is interesting (well, for me it is) as Peter Worthington now writes for the Sun newspaper chain in Canada. He's 85.

Peter Worthington is one of three co-founders of the Toronto Sun and was its editor-in-chief for 12 years and is now a columnist. Prior to that, for 15 years at the Toronto Telegram he covered mostly international crises, wars and revolutions, and opened the first Canadian newspaper bureau in Moscow. In WWII he was an air gunner with the Fleet Air Arm, and in the Korean war a platoon commander with the Princess Patricias. He has a B.A. from UBC, a journalism degree from Carleton University, and four National Newspaper Awards and one Citation. He is married, has three kids and six grandchildren and usually prefers animals to people.

The man is 85 and still active, that is fantastic.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:43 am

latebloomer wrote:Can you hear my attempt at a wolf-whistle? Doc, thank you for that gorgeous photo of Mia Slavenska in mid-air, and for the videos. (Ballet is another of my special interests, and that photo is a prize. And thank you all -- Brian and James and Doc and Paul -- for putting your heads together to figure out both that Helen Parmelee wrote about Elvis and Mia -- and that the big medallion must have been given to Elvis in the middle of his Toronto engagements. Well done, all!

You're very welcome. As I said, it's fascinating to discover the many other great artists who crossed paths with our hero. It makes Elvis' career that much more interesting, and provides additional context as to who he was and how he was perceived by others. Obviously, Mia was quite pleased to make his acquaintance, although I would imagine Elvis had no idea of her history as a ballerina.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 am

I wonder, Doc. Elvis liked Mario Lanza -- too bad he was a bit early for Pavarotti and Placido Domingo -- and mentions quite a lot of classical music during recording sessions. It breaks my heart to think that he might never have sat in a concert hall and heard a symphony orchestra, or seen a ballet or an opera. The many other performers who made their way to his doorstep, so to speak, surely recognized him as a stellar performer in his own right, and Mia Slavenska, to name just one, was as much an innovator and a rebel in her field as Elvis was in his.

He and Yanni would have understood each other; he and Pavarotti, another bad boy, might well have managed to set the world on fire, literally! I wonder if Beverly Sills ever met Elvis; although a great singer and actress, she is no prima dona. Just imagine a duet with Elvis and Whitney Houston: I think she had the only woman's voice since Kate Smith and Marion Anderson who could have matched his.

It's tragic that Parker never encouraged Elvis to perform with his peers. I'd like to have heard him and Tom Jones or him and Bobby Daren sing together, and he and Frank Sinatra should have performed together more than that one measley time.

What we missed!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 am

latebloomer wrote:I wonder, Doc. Elvis liked Mario Lanza -- too bad he was a bit early for Pavarotti and Placido Domingo -- and mentions quite a lot of classical music during recording sessions. It breaks my heart to think that he might never have sat in a concert hall and heard a symphony orchestra, or seen a ballet or an opera. The many other performers who made their way to his doorstep, so to speak, surely recognized him as a stellar performer in his own right, and Mia Slavenska, to name just one, was as much an innovator and a rebel in her field as Elvis was in his.

He and Yanni would have understood each other; he and Pavarotti, another bad boy, might well have managed to set the world on fire, literally! I wonder if Beverly Sills ever met Elvis; although a great singer and actress, she is no prima dona. Just imagine a duet with Elvis and Whitney Houston: I think she had the only woman's voice since Kate Smith and Marion Anderson who could have matched his.

It's tragic that Parker never encouraged Elvis to perform with his peers. I'd like to have heard him and Tom Jones or him and Bobby Daren sing together, and he and Frank Sinatra should have performed together more than that one measley time.

What we missed!

I must admit, I have never considered that.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:01 am

Enjoy These - ::rocks

Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:59 am

Nice thread and info guys

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 am

rizzy56 wrote:Nice thread and info guys

Ty Rizzy 56 - More ta be added by me and many soon Enjoy ::rocks

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 am

Elvis' day in Ottawa in photos is here;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... tawa1.html

Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 am

paulsweeney wrote:Elvis' day in Ottawa in photos is here;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... tawa1.html

Some new to me there paul thankyou.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:48 am

Hi lok Elvis in Otawa,my archives video,short video,post in youtube...

Otawa Concert footage:
phpBB [video]

http://jailhouserockclub.webs.com/index.html