Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Footage From Opening Night - Vegas 1969?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Just saw the following on www.elvismatters.com

http://www.elvismatters.be/index.php?pa ... ws&id=8809

Brian

Re: Footage From Opening Night - Vegas 1969?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:20 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Just saw the following on http://www.elvismatters.com

http://www.elvismatters.be/index.php?pa ... ws&id=8809

Brian

just read it to. just hope we can see the light of a preview.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 pm

someone buys the lots and stores it saying nothing of whats actually there

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 pm

probably too good to be true........

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:31 pm

debtd1 wrote:probably too good to be true........

I agree. Opening Night, July 31, 1969 was by invitation only and the International's staff were very hicky (it's a "southern" word that we here in the Southeastern U.S. use for meaning "weird" or "strict") concerning their picture taking policies and most definitely any video filming. If I'm correct, there weren't any cameras allowed at all - but I'm glad that we have pictures from opening night!

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Here is the actual auction site listing:

Lot #387:
1950s-70s HUGE ELVIS PRESLEY CONCERT 8mm FILM COLLECTION

Direct from the collection of Jim E Curtin, the world's most renowned collector of Elvis Presley material, a large collection of eighty-five (x85) 8mm films featuring Elvis in concert at various locales from 1969 through 1976. Many of these films were taken by Jim E himself, and are usually in lengths of 3-to-10 minutes maximum. All movies packaged in manila envelopes with detailed information printed on outside (e.g. Elvis / Lubbock, Texas / Nov. 8th, 1972 / Blue Jumpsuit (Cape Ending) / 40 feet (2½ minutes) / Super-8 Color / About 25 feet of Good Quality).

A substantial amount of films from Las Vegas and Honolulu, including his opening night at the Imperial Hotel in Vegas in July of 1969. A half-dozen of the films cover newsreels such as when he was drafted into the Army, his marriage to Priscilla, his funeral, and other Hollywood-related events.

Probably the rarest item found here is a film covering 3 minutes and 45 seconds of a 1957 performance featuring Elvis in his famous 'gold lame suit'. Quality ranges (as stated on envelopes) from Fair to Good, with a couple 'bad' reels thrown in to the lot. We have faith in Jim E Curtin's devotion to Elvis that these are ultra-rare and certainly would make a smashing addition to your Elvis collection.

121205_Curtin film reels.JPG

Bidding
Opening: $100
Estimate: $4000 - $6000

http://www.regencystamps.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=296025

The "Imperial Hotel"?

Do Jim Curtin's archives really hold such gems?

I find it hard to believe he would have never spoken of, or even published a few frames from, a Super 8 film of 7-31-1969. Collectors as visible as Curtin would have liked to show off such a rare commodity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:28 pm

If the July, 1977 poolside footage are included in these reels, then count me in.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here is the actual auction site listing:

Lot #387:

Direct from the collection of Jim E Curtin, the world's most renowned collector of Elvis Presley material, a large collection of eighty-five (x85) 8mm films featuring Elvis in concert at various locales from 1969 through 1976. Many of these films were taken by Jim E himself, and are usually in lengths of 3-to-10 minutes maximum. All movies packaged in manila envelopes with detailed information printed on outside (e.g. Elvis / Lubbock, Texas / Nov. 8th, 1972 / Blue Jumpsuit (Cape Ending) / 40 feet (2½ minutes) / Super-8 Color / About 25 feet of Good Quality).

A substantial amount of films from Las Vegas and Honolulu, including his opening night at the Imperial Hotel in Vegas in July of 1969. A half-dozen of the films cover newsreels such as when he was drafted into the Army, his marriage to Priscilla, his funeral, and other Hollywood-related events.

Probably the rarest item found here is a film covering 3 minutes and 45 seconds of a 1957 performance featuring Elvis in his famous 'gold lame suit'. Quality ranges (as stated on envelopes) from Fair to Good, with a couple 'bad' reels thrown in to the lot. We have faith in Jim E Curtin's devotion to Elvis that these are ultra-rare and certainly would make a smashing addition to your Elvis collection.

Bidding

The "Imperial Hotel"?

I find it hard to believe he would have never spoken of, or even published a few frames from, a Super 8 film of 7-31-1969. Collectors as visible as Curtin would have liked to show off such a rare commodity.

"The beautiful quartet voices you hear in the back belong to the great Internationals, ladies and gentlemen."

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

TCB-FAN wrote:If the July, 1977 poolside footage are included in these reels, then count me in.

:smt023 (I miss midnightX....)

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:22 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Here is the actual auction site listing:

Lot #387:

Bidding

The "Imperial Hotel"?

"The beautiful quartet voices you hear in the back belong to the great Internationals, ladies and gentlemen."

:lol:

To get back to reality. If this is true, it's probably silent footage.
Idea for Sony to reissue a '69 LV concert on DVD, leave everything black for 50 minutes and play a game called:
"find the 2 minutes of footage"

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 am

Robert wrote:Idea for Sony to reissue a '69 LV concert on DVD, leave everything black for 50 minutes and play a game called:
"find the 2 minutes of footage"

First 10 finders of the elusive 2 minutes of footage will receive an Elvis potato head autographed by the Colonel.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:16 am

Hi Doc

Answer to your question!

A simple NO!!

I knew Curtin better than anyone from 1973 til 10 years before he died. Just look at the boxes pictured and you can see what's there which is absolutely nothing new. Curtin was very open to me about what films he had (he bragged about things he supposedly had but didn't!) but he had nothing on film that was different than anything any other Elvis collector had. I think he had some of Jean Marc's super 8 '69 films and that was it. And IF something from '69 existed in his collection (which was supposedly sold years ago??) why didn't Regency Superior show it? Anyone thinking that they're getting something unreleased is living in a dream world!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:36 am

wwelvis wrote:Hi Doc

Answer to your question!

A simple NO!!

I knew Curtin better than anyone from 1973 til 10 years before he died. Just look at the boxes pictured and you can see what's there which is absolutely nothing new. Curtin was very open to me about what films he had (he bragged about things he supposedly had but didn't!) but he had nothing on film that was different than anything any other Elvis collector had. I think he had some of Jean Marc's super 8 '69 films and that was it. And IF something from '69 existed in his collection (which was supposedly sold years ago??) why didn't Regency Superior show it? Anyone thinking that they're getting something unreleased is living in a dream world!

Thanks, as always, wwelvis!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:56 am

The one from 1962 listed as "Return to sender" is perplexing.

Why would anyone have just the song segment from the movie on
8mm film?

Not rare. So why?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:40 am

ekenee wrote:The one from 1962 listed as "Return to sender" is perplexing.

8mm film?

Not rare. So why?

There are alot of uneducated, clueless fans with deep pockets, that's why.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
ekenee wrote:The one from 1962 listed as "Return to sender" is perplexing.

8mm film?

Not rare. So why?

There are alot of uneducated, clueless fans with deep pockets, that's why.

And more than likely the segment is SILENT!