Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis copied Bo Diddley and Jackie Wilson

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 am

Like every great artist, Elvis borrowed from many artists, including those who went before and some of his contemporaries. Unfortunately, this natural process is sometimes unfairly portrayed as "stealing" when Elvis enters the discussion. Race is a factor of course, with some feeling that Elvis was doing very little that black artists weren't already doing, and that he was only as big as he was because he was white. There's obviously some merit in the idea that a white face made the music more accessible and acceptable for some, but Elvis' own creative contribution and personal appeal should not be ignored, and nor should the fact that talented black artists such as Fats Domino did very well in this era.

Elvis was as big as he was because he was Elvis. He had looks, talent and charisma. Guys like Elvis just don't come along very often. Girls weren't screaming at Elvis in 1954 because they were relieved that they could finally lose it over a white guy playing R&B. That didn't even enter their heads. They screamed because they looked at him and were blown away.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:For Mo Fiddley to insinute that Elvis stole from him is ridiculous. The 2 are like chalk and cheese. Squiddley was a short lived rhythm and blues guitarist who made songs that mostly had the same 'shave and a haircut, 2 bits' beat that mention his own (made up) name a lot; Elvis was a rock and sock singer and entertainer who went on to be a Hollywood success with a catalogue of extremely varied material recorded over a 20+ year period.
I see no similarity in songs such as "Diddy Wah Diddy", "Bo Diddley", "Hey Bo Diddley", "Bo Diddley is loose", "Bo's Bounce" by Bo Diddley comparing them with "Peace in the valley", "Hound dog", "Trying to get to you", "I love you because" etc. These were all recorded around the time that Tiddley is jealously talking about.

It is always kind of sad to see someone rant on and on who so clearly does not understand the rich African-American traditions that so delighted and influenced the man this forum is about. Your manner is abhorrent and embarrassing, and your choice of words tell us more about you than the topic at hand.

And even sadder to keep reading a 60 plus year old man's defence of (c)rap elsewhere on this ELVIS PRESLEY forum. :smt006

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:For Mo Fiddley to insinute that Elvis stole from him is ridiculous. The 2 are like chalk and cheese. Squiddley was a short lived rhythm and blues guitarist who made songs that mostly had the same 'shave and a haircut, 2 bits' beat that mention his own (made up) name a lot; Elvis was a rock and sock singer and entertainer who went on to be a Hollywood success with a catalogue of extremely varied material recorded over a 20+ year period.
I see no similarity in songs such as "Diddy Wah Diddy", "Bo Diddley", "Hey Bo Diddley", "Bo Diddley is loose", "Bo's Bounce" by Bo Diddley comparing them with "Peace in the valley", "Hound dog", "Trying to get to you", "I love you because" etc. These were all recorded around the time that Tiddley is jealously talking about.

It is always kind of sad to see someone rant on and on who so clearly does not understand the rich African-American traditions that so delighted and influenced the man this forum is about. Your manner is abhorrent and embarrassing, and your choice of words tell us more about you than the topic at hand.

And even sadder to keep reading a 60 plus year old man's defence of (c)rap elsewhere on this ELVIS PRESLEY forum. :smt006

"60 plus year old man'? Ha-ha, you wish. I'm more than a generation away from that.

Your unending, angry, ignorant comments about African-American artists from Bo Diddley to 50 Cent are always a very embarrassing experience for registered members, not to mention anyone on the internet who stumbles upon them.

We discuss these artists on "this ELVIS PRESLEY forum" because Elvis was GREATLY INFLUENCED by African-American music and culture. This is undeniable, a part of the historical record, and you choose to put this in a box and ignore it every chance you get. It is unconscionable, inexplicable behavior.

I am not the only one here greatly offended by your words. They fuel the cliche that Elvis fans hold views that are colored by deep personal bias. And they tell us a lot about the kind of person you are. As Dylan once wrote, "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

"60 plus year old man'? Ha-ha, you wish. I'm more than a generation away from that.

Your unending, angry, ignorant comments about African-American artists from Bo Diddley to 50 Cent are always a very embarrassing experience for registered members, not to mention anyone on the internet who stumbles upon them.

We discuss these artists on "this ELVIS PRESLEY forum" because Elvis was GREATLY INFLUENCED by African-American music and culture. This is undeniable, a part of the historical record, and you choose to put this in a box and ignore it every chance you get. It is unconscionable, inexplicable behavior.

I am not the only one here greatly offended by your words. They fuel the cliche that Elvis fans hold views that are colored by deep personal bias. And they tell us a lot about the kind of person you are. As Dylan once wrote, "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

Amongst many musical influences, without doubt Elvis was influenced by and loved African - American music. I read recently an interesting article on this very subject on the Elvisinfonet site http://www.elvisinfonet.com/blues.html. The article though suggested that Elvis was influenced more by the genre than the individual.