Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The last truly great Elvis gig?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:28 pm

latest review from record collector mag...

Named after a review headline in the New York Times, a more modest version of this live album was originally released in 1972 under the title As Recorded At Madison Square Garden. With hindsight, it emerges as a pivotal collection, sandwiched between the career resuscitation of the lean and hungry Memphis recordings that followed the iconic ’68 TV special and the diminishing returns of Presley’s last few years as a tired and bloated stage performer.

This new package brings together the two full shows from which the original release was put together, and it’s a very wonderful thing indeed. Elvis is in phenomenal voice, rich and commanding on the towering balladry of Until It’s Time For You To Go, electrifying when touching base with his R&B roots on Reconsider Baby, and positively on fire during Suspicious Minds.

Seeing as its contents comprise the afternoon and evening shows from the same day there’s a fair amount of repetition, but we should be OK with that. Subtle differences between the two performances are detectable, while Presley’s stage banter (not included on the original release) reinforce the sensation of the listener actually being in the auditorium, witness to a legend effortlessly showing us how he earned the soubriquet in the first place.

"four stars"
Sony/Legacy | 88691953882 (2-CD+DVD)

Reviewed by Terry Staunton

Re: The last truly great Elvis gig?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Not a bad review but it appears the reviewer has never heard the original 1972 LP, otherwise he wouldn't wrongly say that the stage banter was not on the original release or that the original LP was a mixture from the 2 recorded shows. :roll:

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:13 pm

Tony.. wrote:Not a bad review but it appears the reviewer has never heard the original 1972 LP, otherwise he wouldn't wrongly say that the stage banter was not on the original release or that the original LP was a mixture from the 2 recorded shows. :roll:

Good call. A subtle little item that invalidates that review.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:00 pm

ekenee wrote:
Tony.. wrote:Not a bad review but it appears the reviewer has never heard the original 1972 LP, otherwise he wouldn't wrongly say that the stage banter was not on the original release or that the original LP was a mixture from the 2 recorded shows. :roll:

Good call. A subtle little item that invalidates that review.

It doesn't necessarily "invalidate" the review. One needs to read the entire piece before making that call.

What it tells me is this reviewer may be under 40 years old, or at the very least, Elvis is not someone whose career they follow on as deep a level as we do. It's a very positive critique ("four stars") which mentions why the release is worth having, and provides some context as well.

Note that the original page link should always be included when copying someone else's prose:

Prince From Another Planet -Elvis Presley |
http://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/prince-from-another-planet

The last truly great Elvis gig?
Named after a review headline in the New York Times, a more modest version of this live album was originally released in 1972 under the title As Recorded At Madison Square Garden. With hindsight, it emerges as a pivotal collection, sandwiched between the career resuscitation of the lean and hungry Memphis recordings that followed the iconic ’68 TV special and the diminishing returns of Presley’s last few years as a tired and bloated stage performer.

This new package brings together the two full shows from which the original release was put together, and it’s a very wonderful thing indeed. Elvis is in phenomenal voice, rich and commanding on the towering balladry of Until It’s Time For You To Go, electrifying when touching base with his R&B roots on Reconsider Baby, and positively on fire during Suspicious Minds.

Seeing as its contents comprise the afternoon and evening shows from the same day there’s a fair amount of repetition, but we should be OK with that. Subtle differences between the two performances are detectable, while Presley’s stage banter (not included on the original release) reinforce the sensation of the listener actually being in the auditorium, witness to a legend effortlessly showing us how he earned the soubriquet in the first place.

4 stars 4 stars 4 stars 4 stars

Sony/Legacy | 88691953882 (2-CD+DVD)

Reviewed by Terry Staunton

As for the author's query (The last truly great Elvis gig?), he should read this FECC post:

Greatest 70's concert performances
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45507&start=50#p623945

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 pm

I think it invalidates it, only because he makes statements of fact of which are not.

He is taking the concert as a stand alone item, and is just looking at it with no history basically.

There is a pro and con to that.

I too, would be jumping for joy if I did not do an A/B comparison of the original album, or the
earlier incarnation of the Afternoon show.

If you just listen to both shows without expecting too much, it looks like
a nice glossy package that oozes quality.

But, like wrote before, I am one not led by a pretty wrapping.

The flaws are evident. If you can overlook them fine.

We all have our tolerance levels.

The one thing that this package does is show how amazing ORIGINAL restored 8mm footage can be, and
how enjoyable the footage can be when dubbed with very good sound from the show.

And 16mm would be twice as good.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:17 pm

ekenee wrote:We all have our tolerance levels.

So true.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 pm

A fair review, despite the errors.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

So true.

The king out-of-context quotes strikes again.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:09 pm

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

So true.

The king out-of-context quotes strikes again.

It's not "out-of-context" at all.

I quoted the part of your reply that I felt like responding to. That's one advantage of the quoting system on this forum. Anyone may scroll up and read every word of your original post.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:09 pm

londonflash wrote:A fair review, despite the errors.

My point exactly.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Note that the original page link should always be included when copying someone else's prose:

thank you, I will remember that next time, much appreciated

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 am

sweetangeline wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Note that the original page link should always be included when copying someone else's prose:

thank you, I will remember that next time, much appreciated

You are welcome, and thank you for finding the review.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:53 am

Very positive review,OK there is an error in there but the main point about feeling like you are in the auditorium is spot on and the reason why this release to me is so good and will be my go to source for these concerts from now on.

norrie

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:43 am

londonflash wrote:A fair review, despite the errors.

Yes it is.