Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis --> Hell-Bent for Leathers in 1974!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:06 pm

The first day Elvis wore one of these two-piece leather suits he explained that his cousin Bobbie Jane ( or Jean?)) had bought it for him. He said they used to play as children but he was kept at home and when Bobbie Jane shouted to the other kids "Come on, you guys!" they all ran off "And I was left by myself."

The suits were uncomfortable. He said "They're awful snug..." and kind of did a knees bend as if to ease matters. Then later he would wear the trousers down on his hips instead of higher up. He was self-conscious about the different look too. The seam at the knee split and Elvis commented on the new suits being not so good, and a woman said loudly "I didn't like it anyway!" Elvis was obviously stung and annoyed, showing that he wasn't sure about the suits either, but later just said to her, "No hard feelings. I just thought I'd try something different - if you don't mind..." with a little touch of annoyance coming back in his voice.

The leather must have been so hot. It can't have been absorbant like the jumpsuits,and a little tiny circle of sweat would appear in the middle of his back. He must have been streaming inside. He also joked about being in trouble if you had to go to the bathroom - lace-up pants.....

So, he must have decided the leather suits were totally impractical for stage wear in all respects - hot, uncomfortable, likely to split, and people weren't that keen on the look.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:53 pm

I think the leathers in the above pictures look bad-ass. As far as his waistline goes, I wish I looked as good as he does. These photos must be College Park, he does look pretty f#$ked up.

As far as the jumpsuits go, I really like them from 1970-1974. I think he really looked good in them during that time period as they projected a superhero image that I always associated them with as a kid (and still do). I think they're awesome.

I also really like the two piece suits worn during the August/September 1972 Vegas engagement, especially the light blue Spanish Flower and the Green Floral with white pants. It was different stage attire for him and looked great. The Flying Suits worn from March to June 1975, I always thought they were god-awful. He just didn't look well at all.

I don't really think he was as big as we all make him out to be. He just didn't seem to wear very flattering stage attire from '75 on that would compensate for the bloating and extra pounds. I don't know what the solution would be, but jumpsuits don't leave much to the imagination if your even a little overweight. If I stuffed my fat ass into one of those jumpsuits at this time, I don't think I'd look very good either.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:13 pm

jparsons1969 wrote:I don't really think he was as big as we all make him out to be.

True. I have tried on one of his original suits and it fit me pretty good. And I am a slim athletic guy. It was a strange feeling to wear one of his suits by the way :!:

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:36 pm

That would be really cool. Which one was it?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 pm

chris j wrote:The first day Elvis wore one of these two-piece leather suits he explained that his cousin Bobbie Jane ( or Jean?)) had bought it for him. He said they used to play as children but he was kept at home and when Bobbie Jane shouted to the other kids "Come on, you guys!" they all ran off "And I was left by myself."

The suits were uncomfortable. He said "They're awful snug..." and kind of did a knees bend as if to ease matters. Then later he would wear the trousers down on his hips instead of higher up. He was self-conscious about the different look too. The seam at the knee split and Elvis commented on the new suits being not so good, and a woman said loudly "I didn't like it anyway!" Elvis was obviously stung and annoyed, showing that he wasn't sure about the suits either, but later just said to her, "No hard feelings. I just thought I'd try something different - if you don't mind..." with a little touch of annoyance coming back in his voice.

The leather must have been so hot. It can't have been absorbant like the jumpsuits,and a little tiny circle of sweat would appear in the middle of his back. He must have been streaming inside. He also joked about being in trouble if you had to go to the bathroom - lace-up pants.....

So, he must have decided the leather suits were totally impractical for stage wear in all respects - hot, uncomfortable, likely to split, and people weren't that keen on the look.

That is a very plausible explanation. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Despite all of that, he really did look terrific in those outfits.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm

I have never seen those pics of Elvis with the police officers. That's one for the books.

Nor had I ever seen the pic of him with the fan backstage..that's a great shot.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Justin wrote:I have never seen those pics of Elvis with the police officers. That's one for the books.

He looks very handsome in that one. IIRC, it only surfaced recently. It may not be of a fan, but a member of the Jones company. It would be neat to hear her story.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:39 pm

He must have thought a lot about the company and the clothes, as he sent Ginger on a shopping trip there at some point during their relationship - he she is in her own North Beach Leather outfit.

Ginger.jpg

ginger 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:41 pm

North Beach Leathers is clearly a rock 'n' roll clothier, which was not a bad thing for Elvis Presley to be associated with in the '70s. I may just buy the eBook if no one else does. The site shows many other stars who bought their clothing, including Hendrix and Joplin!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:42 pm

I have never seen those pics of Elvis with the police officers. That's one for the books.

Can I make a suggestion to members new and old? So many times I see people comment on photos they say they've never seen, and all the while, they've been sitting there in Paul's fantastic Candid Central site here on our own site! It's well worth pouring yourself a coffee, or a beer, and spending a couple of hours taking a look - it's an amazing collection of photos, often dated after much deliberation over in the picture section.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:North Beach Leathers is clearly a rock 'n' roll clothier, which was not a bad thing for Elvis Presley to be associated with in the '70s. I may just buy the eBook if no one else does. The site shows many other stars who bought their clothing, including Hendrix and Joplin!

And Madonna. :wink:

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:17 pm

It was a temporary mood ..nothing more..stage attire came ..stage attire disappeared.
Some clothing was only worn once or twice.
By the beginning of 1975 our hero had gained too much weight..the leather
suits had done their job. Sometimes it`s easy.. :wink:
But I have to admit..it looked cool... ::rocks

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 pm

elvisjock wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:
eligain wrote:
The only bad thing about these leather suits is that everyone was wearing them; from Tom Jones to Sonny Bono!

So you don't consider Presley's bloated gut being too big for the leather suit a "bad thing?"

The looks on the officer's faces are telling. Trained professionals had to have know Elvis was clearly under the influence of a substance or substances.

he looks proper 'dog rough' in these, and that suit is the bad one of the bunch.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 pm

DarrylMac wrote:

Can I make a suggestion to members new and old? So many times I see people comment on photos they say they've never seen, and all the while, they've been sitting there in Paul's fantastic Candid Central site here on our own site! It's well worth pouring yourself a coffee, or a beer, and spending a couple of hours taking a look - it's an amazing collection of photos, often dated after much deliberation over in the picture section.

A brilliant suggestion.

Those suits looked good on Elvis, but he was clearly very ill. Pretty thin facially, still very handsome, but his belly is awfully swollen.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 pm

It would have been great if he had worn that North Beach Leathers long rainbow fringe jacket on stage. That would have been something to see!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

DarrylMac wrote:

Thanks DarrylMac. I agree :wink:

A few 1974 links;

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... n0874.html

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... artop.html

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... vegas.html

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... r0974.html

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... s0974.html

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm

eligain wrote:It would have been great if he had worn that North Beach Leathers long rainbow fringe jacket on stage. That would have been something to see!

After the problem he had on 11-14-1970 ES, I suspect fringes were forever on the "bad" list. Or at least long ones. IIRC, something popped up in an early '71 show or two, but nothing after.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:It would have been great if he had worn that North Beach Leathers long rainbow fringe jacket on stage. That would have been something to see!

After the problem he had on 11-14-1970 ES, I suspect fringes were forever on the "bad" list. Or at least long ones. IIRC, something popped up in an early '71 show or two, but nothing after.

What problem did E had on this day doc?, ive never heard about a problem during this show

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:59 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:After the problem he had on 11-14-1970 ES, I suspect fringes were forever on the "bad" list. Or at least long ones. IIRC, something popped up in an early '71 show or two, but nothing after.

What problem did E had on this day doc?, ive never heard about a problem during this show

His long fringes kept getting caught in his mic chord, to a point where he asked Charlie to cut him loose!

701114_ES_Inglewood Forum_01.JPG

701114_ES_Inglewood Forum_02.JPG

701114_ES_Inglewood Forum_03.JPG

11-14-1970 ES
http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.com/cds/forumofinglewood.htm
http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concerts/Concert_expand.php?id=193
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:09 am

His long fringes kept getting caught in his mic chord, to a point where Charlie had to slice them!

Plus, I think he whipped himself with them a couple of times as he did his moves. It looked sensational, but wasn't the most practical!

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:54 am

jparsons1969 wrote:That would be really cool. Which one was it?

Yes, it was cool, but at the same time I felt like I didn't deserve to wear it. When I pulled it on I said something like "I am sorry, suit, I know this is a major step down from your earlier experiences, but I just have to..." :wink:

I don't like it when people try on Elvis's suits, but when I had the chance, well, I couldn't resist. At least I was very careful and respectful...I didn't do any stupid hunka hunka ETA moves.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 am

What a difference from the shots in Vegas to College Park. He always had a somewhat swolen stomach after the winter of 1973, but he looks pretty healthy in most of the summer picutres. It's amazing that as late as 1974 he looked so good at times.

I think I first saw a picture of him in the leather suits on the back of the Kickin Back LP (the first release of part of the Desert Storm show). I thought they had the year wrong because they were so small I couldn't really tell it wasn't from earlier. I didn't know the stage suits or tours by heart then. Anyhow the summer of 1974 suits are easily my favorite post 1971 or so.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:32 pm

The post-Aloha jumpsuits were never a favorite look of mine for Elvis. Very few of them did anything positive for his look, in my opinion. Having said that, I don't care for the '74 leathers, either. It just wasn't as complimentary a look as other choices would have been.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:38 pm

He looks totally stoned with the cops. Perhaps if they had arrested him, it would have helped.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Xaykev wrote:
jparsons1969 wrote:I don't really think he was as big as we all make him out to be.

True. I have tried on one of his original suits and it fit me pretty good. And I am a slim athletic guy. It was a strange feeling to wear one of his suits by the way :!:

Wow, really ?

So you'd say you were the same height as Elvis too ?

Isn't one of those leather suits owned by Eddie Murphy, who had to have the trousers taken up a couple of inches so he could wear them ?