Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

February 1972 multi-track recordings

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:49 pm

I was listening to some multi-track recordings from February 1972 released on FTD and Sony and I realized that Elvis sung "Bridge Over Troubled Water" when RCA was taping these concerts. I saw it here:

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/tours/lasv ... y+23,+1972

Is it in Sony vaults? Or didn't RCA record the song? Because I don't believe we have full concerts recorded from this time. But I wish I was wrong.

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" is one my favourite live tracks, specially in 1972.

Thank you in advance,
Renan.

Re: February 1972 multi-track recordings

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:57 pm

on talk of the town there is the first version from 1972

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:on talk of the town there is the first version from 1972

which is a soundboard in good quality

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Yes, but I do have this version.

But I wonder if RCA captured this song at least once or twice during the days they recorded some shows.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Dont think RCA recorded any versions.....or one would be on An American Trilogy-FTD

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm

KingElvis wrote:Dont think RCA recorded any versions.....or one would be on An American Trilogy-FTD

i agree and American Trilogy FTD turned out to be nothing new really, where almost half of the cd contained previous released songs.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:37 pm

A fine FTD release.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:58 pm

londonflash wrote:A fine FTD release.

Yes ! In fact, it's one of the very few CD's that gets alot of spins in my CD player. The false start of "It's Impossible" where he tells the band to "Blow It....Start The Summbitch Over" is just priceless.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Renan wrote:I was listening to some multi-track recordings from February 1972 released on FTD and Sony and I realized that Elvis sung "Bridge Over Troubled Water" when RCA was taping these concerts. I saw it here:

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/tours/lasv ... y+23,+1972

Is it in Sony vaults? Or didn't RCA record the song? Because I don't believe we have full concerts recorded from this time. But I wish I was wrong.

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" is one my favourite live tracks, specially in 1972.

Thank you in advance,
Renan.

The recordings from February '72 do indeed sound very good and 'punchy' when mixed and mastered by the right engineer. They sound great on "Burning love" (the name of a CD issued in 1999 containing a mixture of live and studio recordings from 1972) but not so good on FTD's "Standing room only". More recordings from this engagement can be found scattered all over the place on various releases such as "The sound of your cry" (the name of an LP released in the UK in 1981), "Writing for the King", "Elvis Aron Presley" box set, "An American trilogy" (the name of an FTD CD featuring a mixture of edited concert recordings and soundboard material), "Standing room only", "Live in Las Vegas" box set, "From Burbank to Vegas" (bootleg cd), the 70's box set etc. It would have been nice if FTD had released all of this material in one place at some point.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:46 am

You are right to name the Burning Love cd for having the best sound quality on these recordings. The American Trilogy cd was a major disappointment and a seriously missed opportunity. The sound quality and mix is extremely dull. I feel the Feb '72 recordings have never been presented well. Even the Vic Anesini masters are not that wonderful.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 am

I preffer the February '72 mixes by Dennis Ferrante on "Burning Love" (the album) too.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Dennis Ferrante's mix/masters of these songs are a little bright and feature added digital fx (listen to Never Been To Spain and that terrible added reverb on the maracas (?)). The recordings sound best on 2007's Viva Las Vegas release, mastered by Vic Anesini.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 am

chesay7 wrote:You are right to name the Burning Love cd for having the best sound quality on these recordings. The American Trilogy cd was a major disappointment and a seriously missed opportunity. The sound quality and mix is extremely dull. I feel the Feb '72 recordings have never been presented well. Even the Vic Anesini masters are not that wonderful.

Here we go again ...

I like the FTD, always have, and I greatly appreciate the "extras" not previously heard on any other release of the February 1972 multi-track recordings.

The incessant fan bitching on this forum about FTD is odious.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:39 am

Come now, you can't lump all fan complaints under one roof when it come to FTD - some are perfectly legitimate. In this case there are no mastering faults on An American Trilogy and I too enjoy the CD very much. It is a worthy attempt to piece together a facsimile of a Jan/Feb 1972 performance from the various few selections captured on multitrack tape. It was also good how FTD avoided as much as possible previously released versions in order to achieve this. The false start on It's Impossible is a pleasure to hear (and wouldn't have been out of place as part of the Elvis (Fool) FTD).

Finally the bonus cuts from the opening show soundboard are a nice extra on this one.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:14 pm

I enjoy nearly ALL the Feb 1972 recordings...... :lol:

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:55 pm

Matthew wrote:Dennis Ferrante's mix/masters of these songs are a little bright and feature added digital fx (listen to Never Been To Spain and that terrible added reverb on the maracas (?)). The recordings sound best on 2007's Viva Las Vegas release, mastered by Vic Anesini.

Surely that is the same 'mix' / 'remastering' as featured on the dull sounding "Standing room only" FTD set?

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Tony.. wrote:Surely that is the same 'mix' / 'remastering' as featured on the dull sounding "Standing room only" FTD set?

The natural sounding "Standing Room Only" FTD does not sound exactly the same. But at least you have your bright sounding Burning Love CD. :wink:

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:18 am

Matthew wrote:
Tony.. wrote:Surely that is the same 'mix' / 'remastering' as featured on the dull sounding "Standing room only" FTD set?

The natural sounding "Standing Room Only" FTD does not sound exactly the same. But at least you have your bright sounding Burning Love CD. :wink:

Love the natural sounding "Standing Room Only." Purged the "Burning Love" CD from my collection long ago.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Thank you for all replies.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:38 pm

exactly which tracks are live from which dates?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Can anyone post a complete listing of the live multi-track recordings officially released by RCA/BMG/Sony for February 1972? Just wondered if anyone already had that information pulled together...

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:38 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Can anyone post a complete listing of the live multi-track recordings officially released by RCA/BMG/Sony for February 1972? Just wondered if anyone already had that information pulled together...

Here's the complete RCA multi-track tape log, courtesy of Tunzi's Session III Book & Keith Flynn.

43 Tracks total. Recorded from Feb. 14th to the 17th, 1972 live at the Hilton, Las Vegas. Makes for a great 2 CD FTD set, if they ever decide to compile a complete be all & end all collection from that period.

February 14 1972 (Monday - Dinner Show)

Hound Dog

February 14 1972 (Monday - Midnight Show)

Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
Love Me
Little Sister / Get Back
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
A Big Hunk O' Love
An American Trilogy

February 15 1972 (Tuesday - Dinner Show)

Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
All Shook Up
Hound Dog

February 15 1972 (Tuesday - Midnight Show)

Also Sprach Zarathustra
C. C. Rider
Proud Mary
Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
Love Me
All Shook Up
Hound Dog
An American Trilogy
Can't Help Falling In Love

February 16 1972 (Wednesday - Dinner Show)

Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
A Big Hunk O' Love
An American Trilogy

February 16 1972 (Wednesday - Midnight Show)

Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
A Big Hunk O' Love
It's Impossible
The Impossible Dream
An American Trilogy

February 17 1972 (Thursday - Dinner Show)

Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
It's Over
A Big Hunk O' Love
An American Trilogy

February 17 1972 (Thursday - Midnight Show)

Never Been To Spain
A Big Hunk O' Love
You Gave Me A Mountain
An American Trilogy
Last edited by TCB-FAN on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:45 pm

voldto wrote:exactly which tracks are live from which dates?

Was that a trick question ?? :smt005

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:27 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
voldto wrote:exactly which tracks are live from which dates?

Was that a trick question ?? :smt005

no, want to know the exact date of the live tracks so i can compare to the multiple versions i have of these feb 1972 tracks

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:19 pm

I spent a few minutes looking up all the officially released recordings from the Feb 1972 engagement... UPDATED thanks to input from Keith and Rich

An American Trilogy FTD
Also Sprach Zarathustra (Feb 15 MS)
See See Rider (Feb 15 MS)
Proud Mary (Feb 15 MS)
Never Been To Spain (Feb 15 MS)
You Gave Me A Mountain (Feb 15 MS)
Love Me (Feb 15 MS)
All Shook Up (Feb 15 MS)
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel (Feb 15 MS)
Hound Dog (Feb 15 MS)
Little Sister / Get Back (Feb 14 MS)
It's Impossible (Feb 16 MS)
It's Over (Feb 17 DS)
The Impossible Dream (Feb 16 MS)
A Big Hunk O' Love (Feb 14 MS)
American Trilogy (Feb 14 MS)
Can't Help Falling In Love (Feb 15 MS)

Standing Room Only FTD
Never Been To Spain (Feb 16 MS)
You Gave Me A Mountain (Feb 16 MS)
It's Over (Feb 17 DS)
American Trilogy (Feb 16 MS)
Little Sister / Get Back (Feb 14 MS)
All Shook Up (Feb 15 DS)
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel (Feb 15 DS)
Hound Dog (Feb 15 DS)
A Big Hunk O' Love (Feb 16 MS)

Elvis: Live In Las Vegas 4CD Set
It's Over (Feb 17 DS)
Hound Dog (Feb 14 MS)
Little Sister/Get Back (Feb 14 MS)
American Trilogy (Feb 16)

Walk A Mile In My Shoes: The Essential 70’s Masters
It's Over (Feb 17 DS)

Writing For The King FTD
Never Been To Spain (Feb 14 MS)
Love Me (Feb 14 MS)
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel (Feb 14 MS)
A Big Hunk O' Love (Feb 14 MS)

He Walks Beside Me

Elvis Aron Presley
American Trilogy (Feb 15 MS)

Elvis’ Greatest Hits Volume I
A Big Hunk O’ Love (Feb 17 DS)
Last edited by elvis-fan on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:35 am, edited 6 times in total.