Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Why isn't complete MSG press conference incl. on "Prince

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:52 am

memfisking wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Robert wrote:I wonder how the staff meeting went when they planned the content of this boxset.

"Ernst, we're bringing on a second producer for this one - he's gonna take care of overseeing the sound, make sure it's all goosed up - you understand..."

Ernst lets out a resigned whimper...

...and then he said "you don't need to get someone in to do that. Have you not heard 9% of my FTD output?"

Classic!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was rather proud of my effort.

However, such a joke does detract from the great work that Ernst does do. The problem here is that we are not allowed to honestly talk about the not-so-good because someone comes along and derails the thread because of the part they have decided to play, or the allegiances they have. This, in turn, forces those trying to make a point that something was wrong with a release to emphasise it over and over again, and now we are at the stage where jokes are made at Ernst's expense - something that no-one making complaints ever wanted, but in order to put a point across this is what's needed due to someone derailing honest discussions.

If the person derailing the thread actually said "yes, this shouldn't have been released like this", his precious FTD label would actually have come in for far less stick over the last weeks and months than it actually has. Talk about defeating the object.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 am

Different view = "derailing the thread"

That's rich.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
robbie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Does the press conference exist in complete form in good quality?

of couse it dose it was filmed by many sources,

So many of you never take into account the realities of how the process works.

Friday, June 9, 1972 is over forty years ago.

Gathering and restoring the original elements, and getting the licensing rights, to these "many sources' might just have been outside the scope of the budget and timeline of the Prince From Another Planet project.

Food for thought.

You're talking about a 20 minute piece of film of a man sitting down answering questions in a room whilst many sources were filming and recording it, not a project filmed over a 2 month period, taking in several different locations, rehearsal rooms, concert halls, on the road, backstage areas etc etc.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I like the design and packaging, I like the sound of the cd's, but am not happy at all about the dvd footage, the way it's presented; every effort should have been made to present the press conference complete, and even to make a deal with other owners of the 8mm amateur concert footage to present the afternoon show as complete as possible, opting for the better picture quality throughout, filling in the gaps with lesser quality footage. Such a thing will be done only once, so they should have gotten it right. Some of the most touching and charming press conference moments are not present on this dvd.

I guess I'll have to turn to bootleggers again to put together a more complete product for what I consider to be Elvis' greatest 1970s showcase.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Simon1 wrote:It isn't that time consuming really. If one looks on Youtube one can see that ABC even has put its segment of the press conference online. In outstanding close up quality I might add.

Segments have appeared all over the place, on Joe Esposito's DVD there are some pieces that have never appeared elsewhere, same with Elvis Memories by George Klein, The Great Performances, This Is Elvis, the No.1 DVD some years ago, the list is endless. It's all ready and available, the will just isn't there to put it together once and for all.
And I don't see it ever appearing complete now, at least not on an official release. PFAP was THE opportunity to do it right at last, it didn't happen and I don't see it happen anymore now.

So right. This was the chance to do put it all together, regardless of the source. If we can live with a ton of black screen during the concert footgae we can certainly tolerate different sources for the press conf., I guess this leaves the door open for Tunzi to do it. Didnt he do this with the 1970 Houston press conf?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 am

r&b wrote:
Simon1 wrote:It isn't that time consuming really. If one looks on Youtube one can see that ABC even has put its segment of the press conference online. In outstanding close up quality I might add.

Segments have appeared all over the place, on Joe Esposito's DVD there are some pieces that have never appeared elsewhere, same with Elvis Memories by George Klein, The Great Performances, This Is Elvis, the No.1 DVD some years ago, the list is endless. It's all ready and available, the will just isn't there to put it together once and for all.
And I don't see it ever appearing complete now, at least not on an official release. PFAP was THE opportunity to do it right at last, it didn't happen and I don't see it happen anymore now.

So right. This was the chance to do put it all together, regardless of the source. If we can live with a ton of black screen during the concert footgae we can certainly tolerate different sources for the press conf., I guess this leaves the door open for Tunzi to do it. Didnt he do this with the 1970 Houston press conf?

Hi r&b yes he gave us the most complete version of the Houston press conference to date. And the segment of press conference that's now on PFAP is on one of his Hot Shots dvd's as well, same camera angle. If I remember correctly volume 2.
Cheers.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:15 pm

r&b wrote:

The Houston press conference was released before Tunzi on a DVD called "Elvis thru the years" (legend films). Here it was complete, in glorious quality and was probably where Tunzi ripped it from. This DVD also included a lot of Elvis' army haircut footage that was new and previously unseen.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Tony.. wrote:
r&b wrote:

The Houston press conference was released before Tunzi on a DVD called "Elvis thru the years" (legend films). Here it was complete, in glorious quality and was probably where Tunzi ripped it from. This DVD also included a lot of Elvis' army haircut footage that was new and previously unseen.

Hi Tony, I'm sorry but you are wrong here. Tunzi put the Houston press conference out on Hot Shots Before this other DVD came out. The quality was better on Tunzi's DVD also and if you look closely it was even a second or something longer than on Through The Years. They ripped it from Tunzi.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:14 pm

i was pretty sure the quality was better on thru the years you got me in doubt now :?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 pm

robbie wrote:i was pretty sure the quality was better on thru the years you got me in doubt now :?

Through the years is edited in several places, Tunzi's version is not. Look for the missing seconds! :)