Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:38 am

The argument that FTDs are some sort of home-made cut-out and stitched together products and thus are excusable from rookie production errors is laughable. They carry the Sony stamp of approval, and are produced and mastered by the same people responsible for the Sony retail releases.

Again, incase it's been missed - the wider concern here is in the glut of recent problems, not some knife in the side vendetta lying that there have been constant major issues over the entire 13 year run. Up until 2010 problems were scattered, since 2010 they are more condensed and common. Incorrect versions appearing, audio mastering errors, poor image reproductions, bad English. We don't speak up about these because it offers pleasure. I've been collecting FTD product since day 1, and have been, and continue to be a big supporter of the label and their efforts. But I am not going to wear rose tinted glasses and pretend something isn't amiss. They are not gifts, they are premium priced luxury items.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 am

I find it strange that certain posters on this board who demand 100% accuracy and verification from fellow posters can be so blase about the mistakes being made by FTD. Still, I think we are lucky to have the label

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 am

Matthew wrote:The argument that FTDs are some sort of home-made cut-out and stitched together products and thus are excusable from rookie production errors is laughable. They carry the Sony stamp of approval, and are produced and mastered by the same people responsible for the Sony retail releases.

Again, incase it's been missed - the wider concern here is in the glut of recent problems, not some knife in the side vendetta lying that there have been constant major issues over the entire 13 year run. Up until 2010 problems were scattered, since 2010 they are more condensed and common. Incorrect versions appearing, audio mastering errors, poor image reproductions, bad English. We don't speak up about these because it offers pleasure. I've been collecting FTD product since day 1, and have been, and continue to be a big supporter of the label and their efforts. But I am not going to wear rose tinted glasses and pretend something isn't amiss. They are not gifts, they are premium priced luxury items.

Excellent post.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 am

Matthew wrote:The argument that FTDs are some sort of home-made cut-out and stitched together products ...

Where is that argument? I've searched and searched and not found it.

Again, your rhetoric is tired and your view over-stated. But, hey, you've got MRS on your side now! ;-)

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:51 am

rickeap wrote:I find it strange that certain posters on this board who demand 100% accuracy and verification from fellow posters can be so blase about the mistakes being made by FTD.

What is even stranger, is the SYCOPHANTS that agree with every word that they say. That is what is truly sad and pathetic.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:52 am

rickeap wrote:I find it strange that certain posters on this board who demand 100% accuracy and verification from fellow posters ...

Hey, leave Blue River alone!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Again, your rhetoric is tired and your view over-stated.

Now this, people, is what one would call "IRONY".

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:08 am

To FTD or not FTD, that is the question!
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:... Cheers, Piers

Your little friend has a thin skin, my bad. It was just a J-O-K-E.
I have removed my post, you do the same now.
Have a nice day!
::rocks

drjohncarpenter I have edited my post as you requested, since you edited yours.
As for your statement "Your little friend" I can assure you that I genuinely have no idea who you are referring to in this thread.
You do not know anything of my personal life (please don't for one minute think that you do) nor do you know who my friends are.
The last "Elvis friends" I wrote to were Ernst & Roger, Arjan, YDKM, Trevor Cajiao and Erik Lorentzen.

Cheers, Piers
Last edited by PiersEIN on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 am

Your little friend has a thin skin, my bad. It was just a J-O-K-E.

I have removed my post, you do the same now.

Have a nice day!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 am

Uh, memPHisking John.

Happy to help. Keep on spinning away.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:47 am

What is quite clear is that it is impossible these days to have any form of serious conversation about anything FTD related due to the fact that someone with biased opinions is going to jump on board, avoid questions, play word games and generally prevent a serious discussion taking place.

But let's get some things straight.

FTD does not begin and end with one guy. FTD is a "Sony Company". It states this clearly on every single release.

Saying FTD is a fan-based product makes it sound like a nerdy 15 year old is knocking up some discs on his PC. It's not.

Someone earlier compared FTD to low budget independent films. And actually the comparison is fitting.

We might make allowances for a low budget film as opposed to a blockbuster, because the subject matter might be more interesting, because it's made for a niche audience, because it has content we can't find elsewhere. So we don't expect million-dollar special effects, huge stars, named directors. But somewhere those allowances have to stop. The editing of the film might be slightly sloppy, but we expect the scenes to be in the correct order. The camera work might be slightly shaky, but we don't expect it to be so shaky that we get motion sickness. A couple of snatches of dialogue might be lost because the equipment used isn't top end, but we expect to be able to understand the gist of what is being said.

The same is true of FTD - so the artwork isn't exciting, well we can let that go. The sound quality might not be the absolute best that is possible, but it's more than serviceable so that's ok. And we can even let go the odd typo in the liner notes. BUT we do expect the basics: a CD without technical errors, a recording that runs at the correct speed, pictures that aren't inexplicably pixelated.

We make allowances, yes. But we also pay the same price to see that independent movie as we do to go and see blockbusters. Slightly wooden acting or lack of production values are acceptable in such circumstances. But I wouldn't expect to buy a DVD that has a yellow streak down the middle of the picture, or a DVD that is presented in 4:3 instead of widescreen with the result being a cast of remarkably tall, thin actors - whether I'm buying an indie film made with a budget of $2000 or a blockbuster with a budget of $200 million.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:55 am

Great analogy.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:I find it strange that certain posters on this board who demand 100% accuracy and verification from fellow posters ...

Hey, leave Blue River alone!

:lol: You da' man, Doc!

drjohncarpenter wrote:To FTD or not FTD, that is the question!

To suck up to Ernst or to be your own man, that is a question, too!

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:20 am

You've all convinced me. I'm never going to order another FTD release again... and I'm going to burn the other 117 ones I have. sh*t releases.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 am

This post is exhausting... not because of the topic but the ongoing mudslinging back and forth... for those of us who've been part of this forum for many years, it would be great if we could have discussions or even arguments without bashing each other over the head and taking things to a personal level... I know I've been guilty of it as well with some of the newer posters. You guys know what to expect from one another by this time and Matt, Pete and DJC, you guys always have informative opinions on Elvis... it'd just be nice to read those opinions without all the insults and condescension in between. I realize we have posters on here that are only here to get a rise out of people... but that ain't you guys... just sayin'... peace!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:48 pm

paulsweeney wrote:You've all convinced me. I'm never going to order another FTD release again... and I'm going to burn the other 117 ones I have. sh*t releases.

You clearly miss the point completely! Too bad.

Matthew, Poormadpeter etc. who has contributed to this topic in a respecful non-childish manner I thank you. To demand quality is a good thing, and should never be questioned.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:05 pm

paulsweeney wrote:You've all convinced me. I'm never going to order another FTD release again... and I'm going to burn the other 117 ones I have. sh*t releases.

::rocks Thank you. Already did. :D

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Have a nice day!

Hi drjohncarpenter, you "private message" me about this thread - but then you deliberately "block" my attempt to reply to your message. This doesn't make sense.
please see your private email for reply.
Thanks, Piers

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
Matthew wrote:Too Much Monkey Business (2000) - mastering error on Loving Arms
Easter Special (2001) - mastering errors resulting in digital clicking and noise throughout.
New Year's Eve (2003) - mastering errors resulting in digital noise.
So High (2003) - production fault on So High (take 1). FTD replaced the disc.
Elvis Today (2005) - mastering error resulting in significant volume mismatch between master takes and outtakes.
Unchained Melody (2007) - mastering error on Where No One Stands Alone.
Live In LA (2007) - mastering error, tape has not been speed corrected and thus runs too slow.
Elvis (Fool) (2010) - production error on disc 2 resulting in repeated take of Fool. FTD replaced the disc.
Live In LA (Again! - 2011) - straight CD re-issue of the book's CD. Previous mastering error not fixed.
Stage Rehearsal (2011) - mastering glitch on Patch It Up guitar solo.
Fashion For A King (2011) - legendary for its terrible grammatical problems and ironically FTD's best selling book.
Our Memories Of Elvis (2012) - mastering error on Are You Sincere.
Welcome Home Elvis (2012) - many grammatical problems.
From Hawaii To Vegas (2012) - mastering error, tape has not been speed corrected and thus runs too slow.
From Memphis To Hollywood (2012) - grammatical problems, though less that its predecessor.
Hits Of The 70s (2012) - incorrect version of My Way in place of the correct 1977 single.

And this list ignores such releases as Southern Nights (2006), featuring terribly sloppy editing work between songs, and does not delve into the arena of questionable creative decisions on some recent titles. What this list does reveal is that there is an upsurge in problems in the last couple of years, and that furthermore FTD have gotten quieter and quieter in addressing customer complaints, adopting a sort of "lalalalalalala, can't hear you" approach. But here's anticipating a "rational" rebuttal that these releases either do not have any problems, that the problems are "trivial", or that FTD have released so many wonderful titles without problems that those with production issues can be all but ignored and forgiven. Maybe "we'll" be surprised.

I tend to sit in the camp that fans who highlight issues have a voice that helps facilitate change - such as the significant shift in audio mastering aesthetics beginning with Kevan Budd in 2004, brought on in part because the hardcore fan base had been calling out for improved audio-work for sometime.

When In Rome wrote:Here's a few more errors fans...
The stereo master of 'Angel' on the 'FTD' FTD sounds a little wobbly compared to the TCM version.
The cover of the 'Wild In The Country' FTD stated Presely on the spine (they did replace that one)
'Tuscon '76' anyone... replaced quietly on the sly
The original 'Girl Happy' had the wrong take of 'You'll Be Gone' plus an all new tinny reverb on the masters. Had to buy the repress for that one!!
I know it's a fan/collectors label but as mentioned they aren't cheap, they never get reduced into a bargain bin and more importantly they do have a pretty big mother label, it would only take a test press to be looked and listened to with some keen eyes and ears!! I can't seem to remember many of the mass market Elvis releases having as many, if any, errors...

"I Found My Thrill" (2006) is also running a tad slow to these ears.

And there's the awful aural mess at the end of "I'm leaving it all up to ypu" on the "Stage rehearsal" cd where something is 'bleeding' over the top. Then there's the badly done mixing out of Elvis' humourous and non offensive ad-libs during several of the performances on that disc. :x

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:23 pm

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Matthew wrote:
A. C. van Kuijk wrote:But nonetheless they are true.

Really? She is Ernst's girlfriend? C'mon! Such comments lessen the discussion.

So Lene Reidel is just an average employee? Why does she still keep her job after so many mishaps?

She's cheap perhaps?

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:24 pm

Mike DK wrote:

Matthew, Poormadpeter etc. who has contributed to this topic in a respecful non-childish manner I thank you. To demand quality is a good thing, and should never be questioned.

No, I got the point loud and clear Mike.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:44 pm

PiersEIN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Have a nice day!

Hi drjohncarpenter, you "private message" me about this thread - but then you deliberately "block" my attempt to reply to your message. This doesn't make sense.
please see your private email for reply.
Thanks, Piers

This is an annoying thing with DJC. He's annoyed if someone has an argument with him, but there is no chance of clearing the air in private because private messages are blocked. Go figure.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm

paulsweeney wrote:
Mike DK wrote:

Yup. Mike DK is the one who misses the point completely!

:D

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:
Mike DK wrote:

Yup. Mike DK is the one who misses the point completely!

:D

Of course.... :roll: