Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Finding The Way Home & FTD releases question

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Hello everyone,

Is it worthwile to get a copy of the boot "Finding The Way Home"? I have already FTD Memhis sessions. What do you think?

Re: Finding The Way Home & FTD releases question

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:06 pm

Charley Rogers wrote:Hello everyone,

Is it worthwile to get a copy of the boot "Finding The Way Home"? I have already FTD Memhis sessions. What do you think?

hmm those people agree to be worthwhile

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20629

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Charley Rogers wrote:Is it worthwile to get a copy of the boot "Finding The Way Home"? I have already FTD Memhis sessions. What do you think?

Back In Memphis will be released this month on FTD
and From Elvis In Memphis probably in 2013. That's all you'll need.

Forget getting the bootleg, imo.
Last edited by Blue River on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:49 am

Blue River wrote:
Charley Rogers wrote:Is it worthwile to get a copy of the boot "Finding The Way Home"? I have already FTD Memhis sessions. What do you think?

Agreed, most, if not all of the bootleg cuts are in mono and are in poor quality.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:37 am

"Finding The Way Home" was really great at the time of release.....12-13 years ago.
But all tracks are in mono and some of them are in stereo on other boots......like "American Way" series.
As mentioned by others I would wait for the FTD releases.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Blue River wrote:

Here Blue River, let me finish your sentence for you "That's all you need...If you don't mind partial or missing Takes that that are edited, cut, and spliced or just omitted, incase, God Forbid, a casual fan may acquire a copy of one of these hardcore fan based FTD's and find out Elvis learned a few naughty words in his 42 years here on earth in the real world.

The FTD releases are excellent companion releases for this type of material, and sound quality is excellent, but don't expect complete historic reference to these sessions without a few unofficial releases to accompany them.

I love FTD but they have a legacy they are made to protect, and this will always put money in the bootleggers pockets by releasing material FTD will not, when some fans find completeness essential in the Elvis world.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:41 pm

promiseland wrote:
Blue River wrote:

Here Blue River, let me finish your sentence for you "That's all you need...If you don't mind partial or missing Takes that that are edited, cut, and spliced or just omitted, incase, God Forbid, a casual fan may acquire a copy of one of these hardcore fan based FTD's and find out Elvis learned a few naughty words in his 42 years here on earth in the real world.

The FTD releases are excellent companion releases for this type of material, and sound quality is excellent, but don't expect complete historic reference to these sessions without a few unofficial releases to accompany them.

I love FTD but they have a legacy they are made to protect, and this will always put money in the bootleggers pockets by releasing material FTD will not, when some fans find completeness essential in the Elvis world.

agree with that, I want all I can get on the Memphis Sessions.........lol

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:10 pm

I had been hoping for the white glove treatment. Like with the Big Boy. It's SO important.

But if it's coming out, I hope before Christmas. At least that. That would be a great treat.

I hope they are both packed tight with A LOT. And as for the cussing, I hope the reins are loosened up a bit. Because it's interwoven into the music! He cussed so melodically on those sessions! :D

It helped him to relax. He was stressed.

Can't wait!

rjm

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:12 pm

rjm wrote:I had been hoping for the white glove treatment. Like with the Big Boy. It's SO important.

But if it's coming out, I hope before Christmas. At least that. That would be a great treat.

I hope they are both packed tight with A LOT. And as for the cussing, I hope the reins are loosened up a bit. Because it's interwoven into the music! He cussed so melodically on those sessions! :D

Can't wait!

rjm

Rjm what would be the point of an edited "Big Boy" of the 69 sessions when it wouldn't be complete? :roll:

They couldn't even add Take one of "Promised Land" after a CD it was named after, what do you think they will do with the Suspicious Minds sessions just add a bunch of 'Bleeps? :roll:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:50 pm

I enjoyed it very much upon release, and it may well contain cuts that will not appear on the FTD editions; if you want more from American Sound in '69, you should get it. For example, it was the first time I heard the stunning session tape for "Suspicious Minds." I felt honored to be able to experience such a great tune being created on the spot (and, as an unexpected bonus, heard the birth of "C.C. RIder" as a Presley song). All the '69 outtakes on this and subsequent import reissues are in very good-to-excellent MONO. The FTD outtakes will be in stunning STEREO.

Read more here:

Finding the Way Home
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/finding.html

"Finding The Way Home" (Southern Style 2-CD)
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20629

Finding The Way Home
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/finding.html

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Blue River wrote:

You'll probably need "The American Way" CD series as it's unlikely that FTD's releases will be complete or unedited. Many bootlegs are needed to complete the picture on a lot of FTD releases.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Tony.. wrote:Many bootlegs are needed to complete the picture on a lot of FTD releases.

There's a method to the madness. :wink:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:21 pm

promiseland wrote:
Blue River wrote:

I understand even the America Way series edited out all toilet breaks, and Elvis coughing up phlegm between between takes.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:53 pm

Thank you everyone for your remarks.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Charley Rogers, after reading some of the other opinions, I'll say this -

and From Elvis In Memphis probably in 2013.

That's all you'll need, but maybe not all you'll want. :wink:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:18 pm

I really hope FTD does not edit out anything from the "Suspicious Minds" session.

It is one of the best things he ever cut in a recording studio. The fly-on-the-wall presence should be left intact for this great song.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I enjoyed it very much upon release, and it may well contain cuts that will not appear on the FTD editions; if you want more from American Sound in '69, you should get it. For example, it was the first time I heard the stunning session tape for "Suspicious Minds." I felt honored to be able to experience such a great tune being created on the spot (and, as an unexpected bonus, heard the birth of "C.C. RIder" as a Presley song). All the '69 outtakes on this and subsequent import reissues are in very good-to-excellent MONO. The FTD outtakes will be in stunning STEREO.

Read more here:

Finding the Way Home
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/finding.html

"Finding The Way Home" (Southern Style 2-CD)
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20629

Finding The Way Home
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/finding.html

Very good post Doc I agree 100% . This was the second import I ordered and I was astounded back in the day at how much was offered in this 2 CD set. It's one CD I will never part from, and will go nicely with any FTD of the period. Since these tracks are not overdubbed, and in their raw form, the sound is stunning even in mono.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 am

Rich_TCB wrote:I really hope FTD does not edit out anything from the "Suspicious Minds" session.

Don't hold your breath.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:54 am

promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:I had been hoping for the white glove treatment. Like with the Big Boy. It's SO important.

Can't wait!

rjm

Rjm what would be the point of an edited "Big Boy" of the 69 sessions when it wouldn't be complete? :roll:

They couldn't even add Take one of "Promised Land" after a CD it was named after, what do you think they will do with the Suspicious Minds sessions just add a bunch of 'Bleeps? :roll:

You really think it presents that big of a problem? I mean, yes, there is a steady stream of expletives, true: a lot it sung! So, yes, it would be difficult if they wanted a "clean" version. Other than seeing no need for "Dear Georgie" -- which does have a story behind it (although I still don't care for what he does), it's just your run-of-the-mill cussing. It's on cable, all the time. In the movies . . . I think we've gone to a place where people can accept it. Put a warning label on it. That's all. I hope that'll happen. Two separate Classic albums with lots of outtakes cannot be filled with "bleeps" - or hatchet-like editing. It would be very distracting - more so than the swearing.

As for that first take of "Promised Land," I've heard it, and it's not that great a take. I mean, you could make that argument. I don't think takes should be released because of the cussing, but because the takes are interesting parts of the process - or are good. His "favorite" is on cable all the time - constantly, and I guess they've made a decision one way or the other. I hope they choose to ignore it, and just warn the listener. I think Elvis fans, particularly those interested in these discs, can take it. But we'll see what they do. I say: give them a chance, and maybe they'll be more generous, and less nervous. It's just plain old swearing.

rjm

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 am

rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Can't wait!

rjm

You really think it presents that big of a problem? I mean, yes, there is a steady stream of expletives, true: a lot it sung! So, yes, it would be difficult if they wanted a "clean" version. Other than seeing no need for "Dear Georgie" -- which does have a story behind it (although I still don't care for what he does), it's just your run-of-the-mill cussing. It's on cable, all the time. In the movies . . . I think we've gone to a place where people can accept it. Put a warning label on it. That's all. I hope that'll happen. Two separate Classic albums with lots of outtakes cannot be filled with "bleeps" - or hatchet-like editing. It would be very distracting - more so than the swearing.

As for that first take of "Promised Land," I've heard it, and it's not that great a take. I mean, you could make that argument. I don't think takes should be released because of the cussing, but because the takes are interesting parts of the process - or are good. His "favorite" is on cable all the time - constantly, and I guess they've made a decision one way or the other. I hope they choose to ignore it, and just warn the listener. I think Elvis fans, particularly those interested in these discs, can take it. But we'll see what they do. I say: give them a chance, and maybe they'll be more generous, and less nervous. It's just plain old swearing.

rjm

It's not a Dear Georgie issue how about you listen to all of these 69 sessions first before you comment next time. :roll:

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:27 am

promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Can't wait!

rjm

rjm

It's not a Dear Georgie issue how about you listen to all of these 69 sessions first before you comment next time. :roll:

I was listening as I was writing. ITunes is open right now, paused in the midst of various takes of "Suspicious Minds"! (I found my way "home" to these outtakes . . . {can't say how, but there are very nice people around}.) It's the real thing - the cussing, but it's also very common today. It's interwoven into the music. It would be a mess to edit it, and so I'm hoping for the best. They DO have to release it! In some fashion.

I just hope, See, C. Fudge'in' Rider, that they loosen the reins. ;)

rjm

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 am

rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:
rjm wrote:
promiseland wrote:

Can't wait!

rjm

rjm

I was listening as I was writing. ITunes is open right now, paused in the midst of various takes of "Suspicious Minds"! (I found my way "home" to these outtakes . . . {can't say how, but there are very nice people around}.) It's the real thing - the cussing, but it's also very common today. It's interwoven into the music. It would be a mess to edit it, and so I'm hoping for the best. They DO have to release it! In some fashion.

rjm

They will - In a fashion that one will still need the boots to complete the set after they are done doctoring it. The FTD label was suppose to be the answer to the bootleg market, obviously that's not the case.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:I really hope FTD does not edit out anything from the "Suspicious Minds" session.

It is one of the best things he ever cut in a recording studio. The fly-on-the-wall presence should be left intact for this great song.

All signs point to Yes.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:57 pm

I'll never part with my copy of...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:02 pm

I have this one, too..and "I won`t take a million dollars for it"...

I went From A Jack to A King when I heard this gem for the first time.. :wink: