Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The best live version of Hound Dog...

Fri May 14, 2010 2:19 am

Mike C wrote:Regarding this live version of Paralyzed, Doc, can you tell us if Elvis plays in the style of the record release or in the slow-downed version, modeled after Jackie Wilson's version of "Don't Be Cruel", he suggested he thought about doing it on the Million Dollar Quartet session? Thx!

IIRC, it's closer to the album version. I like the Dec 4 arrangement better.

Fri May 14, 2010 2:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:Regarding this live version of Paralyzed, Doc, can you tell us if Elvis plays in the style of the record release or in the slow-downed version, modeled after Jackie Wilson's version of "Don't Be Cruel", he suggested he thought about doing it on the Million Dollar Quartet session? Thx!

IIRC, it's closer to the album version. I like the Dec 4 arrangement better.

Yeah, so do I. I was listening to the MDQ session in preparation for seeting the MDQ musical tomorrow evening on Broadway. Thanks again!

Fri May 14, 2010 2:31 am

Mike C wrote:Yeah, so do I. I was listening to the MDQ session in preparation for seeting the MDQ musical tomorrow evening on Broadway. Thanks again!

Prepare yourself for a fanciful experience!

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:03 am

norrie wrote:So true hollandgroupc2008.I listened to Hawaii 61 a couple of times recently and once
you get over the poor audio you can hear how good Elvis and the band were and the
excitement they created.

norrie

Best ever live performance of "All Shook Up"!

About "Hound Dog", my favorite live version is the one performed at the Milton berle Show, what a great audiovisual experience!

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Back on point -- here are the three tracks from the Dec 15, 1956 "Hayride" broadcast.

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley - Last "Louisiana Hayride" Appearance, Saturday, December 15, 1956

Again, note the first two cuts are an off-line source of the radio broadcast, the last from the in-line tape.

Scotty's lead on "Hound Dog" is killer! D.J.'s drums are hard as steel. And listen to that crowd!!!

I seem to recall L.A. Times critic Robert Hilburn going wild over the 1984 release of this live recording of "Hound Dog," and his call for the entire show to be issued immediately, it was that important.

Oh well, so much for the power of the press.

Incredible!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Now I wonder how Hound Dog, Don't be Cruel, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole (this marvelous song was never performed live), All Shook Up could be sounding in the sit down shows. If Elvis had much more time then this could be really dynamite! One Night, That's All Right, Tryin' to get to you, Lawdy, Miss Clawdy and Tiger Man never sounded better in my opinion and they'll never be as were sang by Elvis in that magic night. One girl shouts in the evening sit down show: "It's Now or Never, please!" What a great moment could it be.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:42 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Now I wonder how Hound Dog, Don't be Cruel, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole (this marvelous song was never performed live), All Shook Up could be sounding in the sit down shows. If Elvis had much more time then this could be really dynamite! One Night, That's All Right, Tryin' to get to you, Lawdy, Miss Clawdy and Tiger Man never sounded better in my opinion and they'll never be as were sang by Elvis in that magic night. One girl shouts in the evening sit down show: "It's Now or Never, please!" What a great moment could it be.

Although the set-up on June 27, 1968 lent itself best to the otherworldly R&B, blues and rock Presley sang that night, I have no doubt that anything he tried would have been memorable.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Has anyone heard an earlier version of Now Or Never than the closing show, Feb 1970? I'm talking about recordings after July, 1969. That is a great listen, though I'm sure a 1968 version would be different and a little more gritty.

I just don't see him being that interested in doing that song in 1968. He was more interested in proving he could still rock.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 pm

stevelecher wrote:Has anyone heard an earlier version of Now Or Never than the closing show, Feb 1970? I'm talking about recordings after July, 1969. That is a great listen, though I'm sure a 1968 version would be different and a little more gritty.
I just don't see him being that interested in doing that song in 1968. He was more interested in proving he could still rock.

Coincidentally, someone in the audience requests It's Now Or Never during the second sit-down show.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Although the set-up on June 27, 1968 lent itself best to the otherworldly R&B, blues and rock Presley sang that night, I have no doubt that anything he tried would have been memorable.

With the exception of "Blue Moon Of Kentucky"... as he simply could not tackle it in the dressing room rehearsals.

elvisalisellers wrote:Coincidentally, someone in the audience requests It's Now Or Never during the second sit-down show.

Yeah, jurasic1968 already made mention of that four posts above.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Although the set-up on June 27, 1968 lent itself best to the otherworldly R&B, blues and rock Presley sang that night, I have no doubt that anything he tried would have been memorable.

With the exception of "Blue Moon Of Kentucky"... as he simply could not tackle it in the dressing room rehearsals.

It sounds fine there, and would have been even better in front of a live audience, the adrenaline flowing.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:29 pm

Blue River wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Coincidentally, someone in the audience requests It's Now Or Never during the second sit-down show.

Yeah, jurasic1968 already made mention of that four posts above.

Missed that! Apologies to jurasic1968.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 am

Blue River wrote:

Blue River wrote:With the exception of "Blue Moon Of Kentucky"... as he simply could not tackle it in the dressing room rehearsals.

It was a request: he hadn't rehearsed it, and was totally unprepared. He swung into the wrong key, actually following someone else. If he was going to do it, he would have done it a few times, I think, and would have overcome the key problem. (And the verses weren't quite in the right order. He actually forgot to put the first verse, which was his own verse, first.) So he needed some rehearsal, but apparently didn't want to. Even so, he said "I can do it" and he did.

The beginning is messed up, but he keeps at it. And then decided not to work on it.

phpBB [video]

rjm