Off Topic Messages

Green Green Grass of Home/Crystal Chandeliers

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Anyone know any good versions of Green Grass like Roger Miller's?

phpBB [video]

I think Don Williams' is pretty good too.

As for Crystal Chandeliers, I have a good one by Roy Drusky on CD, the female singer accompanying him I don't know, anyone know? The song is not on Youtube unfortunately.

Re: Green Green Grass of Home/Crystal Chandeliers

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:35 am

This is one of the best versions of this song from any artist. I always loved JLL's version of this song
phpBB [video]

By the way, what is it with the year 1969 :?: Elvis and Jerry Lee was at their best! 8) 8) 8)

Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:41 am

All pretty good.

I'll take Elvis' version.

::rocks

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:33 am

Surely this has to be the most novel version of Crystal Chandeliers?!

phpBB [video]

on a more serious note, Satchmo's country album was a rather sad ending to a wonderful career.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:57 am

Tom Jones' recording of Green Green Grass of Home is my favourite, and - in my opinion - the best version of this song. And, although Jerry Lee's version was good, Elvis's recording doesn't get quite enough praise for my liking. He sings this song wonderfully
on the studio recording and gave some good performances in concert. He doesn't eclipse Jones, nor is his version immediately remarkable, but there's much to admire in a good song being well sung, and Elvis done that with Green Green Grass of Home.

I've always liked Louis Armstrong's version of Crystal Chandelier, although, you're quite right about his country album, poormadpeter -- still, it's a curio. And, despite that, here was one of the 20th century's pivotal vocalist embracing the resurgent interest in country music that came about in the late-sixties/early-seventies. His intentions may not have been artistically-geared, but Armstrong always seemed to relish in what he was doing.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:36 am

Hmm, not sure how I feel about Armstrong's version. Don't get me wrong, I love his stuff -- but sometimes watching him sing makes me feel like he's doing stand-up comedy whilst singing. Listening to this again WITHOUT watching him though, wow!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:46 pm

I like the Charlie Pride version of Chrystal Chanderliers

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 am

You work at UNSW ^ ? I study there, lol.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:57 am

ECC83 wrote:You work at UNSW ^ ? I study there, lol.

cool eh!~ :wink: 8)

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:15 am

A honorable mention of Green Grass goes to the original version from Porter Wagoner.
Agree with greystoke though that Tom Jones' version is the best recording of this song.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:20 am

YDKM wrote:I like the Charlie Pride version of Chrystal Chanderliers

Charley
Crystal
Chandeliers

Charley deserves better than that.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Rob wrote:
YDKM wrote:I like the Charlie Pride version of Chrystal Chanderliers

Charley