Off Topic Messages

NY cop gives homeless man boots for his blistered feet

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:10 am

In my opinion, ALL COPS should be this kind to people like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/nyreg ... nline.html

Photo of Officer Giving Boots to Barefoot Man Warms Hearts Online

By J. DAVID GOODMAN

Published: November 28, 2012

On a cold November night in Times Square, Officer Lawrence DePrimo was working a counterterrorism post when he encountered an older, barefooted homeless man. The officer disappeared for a moment, then returned with a new pair of boots, and knelt to help the man put them on.

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/ ... BOOTS.html

Jennifer Foster

Officer Lawrence DePrimo bought new boots for a homeless man he encountered in Times Square.

The act of kindness would have gone unnoticed and mostly forgotten, had it not been for a tourist from Arizona.

Her snapshot — taken with her cellphone on Nov. 14 and posted to the New York Police Department’s official Facebook page late Tuesday — has made Officer DePrimo an overnight Internet hero.

By Wednesday evening, the post had been viewed 1.6 million times, and had attracted nearly 275,000 “likes” and more than 16,000 comments — a runaway hit for a Police Department that waded warily onto the social media platform this summer with mostly canned photos of gun seizures, award ceremonies and the police commissioner.

Among all of those posts, the blurry image of Officer DePrimo kneeling to help the shoeless man as he sat on 42nd Street stood out. “This is definitely the most viral,” said Barbara Chen, a spokeswoman for the department who helps manage its Facebook page.

Thousands of people commented on Facebook and Reddit, which linked to the post on Wednesday. Most of them praised Officer DePrimo, yet some suspected that the photograph had been staged. Many debated whether the officer’s actions were representative of police officers in general, or were just unusually exceptional.

“I still have a grudge against law enforcement everywhere,” wrote one commenter on the police Facebook page. “But my respects to that fine officer.”

Officer DePrimo, 25, who joined the department in 2010 and lives with his parents on Long Island, was shocked at the attention. He was not warned before the photo went online; the department had not learned which officer was in the picture until hours later.

The officer, normally assigned to the Sixth Precinct in the West Village, readily recalled the encounter. “It was freezing out and you could see the blisters on the man’s feet,” he said in an interview. “I had two pairs of socks and I was still cold.” They started talking; he found out the man’s shoe size: 12.

As the man walked slowly down Seventh Avenue on his heels, Officer DePrimo went into a Skechers shoe store at about 9:30 p.m. “We were just kind of shocked,” said Jose Cano, 28, a manager working at the store that night. “Most of us are New Yorkers and we just kind of pass by that kind of thing. Especially in this neighborhood.”

Mr. Cano volunteered to give the officer his employee discount to bring down the regular $100 price of the all-weather boots to a little more than $75. The officer has kept the receipt in his vest since then, he said, “to remind me that sometimes people have it worse.”

The photo was taken by Jennifer Foster, a civilian communications director for the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office in Arizona. She said the moment resonated for personal reasons: She remembered as a young girl seeing her father, a 32-year veteran of the Phoenix police force, buy food for a homeless man.

“He squatted down, just like this officer,” she said.

After returning from vacation, she described the picture in an e-mail to the New York Police Department, thinking of it as a sort of a compliment card. She never expected the picture to end up online — “I’m not on Facebook,” she said — but a department official e-mailed her and asked if she would send along the photo so it could be posted.

As for the man he helped, Officer DePrimo never got his name, and he could not be immediately located on Wednesday. “He was the most polite gentleman I had met,” the officer said, adding that the man’s face lit up at the sight of the boots. Officer DePrimo offered him a cup of coffee, but “as soon as the boots were on him, he went on his way, and I just went back to my post.”

Re: NY cop gives homeless man boots for his blistered feet

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 am

Nice story.

My girlfriend, who is a teacher, gave her shoes to one of her kids the other day because the little one had broken hers.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:50 pm

londonflash wrote:Nice story.

My girlfriend, who is a teacher, gave her shoes to one of her kids the other day because the little one had broken hers.

How was the fit :?:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Great story, passed it on to others, really good picture too. Publicity like this you can't buy!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Seen this story on Facebook, wonderful act of compassion, we should all be like that.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:24 am

Related article >> http://www.newser.com/story/158611/home ... story.html

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 am

What's sad is that it went so viral -- that it was a "man bites dog story" instead of something normal. It is VERY cold in NYC at this time, and you'd think somebody would have done something. In L.A. (which is considerably warmer), organizations have "sock drives" frequently, in the winter.

Wish that this happened more often -- that someone just would do what that cop did. You don't ask questions, no third degree, just give the guy something to cover his feet is all. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, but it is.

Hope it inspires people, especially since it's Christmastime - usually people are easier to inspire now. You can do just a little something - doesn't have to be much. If you can, you should. You never what could happen to you someday: life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans. You really never know.

rjm

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Update: 'Homeless Man Barefoot Again'
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/0 ... d%3D240675

Since he wants "a piece of the pie" instead of keeping his feet warm,
this calls for a dramatic ballad -
phpBB [video]

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Blue River, go to your room!

Do not come out until you promise never to play that song again!

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Rob wrote:Blue River, go to your room!
Do not come out until you promise never to play that song again!

:oops: Yes, sir. :cry:

Here's a song that's much better >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pro7XpRpU04

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 am

An individual case is SO not the point! You never know what's going to happen, and you shouldn't ask. It's what YOU do that counts: the other person has to answer to himself, to God, to whomever, but YOU did the right thing, and so that's what matters.

There are many people who would appreciate a little TLC out there. Not just one guy. (Nobody knows which guy holding those cardboard signs on road are "for real" or who aren't. If you feel like you should help out, then you do it.)

It's a mistake to think that just because someone has a problem, any problem, that they are automatically "noble." But that's not why you do it, and it's not why the cop did it. You can be poor and crazy, and still be greedy. And you can be a very generous rich guy. The point is that if someone appears to need help, just do it - if you can.

Elvis never asked people what they planned to do with his gifts.

rjm