Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Man and His Music December issue

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Got it yesterday and once more a fantastic issue, I particularly liked the interview by Arjan Deelen with Ed Bonja. Some nice background information about Elvis on the road. Also interesting to read for those who think Colonel was to blame for Elvis' downfall.

If you don't have a subscription yet, why not!?

Cheers,
Simon

Re: The Man and His Music December issue

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Simon1 wrote:Also interesting to read for those who think Colonel was to blame for Elvis' downfall.

I`m waiting for the latest edition to arrive (simply the best elvis mag out there #1). With regards to your statement above, I`ll simply state that there were many factors in Elvis` downfall and yes those include things outside of the Colonel, but most definately some negative decisions that his manager made on Elvis` behalf in the 60`s and 70`s were contributing factors but there is also many many more that have nothing to do with the Colonel and more to do within` Elvis himself!! That`s a fact no matter what the current issue implies but the truth is we will never ever really know for sure.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Got the mag today......will be reading it tonight.
Best magazine....along with Essential Elvis.
Highly recommended as they contain a lot not available to read on WWW.

Last edited by KingElvis on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Also interesting to read for those who think Colonel was to blame for Elvis' downfall.

I`m waiting for the latest edition to arrive (simply the best elvis mag out there #1). With regards to your statement above, I`ll simply state that there were many factors in Elvis` downfall and yes those include things outside of the Colonel, but most definately some negative decisions that his manager made on Elvis` behalf in the 60`s and 70`s were contributing factors but there is also many many more that have nothing to do with the Colonel and more to do within` Elvis himself!! That`s a fact no matter what the current issue implies but the truth is we will never ever really know for sure.

There were many things that contributed to Elvis' decline in the 70's and yes, Elvis has to share in responsibility of course, but the Colonel played a huge part!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

There were many things that contributed to Elvis' decline in the 70's and yes, Elvis has to share in responsibility of course, but the Colonel played a huge part!

Elvis only did what he wanted to do Joe, not even Colonel could force him into things. Often people don't realize how strong willed Elvis really was.
Early 1977 Colonel insisted Elvis take a rest and not work for a while. It was Elvis himself who ordered Colonel to book him. The Colonel told him if he insisted he'd book him but Elvis had to promise he'd turn up in shape for the concerts. When he didn't the Colonel was pissed, and understandably so, he was a man of his word and hated to come back on it.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Elvis only did what he wanted to do Joe, not even Colonel could force him into things. Often people don't realize how strong willed Elvis really was.
Early 1977 Colonel insisted Elvis take a rest and not work for a while. It was Elvis himself who ordered Colonel to book him. The Colonel told him if he insisted he'd book him but Elvis had to promise he'd turn up in shape for the concerts. When he didn't the Colonel was pissed, and understandably so, he was a man of his word and hated to come back on it.

The Colonel stifled his creativity, also stole money from him. Those facts are undeniable.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

The Colonel stifled his creativity, also stole money from him. Those facts are undeniable.

I think Elvis mainly stifled his own creativity. He didn't actually steal money from him, everything the Colonel did was on record, only Elvis himself could have said he felt the Colonel was making too much money. As he didn't even care to read contracts it was Elvis' fault. Elvis' business manager was Vernon Presley and he wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box.
Colonel Parker made Elvis a millionaire within a year, stealing money from him?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

I think Elvis mainly stifled his own creativity. He didn't actually steal money from him, everything the Colonel did was on record, only Elvis himself could have said he felt the Colonel was making too much money. As he didn't even care to read contracts it was Elvis' fault. Elvis' business manager was Vernon Presley and he wasn't the sharpest pencil in the box.

The colonel did some very unethical things.
The estate took him to court and won if I recall.

He was a crook and I think that has been documented.

Of course Elvis was blind to all of this.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Just because Elvis didn't read the contracts, doesn't mean that the Colonel had a right to his ridiculous percentage he was taking.
As far as Elvis' creativity, had the Colonel learned from his managerial mistakes from the sixties, he wouldn't have locked Elvis into a Las Vegas contract and instead, kept him with challenges. The Colonel wanted total control.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Just because Elvis didn't read the contracts, doesn't mean that the Colonel had a right to his ridiculous percentage he was taking.
As far as Elvis' creativity, had the Colonel learned from his managerial mistakes from the sixties, he wouldn't have locked Elvis into a Las Vegas contract and instead, kept him with challenges. The Colonel wanted total control.

The only one who was in total control was Elvishimselvis.
Whenever he didn't want to do anything he used the Colonel as scapegoat.
Do you really think that if Elvis had spent as much time and energy on a better repertoire and doing a world tour as he spent time on karate, women, jewelry, hiring gospel groups, getting banana peanutbutter sandwiches by private plane from Denver it wouldn't have happened? Think again.
Artistically Elvis was a lazy guy starting in 1961, with a short lived re- emergence 1968-1970. As long as the money kept pouring in he was happy.

I wish he had been more into his profession, if he had been he wouldn't have spiralled into depression, medicine dependecy etc.

He was the one who had the power to speak up if he didn't like things his management team were doing. He didn't most of the time, he was a grown man, not a puppet. But it's easier to accept for fans to blame the poor ole Colonel for everything that went wrong isn't it?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Do you really think that if Elvis had spent as much time and energy on a better repertoire and doing a world tour as he spent time on karate, women, jewelry, hiring gospel groups, getting banana peanutbutter sandwiches by private plane from Denver it wouldn't have happened? Think again.
Artistically Elvis was a lazy guy starting in 1961, with a short lived re- emergence 1969-1970. As long as the money kept pouring in he was happy.

I wish he had been more into his profession, if he had been he wouldn't have spiralled into depression, medicine dependecy etc.

He was the one who had the power to speak up if he didn't like things his management team were doing. He didn't most of the time, he was a grown man, not a puppet. But it's easier to accept for fans to blame the poor ole Colonel for everything that went wrong isn't it?

The best work Elvis ever did was when he was challenged. This held true most of his life, with the exception of his last tv special, which shouldn't have happened given his condition. He was into his profession, but not into the business side. That was the Colonel's job. After Elvis returned from the army, it was then that the mismanagement from the Colonel began, starting with his locking him into contracts and cookie cutter movie scripts. Despite this, Elvis showed up everyday and cutting a lot of crappy songs that he was asked to do for the movies he was making. Do I wish he would have taken a stand, absolutely. but he didn't until he had had enough.
As far as his depression goes, he was prone to suffer depression from time to time, he inherited this from his mom. When his marriage broke up, it hit him hard, hard enough to where he never fully recovered. Lets not sugarcoat the Colonel and the many mistakes me made as Elvis' manager. Elvis would have made it with or without the Colonel and he was already causing riots before he knew who the Colonel was.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:04 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Artistically Elvis was a lazy guy starting in 1961, with a short lived re- emergence 1969-1970. As long as the money kept pouring in he was happy.

The best work Elvis ever did was when he was challenged. This held true most of his life, with the exception of his last tv special, which shouldn't have happened given his condition. He was into his profession, but not into the business side. That was the Colonel's job. After Elvis returned from the army, it was then that the mismanagement from the Colonel began, starting with his locking him into contracts and cookie cutter movie scripts. Despite this, Elvis showed up everyday and cutting a lot of crappy songs that he was asked to do for the movies he was making. Do I wish he would have taken a stand, absolutely. but he didn't until he had had enough.
As far as his depression goes, he was prone to suffer depression from time to time, he inherited this from his mom. When his marriage broke up, it hit him hard, hard enough to where he never fully recovered. Lets not sugarcoat the Colonel and the many mistakes me made as Elvis' manager. Elvis would have made it with or without the Colonel and he was already causing riots before he knew who the Colonel was.

If he'd been as big and popular without the Colonel we'll never know. Fact is that 35 years after his passing he is still a household name, everyone knows him by his first name, sold most records as a solo performer, is as well known as Disney and Coca Cola, the Colonel must have done Something right.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Mismanagement does not kill anyone. The Colonel did not give Elvis any drugs. the colonel did not encourage Elvis to eat unhealthy. Everything that happened to Elvis, either Elvis chose to do it or he agreed to do it. Elvis would not have given a flying crap how much The Colonel was making. Elvis was happy as long as he had enough money to indulge in his hobbies.

Was Elvis better when he was challenged? yes. But most people on this earth do not need challenges every day to get thru life.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Let's hear it for the poor ole col! How are you possibly able to swallow that tripe??? I think we should change the board to for colonel collectors only!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 pm

DEH wrote:Mismanagement does not kill anyone. The Colonel did not give Elvis any drugs. the colonel did not encourage Elvis to eat unhealthy. Everything that happened to Elvis, either Elvis chose to do it or he agreed to do it. Elvis would not have given a flying crap how much The Colonel was making. Elvis was happy as long as he had enough money to indulge in his hobbies.

Was Elvis better when he was challenged? yes. But most people on this earth do not need challenges every day to get thru life.

You hit the nail on the head.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:04 am

JerryNodak wrote:
DEH wrote:Mismanagement does not kill anyone. The Colonel did not give Elvis any drugs. the colonel did not encourage Elvis to eat unhealthy. Everything that happened to Elvis, either Elvis chose to do it or he agreed to do it. Elvis would not have given a flying crap how much The Colonel was making. Elvis was happy as long as he had enough money to indulge in his hobbies.

You hit the nail on the head.

Exactly, even The Colonel could not protect Elvis Presley from Elvis Presley. That said: mismanagement is quite an understatement after 1960 when you look at the Elvis catalogue and all the missed opportunities and redicoulous percentages. The Colonel was the worst thing that could happen to Elvis after 1960 but it all together had zero influence or relation to Elvis' death if you ask me.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:17 am

Lets not forget Eddy Arnold got rid of the Colonel and Gladys didnt trust or like him. Elvis & Vernon BOTH were not the sharpest pencils in the box!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:20 am

r&b wrote:Lets not forget Eddy Arnold got rid of the Colonel and Gladys didnt trust or like him. Elvis & Vernon BOTH were not the sharpest pencils in the box!

I think you that summarysis it very neatly and mildly.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:20 am

How do I subscribe to Elvis The Man and His Music?

The only thing I can see in Google results is an Amazon link.

I'd rather subscribe via the official website, though.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 am

BrianTCB wrote:How do I subscribe to Elvis The Man and His Music?

Try here, BrianTCB:

http://e.dominohosting.biz/dca/NDT.nsf/TopLevel

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:35 am

BrianTCB wrote:How do I subscribe to Elvis The Man and His Music?

Here ya go Brian. They're offering free flux capacitors for every new subscriber during the month of December......

http://e.dominohosting.biz/dca/NDT.nsf/ ... scriptions

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:31 am

KingElvis wrote:Got the mag today......will be reading it tonight.
Best magazine....along with Essential Elvis.
Highly recommended as they contain a lot not available to read on WWW.

That's such a stunning pic, the one in the plane! Great cover, great magazine!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:42 pm

not had a minute to look at this yet........fab cover, fab mag

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Yes he sure did!! He spent up all the millions Elvis made over the past 20 years
that he earned him since 1955!! And Boy, he sure forced all them drugs down Elvis and sure screwed his diet up to gain all that weight to look so good for CBS!! Man the Colonel sure screwed up Elvis!! :roll:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Not if you listen to any of the interviews done with Lo Anne Parker, Tom's wife for the last few years. According to her, Tom Parker was an absolute saint who never did anything wrong, was innocent of any wrong doing and was a perfect manager. :smt003