Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis SACDs in stock: Elvis is Back and 24 Karat Hits

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Do u need a special player to play these discs ?

Or will my regular Sony cd/DVD player suffice ?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:50 pm

minkahed wrote:Do u need a special player to play these discs ?

You need a player that will play them. My blu-ray player plays them and it also plays almost anything. But I don't assume that all blu-ray players will play them, I don't know. But that might be an option for you, to upgrade to blu-ray at the same time.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:22 pm

The SACD layer needs a device capable of reading it, but the CD layer will be read by your Sony player and it will feature the "new" mastering too

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 pm

There are 2 different layers on the hybrid disc. One layer is a CD 16 bit redbook layer that will play on ANY CD player.

The other layer is an SACD layer -- which contains the higher resolution audio. To hear the SACD layer (and the higher resolution audio), you need a player which is SACD compatible. For example, this Oppo universal player will do the trick: ==> http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:20 pm

L Ray wrote:
Mike DK wrote:
Matthew wrote:The sources used by Hoffman back in the 90s have been brought into question in the past.

For Elvis is Back! Hoffman used the original mastertapes. For the 24 Karat Hits he also used the original mastertapes, but a few songs were not available from original mastertapes. He also remixed the song Devil in disquise. Hoffman has been open about his sources so there is no secret there.

Both Hoffman releases is still the best Elvis has ever sounded in my opinion.

I think the Heatbreak Hotel original mastertape was bought back by Ernst at the end of the 90's. So that would be one that might not have the best sound on 24 Karat Hits.

I hope someone makes the plunge and gets these pretty soon so that we can be informed on how good they are or aren't.

Yes, Heartbreak Hotel was one of them (I still prefer the Hoffman version though :) )

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Mike DK wrote:
L Ray wrote:
Mike DK wrote:
Matthew wrote:The sources used by Hoffman back in the 90s have been brought into question in the past.

For Elvis is Back! Hoffman used the original mastertapes. For the 24 Karat Hits he also used the original mastertapes, but a few songs were not available from original mastertapes. He also remixed the song Devil in disquise. Hoffman has been open about his sources so there is no secret there.

Both Hoffman releases is still the best Elvis has ever sounded in my opinion.

I think the Heatbreak Hotel original mastertape was bought back by Ernst at the end of the 90's. So that would be one that might not have the best sound on 24 Karat Hits.

I hope someone makes the plunge and gets these pretty soon so that we can be informed on how good they are or aren't.

Yes, Heartbreak Hotel was one of them (I still prefer the Hoffman version though :) )

Oh okay. I have never heard the Hoffman versions. Interesting that you think that it is that good.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Not all DVD-players can play SACD's. There should info in the owners manual. As noted before there are 2 layers on these hybrid discs and in order to play the high resolution SACD layer you need player cabable of playing SACD's. I think most if not all latest Sony Blu-Ray players can play SACD's.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Just received these 2 albums. Sound quality on the Cd layer is excellent. I will report later on the SACD layer. Can confirm that both were mastered by George Marino at Sterling sound. Have to say they are a quality product, covers similar to the DCC releases and the labels have 'Nipper' in all his glory with RCA Victor in silver. For the labels alone, worth a punt!

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:Just received these 2 albums. Sound quality on the Cd layer is excellent. I will report later on the SACD layer. Can confirm that both were mastered by George Marino at Sterling sound. Have to say they are a quality product, covers similar to the DCC releases and the labels have 'Nipper' in all his glory with RCA Victor in silver. For the labels alone, worth a punt!

How do they sound compared to the DCC versions? (if you have them).

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Mike DK wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:Just received these 2 albums. Sound quality on the Cd layer is excellent. I will report later on the SACD layer. Can confirm that both were mastered by George Marino at Sterling sound. Have to say they are a quality product, covers similar to the DCC releases and the labels have 'Nipper' in all his glory with RCA Victor in silver. For the labels alone, worth a punt!

No longer have the DCC's but from memory (dangerous I know) certainly as good. what is interesting is that EP is heard counting in prior to Stuck on you, don't rememer that on the DCC. If you still have them let me know, would be interested. I am assuming that Stuck on you is the master, but nice to have the count in

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:02 pm

I have now listened to both discs on a Marantz SA 15 s2 SACD player. Sound quality is exceptional. Really, really good. I have one moan though, track listing on both the cover and label are wrong on 24 Karat hits! EIB has never sounded better. Essential purchase? Difficult, not cheap and SACD is a dying format. Nice to have? Most definately.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:
Mike DK wrote:

No longer have the DCC's but from memory (dangerous I know) certainly as good. what is interesting is that EP is heard counting in prior to Stuck on you, don't rememer that on the DCC. If you still have them let me know, would be interested. I am assuming that Stuck on you is the master, but nice to have the count in

On the DCC there is no count in before Stuck on You.

If its not too much trouble can you write a few words about how EIB differs in sound compared to the FTD edition. Is it warmer sounding? brighter sounding? etc. Would be much appriciated :)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Mike DK wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:
Mike DK wrote:

On the DCC there is no count in before Stuck on You.

If its not too much trouble can you write a few words about how EIB differs in sound compared to the FTD edition. Is it warmer sounding? brighter sounding? etc. Would be much appriciated :)

Mike
Just a little more detailed, another curtain that was in front of the sound has been taken away. I think the best sound ever.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:11 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:I have now listened to both discs on a Marantz SA 15 s2 SACD player. Sound quality is exceptional. Really, really good. I have one moan though, track listing on both the cover and label are wrong on 24 Karat hits! EIB has never sounded better. Essential purchase? Difficult, not cheap and SACD is a dying format. Nice to have? Most definately.

Thanks for the info. Could you give us the correct track listing vs. the noncorrect listed? Does the 50's mono material sound as good as the remasters?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 pm

L Ray wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:I have now listened to both discs on a Marantz SA 15 s2 SACD player. Sound quality is exceptional. Really, really good. I have one moan though, track listing on both the cover and label are wrong on 24 Karat hits! EIB has never sounded better. Essential purchase? Difficult, not cheap and SACD is a dying format. Nice to have? Most definately.

Thanks for the info. Could you give us the correct track listing vs. the noncorrect listed? Does the 50's mono material sound as good as the remasters?

Track listing Label and cover. Figure in brackets is actual running order
01 Heartbreak Hotel (1)
02 Love me (2)
03 Dont be cruel (3)
04 Hound dog (4)
05 A big hunk o love (10)
06 All shook up (6)
07 Teddy Bear (7)
08 Jailhouse rock (8)
09 Wear my ring around your neck (9)
10 Love me tender (5)
11 Stuck on you (11)
12 Its now or never (12)
13 Are you lonesome tonight (13)
14 Surrender (14)
15 His latest flame (15)
16 Little sister (16)
17 Cant help falling in love (17)
18 Good luck charm (18)
19 Shes not you (19)
20 Return to sender (20)
21 Devil in disguise (21)
22 Crying in the chapel (22)
23 In the ghetto (23)
24 Susupicious minds (24)

Sound quality on the mono's is superb, certainly the equal of the CM's

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:32 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:
L Ray wrote:

Track listing Label and cover. Figure in brackets is actual running order
01 Heartbreak Hotel (1)
02 Love me (2)
03 Dont be cruel (3)
04 Hound dog (4)
05 A big hunk o love (10)
06 All shook up (6)
07 Teddy Bear (7)
08 Jailhouse rock (8)
09 Wear my ring around your neck (9)
10 Love me tender (5)
11 Stuck on you (11)
12 Its now or never (12)
13 Are you lonesome tonight (13)
14 Surrender (14)
15 His latest flame (15)
16 Little sister (16)
17 Cant help falling in love (17)
18 Good luck charm (18)
19 Shes not you (19)
20 Return to sender (20)
21 Devil in disguise (21)
22 Crying in the chapel (22)
23 In the ghetto (23)
24 Susupicious minds (24)

Sound quality on the mono's is superb, certainly the equal of the CM's

Thanks for the review! How does the sound of the stereo tracks compare to CM?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey Marko, why don't you just hop a flight over to this guys house
And make yourself at home and listen to his CDs ?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 pm

minkahed wrote:Hey Marko, why don't you just hop a flight over to this guys house
And make yourself at home and listen to his CDs ?

you just continue to be bothersome on this excellent forum, if you can`t submit something worthwhile then please just go away!!

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:40 pm

OK, to summarise. The Cd layer both the mono's and stereos are of excellent quality and certainly up with the CM's. The SACD layer gives just that little bit extra, less 'digital' and more analogue. If you have a decent SACD player I would say they are worth the money. BTW Stereo '57 is due to be released in mid January, could be interesting.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:OK, to summarise. The Cd layer both the mono's and stereos are of excellent quality and certainly up with the CM's. The SACD layer gives just that little bit extra, less 'digital' and more analogue. If you have a decent SACD player I would say they are worth the money. BTW Stereo '57 is due to be released in mid January, could be interesting.

You have been very helpful. I might take the plunge. I'm thinking about it. Can't really go wrong. They will be worth at least the same amount on ebay in the near future is my guess. Thinking about maybe trying one of the CCR cd's also. My early Rolling Stones sound great in SACD. Those are the only ones I have.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:34 pm

L Ray wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:OK, to summarise. The Cd layer both the mono's and stereos are of excellent quality and certainly up with the CM's. The SACD layer gives just that little bit extra, less 'digital' and more analogue. If you have a decent SACD player I would say they are worth the money. BTW Stereo '57 is due to be released in mid January, could be interesting.

You have been very helpful. I might take the plunge. I'm thinking about it. Can't really go wrong. They will be worth at least the same amount on ebay in the near future is my guess. Thinking about maybe trying one of the CCR cd's also. My early Rolling Stones sound great in SACD. Those are the only ones I have.

If you take the plunge I would be interested in your comments. Yes, the Stones set was pretty damn good! You're right can't see these losing money, limited distribution and they do look superb!

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:14 pm

clp1093hmv wrote:
L Ray wrote:

If you take the plunge I would be interested in your comments. Yes, the Stones set was pretty damn good! You're right can't see these losing money, limited distribution and they do look superb!

Yeah I'm moving closer to doing it. Sometimes I need to think about it for awhile. How long did it take for your order to arrive?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:39 am

L Ray wrote:
clp1093hmv wrote:
L Ray wrote:

Yeah I'm moving closer to doing it. Sometimes I need to think about it for awhile. How long did it take for your order to arrive?

About 4 days

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:44 am

clp1093hmv wrote:
L Ray wrote:

Ok, thanks for the info, clp!

I too have those Rolling Stones SACD's and they sound awesome.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:17 pm

I don't have an sacd player anymore, my Denon packed up on me and I couldn't justify a replacement for my small selection. However I do have a dac that can play24 bit audio so I ripped the sacd's to my hard drive and can play the music via my laptop and dac. So if you have a dac you can still buy these and convert this flac file and play them. I have the cd of 24 karat and it is the best sounding of those songs in my opinion. So I will take a punt on the 24/96 versions I reckon.