Post here your Elvis' pictures

Must Ask!!!

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:49 am

I found this on Facebook. Is this for real? It says it's Elvis's Humes graduation, and pulls out a part of it, so you can see him. But the actual photo is small, and I blew it up to 400% in Photoshop, and I can't see anything.

Any info?

GraduationEl.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Must Ask!!!

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:08 am

Well? Photo experts?

rjm

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Not an expert, but looks real to me. A new shot as well.
Maybe someone has a 53 Herald to verify, if this where the shot was taken.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

if it's real?.....excellent find Robin

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:52 pm

It's him for sure and real as far as I know.
There are some great pictures of him pre fame out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:03 pm

rjm wrote:I found this on Facebook. Is this for real? It says it's Elvis's Humes graduation, and pulls out a part of it, so you can see him. But the actual photo is small, and I blew it up to 400% in Photoshop, and I can't see anything.

Any info?

It's the 1953 Humes High Class graduating class photo. It was posted by PEP almost 5 years ago.

Here are topics you may enjoy reading:

the Senior Class Photo
Rare 1953 Humes High Graduation photo

the Senior Picnic
Maywood Beach - Spring '53

the Senior Class Memories
Humes High, Class of 1953 -> Elvis Remembered

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:09 pm

ArtyMorty wrote:It's him for sure and real as far as I know.
There are some great pictures of him pre fame out there.

Your posted photo is a reverse-image. See the corrected view and many others here:

Early Elvis in Tupelo --> Correct Dates?
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67543

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:41 am

Printed backwards in the book I scanned it from then.
Thanks for the link.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:I found this on Facebook. Is this for real? It says it's Elvis's Humes graduation, and pulls out a part of it, so you can see him. But the actual photo is small, and I blew it up to 400% in Photoshop, and I can't see anything.

Any info?

It's the 1953 Humes High Class graduating class photo. It was posted by PEP almost 5 years ago.

Here are topics you may enjoy reading:

the Senior Class Photo
Rare 1953 Humes High Graduation photo

the Senior Picnic
Maywood Beach - Spring '53

the Senior Class Memories
Humes High, Class of 1953 -> Elvis Remembered

Thanks! I wonder why you don't see this very often. Well, now that I know that it's real, I can say that he sure doesn't look happy, for some reason. I thought he was looking forward to it! Look at him. I guess it was a combination of a lot of things. It hadn't been an easy time, and now everything was unknown. But what a sad-looking kid on his big day.

Thanks!

rjm (It's obvious that whomever posted it to Facebook, found THIS version of the picture, exactly. It was lifted directly from here. Perhaps Google Images - which is a 'bot, or somebody did it; you never know how that happens.)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:54 am

IIRC, the same day as his ceremony, Elvis went to the local employment office to apply for work. That's kind of a bummer, from school to an assembly-line job -- which is exactly what happened to him.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:21 pm

One thing that i always wanted to know but never asked. Maybe this is the right time and place.
What is it with that strange ridiculous graduation uniform in the USA and Caribbean aswell. That ugly square platter on the head and long dress? When you wear it you have to look like a proffesor or something? I was born and raised in the Netherlands. When i graduated i appeared in jeans and t-shirt (like everybody) just done in class, name mentioned, come in front, handshakes and diploma, coffee and cake, and adios school.
So where i was raised no one wears a dress and a square platter on the head.
Is this tradition in other parts of world?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:23 am

philobeddo wrote:One thing that i always wanted to know but never asked. Maybe this is the right time and place.
What is it with that strange ridiculous graduation uniform in the USA and Caribbean aswell. That ugly square platter on the head and long dress? When you wear it you have to look like a proffesor or something? I was born and raised in the Netherlands. When i graduated i appeared in jeans and t-shirt (like everybody) just done in class, name mentioned, come in front, handshakes and diploma, coffee and cake, and adios school.
So where i was raised no one wears a dress and a square platter on the head.
Is this tradition in other parts of world?

The academic dress found in most universities in the British Commonwealth and the United States is derived from that of the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, which was a development of academic and clerical dress common throughout the medieval universities of Europe.

See:
Academic dress
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_dress

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:23 am

Most people get a kick out of it, at least once. I have to wear mine at every graduation that I go to, and in the heat, it's a drag.

High school was fun; cause it meant the misery was over. And, later, it was cool to get "hooded" for the phud. Kinda like a wedding ceremony except nothing happens that night but that your folks buy you dinner. Lobster, in my case: it was a big degree and all that. My uncle gave me 50 bucks. And he shot the video.

You have to buy the regalia for permanent use. Some have garish colors like USC, and some don't.

That's basically it. (We even do it for Kindergarten, here! They wear little white regalia. It's cute.)

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:26 am

Thanks Doc,
clear story!

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 am

philobeddo wrote:Thanks Doc,
clear story!

You are welcome. I like to share information!