Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:06 am

Tony.. wrote:No, only 89%. 8)
I USUALLY say that I'm NOT going to buy any more poor sounding audience recordings of substandard shows with the same old set lists. However, if this one IS good sound quality and we KNOW it's a good performance, then it will be worth obtaining. :wink:

i surely expect quality sound from SA.....very few dissapointments in the past. i have been assured the sound is 'good' on both releases.....but as you say proof is when we get to hear the hyped product!~ :roll: :D

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:thats because the picture is taken during suspicious minds during the afternoon show of June 10 1972

Correct.

I'm no jumpsuit junkie, but Elvis wore a blue suit during the afternoon show of June 10, 1972. Is this a case of colour manipulation for the cover of Left A Good Job In The City? I'm not seeing the blue on that small artwork image that has been posted.

Here's a larger copy.

121101_Left A Good Job.JPG

I had to look carefully to see that it's the suit he wore on Saturday afternoon, June 10. Why a shot from the actual show on June 9 -- and there are dozens of great ones out there -- was not used is extremely peculiar.

And it's greatly unfortunate that the segment where Jackie Kahane is booed off the stage by a New York crowd with little patience for a bu'llshit comedian was not included. I've heard it and it's amazing to hear.

It may have been the only time that ever happened, and it certainly pissed off Elvis backstage (and likely put him on edge). It's a significant moment in the history of Elvis' tours in the 1970s.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:thats because the picture is taken during suspicious minds during the afternoon show of June 10 1972

Correct.

I'm no jumpsuit junkie, but Elvis wore a blue suit during the afternoon show of June 10, 1972. Is this a case of colour manipulation for the cover of Left A Good Job In The City? I'm not seeing the blue on that small artwork image that has been posted.

Here's a larger copy.

I had to look carefully to see that it's the suit he wore on Saturday afternoon, June 10. Why a shot from the actual show on June 9 -- and there are dozens of great ones out there -- was not used is extremely peculiar.

And it's greatly unfortunate that the segment where Jackie Kahane is booed off the stage by a New York crowd with little patience for a bu'llshit comedian was not included. I've heard it and it's amazing to hear.

It may have been the only time that ever happened, and it certainly pissed off Elvis backstage (and likely put him on edge). It's a significant moment in the history of Elvis' tours in the 1970s.

"Whatsa matta? You can't hear?"

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's a larger copy.

You have the tape, I see. It's quite a revelation. One might think Kahane would have re-thought his act after the evening of June 9. But nooooooo...

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

You have the tape, I see. It's quite a revelation. One might think Kahane would have re-thought his act after the evening of June 9. But nooooooo...

There is some footage of this on the documentary with the Prince package (including the "You can't hear?" quote..

As for that artwork for the new release, that has to be one of the most awful images they could have found from those concerts. It must be the angle, but Elvis looks alot heavier here than he actually was, and the haircut looks more like the one he had in 1976 than 1972.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

As for that artwork for the new release, that has to be one of the most awful images they could have found from those concerts. It must be the angle, but Elvis looks alot heavier here than he actually was...

The shot used for the cover of PFAP is not that flattering either.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Robert wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:I don't get audience recordings very often these days, but I will be getting these two

The way they are hyping the MSG show, I will get it, but will be disappointed if it's yet another virtually unlistenable recording.

Let's see, SA usually stands for quality...

Usually, but not always. I have a couple of SA releases that are piss poor (audio wise), but they are the exception to the rule.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Correct.

Here's a larger copy.

You're right. That would have set the tone to the Elvis rocks MSG anthology.
Will somebody who knows Straight Arrow ask them why the segment featuring Jackie Kahane was not featured or if it will be on some future release ?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 pm

I'll ask SA.....but what if the recording only STARTED as 2001 was being played!? :roll:

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:16 pm

YDKM wrote:I'll ask SA.....but what if the recording only STARTED as 2001 was being played!? :roll:

The tape I have is likely a different source. But it exists, and has been around for years.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:19 pm

So Put it up on YT with some slideshow (if you know how to) :mrgreen:

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 pm

I had to look carefully to see that it's the suit he wore on Saturday afternoon, June 10.

So the producers have photoshopped the suit to white? It certainly doesn't look blue to me.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:I'll ask SA.....but what if the recording only STARTED as 2001 was being played!? :roll:

The tape I have is likely a different source. But it exists, and has been around for years.

I am not aware of the tape..did I miss anything..?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Kahane is booed off the stage on June 9. The existing tape is LOUD. You can hear and see the beginning of it on this YouTube upload:

phpBB [video]

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Matthew wrote:

I had to look carefully to see that it's the suit he wore on Saturday afternoon, June 10.

So the producers have photoshopped the suit to white? It certainly doesn't look blue to me.

My guess is, if there was a reduction of the blue color, the designer made the decision, and it went unnoticed.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Kahane is booed off the stage on June 9. The existing tape is LOUD. You can hear and see the beginning of it on this YouTube upload:

phpBB [video]

Okay,..John..thanks.. it is sourced from footage.
I don`t know any audio source on cdr...all cdr start with the 2001 Theme..
SA surely don`t have the show with pre programm either..

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 am

[quote="Ciscoking"
Okay,..John..thanks.. it is sourced from footage.
SA surely don`t have the show with pre programm either..[/quote]

that's my understanding also!~ 8)

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:46 am

Ciscoking wrote:Okay,..John..thanks.. it is sourced from footage.
SA surely don`t have the show with pre programm either..

That is not what I am saying. I have never seen video for the booing except that recent YouTube upload.

The cassette tape I have circulated at least 20 years ago, and is clearly someone in the audience recording the audio. It is only of Kahane getting booed off the stage, nothing else. And I am no huge audio collector. So if I managed to pick it up, a lot of fans must have it.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 am

How is the 6/11 show better than the 6/9 show? I would think that the opening show would be better...

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:53 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Robert wrote:
Alexander wrote:
Robert wrote:Spectacular!
Chicago is already available in great sound but hearing the May 2nd show from a brand new source is something to look forward to.
Great show. Not good, not ok. Great. The only one together with Ann Arbor.

CD 2 / Monday, May 2, 1977, 8:30pm, Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois
01. Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra - 02. C. C. Rider - 03. I Got A Woman / Amen - 04. Love Me - 05. Fairytale - 06. You Gave Me A Mountain - 07. Jailhouse Rock - 08. O Sole Mio (Sherrill Nielsen) / It's Now Or Never - 09. Little Sister - 10. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel - 11. My Way - 12. Polk Salad Annie (with false start) - 13. Introduction of vocalists, musicians - 14. Early Mornin' Rain - 15. What'd I Say - 16. Johnny B. Goode - 17. Drum Solo (Ronnie Tutt) - 18. Bass Solo (Blues theme, Jerry Scheff) - 19. Piano Solo (Tony Brown) - 20. Electric Piano Solo (Bobby Ogdin) - 21. School Day - 22. Hurt (with reprise) - 23. Hound Dog - 24. Can't Help Falling In Love - 25. Closing Vamp / Announcements.

I have not heard this show before but the bulk of the concert to me seems oldies stuff (Elvis treats his 50s/ 60s hits that way) and there are only 3 or 4 demanding songs. When not counting the introductions the quality Elvis time seems to be very short also, so I am curious Robert: why do you rank this so high to call it great? And do you mean great just for 1977 or great from a 1969 -1977 perspective? No negativity intended Robert, just curious.

Hi Alex,

Good question, here's my take on the show, clear speech, good vocals.
Elvis approaches most songs with conviction other than leaving the hard parts to his backing vocals.
No setlist surprises but I'm sure you will enjoy this show.
The audience is great and to give an idea on his spirits that evening, he did a backroll right after Hurt. (check youtube)

The May first show is avarage and doesn't stand out imo.

Anyway, the biggest news of course is the discovery of a good NY tape!

So really it's not a great show, it's simply Elvis putting on a professional show for once. Surely anyone attending any show by anybody should EXPECT clear speech, good vocals and some conviction? I fail to see where this makes it great. It's Elvis doing what he's supposed to.

Yes, that is probably true, - that he "only" does his job. However, it was not quite like that in those days. I have by accident just once more listened to the CDs in The Final Curtain box, including Saginaw 3.May 77. His performance is SO much below par, below what is reasonable to expect,that I felt embarrased for him! He mumbles, does not speak very clearly, does hardly try.... It is a man falling off a cliff, man. So, in THIS light, the reviews of the show might justify "great" for a show near the end. Tragic.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 am

I hope they change the cover to the NYC show... its horrible!

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

The cassette tape I have circulated at least 20 years ago, and is clearly someone in the audience recording the audio. It is only of Kahane getting booed off the stage, nothing else.

Okay,..that`s why I don`t have it..and don`t need it..thank you, John..

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

I wonder why this clip wasn't included on "PFAP"??? After all it's supposedly from the same TV station source as the truncated press conference footage.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Tony.. wrote:I wonder why this clip wasn't included on "PFAP"??? After all it's supposedly from the same TV station source as the truncated press conference footage.

A small portion was used on the documentary.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:13 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
Tony.. wrote:I wonder why this clip wasn't included on "PFAP"??? After all it's supposedly from the same TV station source as the truncated press conference footage.

A small portion was used on the documentary.

From a poor quality print too.