Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is it EPEs responsibility to keep the Elvis legacy going?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:07 am

If so, do you think they are doing a good job? Are they releasing or plan on releasing the right projects? If not, what should be done differently?

And how does this whole pyramid with MRS Sony FTD fit in?

Just looking for opinions?

Re: Is it EPEs responsibility to keep the Elvis legacy going

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:33 am

He's been gone 35 years and the money is still pouring in, so I would say someone is doing something right. :wink:

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:44 pm

promiseland wrote:He's been gone 35 years and the money is still pouring in, so I would say someone is doing something right. :wink:

lol.......agree

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:28 pm

promiseland wrote:He's been gone 35 years and the money is still pouring in, so I would say someone is doing something right. :wink:

It's a pity there wasn't more of it when he was alive. :wink:

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Delboy wrote:

It's a pity there wasn't more of it when he was alive. :wink:

There was enough but he gave it all away.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:26 pm

I just hope his legacy continues. It seems 10 years ago when number 1 hits was released, there was more of an Elvis demand than today. I just hope as decades continue and generations move forward, Elvis music lives on.

It seems there hasn't been a major release with such demand since. I guess Christmas duets was a far second. So are EPE doing their best?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:45 pm

I would say Yes and no.

First i will start with the no part.

After Elvis' death his record sales were enormous this created a need for more product.

Elvis' popularity was huge back then in the late 70s and 80s after his death and EPE and RCA just reaped the money out of it.

They weren't really responsible for making the money or creating Elvis.

The Elvis juggernaught just rolled on where it arguably finally peaked in 2002 but continued on for a few more years.

I feel Elvis' popularity has started to decline since around 2008 for two reasons.

1. We have gotten so far away from 1977 that not as many people feel a personal connection to Elvis.
Elvis has been gone a long time.

2. A lack of new songs or anything else that would get Elvis a lot of publicity in 2012 or beyond.

Now the Yes part.

EPE and Sony's job was always to promote Elvis to the best of their ability to maximize profits for themselves.

I'll say EPE could produce more documentaries to try to get new fans interested in Elvis' career and life.

EPE has done that in the past and they could do it a few more times.

I would suggest a documentary showcasing Elvis' blues roots similar to the He Touched documentary.

A better and more serious documentary could be made talking about Elvis' impact playing Las Vegas.

The much talked about Elvis Anthology project.

I have mixed feelings about the job EPE has done they could have presented Elvis in a less tacky way.
Last edited by brian on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:If so, do you think they are doing a good job? Are they releasing or plan on releasing the right projects? If not, what should be done differently?

And how does this whole pyramid with MRS Sony FTD fit in?

What does MRS have to do with anything?? They have nothing to do with EPE or Sony...
Let me ask a more pointed question... after making $55 million dollars this past year, how are they not doing a good job???

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Back in 2002, you wouldn't have gotten such a release as Prince From Another Planet. You would have gotten a reissue at best. And not even that happened.

Brian, Elvis' popularity is not declining in any way shape or form. Just because he's not on TV as much or on radio today does not mean he's fading. My God! They are still putting up statues of him all over the world and in countries that he never even visited. People of all ages are spending hard earned money in a rough global economy on Presley cds, dvds, tours of Graceland and even to see a dead man on a video screen. The recent Elvis Experience in Brazil was a major success and introduced Elvis to many young people and brought in new fans. You go to Graceland today and you are likely to see more young adults between the ages of 18-30 than you will of people 50-70. If Elvis' popularity was declining at all, E.P.E. would be concerned, and they're not.

Elvis may not be as popular like some hot artist of the moment, but he's popular like that of past historical figures which has a longer lasting impact on society and future generations to come. Longevity is what's most important for a legacy.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:08 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Back in 2002, you wouldn't have gotten such a release as Prince From Another Planet. You would have gotten a reissue at best. And not even that happened.

Brian, Elvis' popularity is not declining in any way shape or form. Just because he's not on TV as much or on radio today does not mean he's fading. My God! They are still putting up statues of him all over the world and in countries that he never even visited. People of all ages are spending hard earned money in a rough global economy on Presley cds, dvds, tours of Graceland and even to see a dead man on a video screen. The recent Elvis Experience in Brazil was a major success and introduced Elvis to many young people and brought in new fans. You go to Graceland today and you are likely to see more young adults between the ages of 18-30 than you will of people 50-70.

I understand that.

Elvis always has fans i just feel that he's not as popular now as he was 10 or 20 years ago.

Now of course it's enivitable that Elvis' popularity will decline if it hasn't already.

When that does happen there isn't a whole lot EPE could do about it.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:08 pm

It's a wonder Elvis' legacy didn't die after 1978 with the trash RCA was releasing..."Elvis sings for children & grown-ups too!", Half baked releases like "He walks beside me". "Our memories of Elvis" vol 1 AND 2. My husband was just saying the other day that RCA was marketing Elvis in 1975 and 1976 like he was already dead. Then after he died RCA gave us crumbs to buy. "The Elvis Medley" album, "Guitar Man" .....the only decent release for the collector and fan base was "Elvis aron Presley" in 1980 and the "Golden Celebration" set in 1985. The years after he died were indeed lean pickings. The bootleggers released more product to keep up with the demand that Elvis' record label did. FTD has been a godsend. Not every release has been great ("Hits of the '70's"...why???) But as far as the music coming out on a regular basis, I salute them. EPE on the other hand...I don't know. Elvis ducks? Elvis furry slippers? Elvis cologne? Some very questionable products there!! Elvis has been gone 35 years and we are still talking about him, so there's a sign that something's right!

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Now the EPE can buy the Elvis on Tour film rights and produce a Deluxe 4 dvd's with the filmed concerts. I'll repeat again: they have a lot of money (55 millions aren't pocket money, don't you think/). This can be a major impact all over the world and a big comercial hit to make his popularity even stronger. Until it's not too late, because like Brian said, maybe 10 or 20 years from now Elvis will have half from popularity of today. Sorry, but we all are geting old and someday there will be no more people living who saw Elvis in concert. Sad but true. Of course the documentaries and the movies will live but...... So EPE must done something about EOT now!!

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:30 pm

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Back in 2002, you wouldn't have gotten such a release as Prince From Another Planet. You would have gotten a reissue at best. And not even that happened.

Brian, Elvis' popularity is not declining in any way shape or form. Just because he's not on TV as much or on radio today does not mean he's fading. My God! They are still putting up statues of him all over the world and in countries that he never even visited. People of all ages are spending hard earned money in a rough global economy on Presley cds, dvds, tours of Graceland and even to see a dead man on a video screen. The recent Elvis Experience in Brazil was a major success and introduced Elvis to many young people and brought in new fans. You go to Graceland today and you are likely to see more young adults between the ages of 18-30 than you will of people 50-70.

I understand that.

Elvis always has fans i just feel that he's not as popular now as he was 10 or 20 years ago.

Now of course it's enivitable that Elvis' popularity will decline if it hasn't already.

As I said, it has not declined. It's easier today for a young person to be a fan in public than it was 10-20 years ago. I would say that Michael Jackson, who only died 3 years ago, has already seen more of a decline of popularity than Elvis has, who's been gone for 35 years.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:55 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:

I understand that.

As I said, it has not declined..

I disagree.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:59 pm

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:

I understand that.

I disagree.

Why am I not surprised?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:35 am

I was in FYE yesterday and the top 16 selling music acts right now is rap music. No more rock and roll. The world is definitely changing. Will todays generation give a sh*t about Elvis? This is what got me thinking of this topic, which has been done countless times in similar fashions, but I just think more can be done to market Elvis to a new audience.

A real Elvis movie like Johnny Cash - Walk The Line.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:57 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:

I understand that.

I disagree.

Why am I not surprised?

If you don't think Elvis popularity is declining that's fine maybe i'm wrong about that.

Don't get surly with me about it.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:12 am

I'm not sure I see your argument. Sure, no Madison Square Garden project appeared in 2002 however BMG where not shy of deluxe mainstream Elvis projects 10 years or so ago:

Such A Night - Essential Elvis Vol. 6 (2000)
That's The Way It Is - Special Edition (3 CD) (2000)
Live in Las Vegas (4 CD) (2001)
Today, Tomorrow & Forever (4 CD) (2002)
Close Up (4 CD Box) (2003)

In 2002 An Afternoon In The Garden was only five years old, issued for the 25th anniversary of the show. Perhaps they though doing something for the 30th anniversary was a little too soon.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 am

Matthew wrote:

I'm not sure I see your argument. Sure, no Madison Square Garden project appeared in 2002 however BMG where not shy of deluxe mainstream Elvis projects 10 years or so ago:

In 2002 An Afternoon In The Garden was only five years old, issued for the 25th anniversary of the show. Perhaps they though doing something for the 30th anniversary was a little too soon.

What I meant was that back then, prior to the 30 Number On Hits album, they didn't promote Elvis' music nor did it chart. They just announced it and released it a short time later. If those above mentioned releases had come out today, most if not all, would have charted and gotten major media exposure the way that other Elvis releases get now.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:43 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:I was in FYE yesterday and the top 16 selling music acts right now is rap music. No more rock and roll. The world is definitely changing. Will todays generation give a sh*t about Elvis? This is what got me thinking of this topic, which has been done countless times in similar fashions, but I just think more can be done to market Elvis to a new audience.

I guess it all depends on what market you live in. If it's a large US inner city, then it explains the rap music being a bigger seller because of the demographics. Smaller markets would have a different appeal. But to be honest, country music is the top selling music format out there and has been for quite a while. Many of the top country artists are also on pop top 40 radio, like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood.

The Johnny Cash biopic only happened because it was a short time after his death. So there was a reason for one.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:46 am

brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
brian wrote:

I understand that.

I disagree.

Why am I not surprised?

If you don't think Elvis popularity is declining that's fine maybe i'm wrong about that.

Don't get surly with me about it.

The facts of large attendances at Graceland yearly, media coverage of his death and birthday anniversaries, and media coverage of new releases like PFAP is all one needs to know about Elvis' ongoing popularity.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:19 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:I was in FYE yesterday and the top 16 selling music acts right now is rap music. No more rock and roll. The world is definitely changing. Will todays generation give a sh*t about Elvis? This is what got me thinking of this topic, which has been done countless times in similar fashions, but I just think more can be done to market Elvis to a new audience.

I don't know about FYE but I do know that Rap and Hip Hop music has been leading the music sales market for more than a dacade and the shitty. girly. modern Rock music has been doing good too.So there is nothing new here.

I agree maybe there should be a real inspiring Elvis movie to spread the good news to every young people in the world.

Rock 'n' Roll will live forever! The world is not changing, soulless people are making you think it is changing! Don't buy into delusions my friend!

Maybe in the future there won't be a lot of rich people buying and selling Elvis' old and rusty vinyls for thousands of pounds and making profit out of it. But there will always be young, poor, soulful people like me with a ffuck yeah attitude discovering real Rock music and real music in general, and then the King of Rock 'n' Roll and real music Elvis Presley and never turn back!

Matthew 19:24
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Food for thought. 8)

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:56 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:

What I meant was that back then, prior to the 30 Number On Hits album, they didn't promote Elvis' music nor did it chart. They just announced it and released it a short time later. If those above mentioned releases had come out today, most if not all, would have charted and gotten major media exposure the way that other Elvis releases get now.

That's simply not true. I didn't have the internet in 2000 when Such A Night was released. I didn't belong to Elvis fan clubs, societies etc either - and yet I knew that CD was coming out and the date it was coming out. The same is true for each and everyone of the releases that Matthew lists.

I'm also quite intrigued at what this major media exposure is that you're talking about that Elvis albums get today? I must have missed that.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:11 am

poormadpeter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:

That's simply not true. I didn't have the internet in 2000 when Such A Night was released. I didn't belong to Elvis fan clubs, societies etc either - and yet I knew that CD was coming out and the date it was coming out. The same is true for each and everyone of the releases that Matthew lists.

I'm also quite intrigued at what this major media exposure is that you're talking about that Elvis albums get today? I must have missed that.

So how did you know that it was coming out? Seriously though, those releases never got media coverage. Unless it was in a musical review magazine or newspaper. There were no TV ads or social media promotions like you see now. I do remember back when Elvis' box set for the 70's masters came out, it got a big article on the front page of the Entertainment section of the USA Today. I remember reading it during my lunch break and gloating at the positive review. But that was about it. With 30 Number One Hits, there was a major marketing campaign behind it which helped get it to #1. Same with Second To None and Elvis By The Presley's which both fared well reaching top #3 and #15 respectfully. But when it came to Tomorrow Is A Long Time, Such A Night, or That's The Way It Is, there were no media coverage, just an ad here and there.

Today, no matter what Elvis release comes out, it gets media attention and some even get a marketing campaign behind them.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:21 am

Arguably this is one of the premier Elvis boards. The average post has say 25 replies and 200 views. I think it is fair to say Elvis' day in the sun is just about over. Btw it was over by say 1974- his premature death solidified him in the popular consciousness. The music will live on but mostly as an artifact of the late 20th century and he will forever be an icon of just what a real star is.