Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Do you have the Vic Anesini remaster of 1972's Madison Square Garden?

Yes, I have the Franklin Mint set, Complete Masters, or the new Legacy Edition.
74%
No, I only have the old early 90s BMG CD and/or other earlier CD version.
26%

Total votes : 57

Re: Do you have Vic Anesini's remaster of Madison Square Gar

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Matthew wrote:It says a lot actually - it says that many do not have the optimum digital mastering of the 1972 mix to compare the 2012 mix to.

Got it.. in that sense you're right.

I have an import remastered version (ES), original vinyl, venus import version and AATG.
Legacy & PFAP are on their way..
Last edited by Robert on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Yes, I have his remaster of the ES on the Franklin Mini set. That's all the MSG I need.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:08 pm

I bought the Legacy edition and also PFAP (not heard that yet though, it's an Xmas present !!!) Anyway I also have the TCM boxset and note that on that boxset the original Side 1 fade out and Side 2 fade in are present whereas on Legacy it's mixed to present one continual performance as on the original CD. So I wonder is this a further remaster of the original masters, just an edit of the TCM version or a remaster of the original '90's CD (as with AAITG). Although the original '90's CD runs a few seconds longer than the Legacy edition. In any case I like it as I do with all the Legacy editions so far...

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Is Al Dvorin's newly heard complete closing announcement as included on PFAP also nicluded on the recent MSG re-master?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 am

Matthew wrote: I am wondering if everyone who is stating how much better the new mix is have actually heard the Anesini remaster of the vintage mix, or if they are launching their opinion from the terrible early 90s BMG CD of Madison Square Garden.

I agree with your comments that Bauer seems to have messed up the Backing-Vocals. I wonder what their isolated channel with compression sounded like pre being mixed in. Very odd.
Placing them "behind" Elvis in the centre was not a good idea either.

I HAVE enjoyed playing the new version on speakers with room ambience - or in the car.
New stadium audio mixers of course have the option of compression & manipulation of each channel before going to the stadium speakers compared to the mixers of old. It is possible that the Elvis MSG concerts would have sounded like these new mixes had they taken place today.

However I do find the new mix a little fatiguing on headphones.
Then I find Vic Anesini's is a better listen.

The positive with PFAP is that Elvis’ vocal track is nice and high throughout and doesn’t disappear down into the band mix as it does in the original release.

Of course we could have all done a different mix that would have suited each of our own individual preferences.
I would have kept the original mix placement, upped the audience at points, beefed up Ronnie Tutt and used a more consistent Elvis vocal track (as Bauer has done).

However I wouldn’t have compressed the f k out of everything and would have kept a far greater (peak-to-quiet) dynamic particularly on the ballads.

In the end though I will play both versions and am REALLY happy with PFAP as the price was so cheap and the overall 2cds, DVD and book great value for money.

Cheers
Piers

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 pm

PiersEIN wrote:Of course we could have all done a different mix that would have suited each of our own individual preferences.

BINGO! :smt023

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Robert wrote:The "do you have" poll doesn't say that much.
Shouldn't we start a poll around who's preferring what?

So many different opinions I start to wonder what the general thought is...

I now have both and I appreciate both for their differences. {Complete Masters cd-r for Vic's remaster}
I just crank up the volume and enjoy! :smt020