Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Single version of Life

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:19 am

He hated it. "The damn thing's almost as long as life itself." Elvis Presley.

I think I'll give him the last word on this one. My LEAST favorite of the "regular" Elvis writers. Shirl Milette.

He sang, too!

phpBB [video]

:mrgreen:

rjm (He "even seen nowhere" and seen "dead men weep" and "watched the universe stand still")

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:28 am

I think a little too much is made of "Life" as a single. I think it was put out because its vaguely religious overtones probably seemed appropriate for the sentimentally religious Easter season. RCA had been exploiting the Easter market since "Crying in the Chapel" exploded in 1965.

Milete's status with Lamar was probably why it was recorded in the first place.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 am

Finally! Some reality brought to this thread. Thank you, likethebike. You hit the nail on the head.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:20 am

There is still life in the idea of an FTD covering the complete 1960 onwards mono singles.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 pm

I'd be "all in" for an FTD release like that, Matthew.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Andy-M wrote:Here you can find the SINGLE MONO MIX on CD

8)

http://www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/c ... -jp08.html

Great sound on this one.....including the 4 bonus tracks.
When playing the original album this is the version I put in my cd player.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:20 pm

" A vast and timeless source began" Really?

If the "source" was timeless , how could it begin? :?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:25 am

likethebike wrote:I think a little too much is made of "Life" as a single.

This statement is valid only if one has zero interest in a serious look at the artistry of Elvis Presley.

Or if one is desperate to excuse this huge misstep in the 36 year-old singer's career, and how it symbolizes the dysfunction at artist and management level.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:IIRC, the single version can also be found on the german compilation LP "Rare Elvis, Vol. 3".

Yes! And I have this LP. "Life" (single version) is a major highlight.

Glad you enjoy it. :D Although there are probably fifteen even bigger highlights on that one. :wink:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Or if one is desperate to excuse this huge misstep in the 36 year-old singer's career, and how it symbolizes the dysfunction at artist and management level.

As does that artwork for Love Letters From Elvis as seen above. What an abomination.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:... the portentous and embarrassing "Life" was released by RCA Records as an Elvis Presley single A-side in May 1971...

likethebike wrote:I think it was put out because its vaguely religious overtones probably seemed appropriate for the sentimentally religious Easter season. RCA had been exploiting the Easter market since "Crying in the Chapel" exploded in 1965.

JerryNodak wrote:Thank you, likethebike. You hit the nail on the head.

No, likethebike didn't hit the nail on the head... drjohn did in this case.

The release of "Life" was well past the Easter season of 1971. Easter was on April 11th in '71 and the single wasn't released until May 25th >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/life-only-believe/

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:... the portentous and embarrassing "Life" was released by RCA Records as an Elvis Presley single A-side in May 1971...

Blue River wrote:The release of "Life" was well past the Easter season of 1971. Easter was on April 11th in '71 and the single wasn't released until May 25th >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/life-only-believe/

In this instance "Elvis Records US" is wrong - The single 'Only Believe / Life' (Note 'Life' is the "B" side) was released on April 27 1971 and here is the RCA Listing Notice dated April 14 1971, showing an April release.

The same release date (April 27 1971) is also duly noted in the book accompanying the "Complete Masters" box.

Hope this helps!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:50 am

Keith wrote:

Blue River wrote:The release of "Life" was well past the Easter season of 1971. Easter was on April 11th in '71 and the single wasn't released until May 25th >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/life-only-believe/

In this instance "Elvis Records US" is wrong - The single 'Only Believe / Life' (Note 'Life' is the "B" side) was released on April 27 1971 and here is the RCA Listing Notice dated April 14 1971, showing an April release.
The same release date (April 27 1971) is also duly noted in the book accompanying the "Complete Masters" box.

Hope this helps!

Yes, thanks Keith, your information does help, but where does it show an April 27 release?
Even if so, it was still released after Easter of '71 which debunks likethebike's theory of RCA's reason for releasing it as a single.

The following release dates are also from elvisrecords.us -
"Peace In The Valley" - extended play record
released April 11, 1957
Easter... April 21, 1957

"Crying In The Chapel" / "I Believe In The Man In The Sky" - single
released April 6, 1965
Easter... April 18, 1965

"Joshua Fit The Battle" / "Known Only To Him" - single
and "Milky White Way" / "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" - single
released Feb.15, 1966
Easter... April 10, 1966

"You'll Never Walk Alone" / "We Call On Him" - single
released March 26, 1968
Easter...... April 14, 1968

"How Great Thou Art" / "His Hand In Mine" - single
released March 25, 1969
Easter........ April 6, 1969

"The Wonder of You" / "Mama Liked The Roses" - single
released........... April 20, 1970
Mother's Day... May 10, 1970

"He Touched Me" / "Bosom of Abraham" - single
released Feb. 4, 1972
Easter... April 2, 1972

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:23 am

Keith wrote:In this instance "Elvis Records US" is wrong - The single 'Only Believe / Life' (Note 'Life' is the "B" side) was released on April 27 1971 and here is the RCA Listing Notice dated April 14 1971, showing an April release.

710414_RCA document.jpg

Hope this helps!

Well, it's a side issue, really, but it does indeed help my argument!

Easter fell on Sunday, April 11, 1971, and the document you offer clearly shows a April 14th date at top, and a received date of April 19th at bottom, both of which are well AFTER the Easter holiday. In addition, these dates do not mean the single was pressed, shipped and in stores before May 1st.

And in fact, the first Billboard appearance of the regrettable single "Life" is in the May 8th issue as a Top 60 spotlight pick. Amusingly, "Life" is termed a "compelling ballad with a strong lyric line."

Billboard May 8 1971 p66.jpg
Billboard - May 8, 1971

The single entered the Billboard US Pop Charts at #87 the following week, May 15th. Thus, the possibility it first hit the stores in May -- if not May 25 as written in elvisrecords.us, a fantastic website resource -- is very good indeed. And, of course, that date is part of what I originally wrote in the side comment above. I always aim to be accurate.

Thanks for the confirming documentation, and do let us know if you find that tape of Elvis singing "Old Shep" on stage in 1957. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:03 am

At times like these we need to re-visit the literary genius that is the liner notes to Elvis Country - Legacy Edition:

"Elvis Presley celebrated the gift of life through the power of song and the message that an effective piece of material could engender. When he recorded Shirl Milete's "Life" as a trailer for the album, the humbling theology could easily have been viewed as an extension of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord." Unfortunately, the public didn't take to Elvis being a holistic tree-hugger, and the single stalled just outside of the Top 50." - Stuart Colman, New York, October 2011 - booklet p20.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 am

Matthew wrote:At times like these we need to re-visit the literary genius that is the liner notes to Elvis Country - Legacy Edition:

"Elvis Presley celebrated the gift of life through the power of song and the message that an effective piece of material could engender. When he recorded Shirl Milete's "Life" as a trailer for the album, the humbling theology could easily have been viewed as an extension of George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord." Unfortunately, the public didn't take to Elvis being a holistic tree-hugger, and the single stalled just outside of the Top 50." - Stuart Colman, New York, October 2011 - booklet p20.

Let's hope Stuart Colman has made strides since that ignominious payday.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 am

As usual, looking back we are all experts on what should have been done and what shouldn't.
At the time it was a nice b-side, better than the a-side.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:42 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:As usual, looking back we are all experts on what should have been done and what shouldn't.

Not as nice as "My Boy" in 1975, though. ;-)

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Matthew wrote:At times like these we need to re-visit the literary genius that is the liner notes to Elvis Country - Legacy Edition:

After reading that you really just don't know what to say - except that it's not an effective piece of material, and that presley wouldn't record a "trailer" for an album that wasn't even on the cards at the time. The only thing the writer got right is that it bombed.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:55 pm

A classic single :D

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:07 am

Life is a good song from Cd /Lp - Love Letters from Elvis -#
It depicts the making of the world - Its a good theory how Life began -

Some may disagree with me - Its a gospel type of song -
-I have found this song theapeutic whn I felt low at tyme with illness etc - It gave me a meaning for ''Life '' (lol )

. Yes I do agree with Dr . John Carpenter that Elvis was an adaptable singer who could sing any thing -Gospel etc - But to me -the song Life is a good song - which has uplifted me at times when i hear this -

Elvis did sing crummy songs like Old MacDonald and such whilst making movies - he detested them but he sure came back with a vengeance when he did 68 Come back Special -
Amen -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:29 am

karlos wrote:Some may disagree with me - Its a gospel type of song ...

karlos, "Life" is about as much a gospel song as "Hound Dog" is a piece of jazz.

But if you dig it, good for you!

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
karlos wrote:Some may disagree with me - Its a gospel type of song ...

karlos, "Life" is about as much a gospel song as "Hound Dog" is a piece of jazz.

But if you dig it, good for you!

...........................................................................................................................
Ty Sir - (Dr.John Carpenter ) - Im not being a sour puss etc -
but truly as I have said the song has helped me in my way of thinkn etc -especially when I was ill- etc and when i was thinkn of givin it up -
Enjoy ya weeks ahead John Carpenter - God Bless You Buddy - I really dig ya posts on this forum and enjoy reading ya theories and such - TCE4Evr -

Ive been a fan for over 42 Yrs To date and enjoy being fan for years to come
- Long Live The King 4Ever -
::rocks

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:22 am

zolderopruiming1 wrote:As usual, looking back we are all experts on what should have been done and what shouldn't.

I disagree. I like Only Believe far more than Life. I think Elvis did too. It's a good performance. He did Only Believe live too. I don't remember an instance of him singing Life on a concert stage.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:28 am

Anyone who hasn't heard the single is going to be disappointed with "the different ending." Elvis doesn't make that strange "Er" sound he makes on the LP version.