Poll ended at Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 am

Thanksgiving Tiger
40%
Thanksgiving Turkey
60%

Total votes : 67

Re: HARUM SCARUM - Rare Ads and Images

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:52 pm

HoneyTalkNelson, you have got to share with us now the back-story on the deep affection you clearly have for HARUM SCARUM.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:53 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:This lobbycard might be an image from the deleted "Animal Instinct" sequence. In the finished film, there is a cut from the assassins approaching to Elvis and Fran Jeffries about to drink the wine. From this pose, it looks like he might be singing to her. What do you think?

I want more pictures!

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:01 am

HoneyTalkNelson, here's a fixed version of one of your image uploads (three were reversed):

Harum-publicity_FIXED.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:44 am

That's the way those images are printed on the original contact sheet so I left them as is.

I've always championed the underdog. As an example:

When I was a kid, everybody was crazy for the Marx Brothers. I liked Abbott and Costello.

When people rave about Cinerama and CinemaScope, I promote 3-D.

When they were out of favor in the mid to late 1970's, I was listening to Dean Martin and Louis Prima.

When people wax poetic over the justifiable beauty of Technicolor, I sing the praises of SuperCinecolor.

Do you understand where I'm coming from? People will write books about Jailhouse Rock and King Creole, but I"m going to do my best to document an underdog like Harum Scarum.

Don't forget to vote.

More exploitation materials will be posted soon...

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:That's the way those images are printed on the original contact sheet so I left them as is.

I've always championed the underdog. As an example:

When I was a kid, everybody was crazy for the Marx Brothers. I liked Abbott and Costello.

When people rave about Cinerama and CinemaScope, I promote 3-D.

When they were out of favor in the mid to late 1970's, I was listening to Dean Martin and Louis Prima.

When people wax poetic over the justifiable beauty of Technicolor, I sing the praises of SuperCinecolor.

Do you understand where I'm coming from? People will write books about Jailhouse Rock and King Creole, but I"m going to do my best to document an underdog like Harum Scarum.

Don't forget to vote.

More exploitation materials will be posted soon...

Glad you liked the image update.

I've never imagined "Harum Scarum" as an underdog. Or at least not the "under" part. Or, to put it another way, both the Marx Brothers and Abbott & Costello have their great moments, but there are no great moments in "Harum Scarum."

That said, I have been singing "Harem Holiday" around the house all week. A small triumph for Peter Anders (Andreoli), Vince Poncia Jr. and Jimmie Crane, one might say.

640600_Do I Love You sheet music.JPG
The Ronettes "Do I Love You" sheet music

Despite their great success at Philles, Peter and Vini miss their families and friends and return to the east coast. Back in New York City, they begin writing and producing their own demos and one of their tunes, influenced by the surf music they’d been hearing in California, was placed with Leiber & Stoller, now riding high with their own Red Bird and Blue Cat record labels. Red Bird thought the demo they’d produced was of releasable quality and Peter and Vini found themselves christened “The Tradewinds”. The song is “New York’s A Lonely Town” and it begins it’s run up to the top of the charts and Anders & Poncia once again find themselves on the performing end of the business. They quickly bring the group to life enlisting Norman Marzano and Bobby Calitri from The Videls. The group tours nationally and performs the song on “Shindig”. Further releases and continued demand for the group in live performance leads Peter and Vini to create a “road” version of the band sending Marzano (now on bass guitar) out on tour with guitarists Paul Naumann and Jimmy Calvert, both of New Jersey, and New York drummer Joe Grotsky so that they could remain behind in the studio tending to their jobs as writers and producers. It is a remarkable year for Peter and Vini as, in addition to the smash hit and tours, they also experience one of their proudest moments in the business: an Elvis Presley cut. Elvis chose their “Harem Holiday” as the theme song to his latest movie, “Harum Scarum”. Elvis even consulted them on the demo via telephone as the fatherly Pomus listened in.

650200_Harem Holiday sheet music.jpg
Elvis Presley "Harem Holiday" sheet music

630701_EP Music advance.JPG
Peter's advance check for writing the theme song for "Harum Scarum"

Peter Anders site.JPG
http://peteranders.net/timeline/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:56 am

It is a catchy tune.

Thank you for sharing that information. This topic should have all relevant Harum documentation.

To celebrate the Thanksgiving joys of Harum Scarum, I played an original stereo vinyl the other day.

His vocal is mixed WAY too up front in relation to the music. Sure wish I had a mono pressing for comparison purposes.

There is one noteworthy aspect to the movie: it's obvious on every take and multiple angle that Elvis is not just lip-syncing to the pre-recorded vocal. He's singing live on the set.

Of course, none of this would have been recorded but it does demonstrate a certain devotion to his craft.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:06 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It is a catchy tune.

Thank you for sharing that information. This topic should have all relevant Harum documentation.

To celebrate the Thanksgiving joys of Harum Scarum, I played an original stereo vinyl the other day.

His vocal is mixed WAY too up front in relation to the music. Sure wish I had a mono pressing for comparison purposes.

There is one noteworthy aspect to the movie: it's obvious on every take and multiple angle that Elvis is not just lip-syncing to the pre-recorded vocal. He's singing live on the set.

Of course, none of this would have been recorded but it does demonstrate a certain devotion to his craft.

If I find some MONO uploads of the soundtrack I'll post them.

Here is an interesting mix of "Wisdom of the Ages" I just found:

phpBB [video]

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:13 am

No disrespect toward that performer, but can we please focus on the Elvis recordings in this thread?

Thank you.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:16 am

No disrespect towards the topic, but you can clearly hear Elvis singing on that YouTube clip with his friend, Danny.

(Hint: try a smile?) ;-)

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:19 am

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize "Danny" and Elvis were friends.

By all means, please share some of Danny's other Harum Scarum treasures for all of us to enjoy.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:21 am

Sigh
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:25 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Oh, my bad. I didn't realize "Danny" and Elvis were friends.

By all means, please share some of Danny's other Harum Scarum treasures for all of us to enjoy.

I defer to the wisdom of Elvis himselvis: Once Is Enough.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Doc's comment; "That said, I have been singing "Harem Holiday" around the house all week. A small triumph for Peter Anders (Andreoli), Vince Poncia Jr. and Jimmie Crane, one might say"

The mind boggles :wink:

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:That said, I have been singing "Harem Holiday" around the house all week. A small triumph for Peter Anders (Andreoli), Vince Poncia Jr. and Jimmie Crane, one might say.

Thanks for the Ronettes connection, and I guess it's every man's dream to have a harem holiday :mrgreen:

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 am

Chris Roberts wrote:Doc's comment; "That said, I have been singing "Harem Holiday" around the house all week. A small triumph for Peter Anders (Andreoli), Vince Poncia Jr. and Jimmie Crane, one might say"

The title song is in my head a lot. Quite often I sing a few lines to myself.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:24 pm

L Ray wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:Doc's comment; "That said, I have been singing "Harem Holiday" around the house all week. A small triumph for Peter Anders (Andreoli), Vince Poncia Jr. and Jimmie Crane, one might say"

The title song is in my head a lot. Quite often I sing a few lines to myself.

I'm always humming My Desert Seranade myself :!: Maybe this album will become a cult classic 8)

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Jove wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:That said, I have been singing "Harem Holiday" around the house all week. A small triumph for Peter Anders (Andreoli), Vince Poncia Jr. and Jimmie Crane, one might say.

Thanks for the Ronettes connection, and I guess it's every man's dream to have a harem holiday :mrgreen:

It was something I just stumbled upon, but is indeed fascinating.

Ironically, the Ronettes tune is one of their finest. And to have a "Harem Holiday" with those lovely ladies would have been a dream come true.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Pete writes a theme song for an Elvis movie and his advance is 5 bucks?

I know it was nearly 50 years ago, but what would that be now? $200?

I know these movies were made on the cheap, but that seems a tad tight even for the Colonel.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 am

Sorry for the delay, I still haven't been able to scan the new images.

In the meantime, here's the original U.S. color still set and an alternate Japanese poster. Is that shot from VIVA LAS VEGAS?
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 am

Great stuff! Sure looks like a VLV shot to my eyes.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 am

mick967 wrote:Pete writes a theme song for an Elvis movie and his advance is 5 bucks?

I know it was nearly 50 years ago, but what would that be now? $200?

I know these movies were made on the cheap, but that seems a tad tight even for the Colonel.

Better than the deals Morris Levy would make. "Give me the song or I'll shoot you in the head."

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jove wrote:

It was something I just stumbled upon, but is indeed fascinating.

Ironically, the Ronettes tune is one of their finest. And to have a "Harem Holiday" with those lovely ladies would have been a dream come true.

Boy you sure beat me to that one!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:11 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Sorry for the delay, I still haven't been able to scan the new images.

In the meantime, from Bruce Hersenson's site, here's the original U.S. color still set and an alternate Japanese poster. Is that shot from VIVA LAS VEGAS?

looks like it yes, but i think its actually a shot from harem holiday, elvis face seems diffrent then how it was in VLV

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 pm

If these images are from HARUM, then there was another set of AD photos that have not yet been documented in this wonderful thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73229
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:57 am

I always liked the soundracks. Elvis sings well on it. Of course , his voice was too dry in the mix of 1965 Lp. it was corrected years later on the Double Features release. Too bad FTD didn't keep the mix of the Double Feature when they up-dated it on the Classic and Complete Master. A liitle bit of echoe on Elvis's voice would have been perfect.