Off Topic Messages

Charlie is my darling

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:42 pm

A very interesting documentary film about The Rolling Stones' 1965 tour of Ireland.
All Elvis fans who think Elvis should have toured Europe should watch this. Their first concert ends during the 3rd song because the audience rushes on stage and pull over the musicians.
In the hotelroom The Rolling Stones jam and do some Elvis songs like Santa bring my baby back to me, Blueberry Hill & That's when your heartaches begin.
The documentary gives a nice insight in a band on tour.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:07 pm

This is being shown on the UK's Channel 5 tonight (Sunday) at 11pm.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 am

Shouldn't that be Santa Claus Is Back In Town ! I remember seeing B&W footage of Jagger singing that when I was a kid !

Re: Charlie is my darling

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 am

It's being shown on BBC2 tonight, not Channel 5.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 am

Shame they had to make the prices of the shows they are doing at the O2 arena, so ridiculously high.

Total rip off to their fans.

All of them are multi-millionaires and should be ashamed of themselves.

A few years ago, Prince did about 20 shows at the 02 arena and all of the tickets were about $50.00 each.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:26 am

The price of tickets is a question of supply and demand.
In the documentary you can see that people could not buy tickets for the sold-out shows in 1965.
So when tickets sell fast, why not increase the price? That's economics!
If you can make $100 at a job why work for $10?

Re: Charlie is my darling

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:33 am

zolderopruiming1 wrote:The price of tickets is a question of supply and demand.
In the documentary you can see that people could not buy tickets for the sold-out shows in 1965.
So when tickets sell fast, why not increase the price? That's economics!
If you can make $100 at a job why work for $10?



Ethics?

And a thank you for 50 years of huge incomes.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:47 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:The price of tickets is a question of supply and demand.
In the documentary you can see that people could not buy tickets for the sold-out shows in 1965.
So when tickets sell fast, why not increase the price? That's economics!
If you can make $100 at a job why work for $10?



Ethics?

And a thank you for 50 years of huge incomes.


Why should they?
EPE isn't going to thank us for Elvis' and their high income during the past 56 years by reducing the price of the ducks.
Nor is RCA or whatever they are called these days going to thank us for their high income on Elvis' discs.
Not even FTD is going to thank us by releasing a CD with all new outtakes. If we want 3 outtakes, we have to pay top price and accept the previously releases stuff.
Luckily we can choose to buy the product.....or not.
Same with concert tickets for The Rollator Stones.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:49 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:The price of tickets is a question of supply and demand.
In the documentary you can see that people could not buy tickets for the sold-out shows in 1965.
So when tickets sell fast, why not increase the price? That's economics!
If you can make $100 at a job why work for $10?



Ethics?

And a thank you for 50 years of huge incomes.


Why should they?
EPE isn't going to thank us for Elvis' and their high income during the past 56 years by reducing the price of the ducks.
Nor is RCA or whatever they are called these days going to thank us for their high income on Elvis' discs.
Not even FTD is going to thank us by releasing a CD with all new outtakes. If we want 3 outtakes, we have to pay top price and accept the previously releases stuff.
Luckily we can choose to buy the product.....or not.
Same with concert tickets for The Rollator Stones.


No one is talking that the Stones should have reduced their tickets for the 02 Arena shows but to have made them affordable to their fans, not rip their loyal fans off which they have done.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:04 am

It's funny because in 1969 the Stones were lambasted in the rock press for charging $8 a ticket, equivalent to about $35 today which would be a great bargain price for a major ticket today. The price of even tickets for all events, sports, music etc. is outrageous and eventually could lead to the destruction of the industry as Broadway is starting to see. The only people who can go to Broadway shows are those who are well heeled, and very often those people are older fans who are already into the experience. Younger people with a love of live theater will just never get into the habit, despite the lotteries a lot of theaters of a handful of $20 tickets. But who wants to sit around night after night on the chance that maybe you'll get in? It also kills the smaller acts because when you pay $100, $200, even $300 say for Madonna, you don't have anything left to see anyone else unless you're very well heeled.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:36 pm

I love the Brian Jones era Stones. They weren't posing like later.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:28 pm

intheghetto wrote:
likethebike wrote:It's funny because in 1969 the Stones were lambasted in the rock press for charging $8 a ticket, equivalent to about $35 today which would be a great bargain price for a major ticket today. The price of even tickets for all events, sports, music etc. is outrageous and eventually could lead to the destruction of the industry as Broadway is starting to see. The only people who can go to Broadway shows are those who are well heeled, and very often those people are older fans who are already into the experience. Younger people with a love of live theater will just never get into the habit, despite the lotteries a lot of theaters of a handful of $20 tickets. But who wants to sit around night after night on the chance that maybe you'll get in? It also kills the smaller acts because when you pay $100, $200, even $300 say for Madonna, you don't have anything left to see anyone else unless you're very well heeled.


The prices have been absolutely insane for the last 15-20 years you would think people in the business would wake up to reality. The cost for shows is so high you can't even get near them. I think I have seen some prices come down, but not enough. You still pay around 100 and change to get fairly decent seats like I did last week for Bob Dylan. Still it was alot.

I remember seeing big draws thirty years ago for under $20. When I saw Van Halen back in '81 when they were arguably the biggest band on the planet I think I paid $15 for a ticket and they weren't nose bleeds. Adjusted for 2012 inflation that would be around $36 dollars. An act today who are as big now as Van Halen were then, $36 won't even get you a t-shirt.


That would be the gig with Knopfler. How was it? I saw them both last year, Knopfler was good but Dylan was pretty bad. His voice was terrible and the volume was far too loud. Knopfler hasn't been playing any Dire Straits songs on these tours apart from one minor song. Strange.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 am

I am not defending the Stones' ticket price, but if J. Lo!s Dance Again World tour here in Manila charges $615 For Vip And the cheapest at $61, then I don't have a problem with Stones admission prices.

Re: Charlie is my darling

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:12 am

Oh, there was an uproar, once. You may remember it. It was called "The Victory Tour," and ticket prices were $30. The media, including the rock press, went into a frenzy. They brought out the torches and pitchforks, literally. Now, when a group overcharges, almost no one complains in the press - particularly for big, wealthy, old acts. The four-ticket system was intended to thwart scalpers, but nobody bought that. I think it was true, because I went to concerts back then, and scalping was an even worse thing than today: you would see REAL wiseguys get all the good seats first, after spending two days waiting on ticket lines, getting the bracelets, returning the next morning (sometimes in the freezing cold, and waiting hours), and no matter how far in front you were, these burley men, who were what they were, just walked on in, and collected the best seats. Which then were sold at outrageous prices. Sometimes, you didn't even get a seat when buy "tickets" from these sources.

But when someone came up with an idea to try to control, the Wrath of the Rock Gods descended up them, or rather, on one person.

But back then, they wanted a head on a platter. So he gave it to them. He not only gave away the money, but covered all the many associated lawsuits. The chief promoter had a heart attack.

(Jump to 3:15. I have it on tape, and will upload as soon as I can, with just the press conference. I hope my quality level is decent.)

phpBB [video]



rjm

Re: Charlie is my darling

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 am

I really enjoyed this film. It was nice seeing the interaction backstage between Jagger and Richards at a time when they still really got a kick out of hanging out together. The live footage is also fantastic.