Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden - Legacy Edit

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:31 am

Robert wrote:We also have the Venus mix. Could that be the 'original'?

That release is outside the scope of Matthew's research.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:56 am

Diverting slightly; has any info ever come to light regarding the previously unreleased afternoon performance and mix of I Can't Stop Loving You, that debuted on the 1977 compilation album Welcome To My World?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:58 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Diverting slightly; has any info ever come to light regarding the previously unreleased afternoon performance and mix of I Can't Stop Loving You, that debuted on the 1977 compilation album Welcome To My World?

Joan Deary knows more.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:A separate thread not to discuss Prince From Another Planet but rather the Madison Square Garden 2CD Legacy Edition, which features the 1972 mix of the evening show and the 1997 mix of the afternoon show. What are your thoughts on the package and audio content, in particular - how does the 1997 mix sound in its Anesini remastered form over its Ferrante mastered form from the 90s?

Do you have it?

No, not yet.

I look forward to your always-worthwhile observations.

Moving on I genuinely am looking forward to your comments!
I won't be getting the Legacy Edition unless there is a big improvement although I always preferred the open sound of Vic Anesini's Afternoon mix over the rushed mess of the original version.

Cheers
Piers

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:36 am

Well said, as usual, Piers. However, I'm enough of a MSG fan (and a New Yorker) to welcome
the Legacy Edition option, although from an outsider perspective it's extremely obsessive!

You must admit this is a rare mainstream label triumph and embarassment of riches. I only wish some effort had gone into making such projects a go ten years ago before so much of the retail market for CD evaporated. In any event, I'm loving that 2012 has been such a bonanza for Elvis fans!

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 am

I will order the Legacy Edition and advise my thoughts.

Piers, Vic Anesini has not mixed any of the MSG material, only mastered it. Dennis Ferrante mixed and mastered the 1997 CD of the afternoon show.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Diverting slightly; has any info ever come to light regarding the previously unreleased afternoon performance and mix of I Can't Stop Loving You, that debuted on the 1977 compilation album Welcome To My World?

Joan Deary knows more.

She probably knew..... but not anymore.

Regarding topic:
My copy arrived from amazon.co.uk today :)

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Not really, but could that mix and the Venus AS release be identical?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:07 am

Robert wrote:

Not really, but could that mix and the Venus AS release be identical?

No, I checked that already and they're distinct alternative mixes.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:45 am

Matthew wrote:I will order the Legacy Edition and advise my thoughts.
Piers, Vic Anesini has not mixed any of the MSG material, only mastered it. Dennis Ferrante mixed and mastered the 1997 CD of the afternoon show.

I totally understand that.
Anesini's remaster of the original MSG release made a HUGE difference to the original CD sound.
Was one of the best things about the Complete Elvis Masters.

Cheers, Piers

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:46 pm

I received my Legacy Edition of Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden a few days ago. In brief:

Disc 1 - Vic Anesini remaster of the evening show, original 1972 album mix: tonally identical to Complete Masters but seems to be a different transfer. Audience fade out of side A, and fade in of side B have been cross-faded, as noted.
Disc 2 - Vic Anesini (supposedly*) remaster of the afternoon show, 1997 album mix. Identical to the 1997 An Afternoon In The Garden release.
Packaging - Standard Legacy Edition digipak. The booklets essay is simply image scans of the Prince From Another Planet newspaper article from 1972 - which actually works quite well for liner notes. A brief forward from Ernst and Roger proceeds it. The original album artwork actually lends itself quite nicely to the digipak dimensions - and to this fan is a much superior cover than that put together for Prince From Another Planet.

Overall - a worthwhile purchase for those who do not have the Anesini remaster of the original 1972 album mix of the evening show in their possession (via Complete Masters/Franklin Mint). If you do have one of those releases, and already have the old An Afternoon In The Garden CD then from an audio perspective this offers nothing new.

*Though Vic Anesini is credited as the general mastering engineer for this release (Mastered by Vic Anesini), the credits for disc two under "original album credits" mention Mixed and Mastered by Dennis Ferrante. Though ambiguous my opinion is that the 1997 CD is merely reproduced on disc 2 here. Any audio differences - if there are any - are not noticeable. Despite this, An Afternoon In The Garden was one of Ferrante's better efforts.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:42 am

Do you guys think that Elvis' vocals on "An Afternoon At The Garden" seem kind of low?