Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Do you have the Vic Anesini remaster of 1972's Madison Square Garden?

Yes, I have the Franklin Mint set, Complete Masters, or the new Legacy Edition.
74%
No, I only have the old early 90s BMG CD and/or other earlier CD version.
26%

Total votes : 57

Do you have Vic Anesini's remaster of Madison Square Garden?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:47 am

This is in relation to Prince From Another Planet and those comparing the new mix to the vintage mix - what vintage mix source are you comparing to? In my opinion the only comparison should be made between Vic Anesini's remaster of the 1972 mix (available on Franklin Mint, Complete Masters, and the new Legacy Edition), and the new Prince mix/master. I am wondering if everyone who is stating how much better the new mix is have actually heard the Anesini remaster of the vintage mix, or if they are launching their opinion from the terrible early 90s BMG CD of Madison Square Garden.

Re: Do you have Vic Anesini's remaster of Madison Square Gar

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:29 am

What about comparing a quality digital copy of the original 1972 reel-to-reel release?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:04 am

I have the Legacy Edition as well as the Japanese CD and the new release of PFAP still sounds like an improvement to my ears. I rarely ever listened the the MSG shows but now I can't get that evening show out of my cd player...

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:What about comparing a quality digital copy of the original 1972 reel-to-reel release?

Is this your go-to source for the original mix? If so, why?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:57 am

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:What about comparing a quality digital copy of the original 1972 reel-to-reel release?

Is this your go-to source for the original mix? If so, why?

No, but I know people who use these reels for vintage reference purposes.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:54 am

I have the Franklin set and the Prince version is the best. I still like the Franklin remaster but this new version is on fire.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:No, but I know people who use these reels for vintage reference purposes.

The even playing field here for digital is Vic Anesini's peerless remaster of the 1972 mix against his master of the new 2012 mix, hence this thread query because if the platform for many is the old dull sounding early 90s BMG CD (which most probably own) then the new mix/master is going to sound better almost by default.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:18 am

edited:
Last edited by promiseland on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:31 am

I've had them all, the 90's cd, Afternoon, Japanese Paper Sleeve, Franklin Mint, CM, Operation - I think that covers it.

You don't need any of the previous releases anymore except for nostalgia purposes IMO - PFAP is the defacto release, end of story. I can't stop playing it, just like I did when I bought the MSG LP when I was 10 years old.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:44 am

promiseland wrote:I have the CMB and the early 90's BMG releases I just cannot fathom how people on this forum claim any of these old releases can stand up against the new PFAP??

It's obviously one of two issues, either those claiming this - does not own Prince From Another Planet, or these people just thrive on something to bitch about constantly.

I own them all and Prince From Another Planet is the best possible source since 1972 period.
I'm through wasting my time discussing something as ignorant as this.

Your attitude towards my opinion of the Anesini remaster of the 1972 mix stinks. It is current and it is excellent and I'm entitled to hold it in the high regard it deserves. The old 90s CD doesn't hold a candle to it and the new mix certainly does not piss all over it.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:14 am

edited:
Last edited by promiseland on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:55 am

Those with nothing to contribute certainly have loud voices. Odd.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:18 am

edited:
Last edited by promiseland on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:47 am

Ignorance. You know he mastered PFAP right? Stop acting the moron.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:19 am

edited:
Last edited by promiseland on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:19 am

I have the early 90's, Complete Masters box and the PFAP deluxe and i am most satisfied with the complete masters, the mix from PFAP i think is not realistic the orchestra on Trilogy for example is almost completely mixed to the center, they should be on the complete spectrum, there is not much bass in the mix, on For The Good Times i notice none, positieve part is That i never heard Charly Hodge as clear as on this set :D, and the drums sounds great.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:08 am

MSG has always been a favorite album if mine. I wore the vinyl out. Then had to use the poor 90's cd before upgrading to the Japanese version and finally TCM. I think Vic did a good job with the mix he had to work with. As Matthew has pointed out the remaster is more dynamic than Prince. But I to cant stop playing the new version. As I have said elsewhere I think it captures the occasions better, its exciting as I am sure the concert was and the vocals sound better to me than on any other version. I feel like I am experiencing it again that first time I unwrapped the vinyl Xmas morning 73 and put it on the family gramaphone ! Thankfully my hifi is better now than that piece of furniture!

intend to revisit TCM this weekend just to refresh my memory.

Cheers Jamie

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:23 am

My apologies to you Matthew and respects to your opinions on your topic here.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:25 am

Thank you.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 pm

I have TCM and PFAP and I just love PFAP...I haven't played a CD this much in years. I didn't play the MSG show from TCM over and over again. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, I just love the sound on both shows on PFAP 8)

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:28 pm

i know i enjoyed the RE/S again today and hearing every breath on songs like Never Been to Spain made me appreciate the performance in a new way-brilliant!~ 8)

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:44 pm

The "do you have" poll doesn't say that much.
Shouldn't we start a poll around who's preferring what?

So many different opinions I start to wonder what the general thought is...

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Robert wrote:The "do you have" poll doesn't say that much.

It says a lot actually - it says that many do not have the optimum digital mastering of the 1972 mix to compare the 2012 mix to.
Robert wrote:Shouldn't we start a poll around who's preferring what?

That's not the purpose of this poll.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Matthew wrote:
Robert wrote:The "do you have" poll doesn't say that much.

It says a lot actually - it says that many do not have the optimum digital mastering of the 1972 mix to compare the 2012 mix to.

Fair point - I have voted no accordingly.

Both polls are potentially interesting, thanks to both you and Robert for the idea.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:39 pm

I have the 90s releases as well as the vinyl and TCM. All of these cannot compete or do not even come close to the superiority of the new mixes on PFAP. There are lightyears in between.