Post here your Elvis' pictures

Mad Tiger by Sean Shaver

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Can someone please help identify this gig for me?
I believe it may be South Bend, Indiana Sep 30th, 1974, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks,
Andy :smt006
Mad Tiger_by_Shaver.jpg

Mad Tiger_by_Shaver (2).jpg

Mad Tiger_by_Shaver (3).jpg

Mad Tiger_by_Shaver (4).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Mad Tiger by Sean Shaver

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Polk Salad Andy wrote:Can someone please help identify this gig for me?
I believe it may be South Bend, Indiana Sep 30th, 1974, but please correct me if I am wrong.
The correct date is in fact Indianapolis Oct 5, the matinee show (you can vaguely see the band wearing white in the background). South Bend photos continue to elude me...here's one of Shaver's from Oct 5 in color...
scan0034.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:45 pm

wow great pics, my favorite

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Great pics, thank you.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:45 pm

beautiful pictures Polk Salad Andy And Scott Hayward -
- Lov em all - ty for sharing
::rocks
-

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 pm

"Was that really Elvis Presley at the Expo Center?"
(The Indianapolis Star (October 7, 1974)

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Many thanks,
Andy :smt006
Mad Tiger_by_Shaver (4).jpg

Vegas ? - Judy Palmer Bendewald "My Treasured Memories of Elvis" p.80

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:24 am

Scott Hayward wrote:
The correct date is in fact Indianapolis Oct 5, the matinee show (you can vaguely see the band wearing white in the background). South Bend photos continue to elude me...here's one of Shaver's from Oct 5 in color...
scan0034.jpg

Indeed they do. That's why I was hoping they were from South Bend :mrgreen:

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:48 am

Here are some From South Bend Indianapolis In '74
Enjoy
He seems to be wearing The Mad Tiger Suit -

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:32 am

karlos wrote:Here are some From South Bend Indianapolis In '74
Enjoy

Thanks karlos, although I believe that first two are from Indianapolis Oct 5th?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:54 am

Scott Hayward wrote:The correct date is in fact Indianapolis Oct 5, the matinee show (you can vaguely see the band wearing white in the background). South Bend photos continue to elude me...here's one of Shaver's from Oct 5 in color...
741005_AS_ Indianapolis.JPG

Elvisgirl wrote:wow great pics, my favorite

Photos of an clearly medicated Elvis Presley are your favorite?

Of the hundreds of thousands of Presley tour photos in existence, those taken on the September-October 1974 trek are unique in that they frequently show a man with his eyes half-shut. The above is but one example. He looks both distant and very angry. They are deeply disturbing. And the recordings from this tour also bear this out. He is NOT well.

It boggles my mind there are some fans who enjoy these photos.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:18 am

karlos wrote:Here are some From South Bend Indianapolis In '74
Enjoy

I like these pics, they are very nice :smt023

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:58 pm

The tour was certainly up and down. There were no "show stoppers" in any of the setlists, they weren't challenging shows, and for sure, in some cases, especially the matinee shows, he looks terrible, as in the example Doc emphasises. He looks awful there, and we know all about College Park. The claims in Jerry Hopkins book "he'd put on so much weight the boys in the band had trouble recognising him" have no foundation, he's no bigger than the last few shows in Vegas, but his eyes look terrible. The backstage photos from College Park with the police officers tell you everything you need to know.

That said, for some of the shows, he didn't look all bad, but doc is right - this is a troubled Elvis would wouldn't work again for 5 months after this tour. He did look better for some of the other shows than this one though...

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:25 pm

DarrylMac wrote:The tour was certainly up and down. There were no "show stoppers" in any of the setlists, they weren't challenging shows, and for sure, in some cases, especially the matinee shows, he looks terrible, as in the example Doc emphasises. He looks awful there, and we know all about College Park. The claims in Jerry Hopkins book "he'd put on so much weight the boys in the band had trouble recognising him" have no foundation, he's no bigger than the last few shows in Vegas, but his eyes look terrible. The backstage photos from College Park with the police officers tell you everything you need to know.

That said, for some of the shows, he didn't look all bad, but doc is right - this is a troubled Elvis would wouldn't work again for 5 months after this tour. He did look better for some of the other shows than this one though...

those pics are soooooooo awesome

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:45 am

Doc and DarrylMac are right, this was not a good tour for Elvis. He looked rough in many photos from this tour. In others he looked okay...but no more than okay.

From - http://www.elvisconcerts.com/index.html
September 28, 1974. Baltimore, MD
October 5, 1974 (8:30 pm) Indianapolis, IN

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:02 am

not "The Eyes Of The Tiger" :(

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:06 am

paulsweeney wrote:Doc and DarrylMac are right, this was not a good tour for Elvis. He looked rough in many photos from this tour. In others he looked okay...but no more than okay.

From - http://www.elvisconcerts.com/index.html
September 28, 1974. Baltimore, MD
October 5, 1974 (8:30 pm) Indianapolis, IN

such nice pics :smt023

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:07 am

steevefry wrote:not "The Eyes Of The Tiger" :(

WOW now that's amazing!!! truly stunning and awesome photo, and very well made. I just love that with the tiger in the background, and many pictures with this awesome js, which is my favorite. I like it very very much :smt023

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:04 am

DarrylMac wrote:The tour was certainly up and down. There were no "show stoppers" in any of the setlists, they weren't challenging shows, and for sure, in some cases, especially the matinee shows, he looks terrible, as in the example Doc emphasises. He looks awful there, and we know all about College Park. The claims in Jerry Hopkins book "he'd put on so much weight the boys in the band had trouble recognising him" have no foundation, he's no bigger than the last few shows in Vegas, but his eyes look terrible. The backstage photos from College Park with the police officers tell you everything you need to know.

The claims do have a foundation.

As in his first Presley biography, Hopkins regretfully made the mistake of conflating testimony. In your example it is Elvis' unwell appearance on the September-October 1974 tour being mixed with how he looked at the beginning of the February 1977 tour.

The way he appears in Hollywood, Florida on February 12, 1977 is beyond belief. It is a horrific sight, he does not even look like himself he is so bloated. That management went on booking shows like it was 1970 will always go down as a ignoble, despicable act.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

As in his first Presley biography, Hopkins regretfully made the mistake of conflating testimony. In your example it is Elvis' unwell appearance on the September-October 1974 tour being mixed with how he looked at the beginning of the February 1977 tour.

The way he appears in Hollywood, Florida on February 12, 1977 is beyond belief. It is a horrific sight, he does not even look like himself he is so bloated. That management went on booking shows like it was 1970 will always go down as a ignoble, despicable act.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Doc. Why did nobody do anything about it? It's obvious the guy needed a rest from the hectic tour schedules. I was told by a fellow fan a while back that they had contingency plans just in case Elvis died while he was on tour, Is this true? If so, It's absolutely abhorrent.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:05 am

Polk Salad Andy wrote:I agree with you wholeheartedly, Doc. Why did nobody do anything about it? It's obvious the guy needed a rest from the hectic tour schedules. I was told by a fellow fan a while back that they had contingency plans just in case Elvis died while he was on tour, Is this true? If so, It's absolutely abhorrent.

This was apparently discussed by Elvis' security team (Dick Grob, Sam Thompson) as 1977 progressed. It was written about in 1991.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:36 am

Polk Salad Andy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Doc. Why did nobody do anything about it? It's obvious the guy needed a rest from the hectic tour schedules. I was told by a fellow fan a while back that they had contingency plans just in case Elvis died while he was on tour, Is this true? If so, It's absolutely abhorrent.

While the situation was appalling, the comments here are written as if they are of a circus animal or something. While management shouldn't have been booking Elvis in this condition - Elvis had a tongue in his head and should have taken charge of the situation by saying "no". It's easy to blame everyone except Elvis, but the real truth here is that his apathy was as much to blame here.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:52 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

While the situation was appalling, the comments here are written as if they are of a circus animal or something. While management shouldn't have been booking Elvis in this condition - Elvis had a tongue in his head and should have taken charge of the situation by saying "no". It's easy to blame everyone except Elvis, but the real truth here is that his apathy was as much to blame here.

Having contractual obligations, and financial burdens, I don't think it would have been that easy to just say "no". Living like an Oil Sheik and having a multitude of paid friends kept Elvis like a race car in the red, with virtually no way out, besides August 16th 1977 .

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Having contractual obligations, and financial burdens, I don't think it would have been that easy to just say "no". Living like an Oil Sheik and having a multitude of paid friends kept Elvis like a race car in the red, with virtually no way out, besides August 16th 1977 .

Agreed - Elvis couldn't afford to stop working, as there were no savings to fall back on, dwindling royalties etc - the tour revenues were the only thing keeping afloat. Now, you can push some of the blame back on the astonishing agreement between Elvis and Col Parker giving a huge percentage to the Colonel, but even modest investments made years earlier by Elvis would have kept him financially secure for the rest of his days.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Footage from the show Dr. John talked about. I agree this is the only day elvis looked at his worst.
But he seems to have alot of fun with this

phpBB [video]