Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:54 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I would be more concerned as to how I found myself with a wife.


I can not help but find this the funniest reply I have read in months!

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:58 pm

I tried not to laugh, but couldn't help it.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Blimey, you lot are easily pleased!

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:03 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Robert wrote:Are you the guy that if your wife is standing in front of you wearing lingerie, all you can say is:
"nice try but you looked better 10 years ago"


I would be more concerned as to how I found myself with a wife.




I'd be even more concerned as to how I managed to stay alive all these years while still being married to a wife.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:18 pm

CD cover for "Chicago Double Strike" for those interested....................................

Image

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:24 pm

I definitely admire their artwork.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Here's somebody who just loves to sing.But he's unable at the end of his life to force himself into the recording studio—the fear of completion, fear of exposing your untrammeled idea to execution. What a terrible thing to lose that ability, that faith in yourself. (Peter Guralnick)
When and why did Elvis start to lose faith? I would probably pinpoint the fall of 1975 after which he was never the energetic performer we last witnessed during the 1975 July tour. And what do you do when you start losing faith in what you do? You play it safe, you avoid any risks, you stick to what you know you can do. And probably feel a lot anxiety and depression because of it.

So you get out there, do show after show, afraid to try anything new for fear it would not come out as you wish and even hear in your head. You do the same show over and over, because that worked yesterday and most likely it will work today...

So enter Elvis into Chicago 1977: the day before the show was...well, not good by all accounts. Maybe because of a flu, boredom, depression or a combination of all (and never forget whatever drugs were involved). But for some reason he feels good about himself in one of these two shows. Not good enough to do any major changes, but good enough to put some extra effort into what he does and even have fun by doing a backflip...and a fan, who has seen or heard many dismal performances from this, his final year on earth, feels a smile creeping to the corners of his mouth: there were some nights he did at least feel good about himself.
chicago.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Yes their were several 'good' performances on that April/May 77' tour Ann Arbour,Chicago 2nd May.(Larry Geller enthuses about this performance in his first book!)...and although a 'strange' performance Saginaw 3rd May was better than 25th April too. Rest of shows were average or below average for the time which is quite sad.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:27 am

YDKM wrote:Dr..I (think) the title 'double strike' may mean Elvis 'hits' Chicago TWICE in 2 days.... i suppose same could be said for 14th +15th Oct 76' shows too. i would presume its difficult thinking of CD titles these days? :?

Evidently so.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:18 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
hm80ep wrote:
Robert wrote:I have no time to post the artwork but the NY cover is dynamite!


Is it? To me Elvis looks more like the photo was taken in 1976 not '72. It seems the suit isn't the one worn on June 9. Take a look:

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/s72060901.jpg


thats because the picture is taken during suspicious minds during the afternoon show of June 10 1972

Correct. Here's a shot from Friday, June 9, 1972:


720609_New York.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
hm80ep wrote:
Robert wrote:I have no time to post the artwork but the NY cover is dynamite!


Is it? To me Elvis looks more like the photo was taken in 1976 not '72. It seems the suit isn't the one worn on June 9. Take a look:

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/pictures/s72060901.jpg


thats because the picture is taken during suspicious minds during the afternoon show of June 10 1972

Correct. Here's a shot from Friday, June 9, 1972:


720609_New York.jpg


here to from the prince from another planet set
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:03 am

I have the NYC '72 show on preorder i hope the sound is good!

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:09 am

June 9, but not the superior June 11 show? (Shakes head, walks away)

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:27 am

fg76 wrote:June 9, but not the superior June 11 show? (Shakes head, walks away)

The June 9 show sounds better in the shower.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 am

For 1977 these were good shows. The June 9th one is a classic though in a whole other world.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The June 9 show sounds better in the shower.



With or without Rob ?

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:41 am

yes June 9th show was 'good' so was June 11th,,,but i always felt it the weakest of the 4 New York shows, but that might just be because the other 3 shows were all so great~! :lol:

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
fg76 wrote:June 9, but not the superior June 11 show? (Shakes head, walks away)

The June 9 show sounds better in the shower.


Best shower material are the 1976 setlists though...

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:08 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The June 9 show sounds better in the shower.



With or without Rob ?

Oh, come on, it's always better with Rob. Just ask him.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:55 am

I don't get audience recordings very often these days, but I will be getting these two

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:17 pm

paulsweeney wrote:I don't get audience recordings very often these days, but I will be getting these two


The way they are hyping the MSG show, I will get it, but will be disappointed if it's yet another virtually unlistenable recording.

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Tony.. wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:I don't get audience recordings very often these days, but I will be getting these two


The way they are hyping the MSG show, I will get it, but will be disappointed if it's yet another virtually unlistenable recording.


Let's see, SA usually stands for quality so I hope it's good.
There are good audience recordings, even from this period (Long Beach '72 just to name one) so it is possible..

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Tony.. wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:I don't get audience recordings very often these days, but I will be getting these two


The way they are hyping the MSG show, I will get it, but will be disappointed if it's yet another virtually unlistenable recording.


but Tony don't you say this comment 90% of the time?? :roll:

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:30 am

No, only 89%. 8)
I USUALLY say that I'm NOT going to buy any more poor sounding audience recordings of substandard shows with the same old set lists. However, if this one IS good sound quality and we KNOW it's a good performance, then it will be worth obtaining. :wink:

Re: Chicago Double-Strike & Left A Good Job In The City- SA.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:thats because the picture is taken during suspicious minds during the afternoon show of June 10 1972

Correct.

I'm no jumpsuit junkie, but Elvis wore a blue suit during the afternoon show of June 10, 1972. Is this a case of colour manipulation for the cover of Left A Good Job In The City? I'm not seeing the blue on that small artwork image that has been posted.