Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:49 am

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you for advice on the following matter.

My mother used to love Elvis in the Sixties. Life got her away from him, but now she wants to listen to his music again. As she doesn't own anything of him in digital form, I want to give her a new starting point. But I don't know much about Elvis, I don't find any reasonably priced "complete" set, and I'm still lost in that huge discography. So here's my question: what would you buy for my mother on CD (and maybe DVD)? All I know is that she prefers the younger Elvis to the "fatter" Elvis, but she loves songs of the 70s too, especially his cover song "My Way".

Thank you for any help!

Jean

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:03 am

"The "fatter" Elvis". Right.

Anyway, there is no one stop shop to cover all your needs. If she was mainly into 60s Elvis that you might get her: http://www.amazon.co.uk/From-Nashville- ... 855&sr=8-1

For a decent career overview then: http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-75-Good-Roc ... s=elvis+75

The second is probably better for a general listening experience as it covers (almost) all of the right bases.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:06 am

"The Perfect Elvis Presley collection". Twenty of the finest albums ever made. What more do you want for 30 quid? Available at the Amazon of your choice.
::rocks

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:14 am

I agree with Matthew that the 60's masters box set would suit her fine. Almost all of the great 60's hits are in there. And the repackage available today is a bargain.
To include some of the movie hits and outside the 60's hits the 75 box set is fine. Or E1 and E2! Or maybe The Essential collection which is around in a few different variations.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 am

Delboy wrote:"The Perfect Elvis Presley collection". Twenty of the finest albums ever made. What more do you want for 30 quid? Available at the Amazon of your choice.
::rocks


Yes, but most of the albums are from the later years, so probably not a good idea in this instance.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:36 am

Many thanks to all of you for your time and convincing answers! I'm not lost any more.

Matthew wrote:"The "fatter" Elvis". Right.


I was quoting my mother, of course. :) But I can't remember from which date she started to find him fat...

poormadpeter wrote:
Delboy wrote:"The Perfect Elvis Presley collection". Twenty of the finest albums ever made. What more do you want for 30 quid? Available at the Amazon of your choice.
::rocks


Yes, but most of the albums are from the later years, so probably not a good idea in this instance.


On the other hand, "The Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" includes at least one version of "My Way", a song she loves.

So I may opt for a combination of box sets. Is there any box set that could complete "The Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" better than the 4-CD "Elvis 75" or "From Nashville To Memphis: The Essential 60s Masters"?

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:50 am

arkpandora wrote:Many thanks to all of you for your time and convincing answers! I'm not lost any more.

Matthew wrote:"The "fatter" Elvis". Right.


I was quoting my mother, of course. :) But I can't remember from which date she started to find him fat...

poormadpeter wrote:
Delboy wrote:"The Perfect Elvis Presley collection". Twenty of the finest albums ever made. What more do you want for 30 quid? Available at the Amazon of your choice.
::rocks


Yes, but most of the albums are from the later years, so probably not a good idea in this instance.


On the other hand, "The Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" includes at least one version of "My Way", a song she loves.

So I may opt for a combination of box sets. Is there any box set that could complete "The Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" better than the 4-CD "Elvis 75" or "From Nashville To Memphis: The Essential 60s Masters"?


Personally I'd get the Perfect Elvis Collection with the reissue of the 50s boxed set "The King of Rock n Roll". It's only about 15 quid for the entire 50s masters, and there is relatively little duplication with the Perfect Elvis set.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:47 am

The thing about the Perfect Elvis Presley Collection is that you get the single disc of Good Times and From Elvis Presley Boulevard duplicated within Promised Land(minus Take Good Care Of Her and I've Got A Thing About You Baby) and Moody Blue. (The people making up such compilations hardly have an overview of what they are dealing with.) So it's not easy beeing an outsider looking into the Elvis world of releases.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:06 am

bajo wrote:The thing about the Perfect Elvis Presley Collection is that you get the single disc of Good Times and From Elvis Presley Boulevard duplicated within Promised Land(minus Take Good Care Of Her and I've Got A Thing About You Baby) and Moody Blue. (The people making up such compilations hardly have an overview of what they are dealing with.) So it's not easy beeing an outsider looking into the Elvis world of releases.


This is true and annoying. But there are still 20 albums there for approx £1.50 each, which can't be bad.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:23 am

arkpandora wrote:So I may opt for a combination of box sets. Is there any box set that could complete "The Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" better than the 4-CD "Elvis 75" or "From Nashville To Memphis: The Essential 60s Masters"?

Is your mother likely to want to plough through box-sets worth of Elvis material? I mean - just how interested in Elvis is she?

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:44 am

I would strongly suggest the following two album's which will be a smash with anyone's Mum.

Image Image

The FTD collectors labels are beautiful and can be bought here if you really want to treat here.

https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/inde ... ory_id=159

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:21 am

Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight is the way to go.
A career-spanning set with great sound... your mother will love it.

Image

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:29 am

Julian Grant wrote:I would strongly suggest the following two album's which will be a smash with anyone's Mum.

Image Image

The FTD collectors labels are beautiful and can be bought here if you really want to treat here.

https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/inde ... ory_id=159

As gifts for someone casually acquainted with Elvis' music the FTDs, as awesome as they are, are for the collectors. For Elvis Is Back!, the Legacy Edition would be a better recommendation for the casually interested.

This collection features My Way, though I'm uncertain which performance:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MZG69 ... -4&pi=SL75

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 am

I personally would recommend Elvis `56 to anyone, particularly fans of the younger Elvis.


arkpandora wrote:Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you for advice on the following matter.

My mother used to love Elvis in the Sixties. Life got her away from him, but now she wants to listen to his music again. As she doesn't own anything of him in digital form, I want to give her a new starting point. But I don't know much about Elvis, I don't find any reasonably priced "complete" set, and I'm still lost in that huge discography. So here's my question: what would you buy for my mother on CD (and maybe DVD)? All I know is that she prefers the younger Elvis to the "fatter" Elvis, but she loves songs of the 70s too, especially his cover song "My Way".

Thank you for any help!

Jean

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Matthew wrote:"The "fatter" Elvis". Right.

Anyway, there is no one stop shop to cover all your needs. If she was mainly into 60s Elvis that you might get her: http://www.amazon.co.uk/From-Nashville-To-Memphis-Essential/dp/B0041PIJOE

For a decent career overview then: http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-75-Good-Rockin-Tonight-Presley/dp/B002QVBP6O

The second is probably better for a general listening experience as it covers (almost) all of the right bases.

Matthew has nailed this one.

I highly endorse his suggestions, with Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight probably the one I would buy first, because of the superb audio quality and near-perfect selection of tracks covering the entire career.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:56 pm

I too can't imagine giving a casual fan like my mum, an FTD filled with takes, it would really piss them off surely? Only trouble with the Elvis 75: GRT is if the buyer is in the UK, it was pretty expensive here last time I looked. If it was going to cost more than £30 I'd recommend getting the King of Rock & Roll, From Nashville .. & Walk a Mile.. box sets instead, which in the UK cost under £40 for the lot (15 CDs total), and despite the slightly inferior sound still sound good enough I think.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Since you said that your mom used to be an Elvis fan in the past, I would buy this, because of the reproduction of the original paper sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Elvis-Pre ... B008B11RLQ

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm grateful to you for your helpful answers. I'm beginning to find my way. ;-)

Matthew wrote:Is your mother likely to want to plough through box-sets worth of Elvis material?


Yes she is, because she's a music lover, she's used to comparing performances in classical music, and she was a musician.

Matthew wrote:I mean - just how interested in Elvis is she?


However I'm not sure she's still as interested in Elvis as she was: that's why I don't want to spend too much in Elvis material to begin with. But quantity would not be a problem for her at all.

JimmyCool wrote:Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight is the way to go.
A career-spanning set with great sound... your mother will love it.


drjohncarpenter wrote:Matthew has nailed this one.

I highly endorse his suggestions, with Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight probably the one I would buy first, because of the superb audio quality and near-perfect selection of tracks covering the entire career.


Sound quality is an important point for her (and me) certainly: it's one of the tacit reasons why I needed your help.

Can you tell me if there is any significant difference of sound quality between the songs in "Elvis 75" and the same performances (or songs) in "Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" ("20 original albums")?

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 pm

arkpandora wrote:I'm grateful to you for your helpful answers. I'm beginning to find my way. ;-)

Matthew wrote:Is your mother likely to want to plough through box-sets worth of Elvis material?


Yes she is, because she's a music lover, she's used to comparing performances in classical music, and she was a musician.

Matthew wrote:I mean - just how interested in Elvis is she?


However I'm not sure she's still as interested in Elvis as she was: that's why I don't want to spend too much in Elvis material to begin with. But quantity would not be a problem for her at all.

JimmyCool wrote:Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight is the way to go.
A career-spanning set with great sound... your mother will love it.


drjohncarpenter wrote:Matthew has nailed this one.

I highly endorse his suggestions, with Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight probably the one I would buy first, because of the superb audio quality and near-perfect selection of tracks covering the entire career.


Sound quality is an important point for her (and me) certainly: it's one of the tacit reasons why I needed your help.

Can you tell me if there is any significant difference of sound quality between the songs in "Elvis 75" and the same performances (or songs) in "Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" ("20 original albums")?


Elvis 75 uses the most recent, highly regarded (on these forums) remasteres. On the 20CD set, around a dozen of the discs also feature those new remasters. However, one of the discs that doesn't is the 1956 first album which contains 2005 masters which many people rate higher in the case of this particular material. Of the remaining discs, they are generally very good soundwise, with a couple of them being remixes. Go here for more info:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73511#p1103188

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:08 pm

arkpandora wrote:Sound quality is an important point for her (and me) certainly: it's one of the tacit reasons why I needed your help.

Can you tell me if there is any significant difference of sound quality between the songs in "Elvis 75" and the same performances (or songs) in "Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" ("20 original albums")?


The Perfect Elvis Presley Collection is not, um, perfect by any measure - containing a lot of substandard material and an uneven balance of content. One 50s album, five 60s albums, and FOURTEEN 70s albums. Whoever compiled it did a shoddy job. Otherwise its price is pretty nice.

Get Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight, it is a quality set with fantastic sound, nice liner notes and overall presentation. You get all the great Sun sides, a smothering of breakthrough 50s content, a healthy mix of 60s singles, album, and soundtrack cuts, and a decent overview of the 70s. It does not have My Way, but not many great compilations do. If she likes that, and she's into deeper musical study you might progress with something like Young Man With The Big Beat - a worthy 1956 anthology. If that's too much, there are some 2-fer CD collections focused on career albums to supplement Elvis 75:

Elvis Presley - Legacy Edition (his first two LPs, along with associated 1956 singles)
Elvis Is Back! - Legacy Edition (1960 and 1961 albums and singles)
From Elvis In Memphis - Legacy Edition (both 1969 Memphis albums and associated singles)
On Stage - Legacy Edition (1969 and 1970 live albums plus bonus performances)*
Elvis Country - Legacy Edition (both 1971 studio albums - recorded 1970. Hit and miss with content, due to pairing with a lesser album, but great vocals throughout and Elvis Country itself should be in any Presley collection)

*I would highly recommend On Stage as a companion to Elvis 75 first due to it featuring Elvis live in concert at the peak of his 'return to performing' powers. Some really great music within and it captures a side of Elvis not shown with only studio master recordings.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:20 pm

I would strongly advice --

Pl.chec them out
they r great

Please chec out amazon .co .uk for great deals

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... Caps%2C235
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:47 am

@karlos

"Elvis at the movies" could be a good idea because the only LP my mother still has is a copy of "Roustabout"... But she's not especially fond of his film scores.

poormadpeter wrote:Elvis 75 uses the most recent, highly regarded (on these forums) remasteres. On the 20CD set, around a dozen of the discs also feature those new remasters. However, one of the discs that doesn't is the 1956 first album which contains 2005 masters which many people rate higher in the case of this particular material. Of the remaining discs, they are generally very good soundwise, with a couple of them being remixes. Go here for more info:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73511#p1103188


Thanks again Peter for your valuable information!

Matthew wrote:The Perfect Elvis Presley Collection is not, um, perfect by any measure - containing a lot of substandard material and an uneven balance of content. One 50s album, five 60s albums, and FOURTEEN 70s albums. Whoever compiled it did a shoddy job. Otherwise its price is pretty nice.

et Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight, it is a quality set with fantastic sound, nice liner notes and overall presentation. You get all the great Sun sides, a smothering of breakthrough 50s content, a healthy mix of 60s singles, album, and soundtrack cuts, and a decent overview of the 70s. It does not have My Way, but not many great compilations do. If she likes that, and she's into deeper musical study you might progress with something like Young Man With The Big Beat - a worthy 1956 anthology. If that's too much, there are some 2-fer CD collections focused on career albums to supplement Elvis 75:

Elvis Presley - Legacy Edition (his first two LPs, along with associated 1956 singles)
Elvis Is Back! - Legacy Edition (1960 and 1961 albums and singles)
From Elvis In Memphis - Legacy Edition (both 1969 Memphis albums and associated singles)
On Stage - Legacy Edition (1969 and 1970 live albums plus bonus performances)*
Elvis Country - Legacy Edition (both 1971 studio albums - recorded 1970. Hit and miss with content, due to pairing with a lesser album, but great vocals throughout and Elvis Country itself should be in any Presley collection)


And thanks Matthew for this detailed program!

I would have completed "The Perfect Elvis Presley Collection" with another set, but you are right to insist: I'm not inclined to support a shoddy job, despite the nice price and presentation.

Matthew wrote:*I would highly recommend On Stage as a companion to Elvis 75 first due to it featuring Elvis live in concert at the peak of his 'return to performing' powers. Some really great music within and it captures a side of Elvis not shown with only studio master recordings.


After comparing reviews of live albums, "On Stage" was the first album I intended to buy before posting on this forum, but I was dampened by reading it's overdubbed, unlike "Madison Square Garden" or "Aloha from Hawaii". However I haven't listened to it myself, so I'm willing to trust you and other positive reviews.

And nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I'll probably follow your advice and choose "Elvis 75" + "On Stage".

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:46 am

arkpandora wrote:After comparing reviews of live albums, "On Stage" was the first album I intended to buy before posting on this forum, but I was dampened by reading it's overdubbed, unlike "Madison Square Garden" or "Aloha from Hawaii". However I haven't listened to it myself, so I'm willing to trust you and other positive reviews.

And nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I'll probably follow your advice and choose "Elvis 75" + "On Stage".

There are some repairs on some tracks, mainly backing vocal sweetening and the odd (rare) guitar fix. Everything else is live.

Both the original On Stage (1970) and In Person (1969) albums are compiled live albums from various performances and feature excellent song performances. The atmosphere on the albums is worth the price of admission for the Legacy Edition. The Wonder Of You comes from On Stage, as well as his definitive take on Polk Salad Annie. The In Person element focuses on his return to live performances.

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:54 am

I think the "Good Rockin Tonight" boxset is the PERFECT starting point!

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: Ignorant in need of enlightened advice!

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:54 am

Matthew wrote:
arkpandora wrote:After comparing reviews of live albums, "On Stage" was the first album I intended to buy before posting on this forum, but I was dampened by reading it's overdubbed, unlike "Madison Square Garden" or "Aloha from Hawaii". However I haven't listened to it myself, so I'm willing to trust you and other positive reviews.

And nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I'll probably follow your advice and choose "Elvis 75" + "On Stage".

There are some repairs on some tracks, mainly backing vocal sweetening and the odd (rare) guitar fix. Everything else is live.

Both the original On Stage (1970) and In Person (1969) albums are compiled live albums from various performances and feature excellent song performances. The atmosphere on the albums is worth the price of admission for the Legacy Edition. The Wonder Of You comes from On Stage, as well as his definitive take on Polk Salad Annie. The In Person element focuses on his return to live performances.

Thanks, Matthew! I'll definitely begin with "Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight" + "On Stage" (Legacy Edition).

JEFF d wrote:I think the "Good Rockin Tonight" boxset is the PERFECT starting point!


And it scores one more point!