Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

i'd like to ask you if you have ever felt 'betrayed' by elvis, for his support to Nixon ?

no
54%
yes
7%
other opinion
8%
i never cared
31%

Total votes : 71

Re: have you ever felt betrayed by elvis, for supporting Nix

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:54 pm

We need President Nixon - Now More than Ever!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:22 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:We need President Nixon - Now More than Ever!

Yes, and polio, too.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:34 pm

Elvis was respectful to whoever held the office of President from whichever party they represented.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:47 pm

tcb4 wrote:hi

i'd like to ask you if you have ever felt 'betrayed' by elvis, for supporting Nixon ?

Why would you like to know this?
He was not that much involved in politics.....
Can you tell us what the purpose is of this question???

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:52 pm

I've never viewed Elvis as a "supporter" of Nixon. And, as has been pointed out, Elvis visited Nixon to get his badge before Nixon disgraced himself with the coverup of the Watergate burglary and his obstruction of justice, which lead to his imminent impeachment and virtually certain conviction before he resigned from office. It's been said many times that Elvis was apolitical and I believe that its true. Too bad, however, that he never voted. Every citizen should vote. Americans do that Tuesday if you haven't already.

MT

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:06 am

again > is it mentionned in This is elvis ?
Last edited by tcb4 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:21 am

it can also be a topic about elvis & his public behaviour

elvis was sometimes imprudent like when the day he shook the hand of the extremist politician in wheeling chair, or the day he introduced vietnam soldiers from the stage in 1970, or when he said to french fans 'i ve been in france but i dont remember' or all his mistakes of town on stage, etc ...

elvis asking a badge to nixon it was > the most famous singer in the world who met the worst american president ( many european journalists think that )

so dont you think the meeting looked like a big blunder/slip up :mrgreen:

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:30 am

Your whole post seems to be a blunder. There is no problem with any of the actions you are critical of Elvis over.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:39 am

It's an interesting question because the details have taken a long time to emerge. It was very confusing at first. He had no appointment - just showed up. And got a BNDD bage. Why that? It was very confusing! You can't feel betrayed when you have no idea what the heck it was all about!

As time went on, things became increasingly clear. He flew to Denver, too. He gave "donations" to police dept.s all over. During this time.

I got the story now. (Will post link later to extended timeline in another thread. On mobile right now.) It's quite complex.

Betrayal never came up, as I commenced to investigating it ASAP. And continued to do so.

rjm

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by rjm on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:42 am

tcb4 wrote:it can also be a topic about elvis & his public behaviour

elvis was sometimes imprudent like when the day he shook the hand of the extremist politician in wheeling chair, or the day he introduced vietnam soldiers from the stage in 1970, or when he said to french fans 'i ve been in france but i dont remember' or all his mistakes of town on stage, etc ...

elvis asking a badge to nixon it was > the most famous singer in the world who met the worst american president ( many european journalists think that )

so dont you think the meeting looked like a big blunder/slip up :mrgreen:

This thread is the definition of making a mountain out of mole hill.

Elvis did what he wanted, when he wanted. He was predictable and then also unpredictable. But when he wanted something--he got it. It didn't matter who was sitting in that Oval Office on that day--he was going to go in there and be buddies with whomever he needed to get that badge. Who better to get on your side then the man all the way at the top?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:44 am

Jepp! Nixon should play rock in jail

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:50 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Every citizen should vote. Americans do that Tuesday if you haven't already.

Not all Americans. Just the ones in the U.S.A.

Brian

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:56 am

Two pages so far.

Really?

And I just added to the conglomeration.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:11 am

Until the question was posed here I'd never given it a thought. Now that I have, NO! If I've ever felt betrayed (if that's the proper term) it would be because Elvis didn't take care of himself and died needlessly at the age of 42.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:38 am

When you deal with a manager like Colonel Parker so many years,, it is no surprise you can't see how a crook was Nixon in politics. It's a dark side of Elvis's personna. He mocked all the time "message songs" playing safe with sentimental and rythmic material that wouldn't raise any social issues. I tought he had made some kind of a statement with If I Can Dream and In The Ghetto, but that only lasted over night: Vegas became "business as usual". Sorry guys, but as much as I love Elvis, I can't but think that he missed some dramatic issues in the society and the world of his days. Still I collect FTD Classic like a madman. I can make the difference between the artist and the citizen. The problem with Elvis's celebrity and blind adulation is that he was forgiven a lot of things, nobody else would have gotten away with. We know today that some very rich and famous singers and artists use the fiscal paradised to escape their citizenship responsibility. It's not always a "Wonderful World". Fortunately Elvis never did that and he gave around tons of gifts to friends and money to charitable organizations. Colonel Parker never let him sing at the White House for JFK and Elvis never disputed that but he took on himself to meet President Nixon: what was it for incidentally? Just bravado?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:22 am

I had never for a second before this poll considered myself betrayed by Elvis because he visited Nixon (which is different to supporting him), and I still don't.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:How do we know Elvis didn't vote at all? He never voted?

You have to register in order to vote in a general election. Is no record of Elvis Presley ever registering, or of anyone recalling him making it out to the polls.

However, Elvis did vote for George Klein as Humes High Class President in the fall of 1952.

Hi Doc,

It's funny you mention that about Elvis registering to vote being so close to election day, because about less than a year ago I e-mailed Angie Marchese of EPE archives and asked whether they had any documentation in their archives that indicated whether or not Elvis was ever a registered voter and whether he registered as a Republican, Democrat or other. I also asked EPE had any information as to whether Elvis ever went to the polls. From the e-mail I got back from her, she seemed to indicate that EPE doesn't have in their archives any documentation that would show whether Elvis was even registered to vote. It would seem Elvis missed out on some great elections:

Eisenhower / Nixon (R) vs Stevenson / Kefauver (D)

Kennedy / Johnson (D) vs Nixon / Lodge Jr. (R)

Johnson / Humphrey (D) vs Goldwater / Miller (R)

Nixon / Agnew (R) vs Humphrey / Muskie (D) vs Wallace / LeMay (AI)

Nixon / Agnew (R) vs McGovern / Shriver (D)

Carter / Mondale (D) vs Ford / Dole (R)

I often wondered if many of those politicians both locally in and around Memphis as well as Nixon knew that Elvis wasn't registered to vote.

Daryl

Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 am

Sun Hero wrote:
tcb4 wrote:hi

i'd like to ask you if you have ever felt 'betrayed' by elvis, for supporting Nixon ?

Why would you like to know this?
He was not that much involved in politics.....
Can you tell us what the purpose is of this question???

i was going to say...i don't understand the question

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:55 am

londonflash wrote:
joshferrell wrote:too bad you didn't put "I want to commit suicide because of this" as an option,because i'm sure most fans do..

Only when faced with another of these bloody polls.

no one is forcing you to vote, or open the thread

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:56 am

...everyday..... ELVIS OH WHYOHWHYOHWHYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:18 am

Has anyone gone to the local Registrar of Voters? They would be the ones to know. IF they keep records of deceased people. I said this once before, regarding Dave Letterman, and a magazine piece about a decade ago. They wrote that he was a Republican. He was furious that they didn't even do some simple research; he said all they needed to do was to go to the "little ladies" who keep the records, and it's readily available! Letterman was(is?) a registered Independent, except for 1984, when he registered as a Democrat. And it was all in the public records! (I know a person who did some work for the state, and the records are knowable! In Letterman's then-state.)

So, clearly, it's public record. But if the person is no longer alive, I don't know. They knew in the first "Rock The Vote" MTV campaign which stars ACTUALLY voted (not many), and which ones supported it, but never actually voted themselves.

As to "going" to the polls, celebrities generally do not; they vote absentee. As do a lot of people!

So, we can't be sure. He SAID, in 1956, that he had registered as a Democrat because he was "strictly for Stevenson" (etc.), but that doesn't mean he actually did it. After those remarks, he really backed away and said "I don't know about (things like) Suez." That he was too busy to keep up with it. Which was not true, because he was extremely well-versed on Stevenson's "New Politics" positions, especially on eliminating the draft. (Something Elvis should not have touched with a 10-foot-pole.)

As for 1970, it's a long story! I'll get back here with the link after I do a search on my own posts.

Here ya go! The whole lowdown on Elvis's Most Excellent Adventure. (I don't know if I have the Agnew newspaper clippings from the Vegas speech here. Hope so.)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65992&p=982574#p982574

And the VEEP's anti-rock, anti-Beatles, anti-rock-is-a-drug, anti-"brainwashing" speech! Straight from the papers! Compare this to "The Letter," as well as remarks attributed to Elvis during the meeting, and events right around this time.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19700915&id=-IAsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a80EAAAAIBAJ&pg=4965,2665437

rjm

Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:43 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
londonflash wrote:
joshferrell wrote:too bad you didn't put "I want to commit suicide because of this" as an option,because i'm sure most fans do..

Only when faced with another of these bloody polls.

C'mon! The coffee one was an all-time classic.

I swear I can't pay attention to anymore topics cuz my eyes are always on Madonna !!!

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:15 am

Daryl wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:How do we know Elvis didn't vote at all? He never voted?

You have to register in order to vote in a general election. Is no record of Elvis Presley ever registering, or of anyone recalling him making it out to the polls.

However, Elvis did vote for George Klein as Humes High Class President in the fall of 1952.

Hi Doc,

It's funny you mention that about Elvis registering to vote being so close to election day, because about less than a year ago I e-mailed Angie Marchese of EPE archives and asked whether they had any documentation in their archives that indicated whether or not Elvis was ever a registered voter and whether he registered as a Republican, Democrat or other. I also asked EPE had any information as to whether Elvis ever went to the polls. From the e-mail I got back from her, she seemed to indicate that EPE doesn't have in their archives any documentation that would show whether Elvis was even registered to vote.

Trust the DOC!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:12 am

Elvis wanted to get that badge and it just happened that Nixon was president at the time. He didn't support any one President or one political party but we was patriotic and he did offer his serves to the country in a low key manner in order to earn his FBI status. I think he was right about the drug culture personally there were some artists and movements that made drug taking cool. The war on drugs is lost. You're not considered rock n roll unless you're taking them. And you're shouted down or laughed at if your anti them. Elvis might seem like a hypocrite because of his prescription drug dependency. But he wasn't advertising LSD he didn't make albums with drug themes he didn't record under the influence of them and his music wasn't trippy the only backwards message you'll find in Yoga is as Yoga Does is ... seod agoy sa si agoy.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:17 am

I have refused to listen to Elvis since the day he shook Nixon's hand. I still cannot believe he would do that to me.