Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:58 am

JimmyCool wrote:The December 13, 1975 MS is just beautiful.

Totally agree with ya Jimmy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Renan wrote:And apparently, Elvis wanted to place the song again in his setlist for the August / September 1974 Las Vegas season:

August 14th, 1974 (Wednesday - Evening)
RCA Studio's, Hollywood, California

Something
I'm Leavin'
It's Over
The First Time
The Twelfth Of Never
Steamroller Blues
Just Pretend
Early Morning Blues
Down In The Alley
Fool
I'll Remember You
Johnny B Goode
I Walk The Line
Hello Josephine
Wabash Canonball
Faded Love
She's Not You
Suzie Q
Whole Lot Of Shakin' Goin' On
You Gave Me A Mountain
I Just Can't Help Believin'
It's A Matter Of Time
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel

Source:
http://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/r ... -1974.html

Definitely hope a tape of this rehearsal comes out someday. Be particularly interested in hearing "She's Not You."

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:12 am

U.S. Male1990 wrote:The 1972 version is excellent as well.

In 1975, however, it's almost as if he's trying to assure the fans, as futile as it may have been, that underneath the sweaty, puffy build, garish jumpsuits, and lifeless eyes, that the real Elvis is still there, and things will get back together. Looking at it from this angle, you can't help but appreciate these performances.

Man, if someone asked me to present Elvis singing "Just Pretend," I would choose one of the two RCA August 1970 recordings, probably 8-12-1970 MS. His 1975 recordings are not as well-sung, and should not be elevated because of a struggle against his "sweaty, puffy build, garish jumpsuits, and lifeless eyes."

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:34 am

I can't get excited over the 1975 renditions of the song. While the spring and summer shows are, more often than not, pleasant ways to spend an hour or so with Elvis in good humour and good voice, the December shows seem to be somewhat forced. While some performances are enjoyable enough, not least the Dinner at Eight show because of the superior sound quality, songs such as Just Pretend and How Great Thou Art find Elvis in bellowing mode, which do neither song any favours.