Off Topic Messages

Happy Thanksgiving 2012!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 am

Well, it's almost time to go from coast to coast of our beautiful land here in the States. I go up into the sky tomorrow morning. (And hope to come down. Softly.)

Happy Thanksgiving to all! (Even if you don't exactly do it where you are - it's still a good time to "give thanks" for whatever you have.)

And to remember certain things. I love this video; I think it may be the best ever.

phpBB [video]

Enjoy!

rjm ::rocks

Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2012!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:44 am

Happy thanksgiving to all of our members across the pond

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all indeed!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Thanksgiving isn't here yet, but your early post has accomplished you to be the first to post this , bet that was your plan!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:47 pm

R.I.P. to all the turkeys

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:56 pm

You are right! :D

Sad about those turkeys, but I'm hungry already.

Right now, Elvis is singing "Peace In The Valley." I need it!

uploadfromtaptalk1353520584039.jpg

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:24 am

You and your loved ones have a nice holiday, too!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:33 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I hope you all have as much to be thankful for as I do this year. At the time of this posting, my daughter is having labor pains that are seven minutes apart. Chances are looking good that I will have a new grandson on Thanksgiving Day. My son is home from the military for a few days and he and his wife are staying with us.

It doesn't get any better than this, boys and girls. It's what Thanksgiving is all about, so I'll be signing off for a few days to enjoy this holiday. Best wishes to all of you.

Papaw loves you.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:52 am

Congratulations Rob!

As to what we do, we do, we get together with family and stuff ourselves till we're sick. And we enjoy doing that. LOL.

It goes way back, and we celebrate how the Native Americans helped the new arrivals survive the first year. That's the short version. Very short.

Anyway, it kicks off the holiday season and Santas sprout in malls all over America. And so on.

The plane landed!

rjm

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 am

rjm wrote:
It goes way back, and we celebrate how the Native Americans helped the new arrivals survive the first year. That's the short version. Very short.

Short? Very short?

How about wrong! Very wrong!

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving because of how the Indians (Native Americans if you will) helped the new arrivals (the Pilgrims) survive their first year.

The short, very short reason we celebrate Thanksgiving is to give thanks to God. That is what the Pilgrims did at that first Thanksgiving - they gave thanks to God.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Thanks be to God!

RKS

Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:07 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:14 am

@RKSNASH: It IS wrong, actually. I just gave the popular version. But it's a nice thread and not the place for such discussion. There may be such a place, and if so, I'll be there.

Happy Holidays. :)

rjm

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 pm

But it's a nice thread and not the place for such discussion.

rjm,

I'm not trying to derail your topic, but telling the truth about Thanksgiving in a "Thanksgiving" thread IS the place for such discussion especially when someone specifically asked about our American Thanksgiving and most especially when (as you admitted) the wrong answer was given.

RKS

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:23 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
But it's a nice thread and not the place for such discussion.

rjm,

I'm not trying to derail your topic, but telling the truth about Thanksgiving in a "Thanksgiving" thread IS the place for such discussion especially when someone specifically asked about our American Thanksgiving and most especially when (as you admitted) the wrong answer was given.

RKS

"Wrong" in the sense that it is the popular, "friendly" explanation. And the thread wasn't meant for politics, historical or otherwise. It's really a very long and contentious story. I'm not sure anyone wanted that.

If one wants to get into the nitty-gritty, it's just not "friendly" anymore. But there WAS such an event, once. It bears little relation to the holiday it became, which is the long story, which then becomes contentious.

I think the holiday today is very different from what it was, even during the transitional periods. If the popular story does any good by bringing people a sense of possibility, then it's okay to tell it to kids. It does no harm. There is much more to learn, and it's all readily available. One can interpret the information however one wishes, to be truthful. And today, it's okay to practice it in any way you wish: religious, secular . . . your choice.

It would be like ruining a "Merry Christmas" thread with tales of the history of all the traditions, most of which significantly predated Christianity. That would not be sociable.

But it's over. So . . . here's a bit.

phpBB [video]

Happy Holidays. :smt002

rjm (start a new thread about this, please, if you're going to)