Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Whats your favourite version of this song performed in 1975, For me my favourite version comes from december 6 1975, which is featured on the Live In Las Vegas box, Because it was still fresh. Elvis remark on ''we did this song about 3 years ago'' Was kind of right because the last time he performed it was in november '72.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:33 pm

What is the best version of every song!
Let's use this to save topic space!

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah that's a good one.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:51 pm

And apparently, Elvis wanted to place the song again in his setlist for the August / September 1974 Las Vegas season:

August 14th, 1974 (Wednesday - Evening)
RCA Studio's, Hollywood, California


Something
I'm Leavin'
It's Over
The First Time
The Twelfth Of Never
Steamroller Blues
Just Pretend
Early Morning Blues
Down In The Alley
Fool
I'll Remember You
Johnny B Goode
I Walk The Line
Hello Josephine
Wabash Canonball
Faded Love
She's Not You
Suzie Q
Whole Lot Of Shakin' Goin' On
You Gave Me A Mountain
I Just Can't Help Believin'
It's A Matter Of Time
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel

Source:
http://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/r ... -1974.html

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:17 pm

I like the version from December 1975 in Vegas very much....
very committed ...

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Whats your favourite version of this song performed in 1975, For me my favourite version comes from december 6 1975, which is featured on the Live In Las Vegas box, Because it was still fresh. Elvis remark on ''we did this song about 3 years ago'' Was kind of right because the last time he performed it was in november '72.


All the versions from 1975 are too close to call.

And when Elvis remarked when "we did a song about ......" he is referring to the studio recording, and he was often off a few years.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:26 pm

I like the version from 10th December....... Elvis isn't satisfied at the start and starts it again twice...and the resulting final complete version is 'stunning' :lol: 8)

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Whats your favourite version of this song performed in 1975, For me my favourite version comes from december 6 1975, which is featured on the Live In Las Vegas box, Because it was still fresh. Elvis remark on ''we did this song about 3 years ago'' Was kind of right because the last time he performed it was in november '72.

"Just Pretend" was a stunner when I saw "Elvis In Concert" in SF on August 5, 2000. But as nice as all the December 1975 versions are, they are clearly a notch down from the August 1970 recordings, due to Elvis' health issues.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:38 pm

it was sublime in 1970..........

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I can't think of any of the 1975 versions that I'm particularly fond of. They are just OK.

The 1970 versions are another story altogether.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:20 am

Renan wrote:And apparently, Elvis wanted to place the song again in his setlist for the August / September 1974 Las Vegas season:

August 14th, 1974 (Wednesday - Evening)
RCA Studio's, Hollywood, California


Something
I'm Leavin'
It's Over
The First Time
The Twelfth Of Never
Steamroller Blues
Just Pretend
Early Morning Blues
Down In The Alley
Fool
I'll Remember You
Johnny B Goode
I Walk The Line
Hello Josephine
Wabash Canonball
Faded Love
She's Not You
Suzie Q
Whole Lot Of Shakin' Goin' On
You Gave Me A Mountain
I Just Can't Help Believin'
It's A Matter Of Time
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel

Source:
http://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/r ... -1974.html


was it the bad reseiving of the opening night show august 1974, that caused elvis not to do those songs listed above?

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:24 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
Renan wrote:And apparently, Elvis wanted to place the song again in his setlist for the August / September 1974 Las Vegas season:

August 14th, 1974 (Wednesday - Evening)
RCA Studio's, Hollywood, California


Something
I'm Leavin'
It's Over
The First Time
The Twelfth Of Never
Steamroller Blues
Just Pretend
Early Morning Blues
Down In The Alley
Fool
I'll Remember You
Johnny B Goode
I Walk The Line
Hello Josephine
Wabash Canonball
Faded Love
She's Not You
Suzie Q
Whole Lot Of Shakin' Goin' On
You Gave Me A Mountain
I Just Can't Help Believin'
It's A Matter Of Time
Teddy Bear
Don't Be Cruel

Source:
http://keithflynn.com/essential_lists/r ... -1974.html


was it the bad reseiving of the opening night show august 1974, that caused elvis not to do those songs listed above?


I don't think so. Most of the songs above were always in rehearsal lists and some Elvis had already performed live. Probably just a choice. It is safe to assume he liked the song because he brought it live in 1970, again 1972 and 1975.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:27 am

http://youtu.be/8TZ-V7XaaBo

yes Johnny I Agree with ya buddy - Lov It too - See Link above - is that one you mean - Enjoy -

TCE4Ever - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:36 am

karlos wrote:http://youtu.be/8TZ-V7XaaBo

yes Johnny I Agree with ya buddy - Lov It too - See Link above - is that one you mean - Enjoy -

TCE4Ever - ::rocks


hi karlos, thanks my friend but thats not the version im meaning :), Its not on youtube i believe.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:42 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
karlos wrote:http://youtu.be/8TZ-V7XaaBo

yes Johnny I Agree with ya buddy - Lov It too - See Link above - is that one you mean - Enjoy -

TCE4Ever - ::rocks


hi karlos, thanks my friend but thats not the version im meaning :), Its not on youtube i believe.

..................................................................................
ok Johnny - i know the one u mean -pls listento link its the one from boxset - i managed to find it - Lol -
i have set too of Elvis at Vegas on boxset - Live at Vegas - 4 cd set -


it was just a link for u and all to listen to - pls listen to link buddy -
enjoy ya week John my buddy -

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 pm

So the Doc lives in SF? That would explain a few things.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:17 am

Even the 1970 live versions pale in comparison to the magnificent studio master. The live takes from 1970 are very good and the 1975 live versions are good only when considering they are from 1975.

When listening to the 1975 versions though, I always feel he is holding back and that he could do more here.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:19 am

intelwild wrote:So the Doc lives in SF? That would explain a few things.

I don't live in SF, but feel free to explain your comment to all of us.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:09 am

I much prefer the 1975 versions to the 1970 versions. The voice isn't as powerful as it was in 1970, but it's still a very committed performance, and taking into account his health at the time, there's a heartbreaking vulnerability to his performances that add a certain layer to the song that wasn't present in 1970.

I'm interested in hearing the 1972 performance. What show(s) did he do it at? Are any available.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:19 am

U.S. Male1990 wrote:I much prefer the 1975 versions to the 1970 versions. The voice isn't as powerful as it was in 1970, but it's still a very committed performance, and taking into account his health at the time, there's a heartbreaking vulnerability to his performances that add a certain layer to the song that wasn't present in 1970.

I'm interested in hearing the 1972 performance. What show(s) did he do it at? Are any available.


November 18 1972 In Hawaii http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/livehic.htm

the sound is good enough on this cd. and i agree i prefer the 1975 versions to the 1970 versions to. In 1975 elvis has something vulnerable in his versions of just pretend,something heartbreaking indeed. u can feel this when u listen to those versions. in 1970 it was just a released song a king on top of his game. but in 1975, just pretend had the same meanings as It's Midnight and My Boy.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Maybe Elvis sang louder at times in 1975, but his voice had much more nuances in 1970. In general I prefer the versions of 1970, but five years later he still did a good job on "Just Pretend".

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:35 pm

The 1972 version is excellent as well.

In 1975, however, it's almost as if he's trying to assure the fans, as futile as it may have been, that underneath the sweaty, puffy build, garish jumpsuits, and lifeless eyes, that the real Elvis is still there, and things will get back together. Looking at it from this angle, you can't help but appreciate these performances.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:23 am

U.S. Male1990 wrote:The 1972 version is excellent as well.

In 1975, however, it's almost as if he's trying to assure the fans, as futile as it may have been, that underneath the sweaty, puffy build, garish jumpsuits, and lifeless eyes, that the real Elvis is still there, and things will get back together. Looking at it from this angle, you can't help but appreciate these performances.


I think elvis tried to give the same message in 77 in the sometimes rare songs he would perform. And on August 16 1977. hearing Jerry Schilling and Larry Geller say in a documentaire: he was playing some songs on the piano, it was like the man was 21 again.
The real elvis was still there and i honestly believe that in august 77 elvis really was goin to pull himself together again. it was just to late :(

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:41 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
U.S. Male1990 wrote:The 1972 version is excellent as well.

In 1975, however, it's almost as if he's trying to assure the fans, as futile as it may have been, that underneath the sweaty, puffy build, garish jumpsuits, and lifeless eyes, that the real Elvis is still there, and things will get back together. Looking at it from this angle, you can't help but appreciate these performances.


I think elvis tried to give the same message in 77 in the sometimes rare songs he would perform. And on August 16 1977. hearing Jerry Schilling and Larry Geller say in a documentaire: he was playing some songs on the piano, it was like the man was 21 again.
The real elvis was still there and i honestly believe that in august 77 elvis really was goin to pull himself together again. it was just to late :(

.........................................................
yes John - he sure did play songs on piano during 77 -
He even played piano on - July 19th 1975 At Uniondale New York As heard on Cd -
You'll Never Walk Alone - Straight Arrow SA 2011-20-02 (Released 2011).

.....................................................................
When he played Montgomery on February 16th 1977 he pla yed piano during the song - Where No One Stands Alone -
( Pl. see pic with this reply - Enjoy )
and even at June 21st 77 he played piano on Unchained Melody At Rapid City - so yes he sure had his piano forte in order when he performed songs such as above -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Best Version of Just Pretend in 1975?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:57 am

The December 13, 1975 MS is just beautiful.