Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden - Legacy Edition

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:03 am

A separate thread not to discuss Prince From Another Planet but rather the Madison Square Garden 2CD Legacy Edition, which features the 1972 mix of the evening show and the 1997 mix of the afternoon show. What are your thoughts on the package and audio content, in particular - how does the 1997 mix sound in its Anesini remastered form over its Ferrante mastered form from the 90s?

Re: Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden - Legacy Edit

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:15 am

Matthew wrote:A separate thread not to discuss Prince From Another Planet but rather the Madison Square Garden 2CD Legacy Edition, which features the 1972 mix of the evening show and the 1997 mix of the afternoon show. What are your thoughts on the package and audio content, in particular - how does the 1997 mix sound in its Anesini remastered form over its Ferrante mastered form from the 90s?

Do you have it?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:A separate thread not to discuss Prince From Another Planet but rather the Madison Square Garden 2CD Legacy Edition, which features the 1972 mix of the evening show and the 1997 mix of the afternoon show. What are your thoughts on the package and audio content, in particular - how does the 1997 mix sound in its Anesini remastered form over its Ferrante mastered form from the 90s?

Do you have it?

I'd like to know too. :) Does anyone?

I can't afford it this month, I've blown my Elvis budget bigtime until January.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:52 am

I hope to have both iterations soon. I will post more when they arrive.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:50 am

The first CD I ever owned, circa 1987, was the Japanese pressing of MSG. I thought it sounded great. I always thought the original vinyl sounded great. I was appalled at the horrible US CD release from the 90s. I realize that most fans, and many on this board, have heard only the 90s version. The criticism of that release has been perfectly justified.

That said, I enjoy the remix more than my old, Japanese CD, although I still don't hear much difference in the mix. It's more of a re-eq. I am finding the reduced dynamics to be more noticeable. I love the way the Sweets sound on Trilogy, when they sing that long, "onnnnnnn." Can't really hear them distinctly on the new versions.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:11 am

I have both the Legacy edition as well as PFAP.
While I listen more to PFAP, I did listen to the Legacy 2CD set. I don't have TCM but I do have the Japanese MSG CD and I would say the new Legacy remastered show is comparable to the Japanese release. As far as the afternoon show, I didn't notice any significant difference in sound quality vs. the 1997 release... but I've never liked the sound from this show... there's some sort of distortion on the drums and even the new remix hasn't solved this.
It's a beautiful package with an abbreviated version of the PFAP booklet... but I would say if you bought PFAP, you could pass on the Legacy edition... the sound quality of the evening show on PFAP is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the original mix and is definitely worth having.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Do you have it?

No, not yet.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:25 am

Nothing wrong with being slightly behind, Matthew. I still haven't listened to all of the Sun
set. I'm sort of waiting for the right moment to take it all in.

And, I agree, Brad (elvis-fan) . But TIm C. and Mike S. elsewhere are crying foul over
PFAP.

I'll have to go listen to the evening show again. Is it possible I let my enthusiasm
for the new show make me imagine it sounded great? :lol:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:28 am

Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Do you have it?

No, not yet.

I look forward to your always-worthwhile observations.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:44 am

elvisjock wrote:The first CD I ever owned, circa 1987, was the Japanese pressing of MSG. I thought it sounded great. I always thought the original vinyl sounded great. I was appalled at the horrible US CD release from the 90s. I realize that most fans, and many on this board, have heard only the 90s version. The criticism of that release has been perfectly justified.

That said, I enjoy the remix more than my old, Japanese CD, although I still don't hear much difference in the mix. It's more of a re-eq. I am finding the reduced dynamics to be more noticeable. I love the way the Sweets sound on Trilogy, when they sing that long, "onnnnnnn." Can't really hear them distinctly on the new versions.

I understand what you mean.
I still remember the warm sound the LP had.
It was the second record of Elvis' I ever owned.
I played that record til the grooves wore out.
The new mix takes the uniqueness out of the show for me.
The original has a sound that I am used to and works for me.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:39 am

I once did a comparision with the vinyl, 90's BMG cd release and Japanese 24 bit mastered cd. The vinyl won hands down. The BMG cd sounded horrible. 24 bit wasn't good either. Vinyl had most warm and full sound.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Marko wrote:I once did a comparision with the vinyl, 90's BMG cd release and Japanese 24 bit mastered cd. The vinyl won hands down. The BMG cd sounded horrible. 24 bit wasn't good either. Vinyl had most warm and full sound.

Oh dear. Isn't it complicated being an Elvis fan?? Looks like we'll need 10 different variations to keep us all happy! :?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Marko wrote:I once did a comparision with the vinyl, 90's BMG cd release and Japanese 24 bit mastered cd. The vinyl won hands down. The BMG cd sounded horrible. 24 bit wasn't good either. Vinyl had most warm and full sound.

What was the good vinyl Marko, was it the US? I always avoided getting a MSG vinyl in the UK as I was worried it'd sound like that 90s BMG CD, which was almost totally unlistenable, like it was mastered by Angela Lansbury and Leonard Nimoy, ie not the right people for the job :shock:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Tony.. wrote:

Oh dear. Isn't it complicated being an Elvis fan?? Looks like we'll need 10 different variations to keep us all happy! :?

Best comment from the last couple of weeks Tony..

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 am

I don't have PFAP yet, but I do have the Legacy set. Nice to have it, and much better than the original CD package. I was soooo happy to get the original CD when it came out, because MSG was the second Elvis LP I ever owned, and I wore that thing outas a kid--so much so that I was placing coins on the turntable arm to keep it from skipping.

I do have a 60-minute radio show dedicated to PFAP, featuring interviews with Glen, James, Schilling and some New York reporters who attended one of the Garden shows. The show also features several tracks from the set, and what I heard sounded better than the Legacy set.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Do you have it?

No, not yet.

I look forward to your always-worthwhile observations.

I'm interested in gauging fellow fan opinions. When I learned that the 1997 mix of the afternoon show was being considered as the "original mix" I was a little let down. I already own Anesini's remaster of the evening show and I already own An Afternoon In The Garden. In some previous cases of Vic Anesini remastering old Dennis Ferrante mixes from the 90s there have been audible differences - such as some of the Feb '72 Vegas recordings. Compare Never Been To Spain from the 70s Box to the same on 2007's Viva Las Vegas and you'll notice the digital reverb effects used by Dennis Ferrante are gone (a good thing).

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 am

King Volcano wrote:

What was the good vinyl Marko, was it the US? I always avoided getting a MSG vinyl in the UK as I was worried it'd sound like that 90s BMG CD, which was almost totally unlistenable, like it was mastered by Angela Lansbury and Leonard Nimoy, ie not the right people for the job :shock:

It was a USA pressing. I have both the original flexidisc (not in good condition) and a later re-print in mint condition with "normal" vinyl. The latter was the one I did the comparision with.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:30 pm

Marko wrote:
King Volcano wrote:

It was a USA pressing. I have both the original flexidisc (not in good condition) and a later re-print in mint condition with "normal" vinyl. The latter was the one I did the comparision with.

Cheers!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Matthew wrote:I'm interested in gauging fellow fan opinions. When I learned that the 1997 mix of the afternoon show was being considered as the "original mix" I was a little let down.

But there is no previous release of this concert.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Sure, but it is a posthumous mix bearing little resemblance to the 1972 album mix of the evening show. I don't consider any non-lifetime mixes as particularly "authoritative" and some tend to drift from the correct aesthetics of their time. The hope was that Vic Anesini would get a crack at it as he has proven himself extremely capable of creating period correct audio mixes. Dennis Ferrante's '97 mix is just his (then) contemporary interpretation of what he wanted to do with the show. Had the afternoon show come out in 1972 no doubt it would be much closer to the 1972 evening show mix.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Did u guys know msg phillipenes lp is on rigid vinyl it was released in the us on thin vinyl. It sounda better on the rigid vinyl that the us copy.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm

ritchie the us vinyl on the us copy and the phillipenes rigid vinyl was mgs for to us hard to. If it sounda better why not be the show to hard vinyl after ones before that us copy?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:14 pm

Rigid and hard will always win. Hands down. Vinyl or otherwise.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:06 am

Matthew wrote:Sure, but it is a posthumous mix bearing little resemblance to the 1972 album mix of the evening show. I don't consider any non-lifetime mixes as particularly "authoritative" and some tend to drift from the correct aesthetics of their time. The hope was that Vic Anesini would get a crack at it as he has proven himself extremely capable of creating period correct audio mixes. Dennis Ferrante's '97 mix is just his (then) contemporary interpretation of what he wanted to do with the show. Had the afternoon show come out in 1972 no doubt it would be much closer to the 1972 evening show mix.

It seems your view is as valid as RCA's in regard to the afternoon set. They made the call that the original 1997 release represents the original mix. You would prefer someone to take the basic tracks and mix as if it was late June 1972. Historically, they are more right, but aesthetically, the nod goes to you.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:Sure, but it is a posthumous mix bearing little resemblance to the 1972 album mix of the evening show. I don't consider any non-lifetime mixes as particularly "authoritative" and some tend to drift from the correct aesthetics of their time. The hope was that Vic Anesini would get a crack at it as he has proven himself extremely capable of creating period correct audio mixes. Dennis Ferrante's '97 mix is just his (then) contemporary interpretation of what he wanted to do with the show. Had the afternoon show come out in 1972 no doubt it would be much closer to the 1972 evening show mix.

It seems your view is as valid as RCA's in regard to the afternoon set. They made the call that the original 1997 release represents the original mix. You would prefer someone to take the basic tracks and mix as if it was late June 1972. Historically, they are more right, but aesthetically, the nod goes to you.

We also have the Venus mix. Could that be the 'original'?