Poll ended at Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 am

Thanksgiving Tiger
40%
Thanksgiving Turkey
60%

Total votes : 67

Re: Harum Scarum: Thanksgiving Tiger or Turkey? Cast your vo

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 am

It's the only Elvis movie I can't sit through. PHS is a close second. Although that at least has the Hawiian scenery and costumes. I always have enjoyed the Harum ST though. Somebody get the smelling salts for Doc. He just fainted.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:38 am

JerryNodak wrote:It's the only Elvis movie I can't sit through. PHS is a close second. Although that at least has the Hawiian scenery and costumes. I always have enjoyed the Harum ST though. Somebody get the smelling salts for Doc. He just fainted.

Thanks for all the links and info HoneyTalkNelson...but the movie is and always will be a stinker.
Along with PHS and Clambake, I just can't watch it.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Bob.great post
i voted Turkey ,but a watchable turkey

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:10 am

Wow, it looks like the Turkey is winning this vote. It's not Thanksgiving yet so maybe the Tiger will have a comeback?

In the meantime, here are some more unusual images to inspire your voting.
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Thanksgiving Tiger or Turkey?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Thank you DrJohnCarpenter!

If individual sales are down, release more product: November 6, 1965

Didn't Good Ole Colonel in 1956 say: "Overexposure is like a sun burn, it hurts!"?

Great bit of research and a nice read, thanx HoneyTalkNelson!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:15 pm

L Ray wrote:Thanks for the fun posts. We're talking about my youth here. I bought the Harum Scarum LP around the same time as Rubber Soul. I was 14 when I saw HS in the theater and I thought it was great. I still like the soundtrack but it isn't his best music.

Mine too, I saw every new Elvis film on initial release from Love Me Tender to This Is Elvis. A few exceptions - I was too young to see Jailhouse Rock and King Creole as you had to be 16 at the time as they were both 'A' certificates! Live A Little, Love A little was never released in the UK so I went to see it in Belgium (as part of a fan club holiday).

Surprised at the amount of 'tigers' HS is getting!!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm surprised with 283 views, only 24 have voted.

C'mon Elvis fans, let your voices be heard. It's your God-given right!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Wow, it looks like the Turkey is winning this vote. It's not Thanksgiving yet so maybe the Tiger will have a comeback?

In the meantime, here are some more unusual images to inspire your voting.

the 3rd pic :smt005 that's just awesome

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:23 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:
L Ray wrote:Thanks for the fun posts. We're talking about my youth here. I bought the Harum Scarum LP around the same time as Rubber Soul. I was 14 when I saw HS in the theater and I thought it was great. I still like the soundtrack but it isn't his best music.

Mine too, I saw every new Elvis film on initial release from Love Me Tender to This Is Elvis. A few exceptions - I was too young to see Jailhouse Rock and King Creole as you had to be 16 at the time as they were both 'A' certificates! Live A Little, Love A little was never released in the UK so I went to see it in Belgium (as part of a fan club holiday).

I started with Kid Galahad. But some of the previous I saw re-released in theaters. I was the right age for those movies and I still like all of them to some degree. Viva Las Vegas is so cool in Blu-ray. More Blu-rays please. Interesting about the age thing in UK.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 am

L Ray wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:

I started with Kid Galahad. But some of the previous I saw re-released in theaters. I was the right age for those movies and I still like all of them to some degree. Viva Las Vegas is so cool in Blu-ray. More Blu-rays please. Interesting about the age thing in UK.

Yes the age thing, In those days there were three catageries 'U' certificate was for all ages, 'A' over 16 and 'X' for over 18's. Athough I never did it for JHR and KC you could see an 'A' film if accompanied by as adult, so if there was a movie we really wanted to see, us kids would hang about at the movie house entrance and ask any adult going in if they would take us in with them :shock: Couldn't imagine that happening these days.

These certifications were decided by 'The Bitish Board of Film Censors' Didn't you have similar :?:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:13 am

Great topic Honeytalknelson! I voted Turkey. Not my fav Elvis movie. Only played the old VHS one time and the DVD one time. Love the soundtrack album and some of the songs however.Thanks also for sharing the posters and other information, including the tv broadcast dates. Only other Elvis film I can't stomach is "Frankie and Johnny". Happy Thanksgiving!! ::rocks

Re: Vote Today!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:38 pm

More rare images are coming soon...

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:42 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:More rare images are coming soon...

great

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:07 pm

"Paradise, Box Office Style"

.. that's a classic, very cynical, very funny!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Those trade ads are loaded with wonderful hype and exploitation. Wait till you see the gems I'll be posting in the next day or two...

And check out those exhibitor comments for some more interesting observations, straight from the boxoffice, so to speak.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:

Wow, you went to see it in Belgium, not too far but what a superfan! I love reading fan experiences at the time ::rocks

I quite enjoy the Harum soundtrack too, especially the hard-as-nails Hey Little Girl from one of those early FTDs (Out in Hollywood IIRC?).

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:52 am

King Volcano wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:

Wow, you went to see it in Belgium, not too far but what a superfan! I love reading fan experiences at the time ::rocks

I quite enjoy the Harum soundtrack too, especially the hard-as-nails Hey Little Girl from one of those early FTDs (Out in Hollywood IIRC?).

Belgium wasn't too far from where I was born and bought up in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, and as I say it was part of a holiday. Several dozen of us went.

I see the tigers are holding their own :o
Last edited by Chris Roberts on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:55 am

Chris Roberts wrote:
King Volcano wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:

Belgium wasn't too far from where I was born and bought up in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, and as I say it was part of a holiday. Several dozen of us went.

I see the turkeys are holding their own :o

Ah yeah, always good for European travel to be based on the coast. I spent a lot of time in Tunbrudge Wells in the late 80s, a girlfriend worked there (somewhere near the Pantiles).

Sorry, back to Paradise, Memorabilia Style!

Re: HARUM SCARUM - Rare Ads and Images

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:41 pm

This lobbycard might be an image from the deleted "Animal Instinct" sequence. In the finished film, there is a cut from the assassins approaching to Elvis and Fran Jeffries about to drink the wine. From this pose, it looks like he might be singing to her. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:18 pm

i voted tiger because i like the soundtrack but the film dross :D

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Very interesting thread with the clippings, print ads, lobby cards, etc. Thanks. Still a lousy film. I was 15 at the time.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:10 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:This lobbycard might be an image from the deleted "Animal Instinct" sequence. In the finished film, there is a cut from the assassins approaching to Elvis and Fran Jeffries about to drink the wine. From this pose, it looks like he might be singing to her. What do you think?

I think you may be right. The scene shown on that card is not what I remember in the movie.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:19 pm

sgoodyear62 wrote:Great topic Honeytalknelson! I voted Turkey. Not my fav Elvis movie. Only played the old VHS one time and the DVD one time. Love the soundtrack album and some of the songs however.Thanks also for sharing the posters and other information, including the tv broadcast dates. Only other Elvis film I can't stomach is "Frankie and Johnny". Happy Thanksgiving!! ::rocks
altough i agree frankie and johnny isnt a good film at all. i for some reason watch it alteast once a year. Please dont stop loving me is one of those underated songs that i actually do like.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:21 pm

the ST is better then the movie, but at some degree i can enjoy this movie

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:34 pm

HoneyTalkNelson, Wonderful work - thanks for posting.

At age 30, Elvis had reached a low point in his recording and film career. Back in '58 King Creole was an early indication of the heights to which Elvis’ Hollywood career could have risen. Unfortunately by '65, HS was evidence of the depths to which it had sunk.