Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Security at Elvis's first memphis home

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:59 am

Has much been published about what the atmosphere was concerning fans at Elvis's first home in Memphis? If I'm not mistaken, he didn't move into Graceland until around May, 1957. This was certainly during a hot time in his career, and I'm curious as to what kind of attention he got from fans at his first house. It would seem like crowd control would have been a tough thing being in a more accessible area. What kind of security did he have at his first home? I don't see how his family had any privacy.

Re: Security at Elvis's first memphis home

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:04 pm

showfan wrote:Has much been published about what the atmosphere was concerning fans at Elvis's first home in Memphis? If I'm not mistaken, he didn't move into Graceland until around May, 1957. This was certainly during a hot time in his career, and I'm curious as to what kind of attention he got from fans at his first house. It would seem like crowd control would have been a tough thing being in a more accessible area. What kind of security did he have at his first home? I don't see how his family had any privacy.



I think I read that there really wasn't much. Fans would peek in the windows and Elvis' mother would invite them in. There were chickens roaming the yard. I guess it would be mostly locals. Teens in the 50s didn't really travel to places like Memphis to see thier idols.

Re: Security at Elvis's first memphis home

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Bobc wrote:
showfan wrote:Has much been published about what the atmosphere was concerning fans at Elvis's first home in Memphis? If I'm not mistaken, he didn't move into Graceland until around May, 1957. This was certainly during a hot time in his career, and I'm curious as to what kind of attention he got from fans at his first house. It would seem like crowd control would have been a tough thing being in a more accessible area. What kind of security did he have at his first home? I don't see how his family had any privacy.



I think I read that there really wasn't much. Fans would peek in the windows and Elvis' mother would invite them in. There were chickens roaming the yard. I guess it would be mostly locals. Teens in the 50s didn't really travel to places like Memphis to see thier idols.


I guess times were different. I assumed Memphis would have produced a large enough crowd to cause issues.

Re: Security at Elvis's first memphis home

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 pm

showfan wrote:
Bobc wrote:
showfan wrote:Has much been published about what the atmosphere was concerning fans at Elvis's first home in Memphis? If I'm not mistaken, he didn't move into Graceland until around May, 1957. This was certainly during a hot time in his career, and I'm curious as to what kind of attention he got from fans at his first house. It would seem like crowd control would have been a tough thing being in a more accessible area. What kind of security did he have at his first home? I don't see how his family had any privacy.



I think I read that there really wasn't much. Fans would peek in the windows and Elvis' mother would invite them in. There were chickens roaming the yard. I guess it would be mostly locals. Teens in the 50s didn't really travel to places like Memphis to see thier idols.


I guess times were different. I assumed Memphis would have produced a large enough crowd to cause issues.


Crowds large enough used to gather, for the Presley's nieghbours to complain about them and to set up a petition to persuad them to move. Elvis's responce was that he could buy out all of his nieghbours!

Re: Security at Elvis's first memphis home

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:23 pm

I don't doubt that security was as much an issue as privacy. He wasn't there a whole lot in 56 considering his schedule. Though they bought Graceland in May it was sometime after that he actually spent a night there. If I remember correctly, Lamar was one of the fans that hung around the gate at Audubon drive before he became part of the "in" crowd. Do a search in the photo section on Audubon Drive and you'll see plenty of pix with the numbers of fans hanging around.

Bobc wrote: [Teens in the 50s didn't really travel to places like Memphis to see thier idols.


There were several instances were young fans got on a bus and traveled to Memphis to meet or catch a glimse of Elvis there, often rounded up by the police and shipped back home. Those occasions made the papers.

Re: Security at Elvis's first memphis home

Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Here's an article I had from Ger Rijff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.