Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Single version of Life

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10 pm

what is the difference between the single version of 'life' "and the LP version
it is the same take? or a differend mix?

Re: Single version of Life

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Can't say I've noticed a difference, but I'd guess the single was in mono. I really like this song. I know a lot of people here have a problem with this track but I don't know why.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Theres a longer fade on the single version, apparantly the single and LP version are both diffrent masters.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Tony.. wrote:Can't say I've noticed a difference, but I'd guess the single was in mono. I really like this song. I know a lot of people here have a problem with this track but I don't know why.

I quite like it too. The lyrics are extra-naff which maybe puts people off it?.. but none of its lyrics are as bad as that line about baking a cake in The Next Step is Love.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:25 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Theres a longer fade on the single version, apparantly the single and LP version are both diffrent masters.

How can it have a longer fade? The song has a 'cold' ending!

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Theres a longer fade on the single version, apparantly the single and LP version are both diffrent masters.

How can it have a longer fade? The song has a 'cold' ending!

:lol:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Elvis makes a vocal improv over the end in mono.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Tony.. wrote:Can't say I've noticed a difference, but I'd guess the single was in mono. I really like this song. I know a lot of people here have a problem with this track but I don't know why.

Just listen to it one more time, Tony :wink:
All humour aside: I am glad people like this song but Life never has been amongst my favourites and I tend to skip it when the opening bars sound. each his own, I guess.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:17 pm

I agree.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 pm

thermoking wrote:what is the difference between the single version of 'life' "and the LP version

The single is a different mix and has a different ending.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:10 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
thermoking wrote:what is the difference between the single version of 'life' "and the LP version

Thank you zolderopruiming
and now the search were i can find the single version. :wink:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm

thermoking wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY-On ... 20cd80e9ca

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/7-Single-Elvis-P ... 3a6c63b51c

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:09 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
thermoking wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY-On ... 20cd80e9ca

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/7-Single-Elvis-P ... 3a6c63b51c

Thank you

Is the single version on cd?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:22 pm

Here you can find the SINGLE MONO MIX on CD

8)

www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/collecti ... -jp08.html

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:22 pm

agree Tony, not my fav, but I enjoy listening to it

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 pm

As noted, it's apparently the same master, but the single is MONO and its ending is slightly different due to mixing.

I know why!

King Volcano wrote:I quite like it too. The lyrics are extra-naff which maybe puts people off it?.. but none of its lyrics are as bad as that line about baking a cake in The Next Step is Love.

Correct! They are far, far worse.

That the portentous and embarrassing "Life" was released by RCA Records as an Elvis Presley single A-side in May 1971, just 21 months after the great "Suspicious Minds," a Billboard U.S. Pop #1 in November 1969, tells you all you need to know about the sad decline of a blindingly brilliant artist.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

As noted, it's apparently the same master, but the single is MONO and its ending is slightly different due to mixing.

I know why!

King Volcano wrote:I quite like it too. The lyrics are extra-naff which maybe puts people off it?.. but none of its lyrics are as bad as that line about baking a cake in The Next Step is Love.

That the portentous and embarrassing "Life" was released by RCA Records as an Elvis Presley single A-side in May 1971, just 21 months after the great "Suspicious Minds," a Billboard U.S. Pop #1 in November 1969, tells you all you need to know about the sad decline of a blindingly brilliant artist.

Really? You get embarresed by a song? Does this happen often?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:54 pm

Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I know why!

Yes. No. Never.

I am embarrassed for Elvis Presley, an artist of enormous skill, talent and influence, cutting such a terrible piece of material in the prime of his mature comeback, and for RCA Records and Presley management, who decided "Life" was a viable single A-side.

But please do not let these realities spoil your deep love for and devotion to "Life."

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I know why!

Yes. No. Never.

I am embarrassed for Elvis Presley, an artist of enormous skill, talent and influence, cutting such a terrible piece of material in the prime of his mature comeback, and for RCA Records and Presley management, who decided "Life" was a viable single A-side.

But please do not let these realities spoil your deep love for and devotion to "Life."

Don´t worry, I won´t. I have a deeper understanding and a wider taste in music than some...

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Scarre wrote:Don´t worry, I won´t. I have a deeper understanding and a wider taste in music than some...

Yes, very true. Your deep analysis of "Life" proves that.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm

IIRC, the single version can also be found on the german compilation LP "Rare Elvis, Vol. 3".

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:26 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:IIRC, the single version can also be found on the german compilation LP "Rare Elvis, Vol. 3".

Yes! And I have this LP. "Life" (single version) is a major highlight.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Single, album or box set; life's too short for 'Life'. It is an awful song. It is difficult to compare in these days where artists take an age between recordings but at that stage of his career Elvis should have have taken great care over his career choices, particularly singles. Unfortunately post 1970 they were largely poor. Ultimately we're all in charge of our resume. :D

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 pm

It took him 20 tries to complete a master...so the song must have had some
appeal for our man..

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Ciscoking wrote:It took him 20 tries to complete a master...so the song must have had some appeal for our man..

True. Much like "Don Not Disturb," back in June 1964, which went to 36 takes -- and he still was unsatisfied!!!