Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:35 am

L Ray wrote:Did a quick comparison of the old cd Afternoon In The Garden. It is still good but I think this new version is a clear winner for me. Everything seems clearer on the new CD. I hear more of what is going on. I feel like I'm there. Again it is like hearing something new that I have not heard before, even though I've listened to the old version many times. I think at least for the afternoon show, I will probably only play the new one from now on. It would be great if this guy could do the Aloha shows also.

Had time to compare my Franklin remaster to this new one for evening show. This new version puts you there. Everything is bigger, clearer, feels like I'm at the show. The Franklin one is more laid back and relaxed. That's okay but I will probably stick with the Prince version for a long time. It is just so darn exciting.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 am

L Ray wrote:
L Ray wrote:Did a quick comparison of the old cd Afternoon In The Garden. It is still good but I think this new version is a clear winner for me. Everything seems clearer on the new CD. I hear more of what is going on. I feel like I'm there. Again it is like hearing something new that I have not heard before, even though I've listened to the old version many times. I think at least for the afternoon show, I will probably only play the new one from now on. It would be great if this guy could do the Aloha shows also.

Had time to compare my Franklin remaster to this new one for evening show. This new version puts you there. Everything is bigger, clearer, feels like I'm at the show. The Franklin one is more laid back and relaxed. That's okay but I will probably stick with the Prince version for a long time. It is just so darn exciting.

I agree. Watched the footage so many times -- 'Polk' - 'Hound Dog' & 'Suspicious Minds' are stunning!
Blasting it in the kitchen on iPod...not enough room to try karate moves however during 'Suspicious Minds'...:roll:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:03 pm

This release has quite rightly received a lot of positive comments. It’s great when a product has fulfilled wishes, and offered more than expected. I hope Roger and Ernst are chuffed.

I’m sure there will also be very positive reviews from the publications Elvis The Man and His Music and Essential Elvis . That risk of scratching your discs is a criticism about the packaging, but the main thrust of this project will be appreciated by the reviewers. They certainly know class products when they see and hear it and will be free with praise.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Please let it be known across the board that mine arrived TODAY. I will not get a chance to enjoy it until the long holiday weekend, but by God it is on my shelf right this very moment.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 pm

Rob wrote:Please let it be known across the board that mine arrived TODAY. I will not get a chance to enjoy it until the long holiday weekend, but by God it is on my shelf right this very moment.

I'm pleased for you Rob, the footage is great.

Please let us know what you think of the remastered sound.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:40 pm

I'm just as disappointed with this release as I was the samples from this release. It sounds muddy, lack of separation and as someone said claustrophobic. It sounds as if some of the band is in a box, while the rest isn't. I think it failed in giving us a "you are in the 4th row" feeling. I believe adding percussive attack to the original release of Afternoon would have done the trick and made that one instantly better.

The evening show still sucks as far as sound quality goes but it is better than TCM. An amateur could have done better than this. I've heard better soundboards. Sony should ask for their money back from the guy who screwed this up.

The video is great for what it is and leaves one longing for more.

Maybe when this becomes public domain MRS will put it out the way it should have been, LOL.

P.S. Not even playing it in the car helps

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Tim

no release is ever going to be universally applauded for its mix/mastering because we all hear things slightly diiferently or prefer different presentations musically e.g. an analytical detailed approach as against a warm analogue sound. Whilst this isn't a studio style audiophile mix I have to disagree with your complete trashing of the sound. One thing it definately does do, is place you right at the front of the stadium and brings out the sheer excitement and energy of the performances. Most people would seem to agree with that.

I would have liked a broader sound stage and more clarity around some of instruments (piano for instance) but Elvis vocals are presented superbly, you hear every single phasing, nuance and breath in his sublime performances. I always thought he sounded strained on the Evening show but it's clear here that isn't so. The original just didn't do his voice justice. Here his voice sounds strong and controlled. Surely, that is worth the admission price alone? Equally, JB's guitar sounds great, again I am picking up licks that simply weren't apparent on the original. Try Never Been To Spain from the afternoon show for instance or the fuzz guitar sound on Can't Stop Loving You.

I feel like I have a much better appreciation of MSG as an event and feel like I have been transported back to 72 through this release. It's a shame that we can't all be satisfied but thats just the nature of the beast I guess. But I hope the vast majority get something positive out of the recordings.

cheers Jamie

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:10 am

Tim C wrote:I think it failed in giving us a "you are in the 4th row" feeling.

It gave me a feeling of being in the 4th row of my own living room with the entire band, backing singers and audience squeezed in as well....most uncomfortable.
Tim C wrote:I've heard better soundboards.

Good point!

Tim C wrote:P.S. Not even playing it in the car helps

Ok thanks...I suspected as much.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:05 pm

Johnny Mild wrote:Re: the DVD, surely they could've filled the black spaces with something?! And I thought the audience noise was a little overbearing.

absolutely!!! i just watched listened to this whole package tonight. interesting the 'brief' footage from June 9th shown!!
sound is excellent....but that DAMM 'black screen ' pisses me off from an otherwise excellent package.
still at least i got to see suspicious minds AND the 'action ' part on screen from PSA!!! footage also is extremely clear given its age and beautifully filmed(well apart from the 'gaps'!) 90'% excellent Sony release.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:30 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
L Ray wrote:

I agree. Watched the footage so many times -- 'Polk' - 'Hound Dog' & 'Suspicious Minds' are stunning!
Blasting it in the kitchen on iPod...not enough room to try karate moves however during 'Suspicious Minds'...:roll:

I plan to watch the DVD again in a few mins. I wish he had snuck in a few more of those 3 min. plus reels. He did a good job keeping things steady with the tripod. I would not have been so bold to try such a thing. I'm glad that he was though.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:55 pm

Rob wrote:Please let it be known across the board that mine arrived TODAY. I will not get a chance to enjoy it until the long holiday weekend, but by God it is on my shelf right this very moment.

Rob, you get up early this weekend. Make yourself some coffee, then go into your Elvis room. Lock the door, put on your headphones, then put this bad boy on! You're gonna love it!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 pm

And another very positive review ...
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/revie ... -planet-2/

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:20 am

YDKM wrote: .but that DAMM 'black screen ' pisses me off from an otherwise excellent package.

The Sony guys went over the top here.
They could have at least included an option in the menu to have all footage together.

Due to this failure the package gets a 9 out of 10.
"Near perfect that is" :wink:
Last edited by Robert on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:23 am

I'm surprised to see some of those harsh comments. I enjoyed it, period, that is, the audio of the night show, plus the DVD and I have't even made it through all of the chapters.

Tim and Mike: I'm no audiophile (although I usually agree about all the improvements still being made) but I never once thought "oh this sounds bad."

Quite the contrary.

I agree with reviewer Sinclair (link just provided above):

The CD audio in this deluxe edition has been remixed by Michael H. Brauer (mastered by Vic Anesini), the idea being to put the listener in row four of the audience, right in front of the performance. It sounds superb and vibrant. A standard two-CD version of the two Saturday shows has been released at the same time as this Prince From Another Planet deluxe edition which maintains both the original title (Elvis: As Recorded At Madison Square Garden) and the original mixes. So the Elvis fan has a choice – the original mixes are not being superseded. This is a sensible approach from RCA/Sony

Rob: have fun - I'll be digesting this and that Sun book/ CD set which still scares the hell out of me....

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:34 am

Robert wrote:
YDKM wrote: .but that DAMM 'black screen ' pisses me off from an otherwise excellent package.

The Sony guys went over the top here.
They could have at least included an option in the menu to have all footage together.

Due to this failure the package gets a 9 out of 10.
"Near perfect that is" :wink:

Yes Robert......that is now my final opinion of it. This morning on good headphones i listened to the 10/6/72 E/S.....brilliant!~. now with the closing after vamp marketing comments it runs 54 minutes and has NEVER sounded better...like Joe Guercio says on the DVD his orchestra assembled sound ABSOLUTELY SUPERB!~
if the black screen had those moments replaced with photos from the garden weekend - it would have made it far more watchable!~... as for Don Lance and his 6 x 3minute reels to film with i CAN understand why we only get the end half of PSA and Sus Minds AND just the closing vamp b4 Elvis leaves the stage, and few seconds of i'll remember you and reconsider baby.... AND why he must have used 1 whole reel for That's Allright.... the QUALITY of footage is so good and the Synchronization with vocal marvelous..... but that damm blank screen....so annoying to sit and watch i have to be doing something else while its on and only sit in front to view when Elvis can be seen- fundamentally sheer annoyance!~ :|

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:42 am

Are my eyes deceiving me or are people saying there is no direct access to the video snippets throughout the concert?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:46 am

Matthew:

As I recall, you have to put on the whole show, sit through the "black" (read: no film ) portions and wait for the clips.

Perhaps there are song chapters (I don't recall that) but you'd still have to fast-forward to the action...or sit and kind of listen to it,
read FECC or the newspaper and then look
up when you see something happening.

I'm going to have to sit there with the fast-foward. I can see more casual fans being a bit more put off.

I'm going to tackle this tonight.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 am

Matthew wrote:Are my eyes deceiving me or are people saying there is no direct access to the video snippets throughout the concert?

I think they meant the Fast Forward button on their DVD remote does not function.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:53 am

TCB-FAN wrote:I think they meant the Fast Forward button on their DVD remote does not function.

Is that a "yes" then? Are you saying the only way to get to the various pieces of footage is to either:

a) sit and watch the entire hour to chance upon the fragments of footage amongst the otherwise blank screen or
b) fast forward until you spot a fragment, back up a bit, and hit play - rinse and repeat for the next fragment?

Or can the fragments be jumped to from a menu screen?

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:00 am

Matthew wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:I think they meant the Fast Forward button on their DVD remote does not function.

Is that a "yes" then? Are you saying the only way to get to the various pieces of footage is to either:

a) sit and watch the entire hour to chance upon the fragments of footage amongst the otherwise blank screen or
b) fast forward until you spot a fragment, back up a bit, and hit play - rinse and repeat for the next fragment?

There's no menu option to watch the full footage.
The only downside of the package as far as I'm concerned.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:00 am

Matthew wrote:

Yep.

They did spoil us though by providing chapter marks. :lol:

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:04 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Yep.

They did spoil us though by providing chapter marks. :lol:

I'm still trying to find the magic easter egg on the menu screen where it will magically take me back to Kansas and will allow me to watch all of the footage without any blanks.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:21 am

Matthew wrote:

The answer is yes to both a) and b)

The fragments cannot be directly accessed from a menu screen, nor is there a separate section set aside purely for songs featuring footage. Very poor and unimaginative design I'm afraid.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:25 am

Someone described how these projects have relatively short time frames in terms of planning and execution.

I'll grant all that, but it's a minor demerit. Presumably the hard-core Elvis fan world will pick up the slack to improve
this set. Given that it's 2012, I'm shocked we even have such a release at all, so I'll take it.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:46 am

Jaime:

I think the sound is better here on the evening show than the original releases, but not to the point where I thought his voice sounded strained before and now it sounds strong and controlled. This sounds fuller to me than before but all this, "It's like the first time I've heard it" excitement is a little over the top for me.

The evening show was a great concert before and this release enhances it even more.