Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Vote Elvis on Top 77 All-Time Songs- RadioRewound

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Rewound Radio counts down the Top 77 live on December 26th then play them back
(and those that missed the list) between Christmas and New Years.

Will "Hey Jude" win it all again this year? How about surprises like "Waterloo Sunset"?
Another big year for the 5th Dimension? It's all up to you, the listeners who vote!

Vote NOW!!

http://www.musicradio77.com/voting2012.html

http://rewoundradio.com/
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Vote for Elvis:Top 77 Songs of All-Time Song Survey

Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:37 pm

i voted

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Voted.

Brian

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:11 pm

I voted too. My choices are:

Song/Artist 1: Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley (1969)
Song/Artist 2: Burning Love - Elvis Presley (1956)
Song/Artist 3: Always On My Mind - Elvis Presley (1985)
Song/Artist 4: Hound Dog - Elvis Presley (1956)
Song/Artist 5: Promised Land - Elvis Presley (1974)
Song/Artist 6: If I Can Dream - Elvis Presley (1969)
Song/Artist 7: Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley (1962)

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 pm

the top 77 elvis songs from '77...

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:59 pm

don't really care about pointless polls

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:50 am

I voted as well.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:51 pm

I voted, my choices as follows.

Hound Dog
Jailhouse Rock
Suspicious Minds
Little Sister
All Shook Up
A Big Hunk O' Love

My comments in the comments box as follows.

All titles by the man who influenced (directly or indirectly) all who followed - the king!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:21 am

Elvisgirl wrote:don't really care about pointless polls

Pointless to you, but "Rewound Radio" has a growing worldwide listenership for fans of vintage pop music from the '50s through about 1980. I swear by their weekly Saturday broadcast of vintage rare shows or tapes of classic DJ's of the golden age of radio.

Plus, their radio specials are innovative and deep and often play stuff you never hear but never lose that great sound of oldies radio without all the repetition.

LIke many here, I do care about how Elvis is remembered and it's nice to have us contribute to the poll . They actually put it to use.
They do actually play that Top 77 every year and it's a blast to hear. It also recalls the great year end "surveys" that New York's WABC used to
play at the end of the year, along with many other similiar Top 40 stations around the U.S.

If Fifth Dimension and Beatles fans are active, why not speak up on our end? It takes five minutes to complete.

I happen to know many Elvis fans who have passed and I realize that Elvis'
core fandom is "aging" as they say, so here's a chance to say again that Elvis mattered.

I'm tempted to pick somewhat slightly less well-remembered number one Elvis hits in the hopes that they crack the chart!

Thanks for voting, folks!
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:54 am

Voted, Greg!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:06 am

I voted Greg. I picked two of seven Elvis- "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Can't Help Falling in Love." My other choices were "Save the Last Dance for Me" by the Drifters, "The Wanderer" by Dion, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" by the Righteous Brothers, "In the Still of the Nite" by the Five Satins, and "Billie Jean" by MJ.

Remind us when the countdown takes place. I love listening to those things.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 am

likethebike wrote:I voted Greg. I picked two of seven Elvis- "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Can't Help Falling in Love." My other choices were "Save the Last Dance for Me" by the Drifters, "The Wanderer" by Dion, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" by the Righteous Brothers, "In the Still of the Nite" by the Five Satins, and "Billie Jean" by MJ.

Remind us when the countdown takes place. I love listening to those things.

Glad to hear it, LTB. I was also tempted to vote for few other acts that seem to be slipping out of the picture, but may be inclined to just make a big push for Elvis.

If you review previous charts, you get a sense of who's out there and voting. More on that another time.

What's neat is that the station has an application for an iphone or ipad or just your basic windows media player. I recommend it as it's a deep
play list. I recently got one of those Auxiliary cables so I can play it in the car, which is just fantastic - especially on Saturday's at Noon.

Yes, you hear the big hits but they take pride in playing, say, non-#1's by big acts like the Supremes or one hit wonders who
are ignored in today's oldies market that barely play pre-1980 hits anymore. They'll play '50s and '60s and it's a nice mix. I like to
play it around my kids in the summertime : no commericals (except vintage ones during specials) as I school them in older
music but also I learn a lot
of often forgotten hits I rarely heard or never hear or anymore.

This weekend that had some nice oldies from a Chicago legend back in 1974, '80 and so on. Nice to hear the regional flavor and those
great old radio voices. At the time, they were playing even modern rock hits along side Buddy Holly and such.

For Thanksgiving, REWOUND RADIO Is having a big "all-'60s" special. I hope to vote for some more obscure Elvis singles:

By the way, be fun: Rewound Radio's "All 60's No Repeat Weekend ."..
over the four day Thanksgiving Weekend.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:59 am

I voted, without apology or explanation. (It's clear I was stacking the deck, so why excuse it? But I have no regrets.)

Song/Artist 1: "If I Can Dream" - Elvis Presley
Song/Artist 2: "Can't Help Falling In Love" - Elvis Presley
Song/Artist 3: "Hound Dog" - Elvis Presley
Song/Artist 4: "That's All Right Mama" - Elvis Presley
Song/Artist 5: "Mystery Train" - Elvis Presley
Song/Artist 6: "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley
Song/Artist 7: "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley

rjm

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:don't really care about pointless polls

+999,999+1

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:35 am

Well, it is a broadcast, Mr. Promiseland, that is heard internationally , albeit on a relatively small (as it all is today.)

A lot of us care how Elvis is remembered and history is always in flux. Besides, it's fun, expecially if you're
old enough to remember countdowns back when they were a big deal.

Why take such glee? Just don't participate...but please do sometime try to check out the station if you're into the
music of the era Elvis was recording...
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:41 am

Hello,

I understand both sides of the argument. Elvis has enough statistics already to cement his own place in music history. I don't think that will ever change. But at the same time, rewound radio is a great site to listen to oldies. Heck, I was listening to it one time and they played "Raised On Rock" which shocked me. I guess in today's enviroment with downloads and ipods and ipads, etc. anyone with a deep music collection could put together a program like this, though I must say that some of the classic radio airchecks are great too.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 am

That's just it, Daryl. Most of the internet polls are hard to justify unless they are really high-profile.
I'll give Promisedland the benefit of the doubt that he's just not famliar with this station.

What's neat about this station is that they've really taken to heart playing old radio air-checks each
Saturday, plus a live DJ that follows who takes requests, more or less anything that charted in some
way from the '50s to about 1980. I've done my share of radio and like most of the pre-I-Pod generation,
radio was the format that first reached us.

Apparently some of the requests are then later added to the "computer" for lack of a better term,
so if you do an outside request of say, "Raised on Rock" or another single that was less of a smash hit,
it usually gets added into the mix. So I find listening to it regularly like a regular station, I'm learning
a lot of new music - new to me...be it obsure Motown hits, one-hit wonders, as well as the more familiar
sprinkled in like any oldies station. I took pleasure in reviewing Elvis' sixties singles , tossing out some
of what I feel are the more mundane early '60s efforts, and added "shoulda been hits" like BIG BOSS MAN and
others that should be represented, by their own standard..."as long it charted somewhere in the '60s.
I recall throwing in "Rubberneckin'" as it did chart as a B-side in some way apparently, as well as things
like "You'll Never Walk Alone" as it charted around Easter when it was first issued. (In fact, in a
recent re-broadcast of an old air check from April of that year, I was pleased to hear that very single on a pop
radio station..might have been WABC in New York...

They've even gone so far as to add newly-taped radio station bumpers done by the same outfit in Dallas that
did all the old jingles nationwide in the glory years of pop radio.

Friday nights has a quirky all-request show that plays odd-b-sides and what not and is an acquired taste
but is worth checking out.

I'm enjoying the '60s four-day holiday special as it really drives home the depth of music recorded in one time-span.
I was only around for the last year but love to fill in the blanks of stuff I've heard over the years plus stuff
that rarely gets notice just because oldies stations shy away from somewhat-lesser smash hits or stuff that didn't crack the Top Ten
or even Top 15. It's a reminder of all the great stuff that simmered just below the surface.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:55 am

Hi Greg,

I don't know about you, but looking at the clip on youtube of when WABC as a music station changed format in 1982 is sad.

phpBB [video]

One of my favorite oldies stations was WBIG 100.3 in Washington, D.C. They've changed their format now but they used to play some great oldies.

I must say, it be like a kid in a candy store to have gone through WABC's music archives back then. I live in a rural area, and to me it seems that even in the last ten to fifteen years, the oldies format on both FM and AM radio has pretty much fallen off the airwaves, replaced by talk-radio. I'm sorry but I just hate talk-radio anymore. It's pretty much the same blow-hards talking about the same thing for days on end. It doesn't matter if it's political talk or sports talk radio, to me it's pretty much the same. I used to listen a good bit to Tony Kornheiser's show when he was on ESPN radio. Only because he had that old-school style of radio in that he didn't just talk about sports but about other things such as music, politics and everything in between. He used to do this bit on his show, I think it was called "Old Guy Radio," where he would play some music from a 60's musical act and talk about them a little throughout his show, even if they only had one or two hits. Tony and ESPN eventually split. The blowhards that sports-talk radio has now are annoying, to say the least. Jim Rome and Colin Cowherd come immediately to mind. Jim Rome has bounced around so much, it ain't funny. I first heard of him when he had his talk show on television on ESPN2. Then he called Los Angeles Rams QB Jim Everett by the wrong name, referring to him as Chris Everett, the female tennis player. Jim Everett nearly went apeshit on him on television. Rome and ESPN eventually split and he ended up with Premiere Radio Network and then Fox Sports and then back to ESPN. I don't know where he's at anymore. I simply lost track. Colin Cowherd is just plain annoying as all hell. But one of the worst ones I ever heard was a local guy in the Norfolk / Chesapeake / Portsmouth / Hampton Roads / Virginia Beach, VA area was a guy by the name of Tony Mercurio. A few years back they used to give him the late afternoon gig after all the ESPN Radio sports talk shows were pretty much done for the day. Listening to this guy, trying to picture what he must look like, he sounded as if he were a 300 lb. plus obese man who practically ate anything in sight and wore shorts and a t-shirt to work. He was obnoxious and condescending to just about everyone on his own show. One day I looked him up on Google and that is exactly what he was.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... y+Mercurio

I guess this past May, he was finally let go on his radio show.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/05/longtim ... espn-radio

I'm not that much into political talk, so it usually gets tuned to something else rather quickly. It doesn't matter if it's on radio or television. To me, some of the worst in political talk are Rush Limbaugh, Bill Maher, Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity and Keith Olbermann. Olbermann used to be pretty good if he had just stuck to sports. I guess the question should be who really are the great radio personalities any more in sports and political talk. I think we all would have been better off, somehow, if oldies had been kept as a mainstream radio format. Greg, I think it's great that you play http://www.rewoundradio.com with children around. It gives them an appreciation for music that came a generation or two before them. What amazes me is that Elvis' music can still appeal to even the youngest of generations today. I think the oldies format is probably one of the safest formats that can be played without offending someone. And the music is just the cherry on top.

Daryl

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Voted........ 8) 8) 8)

Re: On Now:Elvis on Top 77 All-Time Songs- RadioRewound

Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:57 pm

It's on NOW, folks!

And replayed in other shows leading up New Year's but the countdown is fun to hear
with the commentary.

Daryl- thanks for your thoughts on the state of radio. Having done my share of it over the years (on two university / community stations) as well as being a long-time listener going back to my youth in New York (77 WABC and 66 WNBC, etc.), it's in a shambles since the Clinton-era in particular. This is when many of the stations nationwide were allowed to be snapped up by big national conglomerates, after years of restrictions that allowed locallly-owned stations to prosper.

I do enjoy letting my kids grow up hearing all the great music of the 50s onward and a dash of even 30s and 40s but I realize eventually they'll be on their own. It's a great foundation. You're right: lots of great sound clips ("air checks" ) to get lost on that WABC site. Plus every Saturday they play many of those at Saturday at noon, plus other stations from back then.

The late Ron Lundy (shown in that '82 sign-off) was one of my faves growing up (along with Dan Ingram). By the way, he was Memphis-born and retired to Mississippi but became one of the signature voices of New York City radio. He is immortalized in "Midnight Cowboy" in a scene on a city bus as the character arrives in New York" "hello, luv!" etc. This sort of top 40 hit radio with funny and engaged DJs is largely gone now but you can catch an echo of it here and there.

He later returned to local radio on WCBS for many years before retiring.

Yes, oldies radio has really moved on, either largely dropped or hard-pressed to play pre-1980 music, which is just absurd. You'll hear (the same) '60s hit, a whole lot of the uptempo '70s stuff (way too much K.C and the Sunshine Band on New York's WCBS) but also a lot of stuff from the '80s that I just can't get nostalgic over yet. It's all a tight-play list of overly-familiar number one hits that deserve more time on the shelf while other lesser-known hits get a hearing. That's one of the charms of Rewound Radio: a deeper-playlist, without losing the familiar feel necessary to oldies radio as a format.

I do have Satellite Radio (Sirius / XM) and even though it's for pay (and for now, only in my car) I have to say the 40s, '50s ,'60s and '70s channels are fantastic , with usually deep playlists and good and familiar DJ's like Cousin Brucie. (Oddly they bow to the notion that "the Beatles changed everything" by making the '50s channel play everything up to about '64, which creates sort of a fictional 1960s as a result and cordons off a lot of great rock and roll into the '50s "ghetto" instead of showing the continuity across arbitrary decade lines.

I'm enjoying the Top 77 countdown and it's good to see "Suspicious Minds" this year is up to something like #35 after not chartling last year and surpassing "Can't Help Falling In Love" already, last year's top Elvis track. More to come, as they've already said "lots of Elvis" charted this year. Thanks, folks.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Yeah Greg- The Satellite radio is great but does tend to segregate everything. On the '64 split, I was once listening to the '60s station and a woman was chastised by the DJ for requesting the Angels' "My Boyfriend's Back." She was told if she wanted to hear that she had to call the '50s stations. Gosh I bet she never guessed that 1963 was actually in the 1950s.

Where you can hear some great oldies on the air is AM 740 out of Toronto. It covers 28 states and almost all of Canada and could be heard on am740.ca online. It doesn't just stick to rock n' roll. It covers Broadway, pop, easy listening and even blues.

PS- Fact based Keith Olbermann belongs in no comparison with the likes of fantasists like Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter or idiots like Bill O'Reilly. There's a kind of a tendency to make false equivalents between the two sides of the opinion fence. When a flame thrower talks out of her ass like Ann Coulter it is not the equivalent to a heavily referenced piece, drawing on actual logic by Keith Olbermann on the other side. It's not.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:30 pm

likethebike wrote:Yeah Greg- The Satellite radio is great but does tend to segregate everything. On the '64 split, I was once listening to the '60s station and a woman was chastised by the DJ for requesting the Angels' "My Boyfriend's Back." She was told if she wanted to hear that she had to call the '50s stations. Gosh I bet she never guessed that 1963 was actually in the 1950s.

Where you can hear some great oldies on the air is AM 740 out of Toronto. It covers 28 states and almost all of Canada and could be heard on am740.ca online. It doesn't just stick to rock n' roll. It covers Broadway, pop, easy listening and even blues.

PS- Fact based Keith Olbermann belongs in no comparison with the likes of fantasists like Sean Hannity or Ann Coulter or idiots like Bill O'Reilly. There's a kind of a tendency to make false equivalents between the two sides of the opinion fence. When a flame thrower talks out of her ass like Ann Coulter it is not the equivalent to a heavily referenced piece, drawing on actual logic by Keith Olbermann on the other side. It's not.

I like Olbermann...I really do...he is factual...I do recall several years ago when he would appear regularly on Dan Patrick's radio show that he made a big stink about former Negro Leagues baseball player John "Buck" O'Neill not being inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Then, if I remember correctly, O'Neill died. O'Neil would routinely come to Pittsburgh games and would appear on the local telecasts, usually with both teams sporting throwback Negro League baseball jerseys, and talk with the regular broadcast team about the Negro Leagues. I don't know if his career numbers in the Negro Leagues warranted an induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame, but, nonetheless, he was a great ambassador to the history of the Negro Leagues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_O'Neil

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Sorry this is rather late (today is the last day of voting) but for those of you inclined, please vote now for Elvis songs !

Last year, thanks to your input, it seemed Elvis did spike slightly in the voting and I thought it was a nice counterpoint to the dominance of '60s-based bands that seemed to over-populate the survey.

See links below!

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Voted

Song/Artist 1: Can't Help Falling In Love - Elvis Presley (1962)
Song/Artist 2: Hound Dog - Elvis Presley (1956)
Song/Artist 3: Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley (1956)
Song/Artist 4: All Shook Up - Elvis Presley (1957)
Song/Artist 5: Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley (1957)
Song/Artist 6: It's Now Or Never - Elvis Presley (1960)
Song/Artist 7: A Big Hunk O' Love - Elvis Presley (1959)

Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:33 am

Well-done, Brad. I had a similar list which I'll post later.

Folks, you can still vote ... as I see the poll is still working at this hour!

::rocks