Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Best live version of Help me make it through the night.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:58 pm

I see it's on Southern Nights, but I'm thinking an earlier version may be better.

Re: Best live version of Help me make it through the night.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 pm

While I prefer the studio master, I enjoy this one from December 1975... can be heard on the FTD Dinner at Eight...

phpBB [video]

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 pm

elvis-fan wrote:While I prefer the studio master, I enjoy this one from December 1975... can be heard on the FTD Dinner at Eight...

phpBB [video]

How is that show overall?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Bobc wrote:How is that show overall?

The show is outstanding with excellent versions of And I Love You So, Trying To Get To You, Softly As I Leave You, America (both released by RCA in 1978/77) and a short run-through, but still entertaining version of Wooden Heart.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:57 pm

elvis-fan wrote:

The show is outstanding with excellent versions of And I Love You So, Trying To Get To You, Softly As I Leave You, America (both released by RCA in 1978/77) and a short run-through, but still entertaining version of Wooden Heart.

Softly As I Leave You and America from this show isnt the same as the ones released in late 70s by RCA.
(But they are from the same date)

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 am

Bobc wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:While I prefer the studio master, I enjoy this one from December 1975... can be heard on the FTD Dinner at Eight...

phpBB [video]

How is that show overall?

The Midnight show is much better. To me Elvis never knocks HMMITTN out of the park. He's always a bit lazy on it, even on the studio versions. Not a favorite of mine.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:08 am

i got to say the February 19 1971 performance, this version also being the only with the original intro

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:09 am

None of Elvis' recordings do the song justice, but he did it better live than in the studio. Some of the 1973 performances are OK.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:35 am

phpBB [video]

that's a very good performance

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:37 pm

19 Feb 1971 is a fantastic version, although I also really like the Tahoe May 13th 1973 LS version, because of the way the key is raised near the end of the song. Always gives me goosebumps.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:None of Elvis' recordings do the song justice, but he did it better live than in the studio. Some of the 1973 performances are OK.

Like Callaghan says:Opinions are like arseholes.................

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:35 pm

TCK_KING wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Softly As I Leave You and America from this show isnt the same as the ones released in late 70s by RCA.
(But they are from the same date)

You are correct... my bad :smt023

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:None of Elvis' recordings do the song justice, but he did it better live than in the studio.

Agreed. The studio version is shockingly lifeless, even by 1971 standards.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:None of Elvis' recordings do the song justice, but he did it better live than in the studio. Some of the 1973 performances are OK.

No one in the world of entertainment, has ever, in the history of music, done this song justice.
We are still waiting for a definitive version.
I did hear a chick do an OK version back in 2010.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 am

I go for the early 1971 performances as well. 2-19-71 may be the best post TTWII Vegas show.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Whether or not Elvis did the song justice is a very subjective issue. I like the master and most of the live versions, which I rank amongst my favorites in any playlist.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Alexander wrote:

Whether or not Elvis did the song justice is a very subjective issue. I like the master and most of the live versions, which I rank amongst my favorites in any playlist.

And that is the best version.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:16 pm

elvis-fan wrote:

Also check out the show on Dec 14th that was included with the book "Fashion for a King". 80 minutes long and Elvis in good form and spirits.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:25 pm

I think the master is fantastic!! I have never heard a live version that comes close. The power in the B sections and the vulnerability in the verses. I always thought he sounded in great focus and control on this particular track. Not a hallmark of those sessions I understand.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Whether in concert or in studio, it bores me to tears.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:29 pm

i agree......but Portland 73' and Nashville 73' are pretty good live versions. :lol:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:40 pm

What about Atlanta, July 3, 1973 ES..?

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.co ... finale.htm

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Me likes it.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:22 am

Here's a great performance (from February 1971) that precedes his studio recording from May of that year... linked from Cisco and Jordan's site...

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.com/cds/audio/stream/live_in_las_vegas_cdr/26.ram

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:40 am

Revelator wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:None of Elvis' recordings do the song justice, but he did it better live than in the studio.

Agreed. The studio version is shockingly lifeless, even by 1971 standards.

It's another example of how much he was straying from his own talent, and ability to select the right song.