Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Latest Elvis UK Sales Update - Official charts Co.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:31 pm

As part of their 60 years celebrations, the Official Chart Co. have updated their UK stats on Elvis.

The highlights are:

21 No.1s.

21.7 Million singles sold.

5.7 M albums in the last decade.

2.2 M singles in the last decade [includes 1.3 M digital download tracks]

317,000 albums in the last 18 months.

333,000 digital download tracks in the last 18 months.

So his sales are still holding up, even though his records don't appear in the charts much lately !

Re: Latest Elvis UK Sales Update - Official charts Co.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Nice stats, thanks.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:10 pm

Obviously, they don't bear any resemblance to true sales, which is a shame if people get the impression that they're accurate totals for Elvis, but still good to see.

21.7m single sales in total? I'd have thought he'd have achieved that by the mid 60's!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm

....and add to that all the FTD's and bootlegs.......... :)

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:22 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Obviously, they don't bear any resemblance to true sales, which is a shame if people get the impression that they're accurate totals for Elvis, but still good to see.

21.7m single sales in total? I'd have thought he'd have achieved that by the mid 60's!

Are you saying they're too high or too low ?

As for that 21.7M singles figure - The Beatles are the only ones with a higher figure, & then only just.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 pm

cool :smt023

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:05 pm

ColinB wrote:As part of their 60 years celebrations, the Official Chart Co. have updated their UK stats on Elvis.

The highlights are:

21 No.1s.

So his sales are still holding up, even though his records don't appear in the charts much lately !

But remember that the vast majority of the total for the last eighteen months would be budget collections on public domain labels that can be picked up for a couple of pounds each

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
ColinB wrote:As part of their 60 years celebrations, the Official Chart Co. have updated their UK stats on Elvis.

The highlights are:

21 No.1s.

But remember that the vast majority of the total for the last eighteen months would be budget collections on public domain labels that can be picked up for a couple of pounds each

But they are not - there are no official figure for what you are talking about anywhere.

Better to concentrate on the missing numbers for earlier years and establish where the official charts got thair figures for as it wasn't from RCA/BGM or Sony

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 am

[quoteAre you saying they're too high or too low ?

As for that 21.7M singles figure - The Beatles are the only ones with a higher figure, & then only just.
][/quote]

I'd have thought that to be on the low side Colin. If you think of the sheer quantity of singles Elvis had, plus the amount some of them sold. Not just in the 50's either - songs like Wonder Of You and My Boy charted really well here in the UK.
I'd have thought it closer to 30m or so over the last 50 odd years. Do we know where the figures come from?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:50 am

The figures came from the OCC. I remember at the time they came out a few years ago when the figure was around 20m that they were disputed(and other artists totals) on various forums. Main point being that the OCC estimated Elvis's sales as they didn't have data for a lot of his singles, certainly for his 50's output and the record company stated they didn't release any sales data they had to OCC.
It is mostly guesstimates, I would think he's more than 22m in single sales. He had 17 no1's(almost) in his lifetime with 77 top tens overall with half a dozen or so at no2.

These allegedly being some of his biggest sellers according to UKMIX-. Figures apparently used by OCC according to the site.
It's Now or Never-1.27m
Jailhouse Rock -880k
Are You Lonesome-880k
CHFIL-830K
Way Down- 830k
The Wonder of You-800k

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 am

DarrylMac wrote:Obviously, they don't bear any resemblance to true sales, which is a shame if people get the impression that they're accurate totals for Elvis, but still good to see.

I would have thought the same. I'm often surprised by reported totals of his record sales. If I'm not mistaken, Elvis's Golden Records album released in 1958 is shown as 6x Platinum. I would have thought it would have reached that in the 60s as well.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:31 am

showfan wrote:

I would have thought the same. I'm often surprised by reported totals of his record sales. If I'm not mistaken, Elvis's Golden Records album released in 1958 is shown as 6x Platinum. I would have thought it would have reached that in the 60s as well.

but that's an album, the 21.7m sales refer to singles

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:57 am

poormadpeter wrote:
showfan wrote:

but that's an album, the 21.7m sales refer to singles

That's true. I still would have thought it higher, but that's based on nothing other than my thoughts, so I guess I'll have to go with the stats.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
ColinB wrote:Are you saying they're too high or too low ?

I'd have thought that to be on the low side Colin. If you think of the sheer quantity of singles Elvis had, plus the amount some of them sold. Not just in the 50's either - songs like Wonder Of You and My Boy charted really well here in the UK.
I'd have thought it closer to 30m or so over the last 50 odd years.
Do we know where the figures come from?

Where they get the figures from for these things is always a mystery !

If it's any help, Roger Semon states, in the booklet that accompanies the "Hits of the 70's" release, that Elvis has sold
"over 20 million singles in the UK to date".

So it looks like he supports the 21.7 M figure, even if he didn't supply it !

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:22 pm

The recent sales & downloads show the king's still relevant. I'm confused why they arent a true resemblance to sales???

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:42 pm

He already held the record for longest span of UK hit albums, but he's improved on it !

According to my reckoning, it now stands at:

56 years 21 days.

From Rock 'n' Roll [w/e 3rd November, 1956] to Prince From Another Planet [w/e 24th November, 2012]

For this, an album has to reach the UK Top 75 Album Chart.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:13 am

Here are some more Elvis Presley UK stats of interest.

Singles:

Most Number 1s
This, possibly the most important record, is held by Elvis Presley. He has had 21 chart-toppers
Artist with Most Weeks at Number 1
It's Elvis Presley. He has topped the chart for a total of 80 weeks (as of w/e 5th Feb 2005).
Longest Span of Number 1 Singles
47 years, 6 months and 23 days. Held by Elvis Presley. His first number 1 was "All Shook Up" in 1957 (w/e 13th June). His most recent chart-topper was the re-issue of "It's Now Or Never" in 2005 (w/e 5th Feb).
Fastest Hat-Trick of Number 1s
A one-a-week series of re-issued Elvis Presley singles in 2005 enabled him to have three different chart-toppers in just four weeks; ("Jailhouse Rock" w/e 15th Jan; "One Night" / "I Got Stung" w/e 22nd Jan; "It's Now Or Never" w/e 5th Feb).
Self-Replacement At Number One
Elvis Presley (Jan 2005) "Jailhouse Rock" replaced by "One Night" / "I Got Stung."
Most Weeks Spent on The Top 40
1060 by Elvis Presley (last there w/e 15th Dec 2007 with the re-issue of "Burning Love")
Longest Span of Hits
Overall, the most durable artist is Elvis Presley on 51 years, 7 months 6 days [2692 weeks] ("Heartbreak Hotel", w/e 12th May 1956 to the re-issue of "Burning Love" w/e 15th Dec 2007).
Longest Continuous Run in The Top 40 by an Artist
135 weeks by Elvis Presley. From July 1960 ("A Mess Of Blues") until Feb 1963 (when "Return To Sender" left the chart) - a total of 12 hits.
Most Top 10 Hits
Elvis Presley has had most Top 10 hits (76 as of May 2005).

Albums

Album with Most Weeks At Number One (in total)
Top solo album is Elvis Presley's "G.I. Blues" (22 weeks)
Album with Most Weeks At Number One (consecutive)
Top solo album is Elvis Presley's "Blue Hawaii" (17 weeks)
Longest Continuous Stay in The Album Chart by An Artist
Longest run in the Top 40 for a soloist is 171 weeks; Elvis Presley from "Elvis' Golden Records Volume 2" (16th Jun 1960) to "It Happened At The World's Fair (OST)" (19th Sep 1963).
Artist with Most Number 1 Albums
Top solo artists, with 11 each, are Elvis Presley (as of Aug 2007) and Madonna with 11 (as of Oct 2009)
Artist with Most Top 10 Albums
Elvis Presley with 49 (as of Aug 2007)
Artist with Most Top 40 Albums
Elvis Presley has had 77 Top 40 albums (as of Oct 2007)
Artist with Most Simultaneous Top 40 Albums
Elvis Presley. In the week ending 10th Sep 1977, shortly after his death, Elvis had twelve albums in the Top 40, occupying positions 1, 4, 7, 12, 14, 20, 21, 26, 27, 30, 37, 38.
Artist with Most Weeks at Number 1 in the Album Chart
Top solo artist is Elvis Presley with 63 weeks at the summit (as of w/e 25th Aug 2007).
Artist with Most Weeks in the Album Top 40
Elvis Presley; 989 weeks (as of w/e 20th Oct 2007).
First Album To Enter At Number 1
The first to enter at Number 1 in the established chart was Elvis Presley's soundtrack to the film "Loving You" in Sep 1957
Longest Span Of Album Chart-Toppers
Elvis Presley; 50 years, 9 months and 15 days. From "Elvis Is Back" (w/e 10th Nov 1956) to "The King" (w/e 25th Aug 2007)
Longest Span Of Hit Albums
Elvis Presley; 50 years, 11 months and 17 days. From "Rock 'N' Roll" (w/e 3rd Nov 1956) to "The King" (w/e 20th Oct 2007)