Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Hey Jude: A new appreciation; did we underestimate it?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:05 pm

That is one of the funniest things posted on FECC in a LONG time.

Can you run "My Boy" through that software for us? :D

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:13 pm

You argued that it was in tune.

Most others argued it was out of tune.

Computer software shows that majority was right.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm

poormadpeter wrote:You argued that it was in tune.

Wrong. Yet again, you fail to read with care. Have you noticed how often you do this? It is irritating.

A few claim Elvis is singing flat throughout his recording of "Hey Jude." I have stated -- many times -- that this is incorrect, and his singing is not only true, but the way he shapes the notes is intentional.

Hope this helps.

Have you had a chance to run "My Boy" through that software yet? Can you also do the same for "Harem Holiday" and maybe "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"? :D

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:That is one of the funniest things posted on FECC in a LONG time.

This is one for the ages. I'm still smiling. :D :D

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 pm

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:That is one of the funniest things posted on FECC in a LONG time.

This is one for the ages. I'm still smiling. :D :D

Another reason FECC is #1!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:You argued that it was in tune.

Wrong. Yet again, you fail to read with care. Have you noticed how often you do this? It is irritating.

A few claim Elvis is singing flat throughout his recording of "Hey Jude." I have stated -- many times -- that this is incorrect, and his singing is not only true, but the way he shapes the notes is intentional.

Hope this helps.

Have you had a chance to run "My Boy" through that software yet? Can you also do the same for "Harem Holiday" and maybe "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"? :D

He shapes the notes, yes. All singers do. But they don't sing them out of tune. The picture shows quite clearly that, for all the shaping in the world, he never actually reaches the notes he is aiming for. Singing a D when the band is playing D sharp is NEVER something that would have been intended. Unless your name is Schoenberg or Webern.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 pm

poormadpeter wrote:He shapes the notes, yes. All singers do. But they don't sing them out of tune. The picture shows quite clearly that, for all the shaping in the world, he never actually reaches the notes he is aiming for.

It just gets better and better. :D

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:42 pm

A "perfect" take isn´t always the most exciting. One example is Long black limousine, where Elvis clearly cracks up at one point (A chauffeur, a chauffeur at the wheel dressed up so fine)...and some producers could have asked for another take, but to me, this "mistake" makes it all totally magic. That said, Hey Jude is not close to LBL, and I also prefer Beatles original recording, but Elvis´ version has it´s charm.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:18 am

I usually enjoy Elvis's version of "Hey Jude," though I cringe whenever he mangles the lyrics. The arrangement is good too. Elvis's high vocal is sweet and you can hear the affection for the song and its subject in its voice. It makes me wish a serious version had been attempted, but I can't blame Chips for having his priorities elsewhere (though one can blame RCA for pretending the song was ready for primetime). The "na-na" coda doesn't really work here, since Elvis doesn't let himself go, but it's more bearable than the stiff and silly version Elvis used to incongruously close "Yesterday"--one of the rare missteps in his 1969 concerts.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:43 am

Revelator wrote:I usually enjoy Elvis's version of "Hey Jude," though I cringe whenever he mangles the lyrics. The arrangement is good too. Elvis's high vocal is sweet and you can hear the affection for the song and its subject in its voice. It makes me wish a serious version had been attempted, but I can't blame Chips for having his priorities elsewhere (though one can blame RCA for pretending the song was ready for primetime). The "na-na" coda doesn't really work here, since Elvis doesn't let himself go, but it's more bearable than the stiff and silly version Elvis used to incongruously close "Yesterday"--one of the rare missteps in his 1969 concerts.

I have to agree with most - maybe all - of what you have written here, Revelator, and especially that.

To me, the song is mostly a curiosity which I neither actively like nor dislike. I have never particularly thought Elvis sings it out of tune but more that he is using his voice in a form of mimicry, as he did with a couple of songs at the MDQ session in December 1956.

Steve Morse

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 am

Steve Morse wrote: have never particularly thought Elvis sings it out of tune but more that he is using his voice in a form of mimicry, as he did with a couple of songs at the MDQ session in December 1956.

+1

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:46 am

Revelator wrote:I usually enjoy Elvis's version of "Hey Jude," though I cringe whenever he mangles the lyrics. The arrangement is good too. Elvis's high vocal is sweet and you can hear the affection for the song and its subject in its voice. It makes me wish a serious version had been attempted, but I can't blame Chips for having his priorities elsewhere (though one can blame RCA for pretending the song was ready for primetime). The "na-na" coda doesn't really work here, since Elvis doesn't let himself go, but it's more bearable than the stiff and silly version Elvis used to incongruously close "Yesterday"--one of the rare missteps in his 1969 concerts.

Agree. In fact, Elvis never should have done any Beatles songs live. They just didnt work well with the big stage, singers, orchestra, etc. I bet he could have recorded a killer studio version of Lady Madonna if he wanted to though. Another missed chance.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:47 am

r&b wrote:

Agree. In fact, Elvis never should have done any Beatles songs live. They just didnt work well with the big stage, singers, orchestra, etc. I bet he could have recorded a killer studio version of Lady Madonna if he wanted to though. Another missed chance.

Yes, he should have always relied on the Olivia Newton-John songbook for his covers.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

Yes, he should have always relied on the Olivia Newton-John songbook for his covers.

I would give anything if he would have covered "Have You Never Be Mellow" so that we could have ran it through poormadpeters "Hey Jude Software" !! :lol:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:14 pm

OMG! I hadn't kept following it. pmp, did you BUY this software, for ONE song??? Was it expensive? I mean . . . can you imagine Elvis, had he lived, seeing this? A vocal he probably totally forget that he did almost 44 years ago. And it was a just a kick-around throw-away thing. I don't care if they did other takes, he was just having fun. It was a big record at the time, and people were speculating as to what it meant and all that. And Elvis just sang whatever words flew into his head.

You know, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, understand. But if you paid MONEY for that, just to make this point about this song, well, Elvis sang "Dontcha know that it's a fool who plays it cool, in taking the world upon his shoulders." Gosh, it's not even "the world."

You folks don't have Thanksgiving over there, so holiday jitters doesn't explain it. I mean, if the Americans on the board are touchy right now, it might be because of the whole intense "family" week, which is difficult for some families . . . you know the drill. (I love it, personally, because we don't get many chances to be together. But it's very tense for some folks.)

I say this with great respect. But it's really funny! I'm sorry. I'm really sorry, but using that program is funny! I'm sorry.

rjm
UPDATE. Hope you were able to do this with the "free trial." Because that software is $500!!!!! It's funny, but it's . . . oh, dear!

Well, look, since you have it, do "Paradise, Hawaiian Style." You do take requests, right? :smt003 :mrgreen: (That is TOO mean! But I can't believe . . .)

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:I have always liked the book, but I don't think Walker always got it right.

But of course my reference is not to the songs Matthew-Walker supports or denigrates, but to the fact that his deep knowledge of music enables him to immediately detect a vocal that is flat, or sharp.

In the case of "Hey Jude" it would be unmissable if Presley is singing "painfully flat throughout." He is not, and that is why nothing is said by the author, an expert in the field of music theory.

Anyone who misses this point needs to take a class in reading comprehension.

Anyone who doesn't hear Elvis miss some notes needs to clean their ears out. While it is an exaggeration to say that Elvis sings "painfully flat throughout," he does mess up some notes and it is placed a little high for him to be comfortable.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:39 pm

TJ wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:I have always liked the book, but I don't think Walker always got it right.

But of course my reference is not to the songs Matthew-Walker supports or denigrates, but to the fact that his deep knowledge of music enables him to immediately detect a vocal that is flat, or sharp.

In the case of "Hey Jude" it would be unmissable if Presley is singing "painfully flat throughout." He is not, and that is why nothing is said by the author, an expert in the field of music theory.

Anyone who misses this point needs to take a class in reading comprehension.

Anyone who doesn't hear Elvis miss some notes needs to clean their ears out. While it is an exaggeration to say that Elvis sings "painfully flat throughout," he does mess up some notes and it is placed a little high for him to be comfortable.

Besides the song/tune itself, this is what ruins it for me.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:41 pm

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

I would give anything if he would have covered "Have You Never Be Mellow" so that we could have ran it through poormadpeters "Hey Jude Software" !! :lol:

There is no such song. Try again, please...

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Scarre wrote:
promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

Try this link and learn.
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=7197

Still not convinced click this link and scroll down to # 6.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_New ... atest_Hits

Get back with us soon and share what you have learned!

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:36 pm

promiseland wrote:
Scarre wrote:
promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

Try this link and learn.

You should try your own advise. There is no such song.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Hey poormadpeter can you run "Do The Clam" through your Hey Jude Software and see if it has any hidden female genitalia meaning? I always wondered about that!

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Scarre wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Scarre wrote:
promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

Try this link and learn.

You should try your own advise. There is no such song.

Don't Be Cruel doesn't exist either it's just a figment of our imaginations! :roll:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:44 pm

I´m gonna help you out here, you seem to need that...The song is called "Have You Never Been Mellow".

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Scarre wrote:I´m gonna help you out here, you seem to need that...The song is called "Have You Never Been Mellow".

It's a typo , and I wasn't about to add the "en" just to satisfy your smart ass reply since it wouldn't have changed in his quote. , the 2 links should served the purpose.

Try this what is the missing number? 2 + ( ) = 4 .
I won't put that in for you either if you have trouble with that too. :roll:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:12 pm

promiseland wrote:
Scarre wrote:I´m gonna help you out here, you seem to need that...The song is called "Have You Never Been Mellow".

It's a typo , and I wasn't about to add the "en" just to satisfy your smart ass reply since it wouldn't have changed in his quote. , the 2 links should served the purpose.

Try this what is the missing number? 2 + ( ) = 4 .
I won't put that in for you either if you have trouble with that too. :roll:

Whos quote?