Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:13 pm

With only 32.74 percent reporting, mostly West Coast outlets which report to "Hits Daily Double" first than do those of the East Coast, and the online outlets, please note that "Prince from another Planet"[u] not anywhere inside their top 50. I guess RollingStone, the Wall Street Journal, even TIME couldn't push it as it needed to be pushed to land inside the Top 50. too bad!!

Moreover, from the looks of it, I would say that not even 5,000 copies of PFAP were sold last week, as the album landing at number 50, right now, is reported to have sold 2,193, with, as I mentioned earlier, only 32.74 percent counted in.

So, even if PFAP is right now at number 51 (which we don't know as this particular list only gives the first 50), and even when assuming that the album will do a little better as East Coast and online outlets report their first week sales, I SERIOUSLY doubt it would end up selling more, AS IT SHOULD HAVE, than his own best selling Christmas album did last week, which was close to 7,000!!

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 pm

I thought we did this already :shock: sony loves Elvis Christmas sales, have no doubt!!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 pm

So that means between the USA and UK, there is about 7000 units sold, maybe 7500. Not alot considering people are always telling us how the fanbase is ever growing and how many people there are at Elvis week.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:26 pm

poormadpeter wrote:So that means between the USA and UK, there is about 7000 units sold, maybe 7500. Not alot considering people are always telling us how the fanbase is ever growing and how many people there are at Elvis week.

The number of people at Elvis week has little to do with how many of those, who attended it, (75,000, in August 2012), will buy Elvis' next big release, since 90 percent of them were not inside the tent where the release was first announced, I know that for a fact, nor are they stuck to a computer which would have perhaps allow them to be informed by Rollingstone, TIME, or the Wall Street Journal that the box was going to be released this week.

Don't try to be "More Papal than the Pope", we say in Latin America. And your message just fits that saying, like a glove.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:1st chart placing for a while! Shame top 40 wasn't hit.

Maybe to do with a lack of promotion.
Or limited stock on the shelves. When I bought mine from HMV, it was one of only two copies in stock. When the guy said their supplier had only sent two copies, I couldn't believe it!

A #74 position shows that their supplier was probably in the right. Anyone who wanted the item would have bought it online or pre-ordered it. What kind of promotion do you want? Sony are hardly going to spend thousands of pounds promoting something that really isn't going to sell many more copies because of the promotion. There is a small hard-core fan base who buy everything. Most other people couldn't care less anymore. No doubt the chart position is due to a very small percentage of people buying the item as a christmas present for someone is a fan of music from the era, or just a rock n roll enthusiast. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't take the sale of many more copies to make the leap from, say #150 to #74. Considering this position takes into account that nearly all fans would have bought the item this week, and all the pre-orders, it shows just how much Presley is NOT selling these days.

Not everybody shops online. That is why High Street shops still exist. What's wrong with a poster or two in the window? How much would that cost? And how many more sales would it attract to general music enthusiasts who were unaware of this release?

Every business has it's own market base, but they don't rely solely on that for sales.
The three Ps of Marketing: Product, Price, Promotion. Easy.

I was back in HMV today and there was a guy in there hunting high and low for the release. He almost bought the MSG Legacy Edition thinking it was PFAP. Good job I was there to put him right. How many more will make that mistake?

Why would HMV put a poster in the window for this release, when they could put a poster in the window for a release that is likely to sell 10, 20 or 30 times as much?

Tell me why not?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Brian Quinn mentioned that only 5,000 copies were pressed (I'm assuming for the U.K market) so therefore a high chart placing is not possible anyway, even if they all sell out.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:28 am

This is what the top 50 looks like in the US,, with NOW close to 55 percent reported. Again, the CD positioned at #50 sold 2,228 copies, with a little less than half still to be reported, which means PFAP will most likely sell less than 5,000 copies in the US, assuming it is at position 51, which doesn't look like it's going to be the case, anyways. Please note that positions will vary depending on when the most of the tallies come from. Grrr by the Stones landed quite high when the first 32 per cent was reported, West Coast, but the moment the East Coast and other results started to come in, it is now lower.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:44 am

poormadpeter wrote:So that means between the USA and UK, there is about 7000 units sold, maybe 7500. Not alot considering people are always telling us how the fanbase is ever growing and how many people there are at Elvis week.

A lot of them are poor. Simple as that. They shop at Wallmart, and the records better be there, and they'd better be a good discount. I doubt many of those walking up the drive can afford these super deluxe box sets. It would be the ultimate luxury, but that's all it is - a luxury beyond reach.

At least in the U.S., that's the situation regarding many Elvis fans. Whatever they spent in travelling to Memphis, to walk up the drive with their candles, and to buy some cheap geegaws, that's the money they spent. Now, they have to worry about the rent, the light bill, the phone bill, and some Christmas toys for their kids, not for themselves.

It's unfortunate that everyone cannot have what would make them most happy, but they can't. This is one of my favorite Christmas songs.

phpBB [video]

rjm

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:49 am

poormadpeter wrote:. . . alot . . .

It's "a lot".

Now you know.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 am

Blue River wrote:

It's "a lot".

Now you know.

You're on a roll.
You are pissing off "a lot" of folks lately, aren't ya.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:24 am

Hey BlueRiver, and ekenee. That Poormanpeter must be thinking of himself (LOL) when he says Elvis fans who go for a week to Memphis spend so much there that they are immediately, or soon after left so penniless that they have to REALLY worry about paying the electricity bill come September.

What he doesn't know is that Elvis fans come from every facet of society, and that goes from the ultra rich Middle Eastern (all bets are on the Sultan of Brunei, a huge Elvis fan), who paid US$100 million for Andy Warhol's "Eight Elvises", back in 2008 (and as reported by "The Economist", in 2009), to the thousands upon thousands from Brazil, England, South Africa, Singapore and Russia who have gone to several Elvis weeks, and have had enough money left to make ends meet, not just in September, but beyond., every year since.

Again, and for the last time, PFAP hasn't sold more ONLY because of insufficient promotion.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:35 am

ekenee wrote:
Blue River wrote:

It's "a lot".

...You are pissing off "a lot" of folks lately, aren't ya.

poormadpeter is the one who claims to be an author. I'm just helping him with his spelling.

As far as pissing people off, you pissed yourself off the other day by writing -
" Anyone else notice that the set is just like a classic double disc FTD release. "

instead of -

Anyone else notice that the set is similar to a classic double disc FTD release?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 am

Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:

Or limited stock on the shelves. When I bought mine from HMV, it was one of only two copies in stock. When the guy said their supplier had only sent two copies, I couldn't believe it!

A #74 position shows that their supplier was probably in the right. Anyone who wanted the item would have bought it online or pre-ordered it. What kind of promotion do you want? Sony are hardly going to spend thousands of pounds promoting something that really isn't going to sell many more copies because of the promotion. There is a small hard-core fan base who buy everything. Most other people couldn't care less anymore. No doubt the chart position is due to a very small percentage of people buying the item as a christmas present for someone is a fan of music from the era, or just a rock n roll enthusiast. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't take the sale of many more copies to make the leap from, say #150 to #74. Considering this position takes into account that nearly all fans would have bought the item this week, and all the pre-orders, it shows just how much Presley is NOT selling these days.

Not everybody shops online. That is why High Street shops still exist. What's wrong with a poster or two in the window? How much would that cost? And how many more sales would it attract to general music enthusiasts who were unaware of this release?

Every business has it's own market base, but they don't rely solely on that for sales.

I was back in HMV today and there was a guy in there hunting high and low for the release. He almost bought the MSG Legacy Edition thinking it was PFAP. Good job I was there to put him right. How many more will make that mistake?

Why would HMV put a poster in the window for this release, when they could put a poster in the window for a release that is likely to sell 10, 20 or 30 times as much?

Tell me why not?

Because HMV want to make as much money as possible. Or, to put it another way, if you were in charge of a cinema and on Friday a new Harry Potter film was coming out, and also a new small independent film about a woman's love for cactus plants - which would you promote? The one that was sure to sell tickets, or the one that is only of appeal to a small minority of the population?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:01 am

Jaime1234 wrote:Hey BlueRiver, and ekenee. That Poormanpeter must be thinking of himself (LOL) when he says Elvis fans who go for a week to Memphis spend so much there that they are immediately, or soon after left so penniless that they have to REALLY worry about paying the electricity bill come September.

I never said anything of the sort. RJM wrote that, not me.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:33 am

Blue River wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Blue River wrote:

It's "a lot".

poormadpeter is the one who claims to be an author. I'm just helping him with his spelling.

As far as pissing people off, you pissed yourself off the other day by writing -
" Anyone else notice that the set is just like a classic double disc FTD release. "

instead of -

Anyone else notice that the set is similar to a classic double disc FTD release?

OK. Let's get something straight before we move on here shall we. I have never claimed to be an "author". I have stated that a few weeks back I had a piece of writing published. It was something I was proud of and shared with people on the board. There is a vast difference. If you wish to use that as ammunition, and tarnish the one good thing that's actually happened this year, then fine. But you are only serving to make yourself look like a little spoilt little upstart whose mental age is about twelve.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:55 am

poormadpeter wrote:OK. Let's get something straight before we move on here shall we. I have never claimed to be an "author". I have stated that a few weeks back I had a piece of writing published. It was something I was proud of and shared with people on the board. There is a vast difference. If you wish to use that as ammunition, and tarnish the one good thing that's actually happened this year, then fine. But you are only serving to make yourself look like a little spoilt little upstart whose mental age is about twelve.

Now wait just a minute here.

drjohncarpenter is the one that referred to you as an author.
I was just following his lead since you think so highly of him. -
drjohncarpenter wrote:You so often completely miss the point, make a superficial comment or two, and then top it off with a meaningless put-down. Such grace. Such style. And you promote yourself on this forum as a published author. Bravo!

So, poormadpeter, are you saying that only serves to make drjohncarpenter look like a little spoilt little upstart whose mental age is about twelve?

Maybe he was using that as ammunition to tarnish the one good thing that's actually happened this year.
Last edited by Blue River on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:59 am

The word "imbecile" does not apply to DJC, but it does to you. Perhaps you understand the difference now.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 am

poormadpeter wrote:The word "imbecile" does not apply to DJC, but it does to you. Perhaps you understand the difference now.

Oh, so "drimbecile" applies to him & "poormadimbecile" applies to you. I get it now! :smt023

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:04 am

Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The word "imbecile" does not apply to DJC, but it does to you. Perhaps you understand the difference now.

Oh, so "drimbecile" applies to him & "poormadimbecile" applies to you. I get it now! :smt023

how old are you, blueriver?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:06 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Blue River wrote:

how old are you, blueriver?

Old enough to take a wooden paddle to you.

Now you know.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:12 am

Now with a little over 60 percent counted in, still no PFAP, within the top 50, but that position #50, still at 2, thousand and whatever, so that's both annoying and worrisome (LOL). The next up date, the final one I'd bet, will be published tomorrow at about 2 pm, EDT

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:34 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:

Tell me why not?

Because HMV want to make as much money as possible. Or, to put it another way, if you were in charge of a cinema and on Friday a new Harry Potter film was coming out, and also a new small independent film about a woman's love for cactus plants - which would you promote? The one that was sure to sell tickets, or the one that is only of appeal to a small minority of the population?

The stores don't decide what poster or promotion they put up, the record companies pay for that poster to be placed in the window. This was all up to Sony how many copies they are going to send out and how much or little they are going to promote the release. To use the movie theater analogy, most movie theaters will have the big stand up cardboard promo for Harry Potter film and they will at least have a poster for the independent film.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Blue River wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Blue River wrote:

It's "a lot".

instead of -

Apart from it's bigger than those and therefore will not fit in with them or in a 7" singles case! :evil:

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:

Tell me why not?

This has nothing to do with what I was saying in my earlier post. Did you read all of that post, or just the bit where I suggested putting posters in the shop window? I was not faulting HMV, I was faulting Sony. You jumped on the posters suggestion while dismissing my remarks about sound marketing strategies, which all good companies adopt in order to sell their products.
There is a potential for sales out there for thousands of music collectors (that's right, not just die hard Elvis fans) who unaware of this release due to lack of promotion, who would buy this if they knew it even existed. And many who do know and are intending to buy it, but are walking away with the wrong product, as they are buying the Legacy MSG release thinking it is PFAP.
As I said before, it is shoddy marketing.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:03 pm

I wouldn't say there has been a lack of promotion. In the UK there have been full page adverts in "Mojo", "Uncut" and "Record collector" magazines. There have been mentions on Radio 2 and a news item on Channel 5.