Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What 's the story on Don Lance?

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:48 pm

The recent treats on the FTD and Legacy label seem to come from the collection of Don Lance. The 1972 and 1973 rehearsals came from his collection as well as the released MSG footage on PFAP. Who is this guy and is he known to be one of the larger private collectors who have opened up their collection for Ernst/ FTD/ Legacy?

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:15 pm

He is lucky (and so are we) that EPE paid him for the MSG footage that had been on youtube and other places for years.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:13 pm

From "Elvis Australia":
Elvis Australia wrote:Don Lance, a fan, surreptitiously filmed the afternoon performance on the new 'Prince From Another Planet: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition' set's DVD. 'A well-connected friend got a bunch of us tickets in the fourth row, center', said Mr. Lance, who was 24 at the time. 'My girlfriend snuck my camera into the Garden in her shoulder bag along with six rolls of film. To steady the camera during the show, I put it on a tripod I had brought in strapped to my leg. Each time I went to film, friends on either side blocked security's view'. 'I only had six rolls of film and each roll (cartridge) lasted a bit over 3 minutes, so that's why there's about 20 minutes in total of film. It was not that it took a long time to change film [as claimed], I just spaced out what I shot'.

Elvis Australia suspected and indeed sugested the reason must have been at least partly to do with the need to preserve tape in our review of the 'Prince From Another Planet: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:40 am

I would be more interested in how did he manage to tape 3 rehearsals which were closed from the public.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:15 am

Marko wrote:I would be more interested in how did he manage to tape 3 rehearsals which were closed from the public.


Thanks JimmyCool, I did read that bit on Don Lance somewhere, but since he did supply Ernst with essential material (MSG footage and rehearsals) that I am wondering if anyone knows how he is rated as a collector. Is he considered to be one of the big private collectors or do these contributions come as a complete surprise to everyone?

Indeed Marko, I also would like to know the story behind the rehearsal tapes.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Lance long ago offered his rehearsal tapes to RCA, but Joan Deary sent him away. All credit should rightly go to Ernst Jorgensen and the FTD team for seeking him out years later and getting these rare tapes and films released.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:44 am

Can't really blame them for passing on this stuff back then. they would not have considered releasing a amateur rehearsal recording or 8 mm film way back then. But fast forward to today and they and they are running out of new things to release and the different things that are acceptable to release these days has changed.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:48 am

DEH wrote:Can't really blame them for passing on this stuff back then. they would not have considered releasing a amateur rehearsal recording or 8 mm film way back then.

Yes, instead of rare rehearsals, unreleased live concerts or studio outtakes, Deary gave us Elvis' Greatest Hits, Volume 1, Memories of Christmas and The Elvis Medley.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:13 am

The DON LANCE part of the Elvis world goes back til at least the early 70's. I first ran into him I'm guessing was around 1977 or so although it could have been sooner. Without his permission to go into his background I'll simply say that he played a big part in tapes I ended up putting on such bootleg LP;s as THE LEGEND LIVES ON; BEHIND CLOSED DOORS and I'M LEAVIN IT UP TO YOU.

Ernst had long been well aware of Don and I believe it was either in 2010 or 2011 that he (Ernst) called me and asked if I had Don's phone number. The only one I had was years and years old but it turned out to still be a working number so (Ernst) was able to reach him and, as a result, some great CD's etc have come out.

Don is also an accomplished musician from what I remember and a great guy and I recall spending some time with him in Baltimore around 1979.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:Can't really blame them for passing on this stuff back then. they would not have considered releasing a amateur rehearsal recording or 8 mm film way back then.

Yes, instead of rare rehearsals, unreleased live concerts or studio outtakes, Deary gave us Elvis' Greatest Hits, Volume 1, Memories of Christmas and The Elvis Medley.


not saying that stuff was good. just saying they had tons of stuff in the vault at that time that a non professional sounding rehearsal from vegas would not even be considered for release. it was a different time.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Lance long ago offered his rehearsal tapes to RCA, but Joan Deary sent him away. All credit should rightly go to Ernst Jorgensen and the FTD team for seeking him out years later and getting these rare tapes and films released.


Yes we are EXTREMELY FORTUNATE to hear stuff via Don...aND THAT A MAJOR PART WHY 2012 AND 2013 ARE SUCH GREAT YEARS TO BE A ftd BUYER~! 8)

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:19 am

I would like to know if Ernst bought every rehearsal tape that Don had with all these years.

Besides the 3 rehearsals (January 25th, 1973 - August 04th, 1972 - what's the other one?) and the MSG footage, is it known he has more unreleased material?

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:43 am

Renan..... i guess we keep buying more FTD's and get more hopefully in 2013??? :roll: :wink:

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:12 am

The story Ernst told in Memphis was that he knew of him for a long time from Joan Deary's records but could never find him. All the old phone numbers were no longer good. He tried and tried to contact him even calling a lot of people in his town and asking if anyone knew him with no success, Finally he was having lunch with a friend of his a year or so ago and he was telling his friend about DL and his friend said oh I know him and still speak with him from time to time. He couldn't belive it. So Ernst contacted him and at first he was not interested in selling anything but Ernst eventually gained his confidence and the purchase was made,
As for him taping the rehearsals he said he just went into the room before they started put a recorder on the table, turned it on and left the room. Amazingly no one noticed or if they did they didn't say anything or do anything about it.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:30 am

wwelvis wrote:The DON LANCE part of the Elvis world goes back til at least the early 70's. I first ran into him I'm guessing was around 1977 or so although it could have been sooner. Without his permission to go into his background I'll simply say that he played a big part in tapes I ended up putting on such bootleg LP;s as THE LEGEND LIVES ON; BEHIND CLOSED DOORS and I'M LEAVIN IT UP TO YOU.

Ernst had long been well aware of Don and I believe it was either in 2010 or 2011 that he (Ernst) called me and asked if I had Don's phone number. The only one I had was years and years old but it turned out to still be a working number so (Ernst) was able to reach him and, as a result, some great CD's etc have come out.

Don is also an accomplished musician from what I remember and a great guy and I recall spending some time with him in Baltimore around 1979.

Always nice to see you posting here! Love the information, of course. Hope all is well.

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:02 pm

wwelvis wrote:The DON LANCE part of the Elvis world goes back til at least the early 70's. I first ran into him I'm guessing was around 1977 or so although it could have been sooner. Without his permission to go into his background I'll simply say that he played a big part in tapes I ended up putting on such bootleg LP;s as THE LEGEND LIVES ON; BEHIND CLOSED DOORS and I'M LEAVIN IT UP TO YOU.

Ernst had long been well aware of Don and I believe it was either in 2010 or 2011 that he (Ernst) called me and asked if I had Don's phone number. The only one I had was years and years old but it turned out to still be a working number so (Ernst) was able to reach him and, as a result, some great CD's etc have come out.

Don is also an accomplished musician from what I remember and a great guy and I recall spending some time with him in Baltimore around 1979.


Great info. Thanks for posting!

steve in SC wrote:The story Ernst told in Memphis was that he knew of him for a long time from Joan Deary's records but could never find him. All the old phone numbers were no longer good. He tried and tried to contact him even calling a lot of people in his town and asking if anyone knew him with no success, Finally he was having lunch with a friend of his a year or so ago and he was telling his friend about DL and his friend said oh I know him and still speak with him from time to time. He couldn't belive it. So Ernst contacted him and at first he was not interested in selling anything but Ernst eventually gained his confidence and the purchase was made,
As for him taping the rehearsals he said he just went into the room before they started put a recorder on the table, turned it on and left the room. Amazingly no one noticed or if they did they didn't say anything or do anything about it.


Wonder who did he had to pay off to get there...

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 pm

steve in SC wrote:The story Ernst told in Memphis was that he knew of him for a long time from Joan Deary's records but could never find him. All the old phone numbers were no longer good. He tried and tried to contact him even calling a lot of people in his town and asking if anyone knew him with no success, Finally he was having lunch with a friend of his a year or so ago and he was telling his friend about DL and his friend said oh I know him and still speak with him from time to time. He couldn't belive it. So Ernst contacted him and at first he was not interested in selling anything but Ernst eventually gained his confidence and the purchase was made,
As for him taping the rehearsals he said he just went into the room before they started put a recorder on the table, turned it on and left the room. Amazingly no one noticed or if they did they didn't say anything or do anything about it.


great story Ernst told wasn't it?

Re: What 's the story on Don Lance?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:37 pm

JimmyCool wrote:From "Elvis Australia":
Elvis Australia wrote:Don Lance, a fan, surreptitiously filmed the afternoon performance on the new 'Prince From Another Planet: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition' set's DVD. 'A well-connected friend got a bunch of us tickets in the fourth row, center', said Mr. Lance, who was 24 at the time. 'My girlfriend snuck my camera into the Garden in her shoulder bag along with six rolls of film. To steady the camera during the show, I put it on a tripod I had brought in strapped to my leg. Each time I went to film, friends on either side blocked security's view'. 'I only had six rolls of film and each roll (cartridge) lasted a bit over 3 minutes, so that's why there's about 20 minutes in total of film. It was not that it took a long time to change film [as claimed], I just spaced out what I shot'.

Elvis Australia suspected and indeed sugested the reason must have been at least partly to do with the need to preserve tape in our review of the 'Prince From Another Planet: 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition.


Havent these stories been told by a lot of fans over the years? Taping the tripod to your leg is a cool thing though.