Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:52 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
minkahed wrote:Noone around these parts even had any idea what I was talking about when I was inquiring about this Elvis Presley release ?

All I got were weird looks, like, "Ailvis" ? ugh ...


then move :D

minkahed wrote:According to sweetangeline, Elvis is alive and well at retail though ... "Extinct" is more like it.

midnightx, you want to chime in on this one ?


plenty of copies where I am and leave midnightx alone he`s listening to the sounds of Zarathustra as we speak :lol:

thought I read in some other thread of yours that you can`t afford all these releases right now anyway, going to be a lonely Christmas for you my friend, would you like to spend the holidays here and we will listen to MSG with a cup of cheer :lol: :lol:


Where do u live ?

And can u pm me a pic of what you look like ?

I wouldn't want to go down there and find Nat King Cole, you know what I'm sayin' ....

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Jove wrote:The original poster started this thread on Nov. 9, 2012. A week later would be Nov. 16, which is tomorrow. :roll:


= just maybe he or she did`nt do there research either when it comes to the billboard charts and how they work, but let me help you both out;

all U.S sales of PFAP will be calculated from Tuesday 13 until Sunday 18 and if it hits the billboard 200 you can see it for yourself at www.billboard.com on Thursday November 22, research folks!! :D

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 pm

minkahed wrote:And can u pm me a pic of what you look like ?

I wouldn't want to go down there and find Nat King Cole, you know what I'm sayin' ....


I`m his daughter Natalie and I`m quite sure you can find a picture of me all over the net, UNFORGETTABLE!!

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:As of today (14th November) PFAP is No.55 in the UK Midweek Album Charts. Earlier on it was 41. It has a total print run of 5,000. So far there have been 15 Press Reviews with more to come including one in the Daily Mirror which rated it 5 out of 5. Other reviews have been in the following Magazines (December Issues): Mojo, Uncut and Record Collector. It was also heavily featured in the Daily Mail Online whose demographic is the most suitable for Presley fans.

This morning (14th) a one minute video excerpt of the Press Conference + concert footage were shown on ITV Daybreak.

There will also be radio plugs for the set as follows:

BBC6 Music

BBC2 Johnnie Walker - Inclusion in Sounds Of The Seventies on Saturday, 17th November.

Brian


Thats the exact response (Word for word) I received when I ask the mid week chart placing on another site! lol

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 pm

trouble_jw wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:
As of today (14th November) PFAP is No.55 in the UK Midweek Album Charts. Earlier on it was 41. It has a total print run of 5,000. So far there have been 15 Press Reviews with more to come including one in the Daily Mirror which rated it 5 out of 5. Other reviews have been in the following Magazines (December Issues): Mojo, Uncut and Record Collector. It was also heavily featured in the Daily Mail Online whose demographic is the most suitable for Presley fans.

This morning (14th) a one minute video excerpt of the Press Conference + concert footage were shown on ITV Daybreak.

There will also be radio plugs for the set as follows:

BBC6 Music

BBC2 Johnnie Walker - Inclusion in Sounds Of The Seventies on Saturday, 17th November.

Brian


Thats the exact response (Word for word) I received when I ask the mid week chart placing on another site! lol




Brilliant News Ty Brian And Jason for this -Lets Get Elvis up the charts where he belongs - Cmon evry one -Lets GET him to number 1 where he belongs -

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:44 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:FYI, Elvis didn't have an affair with a 14 year old. Priscilla has said herself that he wouldn't touch her because she was under age. Notice how he waited until she was 17, which was the legal age in 1962, before he sent for her to come to the states.

When Priscilla Beaulieu arrived for her first U.S. visit on June 17, 1962, she was 17 years and 3 weeks old. Legal consent in both California and Tennessee was 18.

But there is no way they did anything to violate that rule during that visit, or the next one in December, let alone when they dated between September 1959 and March 1960, and she was 14.

;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_consent_in_Europe#Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#California
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#Tennessee

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:06 pm

PFAP enters the official U.K Top 100 chart at #74.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:06 am

1st chart placing for a while! Shame top 40 wasn't hit.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:11 am

trouble_jw wrote:1st chart placing for a while! Shame top 40 wasn't hit.

Maybe to do with a lack of promotion.
Or limited stock on the shelves. When I bought mine from HMV, it was one of only two copies in stock. When the guy said their supplier had only sent two copies, I couldn't believe it!

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 am

Polk Salad Andy wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:1st chart placing for a while! Shame top 40 wasn't hit.

Maybe to do with a lack of promotion.
Or limited stock on the shelves. When I bought mine from HMV, it was one of only two copies in stock. When the guy said their supplier had only sent two copies, I couldn't believe it!


A #74 position shows that their supplier was probably in the right. Anyone who wanted the item would have bought it online or pre-ordered it. What kind of promotion do you want? Sony are hardly going to spend thousands of pounds promoting something that really isn't going to sell many more copies because of the promotion. There is a small hard-core fan base who buy everything. Most other people couldn't care less anymore. No doubt the chart position is due to a very small percentage of people buying the item as a christmas present for someone is a fan of music from the era, or just a rock n roll enthusiast. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't take the sale of many more copies to make the leap from, say #150 to #74. Considering this position takes into account that nearly all fans would have bought the item this week, and all the pre-orders, it shows just how much Presley is NOT selling these days.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:35 am

It's not in the supermarkets in the UK, which is another factor that makes a top 40 position tough. I don't know what it might have sold if people had seen it in Tesco, Sainsbury's etc, but clearly it would have done better than it did.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 am

Most branches of tesco or sainsbury where I am sell only about fifteen to twenty different cds, and will only ever stock multiple copies of those that are guaranteed to sell. The size of the package, which fits in no pre-existing cd racks hasn't really helped.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:45 am

sweetangeline wrote:
minkahed wrote:And can u pm me a pic of what you look like ?

I wouldn't want to go down there and find Nat King Cole, you know what I'm sayin' ....


I`m his daughter Natalie and I`m quite sure you can find a picture of me all over the net, UNFORGETTABLE!!


Yeh, unforgettably brutal ... :smt005

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:22 am

poormadpeter wrote:Most branches of tesco or sainsbury where I am sell only about fifteen to twenty different cds, and will only ever stock multiple copies of those that are guaranteed to sell. The size of the package, which fits in no pre-existing cd racks hasn't really helped.


I think they have the top 40 on display in my local supermarkets, along with some other new releases and budget stuff. The top 40 is not the official chart though, ie new titles appear based on estimated sales figures.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:38 am

Poormadpeter I think you are a bit over reacting on that matter that Elvis does not sell. Then why has Sony taken the chance to put some effort and money into it? They will make in the end a big profit out of it. Who on this board predicted that it will even hit the charts? I am certain that Sony are very pleased with that placement even more surprised it charted. I think it will be TOP 50 in the US next week. You now in the end it is all about marketing: if you believe in your product, and that you are right to believe so, then it will sell. Michael Jackson's "BAD 25" flopped big time around the world regarding the high expectations Sony had on this. Does this mean MJ doesn't sell anymore?! No just bad marketing. Or may be the millions MJ fans just vanished into the air...

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:51 am

Yvosus wrote:Poormadpeter I think you are being a bit over reacting on that matter that Elvis does not sell. Then why has Sony taken the chance to put some effort and money into it? They will make in the end a big profit out of it. Who on this board predicted that it will even hit the charts? I am certain that Sony are very pleased with that placement even more surprised it charted. I think it will be TOP 50 in the US next week. You now in the end it is all about marketing: if you believe in your product, and that you are right to believe so, then it will sell. Michael Jackson's "BAD 25" flopped big time around the world regarding the high expectations Sony had on this. Does this mean MJ doesn't sell anymore?! No just bad marketing. Or may be the millions MJ fans just vanished into the air...


People are fickle. This Is It can be purchased brand new on blu-ray in the UK at the moment for £1 in Poundland stores.

I'm not over-reacting. Sony could probably have made a damn fine guess at how many Prince's will sell. They know how many each and every FTD sells, and they know how many Legacy editions sell. As I have said before, people are more than happy here to run down artists on the charts for not needing to sell as many units as Elvis did and yet reach the same chart position. This is true. Those same people think it is a wonderful achievement to his #74 in the charts and that it is a sign that Elvis is selling well. #74 is nothing these days. Despite all those pre-orders, and initial purchases from all hard-core fans, it has still registered lower on the charts that Queen's Greatest Hits which has been out for more than three decades, or been out for over year if you class the remaster as a new album. It is only 14 places higher than Abba Gold which has been on the UK charts 870 weeks.

What this means is that X amount of people buy Elvis releases. And that number isn't going to grow or change no matter how much it is advertised. The only chance of that changing is if a song has been used to great effect in a blockbuster film or something like that. Prince From Another Planet, despite the video footage and despite the long awaited remixing has not proven that Elvis is a big seller. Not at all. And, I would suggest that if we look at the same charts in a couple of weeks time we will find that the album is nowhere to be seen.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:13 am

In Billboard's Catalog Artist chart for 2011, Elvis was in the top 10. If he is not a big seller then artists below his position must sell nuts...
By the way Poormadpeter you did not seem to take into account what I was talking about. Nevertheless I do not care as long as we are being offered the chance to buy some new Top notch Elvis releases as PFAP.
On a side note if it wasn't for Ernst hardwork and dedication, major music executives would still believe it is no use to spend money on Elvis' music, as they felt back then, it will not sale for they did not trust his selling power anymore and he was outdated to say the least.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 pm

minkahed wrote:Yeh, unforgettably brutal ...


you will never change, but keep buying those records!! :lol:

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:47 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Yvosus wrote:Poormadpeter I think you are being a bit over reacting on that matter that Elvis does not sell. Then why has Sony taken the chance to put some effort and money into it? They will make in the end a big profit out of it. Who on this board predicted that it will even hit the charts? I am certain that Sony are very pleased with that placement even more surprised it charted. I think it will be TOP 50 in the US next week. You now in the end it is all about marketing: if you believe in your product, and that you are right to believe so, then it will sell. Michael Jackson's "BAD 25" flopped big time around the world regarding the high expectations Sony had on this. Does this mean MJ doesn't sell anymore?! No just bad marketing. Or may be the millions MJ fans just vanished into the air...


People are fickle. This Is It can be purchased brand new on blu-ray in the UK at the moment for £1 in Poundland stores.

I'm not over-reacting. Sony could probably have made a damn fine guess at how many Prince's will sell. They know how many each and every FTD sells, and they know how many Legacy editions sell. As I have said before, people are more than happy here to run down artists on the charts for not needing to sell as many units as Elvis did and yet reach the same chart position. This is true. Those same people think it is a wonderful achievement to his #74 in the charts and that it is a sign that Elvis is selling well. #74 is nothing these days. Despite all those pre-orders, and initial purchases from all hard-core fans, it has still registered lower on the charts that Queen's Greatest Hits which has been out for more than three decades, or been out for over year if you class the remaster as a new album. It is only 14 places higher than Abba Gold which has been on the UK charts 870 weeks.

What this means is that X amount of people buy Elvis releases. And that number isn't going to grow or change no matter how much it is advertised. The only chance of that changing is if a song has been used to great effect in a blockbuster film or something like that. Prince From Another Planet, despite the video footage and despite the long awaited remixing has not proven that Elvis is a big seller. Not at all. And, I would suggest that if we look at the same charts in a couple of weeks time we will find that the album is nowhere to be seen.


Hmm, but Presley's sales over his whole catalogue would be better than those you are quoting for the above artists would they not? And bar Taylor Swift who is really mega selling these days?

It has been pointed out that over the course of time a lot of Presley's LP's gather appreciable sales as can be attested to by the gold and platinum RIAA certifications with very little chart action.

I think perhaps this indicates that Presley's sales need to be looked at differently. The charts don't tell the whole story.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:09 pm

FredAistair wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Yvosus wrote:Poormadpeter I think you are being a bit over reacting on that matter that Elvis does not sell. Then why has Sony taken the chance to put some effort and money into it? They will make in the end a big profit out of it. Who on this board predicted that it will even hit the charts? I am certain that Sony are very pleased with that placement even more surprised it charted. I think it will be TOP 50 in the US next week. You now in the end it is all about marketing: if you believe in your product, and that you are right to believe so, then it will sell. Michael Jackson's "BAD 25" flopped big time around the world regarding the high expectations Sony had on this. Does this mean MJ doesn't sell anymore?! No just bad marketing. Or may be the millions MJ fans just vanished into the air...


People are fickle. This Is It can be purchased brand new on blu-ray in the UK at the moment for £1 in Poundland stores.

I'm not over-reacting. Sony could probably have made a damn fine guess at how many Prince's will sell. They know how many each and every FTD sells, and they know how many Legacy editions sell. As I have said before, people are more than happy here to run down artists on the charts for not needing to sell as many units as Elvis did and yet reach the same chart position. This is true. Those same people think it is a wonderful achievement to his #74 in the charts and that it is a sign that Elvis is selling well. #74 is nothing these days. Despite all those pre-orders, and initial purchases from all hard-core fans, it has still registered lower on the charts that Queen's Greatest Hits which has been out for more than three decades, or been out for over year if you class the remaster as a new album. It is only 14 places higher than Abba Gold which has been on the UK charts 870 weeks.

What this means is that X amount of people buy Elvis releases. And that number isn't going to grow or change no matter how much it is advertised. The only chance of that changing is if a song has been used to great effect in a blockbuster film or something like that. Prince From Another Planet, despite the video footage and despite the long awaited remixing has not proven that Elvis is a big seller. Not at all. And, I would suggest that if we look at the same charts in a couple of weeks time we will find that the album is nowhere to be seen.


Hmm, but Presley's sales over his whole catalogue would be better than those you are quoting for the above artists would they not? And bar Taylor Swift who is really mega selling these days?

It has been pointed out that over the course of time a lot of Presley's LP's gather appreciable sales as can be attested to by the gold and platinum RIAA certifications with very little chart action.

I think perhaps this indicates that Presley's sales need to be looked at differently. The charts don't tell the whole story.


Of course Presley's original albums are slow sellers these days, but I'm sure they do sell a reasonable amount over time for an artist that has been dead for 35 years. But this was a major release, with an anticipated remix of two historic shows with video footage for the first time. And, most noticeably, unlike YMWTBB, it was affordable to most people. Everyone who is a fan would have bought this release, and yet it still barely dents the charts - and yet people still maintain than the video footage of EOT will sell enough copies to pay for the restoration. The #74 chart position of this release proves that this is not the case.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 pm

I think the unreleased video from EOT would move units than PFAP.Most people would rather see footage than listen to just audio.Particulary casual fans.I even had a couple of coworkers ask about the new release.When I told them it was only 20 mins or so of video they lost enthusiasm.I never expected a major impact on the charts.Elvis' sales are going to be impacted by the wane of physical media also.I just dont think the majority of his fan base is out searching for cd's or ordering them online.To a certain extent I think his music is overshadowed by his image for many fans.So many fans just seem drawn to souvenirs and other stuff and the music takes a backseat.The music may have drawn them in originally.Then I think so many fans feel like they have it all or enough and they just dont realize what quality stuff is being released.Most probably really dont care.Its just not that important to them.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:15 pm

It's all a matter of marketing. PFAP has had very little publicity - mainly in newspapers and magazines in the UK. Other major artists e.g. Rolling Stones; Susan Boyle; Rod Stewart etc., have had extensive TV campaigns. Therefore, apart from Elvis fans, very few people knew of the release. Further, as has already been stated on this thread, apart from online stores, one is left with the supermarkets and the odd retail shop and they will only stock those albums with a TV campaign or the current 'in-thing'. On the official Billboard Top 200 album chart for last week the Elvis album 'Elvis Classic Christmas Album' was shown with a Willie Nelson Album picture and on the UK Online Official Charts Company Top 100 Album Chart for this week, PFAP was the only album which did not have the cover shown. Such instances of neglect should not be happening to someone of Elvis stature.

Brian
Last edited by Brian Quinn on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:1st chart placing for a while! Shame top 40 wasn't hit.

Maybe to do with a lack of promotion.
Or limited stock on the shelves. When I bought mine from HMV, it was one of only two copies in stock. When the guy said their supplier had only sent two copies, I couldn't believe it!


A #74 position shows that their supplier was probably in the right. Anyone who wanted the item would have bought it online or pre-ordered it. What kind of promotion do you want? Sony are hardly going to spend thousands of pounds promoting something that really isn't going to sell many more copies because of the promotion. There is a small hard-core fan base who buy everything. Most other people couldn't care less anymore. No doubt the chart position is due to a very small percentage of people buying the item as a christmas present for someone is a fan of music from the era, or just a rock n roll enthusiast. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't take the sale of many more copies to make the leap from, say #150 to #74. Considering this position takes into account that nearly all fans would have bought the item this week, and all the pre-orders, it shows just how much Presley is NOT selling these days.


Not everybody shops online. That is why High Street shops still exist. What's wrong with a poster or two in the window? How much would that cost? And how many more sales would it attract to general music enthusiasts who were unaware of this release?

Every business has it's own market base, but they don't rely solely on that for sales.
The three Ps of Marketing: Product, Price, Promotion. Easy.

I was back in HMV today and there was a guy in there hunting high and low for the release. He almost bought the MSG Legacy Edition thinking it was PFAP. Good job I was there to put him right. How many more will make that mistake?

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Polk Salad Andy wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Polk Salad Andy wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:1st chart placing for a while! Shame top 40 wasn't hit.

Maybe to do with a lack of promotion.
Or limited stock on the shelves. When I bought mine from HMV, it was one of only two copies in stock. When the guy said their supplier had only sent two copies, I couldn't believe it!


A #74 position shows that their supplier was probably in the right. Anyone who wanted the item would have bought it online or pre-ordered it. What kind of promotion do you want? Sony are hardly going to spend thousands of pounds promoting something that really isn't going to sell many more copies because of the promotion. There is a small hard-core fan base who buy everything. Most other people couldn't care less anymore. No doubt the chart position is due to a very small percentage of people buying the item as a christmas present for someone is a fan of music from the era, or just a rock n roll enthusiast. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't take the sale of many more copies to make the leap from, say #150 to #74. Considering this position takes into account that nearly all fans would have bought the item this week, and all the pre-orders, it shows just how much Presley is NOT selling these days.


Not everybody shops online. That is why High Street shops still exist. What's wrong with a poster or two in the window? How much would that cost? And how many more sales would it attract to general music enthusiasts who were unaware of this release?

Every business has it's own market base, but they don't rely solely on that for sales.
The three Ps of Marketing: Product, Price, Promotion. Easy.

I was back in HMV today and there was a guy in there hunting high and low for the release. He almost bought the MSG Legacy Edition thinking it was PFAP. Good job I was there to put him right. How many more will make that mistake?


Why would HMV put a poster in the window for this release, when they could put a poster in the window for a release that is likely to sell 10, 20 or 30 times as much?

Re: Prince from another Planet to hit the charts next week!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:It's all a matter of marketing. PFAP has had very little publicity -

You're absolutely right, Brian, and the fact that SONY released the MSG Legacy Edition simultaneously with PFAP hasn't helped either.


Yvosus wrote:. . . Poormadpeter you did not seem to take into account what I was talking about.

Welcome to his world, Yvosus. That's what he does best. He rarely ever takes into account what others are talking about.

It's very difficult trying to reason with a know-it-all.