Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

When did Elvis first read What Happened?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Probably a question which is impossible to answer, but West/Hebler was fired in July 1976, the book was serialized in England and Australia in May 1977, and the book came out in August. Elvis got an advance copy from the publisher through John O' Grady. In David Stanleys book The Elvis Encyclopedia he describes the scene after Elvis read it. it was not a happy one. Based on the falling-off from Pittsburgh to Miami my guess would be January 1977. Anyone have a clue?

Re: When did Elvis first read What Happened?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:37 pm

I think it was earlier..was it..around October 1976..?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I think it was earlier..was it..around October 1976..?

I don't think it was October, as Elvis in the phone converation with Red West on the 13th says: "Worried about the book? I don't think so. Not on my part".

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:59 pm

By the beginning of 1977 he had definitely read the book. According to The Concerts Years
he could even get hold of a copy long before the book was published.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Allegedly, in early-to-mid 1977 he accessed pre-publication proofs, which he read with anger, and amended with his own scribbled comments. Just imagine how revelatory it would be to see these proofs, if they still exist, today.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Allegedly, in early-to-mid 1977 he accessed pre-publication proofs, which he read with anger, and amended with his own scribbled comments. Just imagine how revelatory it would be to see these proofs, if they still exist, today.

Man those would be some read!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:33 pm

i have it on good authority (don't ask...i won't tell), Elvis definitely read at least one chapter from the book between Christmas and New Years in 1976. He read one more chapter when he returned from NYE 1976 in Pittsburgh. That's when the sh*t really hit the fan and Elvis did three things then: uncontrolled rage, uncontrolled drug use, uncontrolled eating. By the time he returned to touring in February, he was a disaster. He even considered cancelling the tour but the Colonel wouldn't hear of it. Before the book was actually published, i believe that Elvis read at least another part of the book before going into the defensive mode. He planned on having to answer a lot of questions once the book was published. Unfortunately, death intervened and Elvis wouldn't have to worry about those questions.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Interesting and proving that the "The Concert Years" book was right.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:10 pm

elvisbot wrote:i have it on good authority (don't ask...i won't tell), Elvis definitely read at least one chapter from the book between Christmas and New Years in 1976. He read one more chapter when he returned from NYE 1976 in Pittsburgh. That's when the sh*t really hit the fan and Elvis did three things then: uncontrolled rage, uncontrolled drug use, uncontrolled eating. By the time he returned to touring in February, he was a disaster. He even considered cancelling the tour but the Colonel wouldn't hear of it. Before the book was actually published, i believe that Elvis read at least another part of the book before going into the defensive mode. He planned on having to answer a lot of questions once the book was published. Unfortunately, death intervened and Elvis wouldn't have to worry about those questions.

This sounds unlikely given the tone of the shows in the last week of December, and the fact that he attended a funeral in Arkansas a few days into the new year. He also had sessions in Nashville at the end of January that blew up because his girlfriend would not go with him. There were some major anger episodes between tours in early-to-mid March, as recounted by one of the Stanley brothers.