Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:57 am

ep2 wrote:the footage is really outstanding!! but how can such release, what you can buy in the shops make a dvd with almost complete black footage ?????was this made in hurry??? why not only a dvd with just the footage?? and what about the local tv footage there is just much more !!!i think nobody knows exact how much there was filmed i guess

During “Elvis Week” Ernst stated clearly that the idea was release the DVD they way they have in order to keep everything in context, rather than simple just a collection of clips. I think it was the correct choice.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:26 am

Maybe some slides would have been a way to keep things during the black spots in the video. That way you have something to look at and keep your eyes on the screen to be ready for the next video moment. Wonder why they didn't do that?

The part of the package I liked the most was the booklet which was just terrific. I also loved the sound on the CDs and what there was of the footage.

On the documentary, it was cool but it could have been improved with some more specifics on how the show came about and questions about anything different Elvis may have done in the build up.
Last edited by likethebike on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:28 am

Julian Grant wrote:
ep2 wrote:the footage is really outstanding!! but how can such release, what you can buy in the shops make a dvd with almost complete black footage ?????was this made in hurry??? why not only a dvd with just the footage?? and what about the local tv footage there is just much more !!!i think nobody knows exact how much there was filmed i guess

During “Elvis Week” Ernst stated clearly that the idea was release the DVD they way they have in order to keep everything in context, rather than simple just a collection of clips. I think it was the correct choice.

Me too. Absolutely. I watched the entire show yesterday and really enjoyed it. This is how I'll play that show from now on. The footage is super cool. When it disappears, well, it's no worse to play a DVD with a blank screen than it is to play a regular CD. Same thing! I agree there could have been an option to show only the footage though.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am

What they could've done is include a menu with the footage being played without the blanks in between. That way I won't have to keep pressing the FF button.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:41 am

poormadpeter wrote:While I think this is a great release, I think we do need to calm down a little bit here. The mix is great - but it only sounds as good as it does to us because the original was so awful! This is how it should have sounded for the last forty years folks!

A new release is no guarantee of good sound quality. We should rejoice when we get the chance particularly as there were concerns over Brauer getting his hands on the release. I don't think that SQ was much of a factor in the70's so we should be thankful that the original tapes were still available and that they have made the best of them. I am going rejoice some more today! :-)

Cheers Jamie

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:45 am

Julian Grant wrote:

I agree...how lucky are we to have the footage folks?

Maybe if they had included the 'polk' footage in the documentary then all the footage would have been there...in addition to the footage/black screen option...

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:27 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:What they could've done is include a menu with the footage being played without the blanks in between. That way I won't have to keep pressing the FF button.

Right, that simple addition to the dvd menu would have helped a lot.
I read some "casual fan" reviews and people complained about the dropped visuals and wondered if there was something wrong with the disc.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:17 pm

stan from tintane wrote:
Marko wrote:.... and when looking at it as a CD release (which it obviously is), it's an outstanding release.

No, it's a CD/DVD release, the standard CD release is available in the original mixes. :smt006

Fair enough. I view it mainly as CD release with a DVD as a bonus.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:20 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:What they could've done is include a menu with the footage being played without the blanks in between. That way I won't have to keep pressing the FF button.

yep, that would have been a better option....

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:45 pm

I just bought the Legacy version as well...was only $13. Packaging is nice, but the sound is not that impressive. First impression is that they just used the original mixes...I heard several cues from the original cds in these. If nothing else it will make a nice decor item for my desk at work. PFAP will stay safely at home and I'll play cdrs in the car.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:30 pm

ML4EP wrote:I just bought the Legacy version as well...was only $13.

First impression is that they just used the original mixes.

They said this release would use the original mix. I believed them. I love PFAP and am happy to save the $13.00 for the superfluous Legacy version.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:42 pm

stevelecher wrote:

They said this release would use the original mix. I believed them. I love PFAP and am happy to save the $13.00 for the superfluous Legacy version.

We could have lived without the Legacy version didn't we?
It feels like the Legacy release is blocking some sales success of PFAP:
The Legacy MSG, which in my opinion is an inferior product vs PFAP, seems to have a broader in store distribution.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:20 am

From strictly a marketing stand point, I think Sony made a mistake. To maximize sales of both the Legacy version and "Prince" version, they should have released the Legacy edition first (like a year ago). We would have all bought it because we've been wanting the original MSG album. Then, this year, for the 40th anniversary, release "Prince From Another Planet". We would have again bought it, this time with the new mixes.

By releasing both at the same time - on the same day - many people will buy one or the other. Eventually some would buy both, but now after hearing that the new mix is superior to the originals, it doesn't fare well for the Legacy edition.

RKS

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06 am

I bought both... I'm a collector...

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 am

I am happy wiith the new mixes and mastering. While staying true to the original mix, this release is so much clearer, it does feel like a new experience. I have found my self liking this show more than i ever did. PFAP is a winner!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:15 am

elvis-fan wrote:I bought both... I'm a collector...

I'm a collector too, but a little discerning. Buying both Legacy releases wasn't important to me. i have this on the banded two LP set, the Japanese quad release, the original LP, a couple of CD releases and now PRAP. Probably the only one I'll ever play again is PFAP. I'm covered.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:05 pm

DEH wrote:what are the exact songs that have footage????

For a more detailed rundown, here's what you get:

Pre Show / 2001 (1 minute 10 secs)
Thats Alright (2 minutes 19 secs) complete
Proud Mary (1 minutes 23 secs)
Never Been To Spain (2 minutes 45 secs)
Polk Salad Annie (2 mins 10 secs)
Hearltbreak Hotel (1 minute 36 secs)
Reconsider Baby (11 secs)
Hound Dog (2 minutes 4 secs)
I'll Remember You (1 minute 3 secs)
Suspicious Minds (2 minutes 50 secs)
Introductions (25 secs)
American Trilogy (2 minutes 39 secs)
CHFIL + Outro (49 secs)

Sadly it's not quite as comprehensive as it might seem from above because the footage repeatedly breaks down, for example Suspicious Minds is filmed in four separate sections. Still nice to have though.

As for the sound, this new mix isn't for me as levels have been artificially raised making it sound muddy and constricted on a good hi-fi system. Admittedly I haven't tried it on my car stereo which may be less forgiving. It would be interesting to hear what Matthew and other sound enthusiasts have to say on this in due course.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Robert wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

We could have lived without the Legacy version didn't we?
It feels like the Legacy release is blocking some sales success of PFAP:
The Legacy MSG, which in my opinion is an inferior product vs PFAP, seems to have a broader in store distribution.

Yes, you are right. I was in HMV today. Instore they had MSG Legacy editions: 6 copies, PFAP: 1 copy :roll:
I even stopped a guy from buying the MSG Legacy Edition baecause he thought it was PFAP. Confusion abounds, it's hard to see PFAP selling well when the only copy they have in the shop is behind the counter.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Mike S wrote:
DEH wrote:As for the sound, this new mix isn't for me as levels have been artificially raised making it sound muddy and constricted on a good hi-fi system. Admittedly I haven't tried it on my car stereo which may be less forgiving. It would be interesting to hear what Matthew and other sound enthusiasts have to say on this in due course.

I understand what you say about the sound as there isn't a wide spread of instruments/vocals across the soundstage. Brauer is also renouned for his use of compression which may explain the sense of the dynamics being restricted. However, having said that the remit was to put you in the fourth row of the Stadium and I think it achieves that brilliantly. It is an exciting sound and there is still enough clarity to follow JB's guitar, different drums, etc. There is plenty of bass and kick drums and Elvis vocals are crystal clear. It isn't a dry almost studio recording like the 72 Vegas releases for instance but if it was I think we would have lost the sense of occassion, excitement and passion. Ideally, the DVD could have carried a studio mix and concert mix but that's just a dream.

I would say it's like the Memphis 74 take on a mix which whilst not an audiophile recorording again really captures that sense of being there. I certainly don't think I will be playing the original CD's again as I really like the approach taken - Elvis vocals sound superb.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Robert wrote:

Agree on both accounts. They left more NBC footage behind.
Also, the back spots should have been left out so the fabulous footage could have been seen in total.
On top of that the distribution is a failure.
Why invest in an expensive remix and obtain rare footage but no Elvis fan is able to find it in store?
Only us hardcore fans know about this product but this is no FTD.
Great quality product but Sony dropped the ball here.

You can't make a store stock your item. They will only stock it if there is a potential for them to make money. Obviously stores don't think that this type of product from Elvis will make them money, and that it will simply take up valuable shelf space. They know how much trade they get from Elvis product much more than we do, and if it is minimal, then they won't stock it. Ironically, from what we have heard, An Afternoon in the Garden has been available in America at a knockdown price for the last year or so - so that's killed any passing interest the casual buyer will have in the item, as they already have half of the audio from Prince already.

The thing is that a lot of new Elvis product gets bought at Christmas time by non Elvis fans for their Elvis fan friends and relatives. Every new BMG/Sony Elvis release has been stocked by these stores until this one. When I asked the guy at Walmart if they had it on Tuesday, he said that I was the tenth person to ask him. So that's ten sales they may have lost. Will those 10 just go order it off the web? Maybe and maybe not. You also have to remember that a lot of Elvis fans are older and still don't use computers or the internet.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Jamie wrote:
Mike S wrote:As for the sound, this new mix isn't for me as levels have been artificially raised making it sound muddy and constricted on a good hi-fi system. Admittedly I haven't tried it on my car stereo which may be less forgiving. It would be interesting to hear what Matthew and other sound enthusiasts have to say on this in due course.

I understand what you say about the sound as there isn't a wide spread of instruments/vocals across the soundstage. Brauer is also renouned for his use of compression which may explain the sense of the dynamics being restricted.

That's interesting and explains a lot. He seems to have created a 'wall of sound' which although initially exciting soon becomes claustrophobic in my view. About half way through both shows I switched to previous releases* and found it a relief. Whilst these don't have the ambiance of the live shows in question, this is more than made up for by greater clarity and separation giving the different instruments 'room to breathe.' Each to his own, but I certainly won't be clamouring for more mixes of this type if this is the result.

* (Operation Big Apple CD 1 / Madison Sq. Gdn. Japanese 24 bit)

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Mike S wrote:
DEH wrote:what are the exact songs that have footage????

For a more detailed rundown, here's what you get:

Pre Show / 2001 (1 minute 10 secs)
Thats Alright (2 minutes 19 secs) complete
Proud Mary (1 minutes 23 secs)
Never Been To Spain (2 minutes 45 secs)
Polk Salad Annie (2 mins 10 secs)
Hearltbreak Hotel (1 minute 36 secs)
Reconsider Baby (11 secs)
Hound Dog (2 minutes 4 secs)
I'll Remember You (1 minute 3 secs)
Suspicious Minds (2 minutes 50 secs)
Introductions (25 secs)
American Trilogy (2 minutes 39 secs)
CHFIL + Outro (49 secs)

Sadly it's not quite as comprehensive as it might seem from above because the footage repeatedly breaks down, for example Suspicious Minds is filmed in four separate sections. Still nice to have though.

Thanks for the list. What s shame that Lance didn't film more of Reconsider Baby. Is this the only footage we have of that song anywhere?

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Mike S wrote:As for the sound, this new mix isn't for me as levels have been artificially raised making it sound muddy and constricted on a good hi-fi system. Admittedly I haven't tried it on my car stereo which may be less forgiving. It would be interesting to hear what Matthew and other sound enthusiasts have to say on this in due course.

My copy is in the mail though my hunger for a complete re-working of the audio diminished significantly when I first heard the Anesini remaster of the original 1972 mix on Complete Masters.

Unfortunately the appalling early 90s BMG CD created a lot, if not all of the problem with regards to the mass fan chanting for a MSG remix/remaster.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Matthew wrote:My copy is in the mail though my hunger for a complete re-working of the audio diminished significantly when I first heard the Anesini remaster of the original 1972 mix on Complete Masters.

Unfortunately the appalling early 90s BMG CD created a lot, if not all of the problem with regards to the mass fan chanting for a MSG remix/remaster.

Thanks for your reply.

As others have pointed out, the mix appears very similar to what we have had before, only now it has increased audience noise, a boost in bottom end frequencies and a liberal dose of reverb to finish off the effect....my guess is that you're not going to like it.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts when it arrives.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 am

I've listened to my original LP (received as a birthday gift in 1978) for years and it still is a kick.

But this one definitely sounded better (as well as the '92 CD) and I can't complain. I had it up loud and probably annoyed a neighbor or two
but it was that good.

I especially liked hearing the fuzz-sounding guitar on "I Can't Stop Loving You" more clearly then ever.

I don't think he made it too "loud"- but the "you are there" feeling is better than I recall.

I agree it's quite a lot to move from one event over several releases but I guess that's what had to vbe.

It's hard to begrudge Sony: I think retail outlets in the states are much less interested in older acts and really even contemporary acts.
They simply don't stock as much physical product anymore. I hate it but Americans have fallen in love with the "free" internet.

There's no getting around how much the 'net has changed the record business, as well as demographics of the Elvis fan
in 2012. But I'm glad they are trying!