Off Topic Messages

Merchant Finds Rare Blues Record

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Here's an article that was in my local Johnstown, Pa newspaper (The Tribune-Democrat) on Saturday, November 17, 2012.

PITTSBURGH - A local record store owner has found what he calls "the holy grail of 78s" in a box of old albums he picked up for $50.

Jerry Weber said he discovered a copy of the second song ever recorded by Mississippi blues legend Robert Johnson, "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom."

Weber told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the record is in good shape. He pegs its value at $6,000 to $12,000.

Collector John Tefteller specializes in rare blues and jazz records and estimates there are perhaps 15 to 30 copies of the record in existence in that condition.

Johnson was a blues master who died in 1938 at age 27. His landmark recordings were reissued in the 1960s, influencing Eric Clapton and a host of other rock 'n' roll icons.

Re: Merchant Finds Rare Blues Record

Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Amazing! Thanks for posting.

"Collector John Tefteller specializes in rare blues and jazz records and estimates there are perhaps 15 to 30 copies of the record in existence in that condition."

Thankfully some still love digging for forgotten classics and rare gems waiting to be discovered.

I Believe I'll Dust My Broom [Remastered] ROBERT JOHNSON

phpBB [video]

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:01 am

One sold at auction for almost $6,000 about six years ago.

Robert Johnson "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom"/ "Dead Shrimp Blues" 78 Vocalion 3475 (1936). Recorded during the legendary bluesman's San Antonio sessions in 1936, "Dust My Broom", of all of Johnson's recordings, may have provided the most imitated lick. Whatever the number of copies that still exist -- 15? 20? -- it ain't many, and this is the first time we've offered one. Both labels show wear, but, then, it is about to be 70 years old! A nice surprise is that both sides play better than they look, and without skips. Condition: GD-VG 4.

370000_Vocalion 03475a_Dust My Broom_Johnson.JPG

370000_Vocalion 03475b_Dead Shrimp Blues_Johnson.JPG

2006 April Music Memorabilia Auction #622
Sold for: $5,975.00
http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=622&lotIdNo=68006

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:20 am

Beside being perhaps the greatest of all blues artists, I find it fascinating that Robert Johnson died (was likely poisoned by the wife of a jealous husband) on August 16, 1938.

If you do not know his music, the newest iteration of his modest catalog is BY FAR the finest audio quality:

110426_The Complete Recordings_Johnson.JPG
Robert Johnson, The Complete Recordings: The Centennial Collection (Sony Legacy, April 2011)
http://reviews.wikinut.com/Review-of-Robert-Johnson%3A-The-Centennial-Collection/37u88iy_/

This is the kind of music that will change your life. And the 2xCD set may be had for about $12.00:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Recordings-Centennial-Collection/dp/B004OFWLO0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.