Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 am

elvis-fan wrote:I rarely find pricing as competitive at the retail level as I do online... and with free shipping, I don't have to go through the hassle of going to the store to pick it up. I realize not everyone feels that way, but the product is available. If I was a store owner, I would not fill my shelves with any releases by Elvis Presley... I can understand why shops would keep very little Presley product in stock... it's 2012.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21732391
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Prince+from+Another...+%5BDVD%5D+%5BBox%5D+%5B11/12%5D+-+CD/6909686.p?id=2562896&skuId=6909686&st=elvis%20presley&lp=1&cp=1
http://hmv.ca/Products/Detail/680703.aspx


The fact that it's 2012 kind of works both ways Elvis fan. Sure Elvis' fan base is older but the people who buy physical product these days are older people. It's not that unreasonable to expect BMG to get placement on a major reissue. Of course, for the stores like Walmart and Target, they are not equipped physically for boxed sets. As some have mentioned that may be the issue there because- Young Man With a Big Beat aside (an even more cumbersome to stock boxed set) I don't remember the last Elvis release that Walmart didn't have in stock.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 am

likethebike wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I rarely find pricing as competitive at the retail level as I do online... and with free shipping, I don't have to go through the hassle of going to the store to pick it up. I realize not everyone feels that way, but the product is available. If I was a store owner, I would not fill my shelves with any releases by Elvis Presley... I can understand why shops would keep very little Presley product in stock... it's 2012.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21732391
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Prince+from+Another...+%5BDVD%5D+%5BBox%5D+%5B11/12%5D+-+CD/6909686.p?id=2562896&skuId=6909686&st=elvis%20presley&lp=1&cp=1
http://hmv.ca/Products/Detail/680703.aspx


The fact that it's 2012 kind of works both ways Elvis fan. Sure Elvis' fan base is older but the people who buy physical product these days are older people. It's not that unreasonable to expect BMG to get placement on a major reissue. Of course, for the stores like Walmart and Target, they are not equipped physically for boxed sets. As some have mentioned that may be the issue there because- Young Man With a Big Beat aside (an even more cumbersome to stock boxed set) I don't remember the last Elvis release that Walmart didn't have in stock.

I'm not saying I wouldn't carry any Elvis CD's... but it's crazy to think any of the major retailers would carry several copies of any Elvis releases in any one location... :smt023

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 am

My local Wal-Mart didn't have the Legacy Edition of the Madison Square Garden release. I traveled 36 miles to another Wal-Mart and found 2 copies of the Legacy release and no Deluxe Edition. I went to the Best Buy and found about 4 copies of Legacy....no Deluxe Version. I went to another Wal-mart which was 10 miles farther than the other one and found 3 copies of the Legacy Edition and no Deluxe "Prince" version. I was just about to give up when I remembered the FYE store where I found 3 copies of the Deluxe "Prince" edition in the doorway to the store....one copy was squashed and the other two fine so I bought one for $27.99. They had a couple copies of the Legacy Edition. I really thought this would have been better promoted that it was. I did not buy the Legacy edition as I opted for Green Day's New cd "Dos". I may or may not get the Legacy edition. By the way, my local Wal-mart and the Wal-mart that was 46 miles away has downsized their stock of cds since one of my last visits (not a good sign). Best buy has downsized their cd stock as well and Target has really cut back on cd stock so much that I did not even bother checking them out.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:15 am

elvis-fan wrote:
likethebike wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I rarely find pricing as competitive at the retail level as I do online... and with free shipping, I don't have to go through the hassle of going to the store to pick it up. I realize not everyone feels that way, but the product is available. If I was a store owner, I would not fill my shelves with any releases by Elvis Presley... I can understand why shops would keep very little Presley product in stock... it's 2012.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21732391
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Prince+from+Another...+%5BDVD%5D+%5BBox%5D+%5B11/12%5D+-+CD/6909686.p?id=2562896&skuId=6909686&st=elvis%20presley&lp=1&cp=1
http://hmv.ca/Products/Detail/680703.aspx


The fact that it's 2012 kind of works both ways Elvis fan. Sure Elvis' fan base is older but the people who buy physical product these days are older people. It's not that unreasonable to expect BMG to get placement on a major reissue. Of course, for the stores like Walmart and Target, they are not equipped physically for boxed sets. As some have mentioned that may be the issue there because- Young Man With a Big Beat aside (an even more cumbersome to stock boxed set) I don't remember the last Elvis release that Walmart didn't have in stock.

I'm not saying I wouldn't carry any Elvis CD's... but it's crazy to think any of the major retailers would carry several copies of any Elvis releases in any one location... :smt023


Each Wal-mart I visited had like 5 and 6 copies of the Fan Favorites cd......LOL .....can you imagine that???

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:25 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:Each Wal-mart I visited had like 5 and 6 copies of the Fan Favorites cd......LOL .....can you imagine that???

Figures... it's a classic! :smt023

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:30 am

I may be being thick, but why would someone go 36 miles out of their way to get something that they could have delivered to their door? If it ain't in stock in your home town, order the damn thing online. Anyone would think you were hunting around for a bag of sugar during a period of rationing.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 am

poormadpeter wrote:I may be being thick, but why would someone go 36 miles out of their way to get something that they could have delivered to their door? If it ain't in stock in your home town, order the damn thing online. Anyone would think you were hunting around for a bag of sugar during a period of rationing.

Right... again back to the "it's 2012" thing... if I could work from home and afford to have groceries delivered daily to my door... I would never leave my house. Use the internet people! It's a wonderful thing!! :smt023

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:28 am

elvis-fan wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I may be being thick, but why would someone go 36 miles out of their way to get something that they could have delivered to their door? If it ain't in stock in your home town, order the damn thing online. Anyone would think you were hunting around for a bag of sugar during a period of rationing.

Right... again back to the "it's 2012" thing... if I could work from home and afford to have groceries delivered daily to my door... I would never leave my house. Use the internet people! It's a wonderful thing!! :smt023

I do work from home, so groceries is (usually) the only reason I need to go out. Although my mailbox is 50 miles away and in another country.

Brian

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 am

For those checking out Best Buy don't forget to look where they keep the box sets. That's where I found PFAP and the Legacy edition was in the regular spot. I doubt WM will carry PFAP because of the price and size. I expect all WM's will have the Legacy edition as they have always carried all the other Legacy issues.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:29 am

Me, I like to go out and get out of the house, like to drive listen to music or talk radio on the way. I wouldn't drive 36 miles to go to a Walmart, I would and do it to go to the rare record shop. Of course, that's more of day thing, I don't go for just thing I go to browse for a few hours and pick up several finds.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:04 am

In past 2 days where I'm at (Charlotte N.C.) went to Walmart,Target,and a couple other stores that sell CDs and none of them had it.also didn't see any advertisement in any of the ads in the paper.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:26 am

I took the lazy way out. Instead of driving around the state looking for a copy, I ordered from Amazon! My copy will arrive tomorrow with the US mail.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:04 pm

eric wrote:In past 2 days where I'm at (Charlotte N.C.) went to Walmart,Target,and a couple other stores that sell CDs and none of them had it.also didn't see any advertisement in any of the ads in the paper.


Charlotte used to be 'Elvis territory' right?

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Robert wrote:
eric wrote:In past 2 days where I'm at (Charlotte N.C.) went to Walmart,Target,and a couple other stores that sell CDs and none of them had it.also didn't see any advertisement in any of the ads in the paper.


Charlotte used to be 'Elvis territory' right?


I kinda thought it still was.I work in Charlotte.You have at least three active fan clubs that meet every month.I cant begin to tell you how many impersonator shows are happening every weekend.Elvis does have lots of fans in this area.I've met so many great people down here who have fantastic stories about him.Of course that doesnt guarantee reatil sales.I order everything from Amazon myself.I have not seen or heard anything about the release locally.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:45 pm

I saw Elvis in Charlotte in '72, '74, '76 and '77. Great memories!!

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:31 pm

did you not try the record stores like lunchbox, or caravan ? in Charlotte nc?they useally stock EP.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57 pm

I live in Denver and no stores in my little area have it. I didn't really go out looking for it only, I was shopping anyway but the Walmarts, Target, Best Buy, and indy record store didn't have them. I'll just order it online. Who has it the cheapest? Amazon?

For those that are bound and determined to buy it from Walmart, you can order it "Site To Store", where you order it online and pick it up at the nearest store to you. I think Best Buy and Target have the same thing.

i was surprised not to find them at Walmart. They always have a few copies of the latest Elvis releases. They had a fairly big supply of the Elvis On Tour release in 2010.
Last edited by eligain on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:06 pm

Finally found 1 copy(deluxe)at a Barnes & Noble at a mall just outside of Charlotte.
I'm a little surprise at how hard it is to find this.
Plenty of Elvis Love And Elvis Christmas tho.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:24 pm

I think it's the size. My local Target rarely has squat from anybody, but the Walmart and Best Buy had special editions of Elvis Country and Elvis is Back (Best Buy) and Elvis Presley and On Stage along with the usual greatest hits assortments.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Nothing in Nashville - I can't believe it, Nashville Tennessee and one can't find this newest Elvis release!

I gave up looking for it in stores and ordered from Amazon. I will have it tomorrow.

It's really a shame - there are many folks - especially older folks without computers - who will miss out on this because it's not available in stores. Not to mention just the casual buyer who "just happens to see it" on the store shelf and decides to pick it up.

My dad is one who doesn't have a computer but loves Elvis music (especially the 70's live stuff), who goes to Wal-mart but if not for me telling him, would've missed this entirely! Sad for many Elvis fans.

Bad/poor marketing!



RKS

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Nothing in Nashville - I can't believe it, Nashville Tennessee and one can't find this newest Elvis release!

I gave up looking for it in stores and ordered from Amazon. I will have it tomorrow.

It's really a shame - there are many folks - especially older folks without computers - who will miss out on this because it's not available in stores. Not to mention just the casual buyer who "just happens to see it" on the store shelf and decides to pick it up.

My dad is one who doesn't have a computer but loves Elvis music (especially the 70's live stuff), who goes to Wal-mart but if not for me telling him, would've missed this entirely! Sad for many Elvis fans.

Bad/poor marketing!




RKS




This really is bad marketing. To not have this in major retailers for the Christmas season and lose the people looking for gifts for their Elvis fan family members and friends. I would have bought it from Walmart had I found it yesterday. I know so many older people (50 +) who don't have computers or aren't on the internet and a few young ones as well.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 am

It hit me some five years ago if not earlier that our breed is considered on the way out.

I've traveled much of the country and found that in addition to the end of the traditonal record store (in some ways gone for decades) but still hanging on in spots, that it's just about over.

I've noticed that in the South and Mid-West, you'll find bigger CD sections at Wal-Mart; Best Buy and Target (etc.) as country fans and more rural folk haven't totally
given up on physical product for the download.

But in so many areas, I'll find if anything a big Latino/ Hispanic section (along demographic still buying CDs) but otherwise the message is:

go to the internet (Amazon is as strong as ever) or get with it and download.

I buy from Amazon these days to spare me all the driving around as most stores just do not stock much , let alone Elvis. It is nice when I see it
but it's usually even later on.
I miss the atmosphere of the stores (even the bland big stores) but have made my peace with Amazon and other on-line sources of CDs.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:02 pm

eligain wrote:I live in Denver and no stores in my little area have it. I didn't really go out looking for it only, I was shopping anyway but the Walmarts, Target, Best Buy, and indy record store didn't have them. I'll just order it online. Who has it the cheapest? Amazon?

For those that are bound and determined to buy it from Walmart, you can order it "Site To Store", where you order it online and pick it up at the nearest store to you. I think Best Buy and Target have the same thing.

i was surprised not to find them at Walmart. They always have a few copies of the latest Elvis releases. They had a fairly big supply of the Elvis On Tour release in 2010.


Hey, I live in Winsdor...You can't even find sh*t around here in Colorado! :x
There's so much I try to find, you never find it around here! So, I have one of my friends to order online whatever I need something.

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:49 am

The local Wal-Mart: nothing. (not surprised for they never had any of Elvis' Legacy releases.)

The local HMV: one copy of the 2-disc edition (don't know if they had more and sold them).

The local books & CDs style store: same as HMV.

(I'm happy I ordered the 3-disc set from Amazon....)

Re: PFAP Walmart, Best Buy, Target etc.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 am

Just received my order from Amazon today. It's an Christmas gift so I could not open it. I didn't care for the cover...at least the way it looked online but I was able to hold it and check it out and I really like it. Can't wait!