Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet - Brilliant!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:00 am

elvisjock wrote:
Did you notice Elvis clearing his throat after Impossible Dream? That's not part of the Legacy presentation. There's also no fade-in before Impossible Dream, as there's been on all other CD releases.

Ha, you beat me to it, Elvisjock. I wanted to announce for the completists out there, we have a previously unreleased throat clearing on the set. That's why we had an edit between The Impossible Dream and the introductions. It wasn't an edited out song.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 am

Mine arrived yesterday (it took no more than two days to be delivered from the United States). But not being able to meet the courier due to heavy schedule at work, it has been delivered to my mother's house. I will not be able to visit her until Sunday - now that's what I call strength of will.

BrianTCB wrote:It is my hope that PFAP is the kind of package they're using to test the waters for future video releases. It is also my hope they sell the hell out of it and that it DOES result in more releases of this nature.

Good point. This is the main reason I have decided to spend the money on this release (basically not being a fan of the MSG concerts).

But I have to admit that I haven't been so anxious about getting an Elvis Presley release for some years now.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:31 am

Russian fan wrote:Mine arrived yesterday (it took no more than two days to be delivered from the United States). But not being able to meet the courier due to heavy schedule at work, it has been delivered to my mother's house. I will not be able to visit her until Sunday - now that's what I call strength of will.

BrianTCB wrote:It is my hope that PFAP is the kind of package they're using to test the waters for future video releases. It is also my hope they sell the hell out of it and that it DOES result in more releases of this nature.

Good point. This is the main reason I have decided to spend the money on this release (basically not being a fan of the MSG concerts).

But I have to admit that I haven't been so anxious about getting an Elvis Presley release for some years now.

You are in for a real treat then!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:10 am

Mister Mike wrote:Received this beauty today. Wish Amazon had shipped it in a box instead of a bubbled envelope but I did get it with minimal spine bending. Went over the 2 shows quickly. I enjoy the new mixes, though they are a little 'busy' (lots going on in the center, little on either sides). The evening show now seems to be complete, with no in-between song edits. Is it just me or do we hear someone singing 'That's All Right' along with the closing vamp?Wish the press conference was more complete. It's annoying to hear a question being asked only to have the video cut to something else before Elvis can answer.

I noticed that. There's someone singing for sure but it's buried in the mix.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 am

I received my copy yesterday and watched the DVD. The documentary doesn't reveal too much details, but still is nice to watch. The 8mm clips are also nice, but watching the complete afternoon show there is too much black for my taste. Maybe Sony just should have used the songs that were actually filmed.

The CDs were given a quick spin, I just checked one or two songs of each show, but I was certainly pleased by what I heared.

The booklet is also well done, the whole product gives the impression of quality and being the definitive release of the King's shows at MSG.

:D

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:22 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:I received my copy yesterday and watched the DVD. The documentary doesn't reveal too much details, but still is nice to watch. The 8mm clips are also nice, but watching the complete afternoon show there is too much black for my taste. Maybe Sony just should have used the songs that were actually filmed.

The CDs were given a quick spin, I just checked one or two songs of each show, but I was certainly pleased by what I heared.

The booklet is also well done, the whole product gives the impression of quality and being the definitive release of the King's shows at MSG.

Just select the track option and go to any song you like for the footage. Or read the booklet then view every time Elvis appears...I've no complaints –– APFAP Rocks!!!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:I received my copy yesterday and watched the DVD. The documentary doesn't reveal too much details, but still is nice to watch. The 8mm clips are also nice, but watching the complete afternoon show there is too much black for my taste. Maybe Sony just should have used the songs that were actually filmed.

My thoughts excatly. I think that would've been a better choise since the audio is already complete on the 1st CD. The missing footage bits could've been filled in with stills.

a mess of polk salad wrote:Just select the track option and go to any song you like for the footage. Or read the booklet then view every time Elvis appears...I've no complaints –– APFAP Rocks!!!

There's no way of knowing which tracks have footage and which do not. Better way to deal with this would've been to create an option on the DVD to just watch the bits where there's footage available.
Last edited by Marko on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:36 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Rob wrote:
Jamie wrote:How do you know he didn't have the belt in the 11th? He is wearing it in other photos for the 11th, so what's the story? I am not disputing it just interested to know what went on?

Our own Greybeard was there. He said that Elvis took the belt off prior to Hound Dog on June 11th.[/quote

Ok thanks Rob, Greybeard is one lucky guy! That's suggests the photo in the book is wrongly attributed to the Evening show then.

cheers Jamie

"He removed the belt on the 11th show also. He did it during the blues opening for HOUND DOG. I was at this show and was amazed at the thud it made when it hit the floor. Elvis said something to the effect of "I'm trying to be sexy.." Funny moment. I didn't realize he did it on the 10th too."
Greybeard

So when he took off the belt during the evening show on the 10th, he must have put it back on upside down... is that correct?
Looking at the pictures from both the evening show on the 10th and the show on the 11th, it appears he came out on the 10th with a red scarf and on the 11th with a white scarf (same jumpsuit).

I was suprised to see he wore the same suit in the last two concerts - hope the guys got it dry cleaned for him first otherwise it must have been a bit fruity!

Just on the topic of the mix, whilst the placement is similar to original versions there is more to mixing that left/right placement such as the placement of instruments in the frequency range, the use of EQ on the channels and of course compression. I am no expert but the shows sound markedly different to me and I think that is not just re-mastering. But whatever they have done it is like hearing these for the first time. It really does feel like your in row 4 - I still can't believe just how good the music is, Elvis vocals are stunning and the band just rock. Yes it's a hundered mile an hour adrenalin rush but in a big stadium like that it works - it must have blown the roof off! Jus stunning.

One of the things that has stood out for me are Elvis vocals on Never Been To Spain. You can hear every breath and growl on the opening quiet verses before cutting lose, he sounds mean. By the end he's lost in the moment - it's obvious he's really in to it. JB's guitar work stings throughout and Ronnie's drumming now has more weight as they have brought the bass drum into the mix rather han just tom tom's which dominated on the original Evening show. I think that's a good example of how the re-mix has been applied.

My first album when I was 10 was Seperate Ways bought for my birthday in 1973. It was my first LP of anykind and i played it to bits - it was my very own and I didn't have to pester my older brother to play his Sweet albums (which was obviously why he bought me the Elvis album in hindsight). Anyway, that Xmas I got MSG and Aloha. I grew up on 72 Elvis and its remained my go to year even though I love other periods to. I feel lucky that so many live recordings are available for this period in what is surely his peak on the road. This release elevates these concerts onto another level again and makes you appreciate just how good he was when he was on his game. It's certainly my favorite release for some time.

cheers Jamie

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Re. the documentary. Very well done. Manages to remind us how much of an event those Garden concerts were. James doesn't have much to say, except to state the Colonel organized press conferences only once a year.... What?

What takes a little getting used to when listening to the new mix is hearing Elvis` voice echo throughout the Garden whenever he speaks.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Got my PFAP today at long last from HMV and all I can say is Prince From Another Planet = CDs From Another Planet !!! Best £13 I have ever spent on a Elvis release !!! Thank you very much Sony Music

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Mister Mike wrote:Re. the documentary. Very well done. Manages to remind us how much of an event those Garden concerts were. James doesn't have much to say, except to state the Colonel organized press conferences only once a year.... What?

What takes a little getting used to when listening to the new mix is hearing Elvis` voice echo throughout the Garden whenever he speaks.

I found the documentary to be disappointing. It is heavily padded with the bootleg film footage. It has the obligatory hipster critic (brush your teeth much?), as well as the obligatory Jerry Schilling. No matter. The sound of the discs, and the film itself, blows me away.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:46 pm

King Volcano wrote:
nyelvfan wrote:and the most important question....how the heck is the sound on the CDs?????? Especially the evening show...

IMO..

AS: Similar to An Afternoom.. CD but smoother, less digital-sounding & a bit more bass. The mix is rather like the FTD At the International.

ES: Streets ahead of the standard 1990s CD, full, beefy & powerful but pretty smooooth.

At last, a mixing job has been done well. No over the top reverb, no drums buried in the mix, no prominent tambourine, no feed from the Inspirations' mikes. This work has been done well. All the above applies. There is more bass response. Also, James' guitar is more prominent in the afternoon show. The 'f@rting' horn section during "Reconsider baby" has been toned down too, luckily.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Tony.. wrote:At last, a mixing job has been done well. No over the top reverb, no drums buried in the mix, no prominent tambourine, no feed from the Inspirations' mikes. This work has been done well. All the above applies. There is more bass response. Also, James' guitar is more prominent in the afternoon show. The 'f@rting' horn section during "Reconsider baby" has been toned down too, luckily.

Who are you and what have you done with Tony?!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Blue River wrote:
bajo wrote:I've just received my copy of the Legacy edition with the DVD.

bajo, the Legacy Edition does not come with a DVD.
It looks like this - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... =1&s=music

Sorry BlueRiver. But my copy actually states: RCA,LEGACY, DVD/VIDEO/NTCS. 88691953882. But, what the heck, it's such a thrill! :)

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 pm

I received this beautiful set today and am blown away by the sound and the overall high quality of the package. At just £14 from Amazon it must be the bargain of the year.

Just one question though; in the booklet Lenny Kaye mentions the Aloha show but gives the date as April 4th 1973!!! Was that the date that it originally aired on TV in the USA or is this a rather stunning mistake?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:46 pm

It was aired in the States on that date.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Rob wrote:
Tony.. wrote:At last, a mixing job has been done well. No over the top reverb, no drums buried in the mix, no prominent tambourine, no feed from the Inspirations' mikes. This work has been done well. All the above applies. There is more bass response. Also, James' guitar is more prominent in the afternoon show. The 'f@rting' horn section during "Reconsider baby" has been toned down too, luckily.

Who are you and what have you done with Tony?!

Very, very good.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Rob wrote:It was aired in the States on that date.

Ahh, wonderful. Thanks Rob.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:00 pm

My set arrivied yesterday.
DVD - Yes there is grain but the restoration must have been done well because even with the grain the live video is exciting to watch. I am enjoying the DVD more than I thought I would. I played it on my 65 inch wide screen TV and it looks good on there. Extras are good too. It isn't something that will be filed away. I can see myself putting it on often in the future.
CD's - I'm listening to the evening show now. It sounds great. I was perfectly happy with my remastered version on the Franklin set. But this new mix is almost like hearing it new. Is it better? I'm not really sure, but it does sound great. Lots of clarity and a, I am there feeling to it. I will get to the afternoon show later but it did sound good on the DVD.
Just my first thoughts. Almost forgot, the book is pretty cool too. Have not read it through completely yet. Photos are very good.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:21 pm

L Ray wrote:My set arrivied yesterday.
DVD - Yes there is grain but the restoration must have been done well because even with the grain the live video is exciting to watch. I am enjoying the DVD more than I thought I would. I played it on my 65 inch wide screen TV and it looks good on there. Extras are good too. It isn't something that will be filed away. I can see myself putting it on often in the future.
CD's - I'm listening to the evening show now. It sounds great. I was perfectly happy with my remastered version on the Franklin set. But this new mix is almost like hearing it new. Is it better? I'm not really sure, but it does sound great. Lots of clarity and a, I am there feeling to it. I will get to the afternoon show later but it did sound good on the DVD.
Just my first thoughts. Almost forgot, the book is pretty cool too. Have not read it through completely yet. Photos are very good.

Brilliant L Ray. I can't stop watching the documentary then choosing the footage tracks from the menu afterwards...Elvis ON TOUR was a visual feast but here Elvis seems to have taken it up a notch for the New York crowd. And he looks fabulously fit and healthy too. The 'Suspicious Minds' karate action was jaw-dropping. The Afternoon show has taken on a new significance because of the video elements and that Gold cape spread is just fantastic. We get to see how good he was at the Garden, and boy was he smokin!'

Don Lance seems to have captured all the best moments and although grainy it doesn't stop the enjoyment. I must have watched the doc about 10 times already it's so compelling...

'Polk Salad Annie' is terrific too watching Elvis shimmy across the stage and the dynamic ending - fabulous!!!
Yes the booklet's very good and informative with loads of great pics. 'Hound Dog' how cool is Elvis here - "hup, two, three. four - you ain't no friend of mine..."

Fantastic release - Elvis at his quintessential 1970s best...
2630459-elvis-presley-msg-617-409.jpg

MSG%20Jumpsuit%204.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:58 am

I agree that he took it up a notch. I suspect that these Garden shows were his best shows for the year of 1972. I saw the Nov. 72 Oakland show and I don't remember him being this active on stage, Although it was a great show that I saw. Yeah the karate moves are great.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:11 am

L Ray wrote:I agree that he took it up a notch. I suspect that these Garden shows were his best shows for the year of 1972. I saw the Nov. 72 Oakland show and I don't remember him being this active on stage, Although it was a great show that I saw. Yeah the karate moves are great.

He did do "Burning Love" at that Oakland show -- when it was #1 on the Cashbox chart. That's pretty cool.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:24 am

bajo wrote:
Blue River wrote:
bajo wrote:I've just received my copy of the Legacy edition with the DVD.

bajo, the Legacy Edition does not come with a DVD.
It looks like this - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... =1&s=music

Sorry BlueRiver. But my copy actually states: RCA,LEGACY, DVD/VIDEO/NTCS...

Yes, I understand what you're saying, but Prince From Another Planet is not what is known as a "Legacy Edition" release.

Matthew attempted to explain the very same thing to KiwiAlan on more than one occasion in the past.

Oh well, no big deal, bajo... the main thing is that you enjoy it! 8)

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:40 am

It may not be a legacy edition as such, but the format is almost the same as the legacy editions of Johnny Cash's San Quentin and Folsom Prison Concerts. Both of those Legacy editions have 2 CDs and a DVD documentary. Bizarrely, neither of those issues actually include the original album, but instead choose to include the two shows that were edited into that album - which in turn shows that Sony were lying through their teeth when they said that the edition from a decade ago was the unedited San Quentin/Folson concerts! Either way, Prince has the same format, and ALSO doesn't include the original albums in their original format for they have been quite dramatically remixed.

Unless Matthew has written something on Prince which I have missed (and he may have done), he has written in the past that Elvis legacy editions have little relation to items in the series for other artists in that they do not include rarities and have, instead, been a vehicle for twofers.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:52 am

L Ray wrote:I agree that he took it up a notch. I suspect that these Garden shows were his best shows for the year of 1972. I saw the Nov. 72 Oakland show and I don't remember him being this active on stage, Although it was a great show that I saw. Yeah the karate moves are great.

Wow! You saw him in the 70s...