Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: MGM -> April 1972 videotape from "This Is Elvis"

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:06 pm

DarrylMac wrote:I would expect there to have been at least 2 cameras in Buffalo. My reasoning is a large part of the reason for being there was for them to get an understanding of Elvis show, and coreography. All crew were to watch this footgage before the next shows, and so it would make sense for one camera always to be on Elvis from the front, with then at least one other camera, either fixed, or another handheld to get various other angles.

Wasnt 2 Camera's seen in On Tour itself? one from the back of the stage, and the one filmd with the hand held camera?

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:33 pm

yep you are right

all these years we have been told it was shot with 1 camera

but that's funny as there is a 2nd cameraman behind the stage filming :)

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:I would expect there to have been at least 2 cameras in Buffalo. My reasoning is a large part of the reason for being there was for them to get an understanding of Elvis show, and coreography. All crew were to watch this footgage before the next shows, and so it would make sense for one camera always to be on Elvis from the front, with then at least one other camera, either fixed, or another handheld to get various other angles.

Wasnt 2 Camera's seen in On Tour itself? one from the back of the stage, and the one filmd with the hand held camera?

Yes you are right Johnny 2523 - see picture below to confirm this - Enjoy -
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 am

But this is Richmound that show there would be many cams, i think Buffalo was shot with one, front row

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:53 am

karlos wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Sorry carlos but i was talking about buffalo

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:55 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
karlos wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:

Sorry carlos but i was talking about buffalo

ok buddy i understand -Thank you -

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:57 am

i meant these shots. one from the front row
and one from the back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:58 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Sorry carlos but i was talking about buffalo

There had to have been at least two video cameras rolling in Buffalo on April 5, 1972, because small segments of "Suspicious Minds" from stage right and behind drummer Ronnie Tutt have been seen in the 1981 Warner Brothers documentary "This Is Elvis" (during the "Kung Fu Fighting" sequence for the former, "Promised Land" sequence for the latter).

Kung Fu Fighting.jpg

Promised Land.jpg
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:05 am

yep same pics as me, Mine where the same shots as urs but took mine from the on tour DVD, Must have been 2 camera's definatly.

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:08 am

Johnny2523 wrote:yep same pics as me, Mine where the same shots as urs but took mine from the on tour DVD, Must have been 2 camera's definatly.

Ah, so both "Elvis On Tour" and "This Is Elvis" use Buffalo footage!

It sure would be nice to see what the whole thing looks like. I'm pretty certain during the "Promised Land" segment in "This Is Elvis" where Elvis is running for the limousine and fans are stampeding behind is also from Buffalo. And it would make a damn exciting ending to a concert DVD of that show!

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:yep same pics as me, Mine where the same shots as urs but took mine from the on tour DVD, Must have been 2 camera's definatly.

Ah, so both "Elvis On Tour" and "This Is Elvis" use Buffalo footage!

It sure would be nice to see what the whole thing looks like. I'm pretty certain during the "Promised Land" segment in "This Is Elvis" where Elvis is running for the limousine and fans are stampeding behind is also from Buffalo. And it would make a damn exciting ending to a concert DVD of that show!

I Agree, Altough noth sure about that ending of on tour. Doc can this be right

This shot is taken 1 second before elvis jumps in the limousine.. the ring he's wearing here. I dont see that one on his hand during hampton

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:14 am

Exactly -- the run to the limo is from Buffalo, NY.

New Yorkers can get pretty crazy, you know. ;-)

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Exactly -- the run to the limo is from Buffalo, NY.

New Yorkers can get pretty crazy, you know. ;-)

I hope sony gets enough sales out of prince from another planet.. and that on tour gets a proper release.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:36 am

I'm very excited about Buffolo

I can't believe how clean the picture is

I wonder if they have this on soundboard or even the 2 remaining MSG shows ?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:30 am

Whatever was filmed in Buffalo, even though not complete should be on DVD...every bit of it.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:17 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Whatever was filmed in Buffalo, even though not complete should be on DVD...every bit of it.

Nothing was filmed in Buffalo, but all of the Abel videotape archive from 4-05-1972 should be released to the fans.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Just to be clear, they filmed 2 Powder Blue suit runs to the Limo. One, used in EOT, was filmed in Hampton, as can be seen by the white fireworks suit belt. The other, used in TIE in the promised land sequence, is from Buffalo shows the original belt, with a Buffalo sign in the backgroud. Here's the exit sequence used in TIE, note the belt and the sign...

Buffalo Exit.jpg

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 am

The run to the limousine, so very exciting to see in "This Is Elvis," is likely from the cameraman who was behind Ronnie Tutt. It was only 5 songs later (after "Suspicious Minds") that Presley skedaddled.

Elvis Presley
Wednesday, April 5, 1972
Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, NY

Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra
C. C. Rider
Proud Mary
Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
Until It's Time For You To Go
Polk Salad Annie
Love Me
Blue Suede Shoes
All Shook Up
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
Hound Dog
A Big Hunk O' Love
I Can't Stop Loving You
Love Me Tender
Suspicious Minds
An American Trilogy
Introductions of singers, musicians
Johnny B. Goode
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Funny How Time Slips Away
Can't Help Falling In Love

http://crazy_canuck.tripod.com/buffalo.html

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:34 am

See Dr

This is good news can you really think that a cameraman would sit there for 40 mins into the show doing nothing then start filming it's possible but i don't buy it.

I reckon full show was done from Abels camera down front and that 2nd camera from the back to get cut aways of fans and to capture the moment when he walked out.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:37 am

OnTourCam wrote:See Dr

This is good news can you really think that a cameraman would sit there for 40 mins into the show doing nothing then start filming ...

No, I do not think that at all. I am only saying this camera was the one in position to capture the exit from the building. It is my hope that both cameras rolled for the entire hour.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Being video tape they would have recorded all

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:16 pm

The Buffalo footage in EOT and TIE is clearly film, not video tape.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 pm

eligain wrote:The Buffalo footage in EOT and TIE is clearly film, not video tape.

Oh boy! Here we go!

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 pm

I woud love to even hear a bad quality copy of that 4-5-72 show. The 4-9 A.S. would be cool to locate too.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:20 pm

I have read the story about shooting the Buffalo show with one handheld videocamera, but I´m not sure if that is correct. They filmed the rehearsals in Buffalo. There is footage in EOT from the Buffalo rehearsal and there is even more footage from these rehearsals on some of the outtakes that is out there. My point is, why shoot with a video camera if the film crew was in town?