Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Prince from Another Planet Chart Predictions??

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Looks like "Prince From Another Planet" will chart in the Top 100 next week when it enters the chart in its 1st week, in the US. But how high? My prediction??? Based on sales at Amazon, Cd Universe, and other online sites....I will chance it at #32.
How about it folks???

Re: Prince from Another Planet Chart Predictions??

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I would love to say your right and I will if it`s true, but I don`t expect it to debut that high now that the Christmas market has hit, too much competition out there at retail

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Not just any number of Christmas albums taking spots inside the BB200. Actually there's 2 of Elvis himself inside the BB200!!! One it's "It's Christmas Time", at #60. Shame on RCA, BMG, SONY, whatever. (LOL)

I predict PFAP landing precisely inside the 60, bumbing "It's Christmas Time" below that position. Maybe 55. Let's see.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:39 pm

What I've read so far probably leads to limited chart success for PFAP as there seems limited distribution..
The Legacy version may end up higher?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:41 pm

well if it hits in the top 50 (I can`t see it) we will know before next Thursday, keep an eye out next Monday and Tuesday at hitsdailydouble.com

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:05 pm

what i notice is that on the 2 mixes, nowhere can the intro of cant help by Glen D be heard before i can't stop loving you (Like they did on the venus CD) did they again take that part out?

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 pm

It's a limited release so I don't expect it to chart high, if at all on the Billboard 200. If it wasn't a limited edition, then I think it would have fared much better.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Well since it's not available in most stores the sales will be much lower which in turn means the chart position will be lower.

RKS

Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:54 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Well since it's not available in most stores the sales will be much lower which in turn means the chart position will be lower.

Is it December 6th already? :D

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Is it December 6th already?

Doc,
You link to a thread that you wouldn't even respond to.

Did you actually read through that thread you linked to? Apparently not!

I never made a deal with anyone in that thread. You on the other hand, ignored those wanting to make a deal with you in that thread.

Not too confident then, but awfully cocky now! :lol: :P

Back on topic.

RKS

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 am

It's currently number 35 on the amazon charts, which shows just how little Elvis is selling. And we can;t even argue that this is because Elvis is now classed as easy listening, or that the older generations don't buy as much music etc. After all, Susan Boyle, an artist that is aimed at the middle-aged and elderly if ever there was one, is at number 1. What's more the amazon charts suggest that sales of Prince are falling, not rising. Bob Dylan's latest was released for months ago, and is still only one place below Prince. The UK amazon placings are even more depressing, with the cd currently at #66. While there could theoretically be an argument that the two different release formats have split the custom, that hasn't stopped the two different editions of Rod Stewarts Christmas album both faring considerably better than Elvis. Obvious amazon is not the same as the album charts, but it is an indicator - and the indications are that even a fine product like this is not going to set tills ringing a great deal outside of the fandom.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:11 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:You link to a thread that you wouldn't even respond to.

Apparently, you're the one who hasn't read through the topic.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262&start=75#p1098962
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262&start=75#p1099130
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262&start=75#p1099570
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262&start=75#p1101180

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:I never made a deal with anyone in that thread.

Oops, my bad. ;-)

---

Back on topic: I hope the set goes to #1.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 am

Apparently, you're the one who hasn't read through the topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262&start=75#p1098962
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262&start=75#p1099130
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262&start=75#p1099570
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73262&start=75#p1101180

You must think you're the smartest guy in the room.

You posted after the fact - first post November 7th.

Nice try though!

Back on topic - the set will not likely go to #1 if it's not sold in retail stores where casual buyers can find it.

RKS

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:08 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:You must think you're the smartest guy in the room.

Oh, never.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:01 am

It does seem to be limited in stores, but seems to be doing pretty good online. So maybe, and I stress maybe, because of the online sales, it will push it in the Top 50 in the US.
I also think it will be a steady seller, t'ill Christmas.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:37 am

Just ordered mine on Amazon 3 days ago.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:00 am

"Watch the watch"

My prediction is a #1

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:42 am

but seems to be doing pretty good online

Of course it is - online is the only place you can find it!

RKS

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:23 am

Maybe the suggestion could have been made in the existing PFAP chart thread. There are currently 18 PFAP threads on the first two pages of All Elvis. I'm not sure why new threads are needed for every observation about a release.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:02 am

In what world is #35 bad for 40 year old music? The only "new" thing here is 20 minutes of video and for those who don't want that video there are at least two competing records on the market, the original editions and the deluxe LPs. Susan Boyle is a horrible comparison because Ms. Boyle is a contemporary artist releasing new music, music her fans almost surely don't have. And while Bob Dylan is not a contemporary artist his product is also new music that his fans don't have. What Elvis fans are getting is an old product with upgraded sound, and some new video. It's not fair to extrapolate from that Elvis is no longer selling. Plus, it's a boxed set running twice the price of your standard CD. It's all context people.

A Chuck Berry, a Dion, a Moody Blues would love to move what this product will move.

For what it's worth, the original Afternoon in the Garden set moved about 200,000 in its initial run and never made the charts. That certainly didn't mean Elvis wasn't selling; he just wasn't selling at the level of the top artists of the day.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 am

likethebike wrote:In what world is #35 bad for 40 year old music? The only "new" thing here is 20 minutes of video and for those who don't want that video there are at least two competing records on the market, the original editions and the deluxe LPs. Susan Boyle is a horrible comparison because Ms. Boyle is a contemporary artist releasing new music, music her fans almost surely don't have. And while Bob Dylan is not a contemporary artist his product is also new music that his fans don't have. What Elvis fans are getting is an old product with upgraded sound, and some new video. It's not fair to extrapolate from that Elvis is no longer selling. Plus, it's a boxed set running twice the price of your standard CD. It's all context people.

A Chuck Berry, a Dion, a Moody Blues would love to move what this product will move.

For what it's worth, the original Afternoon in the Garden set moved about 200,000 in its initial run and never made the charts. That certainly didn't mean Elvis wasn't selling; he just wasn't selling at the level of the top artists of the day.

Well said man! :wink:

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 pm

In my discussions with the local Sony rep, there is low expectations that Prince will chart (maybe top 50-40 in Australia) being basically a boxset - a presumption because its 3 discs - but very well priced: As Recorded is deemed to have a better chance BUT had it been promoted and had the attractiveness of the Prince set: catch 22! FM Radio play wont be an option; so unless there is in-store promotion (perhaps pay a rebate to stores to play the CDs 'x' amount of times per day, POS posters) or TV advertising, its pretty simple, isn't it(?), no one will know it exists, except us Elvis nuts.

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm

TJ wrote:Maybe the suggestion could have been made in the existing PFAP chart thread. There are currently 18 PFAP threads on the first two pages of All Elvis. I'm not sure why new threads are needed for every observation about a release.

I think the multithreads are a statement the release is very welcomed by fans and despite the (unrealistic) very high expectations (which elvisfans are known for) it still is a winner in all aspects (that is if it sells as well as it seems, we can expect maybe more of these kind of releases, oh you see this is what i mean by unrealistic expectations, here i go again)!

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:drjohncarpenter wrote:
Is it December 6th already?

Doc,
You link to a thread that you wouldn't even respond to.

I never made a deal with anyone in that thread. You on the other hand, ignored those wanting to make a deal with you in that thread.

Not too confident then, but awfully cocky now! :lol: :P

Back on topic.

RKS

No he didn't ignore anything, he knew I had his back! :D

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:56 pm

likethebike wrote:In what world is #35 bad for 40 year old music? The only "new" thing here is 20 minutes of video and for those who don't want that video there are at least two competing records on the market, the original editions and the deluxe LPs. Susan Boyle is a horrible comparison because Ms. Boyle is a contemporary artist releasing new music, music her fans almost surely don't have. And while Bob Dylan is not a contemporary artist his product is also new music that his fans don't have. What Elvis fans are getting is an old product with upgraded sound, and some new video. It's not fair to extrapolate from that Elvis is no longer selling. Plus, it's a boxed set running twice the price of your standard CD. It's all context people.

1.) LTB, on these boards when artist X or Y has been classed as having more hits than Elvis (or something similar), we get comments that the current charts aren't the same as the old ones as you have to sell far fewer units than you used to, blah blah blah.

2.) At the same time, the same people are telling us that Warner should release EOT in a special edition and spend a huge amount of money on it because there are hundreds of thousands of people who buy Elvis's music and he has millions of fans.

3.) Now we come to Prince from Another Planet. The key thing here is not the video footage necessarily, but the remix. Fans have been asking for a remix of the evening show for decades. Now it is here and got good reviews, virtually every serious fan will buy a copy of this long-awaited set. And yet all of those fans buying this set in the first week of release still can't push a release such as this into the more business end of the chart.

Now this means one of two things:

Either
Point (1) is incorrect
or
Point (2) is incorrect