Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Blue River wrote:
sheila wrote:Wonder if it's still can be found or has been long deleted?

It's been deleted, but there are still good used copies to be found.
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used



sheila wrote:I thought the cassette died in the Early 90's! Wow.

I bought the Artist Of The Century (3 cassette set) in 1999
and
Elvis 2nd To None cd & cassette in 2003 (was one of the last cassette issues, if I'm not mistaken).


I never listen to them, but I got "Essential Elvis vol.3" on a cassette and "A little less conversation" cassette single. Some of the original cassettes from the late 60's to the mid 70's sell for high prices often.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:20 pm

The set was a weird mish-mash of material that didn't seem to know what audience it was catering for. The unreleased soundboard material on disc 4 indicated it was for fans, whereas the already released material from feb 1970, 1972 and 1956 suggested it was for the general public. A live boxed set wasn't a bad idea, and the august 1970 concert is superb, but one can only wonder if a live set should have covered the whole picture rather than just Vegas. A comprehensive "best of" live set, also including unreleased versions, might have been the way to go.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 pm

I agree an Elvis Live set would have been more interesting than a Vegas focused product, the end result of which largely failed as a concept.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 pm

It being 12 years and counting since the LILV box set, I think it's about time that they focus on a new live box set. I'd like to see a single disc of the best of '69 live put together minis all the dialogues. Kind of an ultimate 1969 concert. Maybe do the same with the unreleased 1972 live material. And for the third disc, they could include a full soundboard tour show.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:43 pm

HERE'S THE PROMO POSTER (SIZE OF A RECORD) GIVEN TO ME YEARS AGO FROM A RECORD DEALER.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:49 am

I think this box is an excellent listen. The 69 and 70 shows are fantastic, Elvis at his best; the sounboards on the 4 disc/tape are interesting because we get to here him do songs that weren't always in his set lists. I had this box before I got any of the FTD soundboard cd's, so it was a good introduction to that world.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:24 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:I'd like to see a single disc of the best of '69 live put together minis all the dialogues. Kind of an ultimate 1969 concert.

A 1969 disc with all the dialogue removed would not result in an ultimate 1969 concert experience.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Got the vinyl version and it's brilliant!

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:29 pm

I have some second thoughts on this set.
The 1969 show has the dialoge placed at the end of the cd! A major weird decision. Either leave it at its original (preferably) or totally remove it.
Worse even, to have mixed out the piano almost completely is a crime as the playing of the piano by Larry Mohuberac is just wonderfull and really adds something to the music.
Cd2 is great as it is.
Cd 3 and 4 should have been used for the best soundboards/multitracks after that. The 1956 show should have stayed, because he was coming back anyway, friends!

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:Got the vinyl version and it's brilliant!

Yeah it really is. Just wish the vinyl they used was quieter, but the dynamics were terrific.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Mike Eder wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Got the vinyl version and it's brilliant!

Yeah it really is. Just wish the vinyl they used was quieter, but the dynamics were terrific.

I managed to bag one NEW copy a couple of years ago Mike...love it to bits.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:54 pm

I got this boxset in 2006 and I think I had the Burbank 68 and Too Much Monkey Business FTD cds around the same time. I was more into the Burbank 68 cd , but I really loved the CD 1 in this box set, especially song number 10 Johnny B. Goode! I remember feeling so good when I listened to it, it made me want go out and rule the world! still does! I'm serious, every time I listen to this I feel like going out and try to make the world a better place, you know, eliminate world hunger, find cure for cancer, steal from the rich and give it to the poor,Image create jobs, build a rocket to go in to space and find different planets and aliens, end world tyranny, and spread freedom around the world etc,etc.!

Why the .... hasn't the CD 1 in this boxset been released on FTD or on any other label. I smell a conspiracy here! :D

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:Got the vinyl version and it's brilliant!



I too would love to have the vinyl version. I got the vinyl releases of the 50s & 60s box sets, along with Artist Of The Century & Collector's Gold viny sets. I missed a chance to get the That's The Way It Is box set and still kick myself for letting that one go. I still have my eye out for this one though.

Re: Box set

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:I'd like to see a single disc of the best of '69 live put together minis all the dialogues. Kind of an ultimate 1969 concert.

A 1969 disc with all the dialogue removed would not result in an ultimate 1969 concert experience.


I agree to a certain extent, but it might make it more palatable to a general audience. The In Person album has a fair bit of dialogue, but some of it is so quiet that it is almost inaudible. Certainly an "ultimate" 1969 live CD could be put together using one version of each song professionally recorded, and there would still be room for snippets of dialogue. Sadly, such a release is never going to happen after In Person got tucked away as the 2nd disc of a legacy edition - one of Sony's many strange choices with regards to the Presley Legacy editions, not least because I would argue In Person is the better album.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:24 pm

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:I got this boxset in 2006 and I think I had the Burbank 68 and Too Much Monkey Business FTD cds around the same time. I was more into the Burbank 68 cd , but I really loved the CD 1 in this box set, especially song number 10 Johnny B. Goode! I remember feeling so good when I listened to it, it made me want go out and rule the world! still does! I'm serious, every time I listen to this I feel like going out and try to make the world a better place, you know, eliminate world hunger, find cure for cancer, steal from the rich and give it to the poor,Image create jobs, build a rocket to go in to space and find different planets and aliens, end world tyranny, and spread freedom around the world etc,etc.

do it!!!

Re: Box set

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:I'd like to see a single disc of the best of '69 live put together minis all the dialogues. Kind of an ultimate 1969 concert.

A 1969 disc with all the dialogue removed would not result in an ultimate 1969 concert experience.


I agree to a certain extent, but it might make it more palatable to a general audience. The In Person album has a fair bit of dialogue, but some of it is so quiet that it is almost inaudible. Certainly an "ultimate" 1969 live CD could be put together using one version of each song professionally recorded, and there would still be room for snippets of dialogue. Sadly, such a release is never going to happen after In Person got tucked away as the 2nd disc of a legacy edition - one of Sony's many strange choices with regards to the Presley Legacy editions, not least because I would argue In Person is the better album.

It would have been better if Legacy had just released From Elvis in Memphis with the original album on disc one, and disc two devoted to outtakes and singles. That way, the original From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis could've been highlighted on a stand alone release, instead of being buried on disc 2 of the On Stage and FEIM sets. I always liked the flow of the original double album - a hot, mostly rockin' live set on disc 1, then a mellower, moodier set of studio tracks on the second disc.

Re: Box set

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:37 am

Lonely Summer wrote:It would have been better if Legacy had just released From Elvis in Memphis with the original album on disc one, and disc two devoted to outtakes and singles. That way, the original From Memphis to Vegas/From Vegas to Memphis could've been highlighted on a stand alone release, instead of being buried on disc 2 of the On Stage and FEIM sets. I always liked the flow of the original double album - a hot, mostly rockin' live set on disc 1, then a mellower, moodier set of studio tracks on the second disc.

Very legitimate point, Lonely Summer.
Afterall, that is the original way In Person/Back In Memphis were released
in the fall of 1969 >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-6020-fro ... o-memphis/

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:10 am

A really good set of cds - Lov It -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:23 am

epf wrote:I have some second thoughts on this set.
The 1969 show has the dialoge placed at the end of the cd! A major weird decision. Either leave it at its original (preferably) or totally remove it.
Worse even, to have mixed out the piano almost completely is a crime as the playing of the piano by Larry Mohuberac is just wonderfull and really adds something to the music.
Cd2 is great as it is.
Cd 3 and 4 should have been used for the best soundboards/multitracks after that. The 1956 show should have stayed, because he was coming back anyway, friends!

My understanding, from someone who had access to all the 1969 multi-tracks, is that Felton Jarvis varied how he mixed the instruments. So there was apparently no after-the-fact decision in 2001 to omit Muhoberac's keyboards.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:25 pm

What i notice alot on myself, is somehow i always return to this boxset for a particular track, Either to listen to them or to make a video with one of those tracks. I don't really listen to CD 1 because when i listen to 1969 shows its either Return Of A Prodigy, White Knight In Las Vegas (Yeah i know its re-titled to Live in Las Vegas but the first title i find better), or to All Shook Up. CD 2 has really good sound, especially knowing it came out in 2001. CD 3 i usually dont listen to since that whole cd is previously released on many many other releases. CD 4 is my most listened to cd of the set. Someday hope i got the money to buy the vinyl version of this set as i just love vinyl, it has better sound then cd's.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:What i notice alot on myself, is somehow i always return to this boxset for a particular track, Either to listen to them or to make a video with one of those tracks. I don't really listen to CD 1 because when i listen to 1969 shows its either Return Of A Prodigy, White Knight In Las Vegas (Yeah i know its re-titled to Live in Las Vegas but the first title i find better), or to All Shook Up. CD 2 has really good sound, especially knowing it came out in 2001. CD 3 i usually dont listen to since that whole cd is previously released on many many other releases. CD 4 is my most listened to cd of the set. Someday hope i got the money to buy the vinyl version of this set as i just love vinyl, it has better sound then cd's.


I hope you get the vinyl one day... I've got it and enjoyed it much more than the CD version. :D

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:10 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:What i notice alot on myself, is somehow i always return to this boxset for a particular track, Either to listen to them or to make a video with one of those tracks. I don't really listen to CD 1 because when i listen to 1969 shows its either Return Of A Prodigy, White Knight In Las Vegas (Yeah i know its re-titled to Live in Las Vegas but the first title i find better), or to All Shook Up. CD 2 has really good sound, especially knowing it came out in 2001. CD 3 i usually dont listen to since that whole cd is previously released on many many other releases. CD 4 is my most listened to cd of the set. Someday hope i got the money to buy the vinyl version of this set as i just love vinyl, it has better sound then cd's.


I hope you get the vinyl one day... I've got it and enjoyed it much more than the CD version. :D


Thank you very much, the vinyl version is so expensive.

Re: Box set "Live From Las Vegas" 4cds

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Great set to date